Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, LE would not hesitate to question ANYONE they suspected of the kidnap/murder (if that's what this is) of MT. A simple arrest of the perp is not good enough. He may be the only lifeline to Mollie's continued existence. LE has to be very careful in its every move so as not to startle the perp into killing her rashly. For that reason alone, this is a very tricky case to solve.
Furthermore, I've always felt that MT's connections with the university may be the key to the puzzle. Is the bf a student there, too? Or does he just stay back in Brooklyn while she's away at the university? Is she just a sophomore at 20 years of age? Shouldn't she be starting her third year there now? Can you imagine all the contacts she may have there? Iowa City is not very far from Brooklyn. Anyone could have come over from there on that fateful night to see her.

Also, how does she get back and forth to work in Grinnell (a town of 9,200 pop) every day? Does her biological mother live in Brooklyn?

Okay, perhaps my bonnet's on too tight now, but I felt a need to at least explore an alternate route that begins at dot 4. Mind you, this is not my top theory, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.

1. Electric company worker is working (or pretending to work) near dot 4. There are electric poles around that section. He could be logged there as assigned, or witnessed there, etc. This part is open-ended for me.

2. He drives the company vehicle back to the co-op and waits in his personal vehicle until he sees MT running home. He's maybe the last one to leave the office that day (working late, etc.). He knows the camera is non-operational and he knows MT's schedule because it's right next door. Also he would notice she's alone.

3. He grabs her in front of the co-op and heads down West St. to W. Pershing (the most populated part of this scenario).

4. He turns down Orchard St. because it is the straightest, least populated shot to W. 2nd St., which can take him all the way to V18 (Clay St). From there he turns south. *This takes him past Casey's AND the car wash.

5. He drives past the truck stop and continues south on V18, which curves at 420, which he takes to V21 and turns south. One miles takes him to dot 5 on the map.

This scenerio leaves too many questions, because I think they would know who the perp is, but maybe a few shots of his vehicle on the way out of town isn't concrete enough? Then he showed up to work the next day like normal.

All MOO - and just barely
Seems like if you were going to grab her by the Co-Op or the BFs house, the fastest way out of there would be 170th to US6. Not sure why anyone not wanting to be seen would go through town. She may have been seen in town and followed, though.

I can think of several cases where this happened, but we are not supposed to mention other cases in this thread. But there have been several high profile cases in the last few years where that was actually the case.
I think you can discuss other cases as long as it pertains to this case. But statistically, when considering missing persons cases where foul play is involved, it is extremely rare for victims to have been kept captive for many years. The reason those cases get so much publicity and attention is because it is so rare.

“Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM.”
https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

Just popping by with a thought.....

I don’t think this ask by LE necessarily relates to Mollie’s known physical presence. I think it involves the process of elimination in seeking a suspect.

In or around those locations LE may have CCTV footage of unidentified vehicles and unidentified people plus cellular data of unidentified devices. Considering LE hasn’t revealed specific information regarding the time and place where Mollie disappeared, if that is indeed unknown, people voluntarily coming forward to identify themselves is an excellent means for LE to identify who and why those people were out and about in the area that evening. After that they can zero in on the unknown, who and what remains identified.

JMO

That wasn't what I was referring to, I was addressing a previous post in which you said her background in psychology and her strong ties to her family would make her resilient in a situation in which she was held captive. It had nothing to do with being dead or alive. The post you are responding to was in response to that particular statement, before the concept of it being better dead or alive came up at all. Hope that clears it up.
Go back earlier, I responded with the opinion about resiliency because someone said they didn't think anyone who had been tormented would want to still be alive. That the alternative(death) would be better because they could never be the same. I think there have been many people who have been subjected to horrible treatment, including being abducted, kept in a box, kept underground, kept and made to bear children for a crazy person, the list goes on. There are many who have survived that recovered and thrived who had less resources than Mollie.

I apologize that I couldn’t make the trip to Brooklyn today. My grandson went to er last nite. He has pneumonia. Planning on Tuesday if all goes well. I worry she won’t be found before winter hits. And l I’m going to do everything in my power to search until then, I promise. I’ll be Checking on 2 areas of interest. Electric Co cameras & distance between noted dots of interest. Anything else please let me know.
That's so wonderful! It's great to have "boots on the ground", so to speak. The only request I have is that if you can, talk to some people in town, say at Casey's.

You should see some of the posts on Twitter. One “psychic” tagged an investigator and told him to fly to Las Vegas, and she would explain everything to him. Someone needs to dig up Sylvia Browne or Miss Cleo. Lol
Exactly.
Psychic: "You are about to lose a very large amount of money."
Customer: "Thank you for the reading, but I don't really believe your prediction."
Psychic: "That'll be $300."
On a more serious note, many crime psychics volunteer their time, and it would be interesting to see what they have to say about this case. Though it might end up being like that fortune cookie prediction I got at Pei Wei recently, which accurately noted, "You like Chinese food."
-AC

Listened to podcast

I listened to podcast. Unusual LE statement to announce a projected return time period, for MT. It indicated that info from a LE source? Un-named.
So no legitimate confirmation of such claim. IMO, not credible.
I agree. I would probably not count NG as MSM, myself. More like a tabloid. JMO.

I only follow a few select Websleuther cases that draw me in, so that I am able to read all the threads and posts for a given case.

Even though I agree that all the theories have been covered by now, most likely, people here are still unearthing new details which (in my opinion) raise or lower the likelihood of each scenario. So I do appreciate the thoughtfulness. And I do believe that in some cases, law enforcement even follow along with our discussions just in case an idea surfaces through this sort of crowd sourced discussion that they had not previously considered.

So even if all the theories have been covered, I encourage people to keep thinking and offering suggestions, if for no other reason than to stand with Mollie. To say we care. That it isn’t acceptable when things like this occur in society. And to show there are many good people who are still intent on preserving goodwill and helping others.

I will say that in the cases I have followed on Websleuths in the past, dozens if not hundreds of theories and sub-theories are usually thrown out—some of which are astronomically unlikely to be true.;) But in almost all cases I have followed, the explanation ends up being far simpler than the things our imaginations can come up with...perhaps in part because we want Mollie to be alive somehow.

In this case, my experience tells me to look for the simplest explanation:

1. My first pick is friend/acquaintance abduction, that may not have started out as an abduction. In which case I think it’s statistically most likely Mollie is dead (although I’d love to find out she is 1 of the exceptions and has been kept alive).

2. My second pick, nearly running neck to neck with the first, is an unintentional/accidental death or medical emergency that resulted in the body being temporarily concealed (cornfield).

As for number one, I haven’t personally seen much indication that Mollie would leave on her own, initially, but bc of certain comments from fam or LE, I leave room for the fact there may be other unknown details that support that possibility. If she left willingly (at first), I think she was heavily influenced by another party who is fairly close/known to her and didn’t intend for it to go this far. I think it’s FARRR more likely she was taken against her will, but I leave this open only bc family and LE seem to sometimes imply she could be being held and bc we don’t yet have evidence of struggle or foul play.

I don’t think it’s sex trafficking, organized crime, serial killers, a revenge abduction, killing by an ex or jealous woman, an electric customer, etc.

Doesn’t mean 1 of those exceptions couldn’t play out as true in the end, but in my experience, simple reigns.

In the Tad Cummins (teacher who abducted student)case, for ex., the simple version Websleuthers came up with ended up being pretty close to reality. Bc there was evidence he had groomed her and she had left willingly, we expected he would travel to a distant remote area and possibly try to cross the border (he was found in a distant remote place and it was revealed he had considered trying to cross the border but didn’t go through with it). The thing I got wrong though is I gave the perp more credit for planning than I should have. I really thought he would have gone to greater lengths to disguise themselves, to perhaps secure fake IDs and so on, given his education level. In the end though, their departure was more the story of a frantic couple on the run who were making decisions by the seat of their pants.

So my goal going forward is to think toward what is most simple and most likely given the circumstances and not to let movies and law shows influence me to think the average perp is a calculated mastermind. Many times they are people who struggle with mental illness who act impulsively and do only a fair job covering it up. We will see here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like if you were going to grab her by the Co-Op or the BFs house, the fastest way out of there would be 170th to US6. Not sure why anyone not wanting to be seen would go through town. She may have been seen in town and followed, though.
I totally agree, which is why this is NOT my top theory. However, if the perp grabbed her by bf's house with a southern location in mind, this would be the most direct route out of town. Plus, it covers all areas talked about (Casey's, car wash, witnesses statements accounted for since her jog was complete, and even the recovered/found report at 415 W. Pershing (IF this is of any relation). An electric company worker would also explain how they knew she was alone, so that wouldn't be such a coincidence, nor would be the camera on the co-op not functioning.

And it's actually not much more town driving than the current idea of grabbing her along jogging route and heading east on 385.

Mollie Tibbetts' father LEAVES Iowa and returns to California a month after his daughter vanished - as investigators are still no closer to solving her disappearance

Mollie Tibbetts' father leaves Iowa a month after her disappearance | Daily Mail Online

I’m really not happy with the headline of this article. It is like they are trying to shame Mr. Tibbetts for leaving. Mollie’s family are doing the best the can under unimaginable and horrendous circumstances.

P.s I did not put the headline in bold the Websleuths site does that.

I agree. I would probably not count NG as MSM, myself. More like a tabloid. JMO.
The problem isn’t NG itself, it is the reports being cited in the discussion. It sounds like that article from “the publication that shall not be named,” was used in the podcast in question. NG is great if there are interviews from relevant parties, but it is definitely “tabloidy.”

Exactly.
Psychic: "You are about to lose a very large amount of money."
Customer: "Thank you for the reading, but I don't really believe your prediction."
Psychic: "That'll be $300."
On a more serious note, many crime psychics volunteer their time, and it would be interesting to see what they have to say about this case. Though it might end up being like that fortune cookie prediction I got at Pei Wei recently, which accurately noted, "You like Chinese food."
-AC
I predict that someone soon will ask a question that can be answered by reading the WS known facts at the start of each thread.... That's freebie , guys and girls.

which makes me wonder what companies around there might be working 12 hour shifts 3 days on, 4 days off. (if there are any) I was just reminded that one department where I work considers Wednesday their Friday because they work Sunday - Wednesday. But, I agree that having to go back to work the next day might be a deterrent. People who work M-F during the day might be too tired to plan anything for the evening. I don't think it would likely be a single father with small children, either, since they would probably have visitation on Wednesday evening.

Jaclin, I was thinking that too. My husband works for AT&T (installing phone lines and internet and all that stuff) and they have random hours. Some days he is off 3 days at a time, some days 1 day at a time and some days 2 days at a time. What if this perp had one of those kinds of job where he had 2 days off (REASON he didn't abduct Mollie the first day she was at her boyfriend's house) and those days were Wednesday and Thursday. So that would be WHY he abducted her Wednesday and he had Thursday off so that would give him time Wednesday night to do what he needed to do to hide evidence or whatever. JMO. I was also thinking that this perp could have very well been off work in the middle of the week if he worked for say a job like doing electric work, etc.. I say that because my husband has been off work many times in the middle of the week (his schedule changes all the time). Just a thought.

Last edited:
“Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM.”
https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

Just popping by with a thought.....

I don’t think this ask by LE necessarily relates to Mollie’s known physical presence. I think it involves the process of elimination in seeking a suspect.

In or around those locations LE may have CCTV footage of unidentified vehicles and unidentified people plus cellular data of unidentified devices. Considering LE hasn’t revealed specific information regarding the time and place where Mollie disappeared, if that is indeed unknown, people voluntarily coming forward to identify themselves is an excellent means for LE to identify who and why those people were out and about in the area that evening. After that they can zero in on the unknown, who and what remains identified.

JMO
Indeed, the dot by MT's bf's house could be out of interest for the co-op rather than the house. Sorry, I know I'm on a co-op kick.

MOO

[QUOTE="ketel0ne, post: 14304637, member: 4986"]Just people tossing out terms to appear brilliant on the internet. Essentially the cat isn't dead or alive if you don't have proof either way.

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment, sometimes described as a paradox, devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. It illustrates what he saw as the problem of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics applied to everyday objects.

I find your knowledge of 'Schrödinger's' quite brillant!![/QUOTE]

I always have preferred Schrodinger's rattlesnake. You don't know if you've been bit until you put your hand in the box!

It was just a poster's way of pointing out that we have no way of actually knowing if MT is alive or dead until she is found. Sad but true, and a good reason for the increasing frustration that is apparent in all of us participating in this discussion. Keep the faith guys.

God bless MT, her grieving family and friends, and all of the lost and missing!

respectfully snipped for space
So my goal going forward is to think toward what is most simple and most likely given the circumstances and not to let movies and law shows influence me to think the average perp is a calculated mastermind. Many times they are people who struggle with mental illness who act impulsively and do only a fair job covering it up. We will see here.
And I think it's natural to try to avoid that theory by thinking about everything but the spontaneous or unplanned occurrence by a disturbed individual. Because there is no real way to avoid those scenarios unless we all never leave our houses and live in a locked cell. They may be more rare scenarios, but they happen enough that it's always possible. And that makes for uncomfortable thoughts for most of us. Much better to have something that can be fixed/solved/defined. moo

I totally agree, which is why this is NOT my top theory. However, if the perp grabbed her by bf's house with a southern location in mind, this would be the most direct route out of town. Plus, it covers all areas talked about (Casey's, car wash, witnesses statements accounted for since her jog was complete, and even the recovered/found report at 415 W. Pershing (IF this is of any relation). An electric company worker would also explain how they knew she was alone, so that wouldn't be such a coincidence, nor would be the camera on the co-op not functioning.

And it's actually not much more town driving than the current idea of grabbing her along jogging route and heading east on 385.
I wonder if the "taker" may have only went South on the 19th, in order to get rid of the phone/fitbit only, in the vicinity of WC's ?

I only follow a few select Websleuther cases that draw me in, so that I am able to read all the threads and posts for a given case.

Even though I agree that all the theories have been covered by now, most likely, people here are still unearthing new details which (in my opinion) raise or lower the likelihood of each scenario. So I do appreciate the thoughtfulness. And I do believe that in some cases, law enforcement even follow along with our discussions just in case an idea surfaces through this sort of crowd sourced discussion that they had not previously considered.

So even if all the theories have been covered, I encourage people to keep thinking and offering suggestions, if for no other reason than to stand with Mollie. To say we care. That it isn’t acceptable when things like this occur in society. And to show there are many good people who are still intent on preserving goodwill and helping others.

I will say that in the cases I have followed on Websleuths in the past, dozens if not hundreds of theories and sub-theories are usually thrown out—some of which are astronomically unlikely to be true.;) But in almost all cases I have followed, the explanation ends up being far simpler than the things our imaginations can come up with...perhaps in part because we want Mollie to be alive somehow.

In this case, my experience tells me to look for the simplest explanation:

1. My first pick is friend/acquaintance abduction, that may not have started out as an abduction. In which case I think it’s statistically most likely Mollie is dead (although I’d love to find out she is 1 of the exceptions and has been kept alive).

2. My second pick, nearly running neck to neck with the first, is an unintentional/accidental death or medical emergency that resulted in the body being temporarily concealed (cornfield).

As for number one, I haven’t personally seen much indication that Mollie would leave on her own, initially, but bc of certain comments from fam or LE, I leave room for the fact there may be other unknown details that support that possibility. If she left willingly (at first), I think she was heavily influenced by another party who is fairly close/known to her and didn’t intend for it to go this far. I think it’s FARRR more likely she was taken against her will, but I leave this open only bc family and LE seem to sometimes imply she could be being held and bc we don’t yet have evidence of struggle or foul play.

I don’t think it’s sex trafficking, organized crime, serial killers, a revenge abduction, killing by an ex or jealous woman, an electric customer, etc.

Doesn’t mean 1 of those exceptions couldn’t play out as true in the end, but in my experience, simple reigns.

In the Tad Cummins (teacher who abducted student)case, for ex., the simple version Websleuthers came up with ended up being pretty close to reality. Bc there was evidence he had groomed her and she had left willingly, we expected he would travel to a distant remote area and possibly try to cross the border (he was found in a distant remote place and it was revealed he had considered trying to cross the border but didn’t go through with it). The thing I got wrong though is I gave he perp more credit for planning than I should have. I really thought he would have gone to greater lengths to disguise themselves, to perhaps secure fake IDs and so on, given his education level. In the end though, their departure was more the story of a frantic couple on the run who were making decisions by the seat of their pants.

I do think that the third option is worth consideration, and that is an abduction from someone outside her circle, a stranger abduction. It’s less likely than it being someone closer to her, but still plausible. This would be more a crime of opportunity in that case, although he may have seen her before and thought about abducting her at that point. This abduction would be sexually motivated, and she would almost certainly be dead.

Dittos 2 u once again. A decade? Heck, I had a tshirt back in 2004 that had a pic of a cat with words, "Schrodinger's cat is dead" written across the back, so it's been a meme and part of the cultural lingo for at least 14 years. So, yeah, it's not complex or arcane. Thx i'm-someone.
-AC
I've only had access to the internet very recently. I was one of those people who was always reading a book. Thought I never had time for the internet. Maybe that's why I never heard about the experiment, it's not something soccer mom's ever bring up, unfortunately. I'll have to research it, as it doesn't make sense based on what I know about experiments; if a cat is contained within a box it will make a tremendous effort to get out. Why would that NOT lead one to assume it is alive? I'm going to have to research this. On the internet, of course, since I have not read a book in 6 months. STILL, it has been mentioned twice at least, and I do not see any relevance to the disappearance of Mollie. We do NOT have a live subject nor a box that they are contained in to allow us to observe or make conclusions. That's why I was confused. And that is why I asked about it.

I think you can discuss other cases as long as it pertains to this case. But statistically, when considering missing persons cases where foul play is involved, it is extremely rare for victims to have been kept captive for many years. The reason those cases get so much publicity and attention is because it is so rare.
Mollie's case is rare in many ways. I wouldn't discourage anyone from hoping that she's one of the lucky ones to come back alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
podreal