Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That wouldn't have been at all significant between my dad and me.

Nor between me and mine. I used to spend that long once a week with my parents on the phone. Upthread someone quoted the dad as saying that wasn't out of the ordinary for them, either.

Re: her job
I ran a summer camp for the local Boys and Girls' club. We might have texted if the staff didn't show, but we wouldn't have waited around. We always had extra volunteers for fieldtrips-grandparents, college kids, unemployed parents or SAHMs, etc. And our town is small, too-2,000 people. If a staff member didn't show, well, then it was their payday loss. Sometimes for fieldtrips we had more adults than kids.

Re: driver's license--I took a look at the Iowa laws. Driving without a valid driver's license is a misdemeanor.

On the other hand, driving with a valid driver's license that just doesn't happen to be in your possession is an 'infraction'--the worst that can happen is a fine, and there was a strong implication that you had a good chance of getting off with nothing.

Consider that her mother's place is about a mile, driving on quiet streets. And she's a pretty girl who may have already had experience to show her that big eyes and an apologetic voice can get you out of traffic tickets.

That's a roundabout way of saying that I agree.

Mom of two 20-somethings here. Once my girls went off to college, they and every other girl they knew had small wallet that attached to their key ring that they kept their student ID and their DL in. Keys and both ID's all in one handy spot. Grab and go. I actually have not noticed if they are still doing this. I'll have to ask.

I just can't picture driving anywhere without the DL. I grew up in a rural area where I knew the name of every deputy and officer and I would never assume that I could get out of anything. No one I know drives around with their DL around here.

I’ll see if I can help here.

Whenever you hit reply, he quote you are referencing will appear in the text box. It is encased by an opening and closing tag, for example (have to type it out so it doesn’t code):

Open bracket QUOTE Close bracket
Hi MrBetsy
Open bracket Backslash QUOTE close bracket

If one of these tags gets deleted during the reply process, then it basically messes everything up.

(That’s my foggy precoffee explanation)

-so, in other words, if you see a post that shows one of these tags displaying openly in the message body, do not reply to it because it is “incomplete” codewise. Rather hit “report” and tell a mod “broken quote”.

Also when replying to a post, make sure the reply you are referencing has both the opening and closing tags referenced above before hitting reply.
Wow. I am going to have to read your post a couple of times before I get it. I have never been good at technology. By the way you called me mister... ha ha

<modsnipped>

<modsnipped reply>

It's a pain that they have run the article as it's not a well-researched story.

The thing is that Mollie's case has attracted some nasty trolls who've been posting on her FB page on the missing posts on there, they've been posting replies to numerous news articles about Mollie being missing, <modsnipped>

<modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if she just didn't bring it with her. If she was wearing running clothes it's very possible she wouldn't have a pocket for her ID/wallet. Only a mile from her boyfriend's house to her mom's house, and I'm sure she's driven the route a few hundred times. I know some are very strict rule-followers, but I wouldn't think twice driving about driving a familiar one mile route without my license. (To clarify, I possess a driver's license, but am saying I would drive such a short route if I didn't have the physical license on me. ie if I forgot it or something like that.)

To each their own, and it probably depends on Mollie's personality, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if she didn't think it was a big deal. JMO

It's been reported that her wallet/IDs and all of that were at the house. It's not too far of a leap to assume that her keys were there also.

JMO.

This is confusing this old codger. :(
Are we talking about going to mom's at night or the next morning (on her way to work where she would probably take her wallet/ID at a minimum)?

To me the wallet/ID being left at the boyfriend's house mean she wasn't headed to work when whatever happened happened.
Likely wasn't heading anywhere out of the small local area, but guess I'm not ready to say that 100% yet.

I'm pretty strongly of the opinion she disappeared on Wednesday night, and that she left the boyfriend's house voluntarily and likely alone.

Wow. I am going to have to read your post a couple of times before I get it. I have never been good at technology. By the way you called me mister... ha ha

(Hahaha sorry about that MsBetsy..still foggy. I didn’t explain myself the greatest either.

Basically hit reply to a post and look at what comes up. Look for the opening and closing tags I mentioned. Now imagine one of those tags getting deleted while writing a post. That’s what causes a broken quote. Basically your response and the text of the poster to whom you are replying gets merged, then a ripple effect is created as someone quotes/replies to you, who then quotes/replies to someone else...

So when replying to someone, make sure you don’t write your content until after the closing tag of the quote you are referencing.)

Last edited:
Mom of two 20-somethings here. Once my girls went off to college, they and every other girl they knew had small wallet that attached to their key ring that they kept their student ID and their DL in. Keys and both ID's all in one handy spot. Grab and go. I actually have not noticed if they are still doing this. I'll have to ask.

I just can't picture driving anywhere without the DL. I grew up in a rural area where I knew the name of every deputy and officer and I would never assume that I could get out of anything. No one I know drives around with their DL around here.
I drive a mile (and back) to the bus stop everyday and never think to bring my licence. In my pjs. Seems alot of other moms do too.

Hahaha sorry about that MsBetsy..still foggy. I didn’t explain myself the greatest either.

Basically hit reply to a post and look at what comes up. Look for the opening and closing tags I mentioned. Now imagine one of those tags getting deleted while writing a post. That’s what causes a broken quote. Basically your response and the poster you are replying tia text get merged, then a ripple effect is created as someone replies to you, who replies to someone else...
I think I got it!

I drive a mile (and back) to the bus stop everyday and never think to bring my licence. In my pjs. Seems alot of other moms do too.

I guess I get that but that seems a daily habit on a short jig. Are you getting on a highway? I can see if you are in a neighborhood going around the corner.

I think people want to know what an actual broken quote looks like. Is it when people respond inside another’s post- in between the quotes?

Margarita's post explains it best. It's hard to show what happens after a broken quote is quoted... It ends up with the 'quote' getting the wrong poster's name attached to the quote, so instead of this quote saying "Suglo said" it might say "PommyMommy said" when it wasn't she who made the post inside the quote.

It's a while since I've seen it happen, I missed it in this thread, so I'm trying to go from memory.

I think what happens is that the first time where the broken quote occurs you end up with the word "QUOTE" sitting in a post but there's no quote box background. And it can happen if someone typing their own quotes (I'm guilty of this sometimes) misses of the / from the close quote tag, or if you quote someone and then you backspace out your reply and go a bit too far and end up removing the final ] from the [ /quote ] tag. So that's another thing to watch out for when you quote someone and backspace that you ensure the ] hasn't been removed.

If you are quoting someone, it is best if you don't put your reply inside the original 'quote' tags as it's so hard to see that there's anything in the quote box other than the original quote.

For what it’s worth, if DCI had determined conclusively that Mollie is either dead or alive they definitely would not have told her father. It’s also in the realm of possibility that Powesheik County scheduled their regular “no info” update press conference Friday and DCI canceled it based on what DCI now knows or intends to release. DCI is tight lipped and thurough, and I believe that even though the FBI is assisting in the investigation DCI is still in charge.

Wanted to vote for anything but 'word salad' but couldn't. Until I see otherwise from Winker and team, I will assume it will be the usual formula of:

1) - Sheriff rehashes what we already know - MT missing, tip line set up, call with info, blah blah blah
2) - Winker says team is following up on all possibilities and investigating hundreds of leads, prioritizing them and being all investigate-y
3) - Winker gives non-answers for 10 minutes when asked for specific details about potential POI, WC's property searches, did MT leave voluntarily, etc.

Optional #4 would be having fam members or DJ speak and ask for public's help. They may do this if 1-3 above are going to happen because that will royally piss off many in public and press who will consider PC a waste of time. Having MT's fam speak after will soften it and may earn public's attention back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak