Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which matches perfectly with her leaving the house around 7:30 PM, jogging the route that we have had mapped out south. It also would put her near DR's house and presumably on her way back to the house at that time. There have been zero reported or confirmed sightings after DR's which gives very strong indications her run ended shortly after the DR sighting - one way or another.

I was very glad to read that LE re-constructed her run using cell phone pings, FitBit data AND eyewitness sightings, because I don't have a lot of faith in eyewitness sightings in general. Not that I don't believe that they have seen Mollie jogging, but whether it was Wednesday or not and whether the times are accurate.

The problem with that is that the dogs were still locked up in the basement. They were apparently protective dogs so they were a possible threat to anyone they were not familiar with coming in the house. The dogs were only put in the basement when no one was home. Also there was no sign of a struggle.
IMHO Mollie was taken from the area very close to her boyfriend's home. That house is somewhat isolated so that seems to me to be the most vulnerable spot. I just don't believe she ever made it back inside because of the dogs, and because there was no real sign that she ever made it back there.
Agreed. I believe she came upon her trouble at the driveway of the house. As a dog owner when my dogs are "put away" and I come home the first thing I do is bring them out. It's just routine.

Although I am disturbed by the comments that the dogs were in perfect condition, freshly fed. If Mollie never made it home from the jog that means the dogs were "put away" from 7-730 in the evening until late in the afternoon the next day? No scratches at the door, no upturned food bowls ---and I'm not talking about eating, my dogs don't eat when I'm gone---but they do get bored when left for a long time. It just doesn't make sense to me. Then I find myself wondering if she was taken in the morning as she headed out the door to go to her mom's to get the car for work. I keep going back and forth.

Excellent question! It seems to lead to only two possible options: one, that her commute plans were not known specifically by anyone else close to her, or two, that the intended ride-giver had something to do with her disappearance.

Or she was on her way to her mom's to get the car when she disappeared, or she was planning to text her brother when she got home and never made it, or she planned to walk to her mom's in the morning.

But if you combine that with DC's statement that she arrived back home (at least darn near), and we know she was spotted at about 9:00 PM by DR, then it'd make sense she could have been on her computer around 10 PM.

I agree. I think she made it back to the house, worked on homework, sent a goodnight snap, then...??

Okay I am a little confused here. Can't someone send a Snapchat from their phone? I am hearing about her sending a Snapchat from her computer. If she can send it from her phone (which is what I am thinking) she could have been in someone's home

All plausible... but here is where my thoughts are in all that...

I'm not on SM, Snapchat , etc but...
If I told my bf I was going to contact him at 10pm, and then decided I couldn't, but I didn't want him to worry or feel put off, I might schedule a message to be sent from my computer at the 10pm time. In that situation, I might include a pic of myself in my current clothes, and then later change clothes for my evening run. This would mean my clothes in the Snapchat wouldn't be my clothes on my run. With all that in mind, I think it could be the cause of confusion about what she was last seen wearing.
The Snapchat sent at 10pm could be seen as activity on the computer router, and initially it may have been assumed that meant she was there, on the computer, when in fact, she was not.

MG, I agree with you. I'm assuming LE will have used the Fitbit/phone tracking data to go knocking on doors along the digitally mapped route. Have you watched SharonNeedles' videos of Brooklyn? If so, where do you think the most likely spots for an abduction to go unseen/unheard are in the area surrounding DJ's house? I have a hard time seeing her getting into a vehicle, either voluntarily or involuntarily, on any of those residential streets without someone somewhere having seen something....unless it was dark outside.
I have seen the video, but I haven’t watched it closely enough to make a determination of where a roadside abduction likely could have occurred. If we are going with the likely scenario that she went jogging before dark, then pretty much any roadside abduction is still pretty brazen. Screams travel, and suspicious vehicles can be spotted. I know we’re talking about a pretty sparsely populated town, but you can never count on someone not driving by as you attempt to attack an unsuspecting jogger, or even offer this jogger a ride. I’m totally perplexed.

Last edited:
It’s definitely plausible that LE has a suspect here. I don’t think there would be a negotiation to “turn himself in,” as they could just go get him. Any negotiation would likely be between the DA and a lawyer in regards to a suspect confessing and leading LE to Mollie’s body. This would likely come only after an arrest.
True, IF they know where he is. On a rare occasion an attorney will act as an intermediary after he has been contacted by a client. The police may know who, but not where the suspect is.

Hi confusion, you are right, LE didnt confirm the pings, but it has been reported and widely believed that this is the case.

LE confirmation here...
Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of University Of Iowa Student Mollie Tibbetts

When Tibbetts' Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt(Mitch Mortvedt, spokesperson for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation) said.

All plausible... but here is where my thoughts are in all that...

If I told my bf I was going to contact him at 10pm, and then decided I couldn't, but I didn't want him to worry or feel put off, I might schedule a message to be sent from my computer at the 10pm time. In that situation, I might include a pic of myself in my current clothes, and then later change clothes for my evening run. This would mean my clothes in the Snapchat wouldn't be my clothes on my run. With all that in mind, I think it could be the cause of confusion about what she was last seen wearing.
The Snapchat sent at 10pm could be seen as activity on the computer router, and initially it may have been assumed that meant she was there, on the computer, when in fact, she was not.

You can only snapchat from your phone and you can't schedule snapchats to be sent.

Good grief if it really was 9, I think that’s longer than she was known to jog if she was spotted around 730 by NH, right? And nobody else (that we know of) saw her in the course of 1.5 hours (besides RT)? Ugh. 8 makes so much more sense.

I tend to think she stopped somewhere on that jog. It's very possible that LE has another witness that hasn't reached out to the media or has been asked not to speak out.

It’s possible, but why take the exact same things she would take on her run, to include her clothing, and go out again? You’d think she would have showered and changed afterwards. As for the Snap, to me, sending it before the run makes just as much sense as sending it afterwards. We simply can’t make a determination without the benefit of a solid timeline.
I generally don’t shower after I run or take a class at the gym. I go about whatever else I have planned and shower later. The only reason I would shower is if I had plans to go out again.

True, IF they know where he is. On a rare occasion an attorney will act as an intermediary after he has been contacted by a client. The police may know who, but not where the suspect is.
That’s a valid point, as it certainly happens.

According to the family dynamics, this was normal, so her mom didn't worry, assumed she was busy and just couldn't make it that night.

<mod fixed broken quote>

MsBetsy, if either of my children went missing (I have a boy and a girl) I would be all over the place like white on rice trying to find my kids. Even if LE told me to stay away I would sneak around at night or something (and have a good friend or my husband with me) doing investigative work. But that is me. I would be doing EVERYTHING I could (even if the FBI was involved and I trusted they would find her/him) to find him or her. I am a worrier.

Maybe Mollie's parents were not worriers. Some of us tend to worry MORE than others. My mom used to call me all the time when I went to college and left home. I am one of those people that doesn't like someone hoovering over me all the time (even though it is my mom). MANY times I would ignore my mom when she called me (that was back before I had a cell phone though and no computer or texting). My mom would tell me later that she was worried when I didn't get in touch. She said she was afraid something happened to me.

Some kids don't like a helicopter parent so to speak (I know I don't and funny I tend to be one to my kids) and it seems to me Mollie was like that. And it also seems to me it worked out good for her because Mollie's parents were not helicopter parents either. So if she didn't respond back about the brats that was probably normal for Mollie. Normal for Mollie's mom could mean she didn't get back with her right away or get worried that she didn't respond back right away or go over there for brats.

Last edited by a moderator:
MG, I agree with you. I'm assuming LE will have used the Fitbit/phone tracking data to go knocking on doors along the digitally mapped route. Have you watched SharonNeedles' videos of Brooklyn? If so, where do you think the most likely spots for an abduction to go unseen/unheard are in the area surrounding DJ's house? I have a hard time seeing her getting into a vehicle, either voluntarily or involuntarily, on any of those residential streets without someone somewhere having seen something....unless it was dark outside.

Most of the cases of women abducted or assaulted while jogging happen during the day. A woman in Bridgewater, MA was assaulted while jogging at 7:30am on a sunny residential street. Look at the surveillance video - right in front of houses with white picket fences. It happens.

SURVEILLANCE VIDEO: Man Attempts to Kidnap, Assault Jogger

If I told my bf I was going to contact him at 10pm, and then decided I couldn't, but I didn't want him to worry or feel put off, I might schedule a message to be sent from my computer
this is not a possibility with Snapchat. Snap is a mobile based app which is mostly aimed towards sending a photo/selfie of a moment in time that literally lasts (I think) 15-30 seconds to the receiver. If they choose they can replay the snap. (I use Snapchat a lot... more so than I should admit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyingHorses4