Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case just rips at my heart. I was in Iowa visiting my mom in Grinnell for the month of July. My adult kids live in Waterloo. I drove past that Brooklyn sign that says Brooklyn 8 miles ahead almost every day as I made trips to Waterloo. I still can't remember where I was on July 18th.

So, my theory--for what it's worth which isn't much, lol

Mollie dog sitting, being alone in the house has nothing to do with this case. I believe the perp is 40-50 years old--ok maybe 35-50. I think even those that know him consider him a bit creepy and wouldn't want to leave their kids alone with him. He's married or divorced maybe grown kids or no kids, but he doesn't have young children.

I think he has committed rapes or abductions of women for many years. He's a pro.
Why did he take Mollie? I believe he decided he needed a girl. He's from the general area, within 1-2 hours at the most. He gathered what he needed (tape, rope whatever) and headed out to see what he could find. He probably cruised through a few small towns in the area. Didn't see anything interesting until he was in Brooklyn and glimpsed Mollie. The town was dead so it was the perfect scenario.

I think he followed her through her run waiting for a spot where it was perfect to take her. I'm not sure where that spot was during her run.

My guess is he made his way out to a gravel road outside of town, did what he did and dumped her somewhere within an hour of Brooklyn. Made his way home and is watching all this on the news.

I also believe the reason the FBI is involved is they too believe this is someone who has committed multiple crimes in Iowa that have been unsolved. Mollie's is the 1st with such a strong digital footprint and they are putting all their focus on locating him that way.

It will come down to someone seeing a car and reporting it. The car will be the key.
And why in the world have they not searched Rock Creek State Park?! My mom lives there and the back road through that park is creepy as can be with old dilapidated houses back there and tons of wood and brush.

Maybe I've watched too many crime shows.

Long time lurker...first post. I’ve gone through most of threads as best I could looking for this answer. On MT FB page the day after she went missing two neighbors said they saw her jogging past their homes around 5-5:30ish. Why are most of the other sightings later that evening around 7-9pm time range? How accurate is the timeline?

If a person was missing in my neighborhood I would allow the authorities to search anything they wanted to. It's not like under these circumstance they're going to say ....oh no.....i found some pot....you're coming with me. (just an example....presuming pot is illegal there) They're looking for a missing young woman or anything that indicates she was there or the people know something.

Not me ... No telling what they would find in my car or my wife's mini van. Knowing my luck a hammer, shovel, and tarp would get my car impounded for weeks

From what little LE has said...it almost seems her social media, etc is irrelevant. As in, it did not yield clues or show any communications that could lead to a suspect, last minute plans, etc...so her digital trail may be no more than a few iffy pings...

Not me ... No telling what they would find in my car or my wife's mini van. Knowing my luck a hammer, shovel, and tarp would get my car impounded for weeks

Agreed. I understand wanting to help as much as possible but sometimes that can get you in trouble- even if you did nothing wrong. I got stopped by a LE before and they thought my window breaking device was a type of weapon (for anyone who doesn't know what that is, upload_2018-8-15_20-24-6.jpeg here's a picture). Anything can look bad in the 'right' situation.

Long time lurker...first post. I’ve gone through most of threads as best I could looking for this answer. On MT FB page the day after she went missing two neighbors said they saw her jogging past their homes around 5-5:30ish. Why are most of the other sightings later that evening around 7-9pm time range? How accurate is the timeline?

Yeah, 7-9 would be a bit late for a jog around town. Maybe they're referring to EST? I don't know. Good question.

JMO.

I would assume that visiting every registered sex offender within a good-sized radius of the area of the last sighting of Mollie would have been one of the very first things LE did.

Many RSOs and released violent offenders will have parole or probation conditions that allow for searches or visits by LE too. They do not always regain all of the privacy protections that we enjoy.

Yeah, 7-9 would be a bit late for a jog around town. Maybe they're referring to EST? I don't know. Good question.

JMO.

Since it's the middle of summer and the time she went missing was pretty hot everywhere, I don't think 7-9 is too late for a jog. I believe one neighbor said they saw her stroll by around 8:30 or so and I would assume they meant local time not EST.

This case just rips at my heart. I was in Iowa visiting my mom in Grinnell for the month of July. My adult kids live in Waterloo. I drove past that Brooklyn sign that says Brooklyn 8 miles ahead almost every day as I made trips to Waterloo. I still can't remember where I was on July 18th.

So, my theory--for what it's worth which isn't much, lol

Mollie dog sitting, being alone in the house has nothing to do with this case. I believe the perp is 40-50 years old--ok maybe 35-50. I think even those that know him consider him a bit creepy and wouldn't want to leave their kids alone with him. He's married or divorced maybe grown kids or no kids, but he doesn't have young children.

I think he has committed rapes or abductions of women for many years. He's a pro.
Why did he take Mollie? I believe he decided he needed a girl. He's from the general area, within 1-2 hours at the most. He gathered what he needed (tape, rope whatever) and headed out to see what he could find. He probably cruised through a few small towns in the area. Didn't see anything interesting until he was in Brooklyn and glimpsed Mollie. The town was dead so it was the perfect scenario.

I think he followed her through her run waiting for a spot where it was perfect to take her. I'm not sure where that spot was during her run.

My guess is he made his way out to a gravel road outside of town, did what he did and dumped her somewhere within an hour of Brooklyn. Made his way home and is watching all this on the news.

I also believe the reason the FBI is involved is they too believe this is someone who has committed multiple crimes in Iowa that have been unsolved. Mollie's is the 1st with such a strong digital footprint and they are putting all their focus on locating him that way.

It will come down to someone seeing a car and reporting it. The car will be the key.
And why in the world have they not searched Rock Creek State Park?! My mom lives there and the back road through that park is creepy as can be with old dilapidated houses back there and tons of wood and brush.

Maybe I've watched too many crime shows.

I have wondered this case for a while. I don’t want anything to be discounted, but keep focusing back on what makes sense from the evidence and eye witness reports.

What stands out (to me) is the witnesses who went public seeing her run by, or said they were told by investigators she ran by, their homes.

I wonder about those who saw her, but didn’t go public.

That’s why I think it might be a local, and why she may have been stalked. I am sure there is a reason the house she was dog sitting while her boyfriend was out of town is still marked as important on the map.

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

Investigators focus on 5 areas in search for missing student Mollie Tibbetts

In my opinion.

SNAPCHAT: We've Turned Over A Dozen Unopened Snaps To Law Enforcement
"Unlike unopened Snaps, which are stored until viewed or for 30 days if not opened, Snaps that have been added to your Stories are deleted from our servers after 24 hours."
Theoretically Mollie could have sent that Snapchat many hours before her boyfriend opened it.

Yep, I understand she could have sent it long before he opened it...was just speculating on whether that statement gives us a more narrow timeframe as to when she could have actually sent it.

In July it would still be light at 8:30...dark by 9pm I think. I don’t think anyone saw her before 7:30 on that day? I think L.e is using 5-10 to cover when a strange vehicle may have been seen i.e for people to let them know, in case he scoped out the area for a few hours.

I actually believe that’s the only plausible theory.

If so, this theory takes one into a really small subset of people who had her 1) Trust 2) Knew she was alone, 3) Appeared comfortable engaging her between 9-10 at the house and 4) would not attract any attention or raise suspicions by going over there and 5) She would willingly accompany out of her house without her ID or wallet. You are in a pretty close F & F circle. You're talking about what? 10-15-20 people tops.

I am bothered by several things I am not going to delve into. This could have been the trip to go get her car that went horribly wrong, but then her license stays at home. (Has there been any mention of her keys? Were her keys there, assuming she had her own set?) A person who had this level of trust would not need to snatch her off the street, or even follow her jogging. He had an expressway of trust and her complete confidence.

IMHO this sounds more like the latest summer flick rather than what happens in real life....

Women go running in sports bras and shorts by the tens of thousands per day and it is very rare that a neighbor harbors and then acts on fantasies about them.

Serial killers, however, and other perps are known to target women running alone on trails on a regular basis. It’s a well-known danger for women to be alone on a jogging path that has some isolated areas.

I do think the number that harbors fantasies is likely large, acting a whole different thing.

A little OT - When I was much younger and was living with a boyfriend, we had an acquaintance drop by one evening and I had a brand new expensive mascara on my bathroom counter, and the guy went in, put on his eyebrows, and then asked if we recognized him!!!! (Talk about an idiot). I later went in there and he had stolen my mascara. Little did we know then, he used his "incredible disguise" to rob a bank the next morning. He called me a couple of hours later at work, and all I could keep saying was how dare you steal my mascara. To make a long st0ry short, an hour or so after that I got a call from the FBI wanting me and my boyfriend to come and be questioned. Within an hour the FBI not only had arrested him, but had a tap on my phone. How they tied him to me, I have no idea. But, I thought, "Wow, those FBI are really something." I thought they could do anything and find anybody. I was very impressed, which may be why I am so disenhearted now. I thought they always got their man, and hopefully, they will soon. Thanks, Katt Sorry for such a long story with no helpful info.

I wish LE would address having people search their land and outbuildings...especially in towns and counties adjoining. Brooklyn, where they would not have searched themselves. Morgan was found on private land and it took well over a year? Or longer? Very likely the perp drive so e miles out of town. I doubt she is within town limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper