Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only had access to the internet very recently. I was one of those people who was always reading a book. Thought I never had time for the internet. Maybe that's why I never heard about the experiment, it's not something soccer mom's ever bring up, unfortunately. I'll have to research it, as it doesn't make sense based on what I know about experiments; if a cat is contained within a box it will make a tremendous effort to get out. Why would that lead one to assume it is alive? I'm going to have to research this. On the internet, of course, since I have not read a book in 6 months. STILL, it has been mentioned twice at least, and I do not see any relevance to the disappearance of Mollie. We do NOT have a live subject nor a box that they are contained in to allow us to observe or make conclusions. That's why I was confused. And that is why I asked about it.
It's actually just a philosophical experiment, I am not even sure there was ever a cat or a box. It's a theory, that if the only information we have is that the cat is in the box, and no other information, there is no way to know if it's alive or not. That is what we have in this case. Until we know if she is alive or not, there is no way to know. Some peple think this long of a disappearance means she is likely dead. Some think the opposite, because it hasn't been years, there is no evidence one way or another. So I compared it to the cat in the box.

Listened to podcast

I listened to podcast. Unusual LE statement to announce a projected return time period, for MT. It indicated that info from a LE source? Un-named.
So no legitimate confirmation of such claim. IMO, not credible.
No, its not, you probably missed it but it was brought up several days ago and there is no confirmation that such a statement was ever made.

O/T some of you have read this already but for those who have not......I was attending a Trial in Detroit and the two Detroit Free Press Crime Reporters were really nice and often spoke to us on breaks. G. Hunter asked me what brought me here being from Canada. I kinda gulped not knowing how he would react to me replying Websleuths. Hunter was all over it and couldn't say enough kind things. I asked him how he knew about us. He stated a Detroit Detective told him to check the site out as the Detective often did. So yes LE does visit. Here. Oh and when Hunter mentioned to his Press Boss he was told do your own dang investigating lol

Mollie's case is rare in many ways. I wouldn't discourage anyone from hoping that she's one of the lucky ones to come back alive.
With the number of contradictions, limited verified released information, and total lack of a usable timeline, any theory could be the one, any suspect, any scenario. Even those written off because of a feeling, assumption or other previously believed "fact". Oh and let's not forget MT is only listed as a missing person. Missing is a very broad status.

I’m sorry. If it was my child missing, I’d ask everyone & everybody! The devil himself if I had to. Just an option. Wow . Sorry if I offended anyone.
I would if I were a family member, but not as a member of LE , trying to filter through hundreds of tips. Right now, people speculating with uniformed tips, and psychics, aren’t being helpful to the investigation. You have dozens of psychics, all saying different things, and I just don’t see the value. Not yet.

I only follow a few select Websleuther cases that draw me in, so that I am able to read all the threads and posts for a given case.

Even though I agree that all the theories have been covered by now, most likely, people here are still unearthing new details which (in my opinion) raise or lower the likelihood of each scenario. So I do appreciate the thoughtfulness. And I do believe that in some cases, law enforcement even follow along with our discussions just in case an idea surfaces through this sort of crowd sourced discussion that they had not previously considered.

So even if all the theories have been covered, I encourage people to keep thinking and offering suggestions, if for no other reason than to stand with Mollie. To say we care. That it isn’t acceptable when things like this occur in society. And to show there are many good people who are still intent on preserving goodwill and helping others.

I will say that in the cases I have followed on Websleuths in the past, dozens if not hundreds of theories and sub-theories are usually thrown out—some of which are astronomically unlikely to be true.;) But in almost all cases I have followed, the explanation ends up being far simpler than the things our imaginations can come up with...perhaps in part because we want Mollie to be alive somehow.

In this case, my experience tells me to look for the simplest explanation:

1. My first pick is friend/acquaintance abduction, that may not have started out as an abduction. In which case I think it’s statistically most likely Mollie is dead (although I’d love to find out she is 1 of the exceptions and has been kept alive).

2. My second pick, nearly running neck to neck with the first, is an unintentional/accidental death or medical emergency that resulted in the body being temporarily concealed (cornfield).

As for number one, I haven’t personally seen much indication that Mollie would leave on her own, initially, but bc of certain comments from fam or LE, I leave room for the fact there may be other unknown details that support that possibility. If she left willingly (at first), I think she was heavily influenced by another party who is fairly close/known to her and didn’t intend for it to go this far. I think it’s FARRR more likely she was taken against her will, but I leave this open only bc family and LE seem to sometimes imply she could be being held and bc we don’t yet have evidence of struggle or foul play.

I don’t think it’s sex trafficking, organized crime, serial killers, a revenge abduction, killing by an ex or jealous woman, an electric customer, etc.

Doesn’t mean 1 of those exceptions couldn’t play out as true in the end, but in my experience, simple reigns.

In the Tad Cummins (teacher who abducted student)case, for ex., the simple version Websleuthers came up with ended up being pretty close to reality. Bc there was evidence he had groomed her and she had left willingly, we expected he would travel to a distant remote area and possibly try to cross the border (he was found in a distant remote place and it was revealed he had considered trying to cross the border but didn’t go through with it). The thing I got wrong though is I gave the perp more credit for planning than I should have. I really thought he would have gone to greater lengths to disguise themselves, to perhaps secure fake IDs and so on, given his education level. In the end though, their departure was more the story of a frantic couple on the run who were making decisions by the seat of their pants.

So my goal going forward is to think toward what is most simple and most likely given the circumstances and not to let movies and law shows influence me to think the average perp is a calculated mastermind. Many times they are people who struggle with mental illness who act impulsively and do only a fair job covering it up. We will see here.
Hi BessDrew! I also follow only a few select cases; I remember you from the Cummins case. My #1 theory is the same as yours. And although we've hashed out a lot of theories, I doubt if we've covered all of the bases yet. Last night, a poster said, "Why WEDNESDAY night"? That question invited us to think about who might be in town on a Wednesday. To me, that strongly suggests either a Brooklyn-ite, someone who works in town, or someone with family in town.

Another thing I strongly agree with is that we give perps way too much credit for planning. I seriously doubt that he used a backhoe to pre-dig a grave, for example, or deliberately tried to frame WC.

With the number of contradictions, limited verified released information, and total lack of a usable timeline, any theory could be the one, any suspect, any scenario. Even those written off because of a feeling, assumption or other previously believed "fact". Oh and let's not forget MT is only listed as a missing person. Missing is a very broad status.
Very nice, well written, and true post.

I've done ancestry and I'm not worried about it. I'm not a criminal. Nobody in my family is a criminal, and if they are they deserve to get caught.

I still don’t want my DNA in a database. I was shocked that LE can set up a fake profile using crime scene DNA and get a form of contact info of “relatives” cause everybody agreed to it when they accepted TOS. I would love to know my ancestry and I do have some genotyping (long story). I don’t want insurance companies denying coverage to my future relatives because something in my DNA shows that we are predisposed to an expensive illness. You may not think that will happen someday, but I’m not positive that it won’t. If everybody was fingerprinted, we would all be in a big database and a lot more crimes would be solved. I’m fingerprinted and I’m okay with that. We all have to decide just how much we are willing to put of ourselves out there.

The only difference I see between my route and your route is that in your route the abductor stopped at the Truck Stop after abducting Mollie and before 10PM. Any thoughts on why the abductor would take the chance of stopping at a truck stop with a kidnap victim in the vehicle?
if she was in the trunk she would be out of sight.

O/T some of you have read this already but for those who have not......I was attending a Trial in Detroit and the two Detroit Free Press Crime Reporters were really nice and often spoke to us on breaks. G. Hunter asked me what brought me here being from Canada. I kinda gulped not knowing how he would react to me replying Websleuths. Hunter was all over it and couldn't say enough kind things. I asked him how he knew about us. He stated a Detroit Detective told him to check the site out as the Detective often did. So yes LE does visit. Here. Oh and when Hunter mentioned to his Press Boss he was told do your own dang investigating lol
Thank you for this post.
I knew this from experience also.
WS is the go-to.
I am also careful what I post considering the amount of "readers" who pour over every word they can.
In my humble opinion, Mollie's "taker" is smart enough to find "us" also.

I still don’t want my DNA in a database. I was shocked that LE can set up a fake profile using crime scene DNA and get a form of contact info of “relatives” cause everybody agreed to it when they accepted TOS. I would love to know my ancestry and I do have some genotyping (long story). I don’t want insurance companies denying coverage to my future relatives because something in my DNA shows that we are predisposed to an expensive illness. You may not think that will happen someday, but I’m not positive that it won’t. If everybody was fingerprinted, we would all be in a big database and a lot more crimes would be solved. I’m fingerprinted and I’m okay with that. We all have to decide just how much we are willing to put of ourselves out there.
Agreed, psoriasis and PSA suffers already have these fears about their DNA and coverage for children down the road.

This is not directed to anyone in particular but just to our new posters: don't let anyone make you feel bad about asking a question or bringing up a topic that was already discussed. We're here to help and chat and this is supposed to be enjoyable. When I have new lawyers added to my cases we get them up to speed and they often have fresh takes on issues we've debated for weeks. They also bring fresh energy to the table. Everyone was new once and posting isn't a competition. :cool:

And if you have been here since day 1, just scroll past any questions you feel have already been discussed if you don't want to talk about it again. It will give a newer poster an opportunity to be helpful and send some links or give some information. IMO the thread gets more derailed by snippy comments then having different groups of people discussing different aspects of the case. ;)

Last edited:
Go back earlier, I responded with the opinion about resiliency because someone said they didn't think anyone who had been tormented would want to still be alive. That the alternative(death) would be better because they could never be the same. I think there have been many people who have been subjected to horrible treatment, including being abducted, kept in a box, kept underground, kept and made to bear children for a crazy person, the list goes on. There are many who have survived that recovered and thrived who had less resources than Mollie.
Thats ok, I remember reading it. I understand your point. I just was responding to a specific statement you made in assuming Mollies character. Not about the point that it is better to be alive than dead. That point I can certainly agree with, but that was not what I was addressing . I don't know how else to explain it! My point was that we shouldn't make assumptions about her character or what she may have or may have NOT been capable of. That's all. I was not addressing the later posts about the particular point you made in those posts. I'm sorry, I don't know how to differentiate the two anymore than I already have.

Does anyone know what the high school/college kids do when they hang out? This is a small town and I was just curious if during breaks do they have bonfires out at someone’s land, drink beer in fields, etc? I only ask because I’m from KS and there’s really not much to do, it’s what we always did in HS and college on breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
podreal