Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC Mitch Mortvedt (DCI) along with local LE was doing the previous pressers. I am confused how this is any different.

Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation
I may not be different. It all comes down to who planned the party. If the Powesheik County Sherriff’s department planned it I’m not expecting much. If DCI planned it I’m leaving work early to be there. And maybe the best way to know that is to ask - I’m going to try to find that out.

Apologies to mods as I am one of the peeps that posted a broken quote. System had changed since the last time I posted a lot on a thread, as far as the quote copying. When I attempted to take out a huge chunk of the quote that quoted the quote, I lost the first part and spent a good amount of time trying to fix it before giving up. I promise I'll be more careful.
I'm assuming you cant use your phone while working, so except for during a break, co-workers might not have had many chances to shoot a text to Mollie asking where she was. I'm assuming some did, and they went unanswered.Maybe LE is just trying to keep the circle small and the bf is already a known and identified entity-why add more people that the press will hound

I also think it is strange work did not call to ask where she was. Field trips are uncredubky stressful and the more hands available the better.

I would think they may even wait on her a bit to see if she would arrive.

Just wondering why no one from her job called sooner. I find that odd. Taking into consideration that
she worked in a place of wellness and had the great responsibility of children, it is a red flag to me that somebody did not call sooner. I am not sure I would use that daycare or camp if they were so casual about a good, loving employee not showing up. Maybe it's just me.

They probably called her number first, maybe assuming she overslept or had car trouble and then later it got escalated asking friends and family members.

As far as today's presser, I'm going along with the guess that no one has "cracked" this case yet, and the news conference will be a little more information about the timeline. Giving them an opportunity to ask the community to send in tips if they saw anything unusual, while providing very little in terms of new information...

Do we know that they didn’t? My guess is they called her cell phone a couple of times, but got no response.
I do think this is odd too. I can see letting it go if she was an unreliable person who did this often but she was working for a daycare. You showing up is a pretty big deal when little people are counting on you. If nothing else, the organization she works for found a major fault in their system of what to do when someone who typically always shows up for work doesn’t. Call the first emergency contact on their employee sheet.

Could someone remind me what time work notified the boyfriend that she hadn’t come to work? (Mid-afternoon??).

One possible reason for the delay in notification is due to the field trip going on that day. I am sure that day was much more hectic than most, with trying to get all the kids ready to go (bathroom breaks for them all, etc), transportation to the fair, etc with one fewer employee. I could see a call from the manager to alert family/boyfriend in the morning if it was a routine day.

Another thing to remember is (aside from some of us on this site :)), people do not automatically jump to idea that something is terribly wrong. People have a tendency to explain things away. However this is a bit different since it is a no show for a job.
Great point. Let’s say they were leaving for the fair at 9 and Mollie hadn’t shown yet. They call her phone once or twice as they are checking kids in and loading them up in vehicles. But they think, like most of us would, that the explanation for her tardiness is probably run of the mill. Maybe her alarm didn’t go off, her car wouldn’t start, her ride was late, she got sick and would call soon. Especially in a small town, with someone as clean cut as MT appears to be, your mind wouldn’t immediately drift to danger. Then, when they didn’t hear from Mollie after a couple hours, someone called her brother or boyfriend (or both) just to check in as a courtesy. They still, at that point, probably believed Mollie was late due to some legitimate issue and was having trouble reconnecting with them in the middle of a fair where they may not have a great phone signal and are constantly moving.

Yes, DCI is essentially Iowa’s state version of the FBI. They’re the top level criminal investigation agency at the state level.

My head’s exploding trying to speculate what that could mean. They are incredibly thorough and would most certainly postpone if they weren’t 100% ready to announce something.
Just found a YouTube video of A virtual tour of the DCI lab in Iowa. It’s really interesting. Not sure if it’s permitted to post url here. If not just search YouTube for it. :D

As far as today's presser, I'm going along with the guess that no one has "cracked" this case yet, and the news conference will be a little more information about the timeline. Giving them an opportunity to ask the community to send in tips if they saw anything unusual, while providing very little in terms of new information...
That is a definite possibility as well. It would be totally consistent with DCI’s role to decide when it’s appropriate to release more information.

I doubt Mollie has been found. I'm expecting DCI will share info about what they do know, that being someone took her. I expect a POI is in their sites also or possibly more than one who teamed up to take her. Would it be normal for them to name the POI? I know I've seen it before but I don't know if it's normal.

I've not seen anyone suggest MT went on a "food run." Let's say she had her jog, got back to the house and settled into homework. Whether or not she let the dogs out is unknown. Maybe she did, then put them back up when she decided to go back out. Maybe the dogs were always in the basement when no one was home.

Let’s say that once MT looked up from her homework, she realized she had not eaten. My memories from my son at that age (and my own youth) tell me that young people are more likely to be out-and-about at all hours than we more settled people.

Maybe she decided:
1. to go to a machine for a soda and/or chips or something. I've looked at the map and don't know where that would be, but Brooklyn is so small that every kid who lives there will know the closest location for outside, public drink machines.

2. to run over to Casey's, which appears to be the town's central location to grab a quick bite. Casey's is open until 11 and known for its pizza -- a magnet for young people. Plus, Casey’s looks closer than her mom’s house. Casey’s appears to be a gas station as well with another station sort of katty-corner.

Since she’s on foot, she tucks some money into her armband and sets out. Wallets, purses, etc are for when she has a car and will need her lipstick and hairbrush.

She’s in shape, so she can cover the distance quickly.

I think she went back out after doing homework. I suspect food or a soda pop was the motivating force, and Brooklyn went from being a Norman Rockwell sort of town to a Norman Bates town.

Apologies to mods as I am one of the peeps that posted a broken quote. System had changed since the last time I posted a lot on a thread, as far as the quote copying. When I attempted to take out a huge chunk of the quote that quoted the quote, I lost the first part and spent a good amount of time trying to fix it before giving up. I promise I'll be more careful.
I'm assuming you cant use your phone while working, so except for during a break, co-workers might not have had many chances to shoot a text to Mollie asking where she was. I'm assuming some did, and they went unanswered.Maybe LE is just trying to keep the circle small and the bf is already a known and identified entity-why add more people that the press will hound

Her boss or his designee should have called

Yes, DCI is essentially Iowa’s state version of the FBI. They’re the top level criminal investigation agency at the state level.

My head’s exploding trying to speculate what that could mean. They are incredibly thorough and would most certainly postpone if they weren’t 100% ready to announce something.
I totally agree, but I don't know. I am skeptical at the magnitude of any new information released unless it involves an arrest, or MT being found either dead or alive. I believe the whole time they have had a suspect, little to no evidence, no Mollie.

Pure speculation on my part - but I wonder if anybody from the University of Iowa has been missing for the same sort of time span as Mollie's disappearance. I guess if that was the case; the media would of tracked that info down, but the University has thousands of students; so maybe not.

There’s no telling what today’s PC will reveal, if anything, but if looking at an idea that can he applicable to both a random predator and/or one local and known to her, I think a disposal over the county lines is possible, maybe as we see in other cases here off a dirt road or bridge. It just makes sense to me at the moment, since there is absolutely nothing else to go on.

Marking to pick up here and look at distances to the county lines.

I doubt Mollie has been found. I'm expecting DCI will share info about what they do know, that being someone took her. I expect a POI is in their sites also or possibly more than one who teamed up to take her. Would it be normal for them to name the POI? I know I've seen it before but I don't know if it's normal.
Agreed. If Mollie had been found, once again I state that Dad (RT) would not have been out and about over the weekend. As for a POI, maybe a name would be released if they needed the public to help locate person(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spurr15