Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t it be wise to take a portion of the reward money to hire pi’s or world renown psychics? It wouldn’t hurt imo

No. If private investigators were any good they would be on the police department. They are a pain and often defraud the family that is paying them.

Psychics? Another scam. Some "psychics" are very skilled in making the public believe that they can see into the past or visualize the crime, etc.

No. If private investigators were any good they would be on the police department. They are a pain and often defraud the family that is paying them.

Psychics? Another scam. Some "psychics" are very skilled in making the public believe that they can see into the past or visualize the crime, etc.
Wow!

When no one knows what really happened to Mollie all that is left is guessing and speculation.

Since Mollie hasn't been found, I tend to think it might be someone getting off the interstate, seeing an opportunity, and grabbing her. I've mainly followed on MSM - no FB's or social media.

I'm sorry, but I do not think Mollie is still with us after this much time has passed.

JMO

One more thought to join the discussion: since the bf was believed to have been in Dubuque on the evening in question, I note that he was working for his family's construction company. He went to h.s. with MT. He lives in Brooklyn with his brother. There are probably several people working with him in Dubuque who were aware of his 'situation' with MT. Construction work crews 'knock off'' at about five o'clock. Someone could easily get back to Brooklyn by 9:00 pm. Are there other Brooklyn residents working in that company? Is the company based in Brooklyn? Seems logical to me that there may be a lot of 'links' between the bf's family construction company, the bf and Brooklyn.

One more thought to join the discussion: since the bf was believed to have been in Dubuque on the evening in question, I note that he was working for his family's construction company. He went to h.s. with MT. He lives in Brooklyn with his brother. There are probably several people working with him in Dubuque who were aware of his 'situation' with MT. Construction work crews 'knock off'' at about five o'clock. Someone could easily get back to Brooklyn by 9:00 pm. Are there other Brooklyn residents working in that company? Is the company based in Brooklyn? Seems logical to me that there may be a lot of 'links' between the bf's family construction company, the bf and Brooklyn.
Anything is possible.

How should we interpret this police statement that we must consider foul play as the reason that Mollie is a missing person? What does "foul play" mean in relation to a missing person?

"Although we have not ruled out any scenario that could explain Mollie’s disappearance, we must consider the possibility that foul play is involved."

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

I don't see anything on the website about the locations beyond police asking people who were in those areas to speak to police.
Otto asked about "must" and "foul play", a logical question to ask because we can assume the PC was carefully scripted. At the risk of getting a bit too pedantic, here it is:
Foul Play:
  1. "unfair play in a game or sport.
  2. unlawful or dishonest behavior, in particular violent crime resulting in another's death.
Must:
expressing an opinion about something that is logically very likely.
obliged to; should (expressing necessity).
something that should not be overlooked or missed."

MOO, in the context of the PC, LE was setting the public up for the red dots. "...must consider the possibility that foul play...." is kind of an ice-breaker into the dark side of the realm of possibility. It's saying, okay, public, okay, Brooklyn, this is what we're down to on the list of what made MT not be here now. Okay, here is our list, and we want you to contact us were you, that night, in the red dot areas.

"Involved" is interesting here. The word can go before the event or after. An accident but then a coverup would put "foul play" being "involved." As in, foul play was not the original intent, but something unforeseen occurred while out with MT. And of course, "involved" can put the action before the missing event. As in, she got grabbed. No one can dispute foul play being involved before the act.

I too, Otto, look carefully at the language. Of course, it's a fine line reading more into the words than the average public would, but nevertheless, worth deconstructing IMO. And we're not the average public here. This is fine tooth comb stuff for good reason.

Hi BessDrew! I also follow only a few select cases; I remember you from the Cummins case. My #1 theory is the same as yours. And although we've hashed out a lot of theories, I doubt if we've covered all of the bases yet. Last night, a poster said, "Why WEDNESDAY night"? That question invited us to think about who might be in town on a Wednesday. To me, that strongly suggests either a Brooklyn-ite, someone who works in town, or someone with family in town.

Another thing I strongly agree with is that we give perps way too much credit for planning. I seriously doubt that he used a backhoe to pre-dig a grave, for example, or deliberately tried to frame WC.

Nice to hear from you! Hope you are well. You are right, the Wednesday night questions...as well as some of the maps...have raised lots of sub-theories that impact how we think about the case. We still are considering an acquaintance or stranger abduction, for example, but suddenly we are trying to narrow down the field. Who is going to church or school events or commuting home from work at that time on that day? How could they determine this (phone pings, GPS, cameras etc.) You never know when something useful may pop up as we discuss.

Honestly someone from the FBI or DCI probably sat down with him and said listen Rob, we're working around the clock but it may be a while. You're under so much stress here, you're going to give yourself a heart attack. If we have any news you can be on the next flight out of CA and be here in a couple of hours. Go home, keep up the media attention from CA, and we will let you know exactly where we are.

IMO, RT has done everything he could do in the month he was in Brooklyn. He has taken the advice of the authorities and has gone home. He calls it a “half-time, a break.” RT has every intention of returning to Brooklyn if there is a break in the case. I applaud him for having such poise and grace during this most difficult time. JMO

>>snip

Rob Tibbetts revealed he was reluctantly going back to San Francisco for 'a break' as police continue to investigate the 20-year-old's baffling disappearance from the small town of Brooklyn on July 18.

'Very reluctantly, I'm being told I sort of need to do this,' Tibbetts told KCRG. 'We've called this sort of a half-time, a break.'

Mollie's father said authorities had been urging him and his family to return to the daily lives and trust them with the investigation.

He said it was difficult to return home without any news but said he would return the moment there is any type of development in the case.

Mollie Tibbetts' father leaves Iowa a month after her disappearance | Daily Mail Online

It's because of the PI in the Lucus Hernandez case that he was found.

Mollie Tibbetts' father LEAVES Iowa and returns to California a month after his daughter vanished - as investigators are still no closer to solving her disappearance

Mollie Tibbetts' father leaves Iowa a month after her disappearance | Daily Mail Online

I’m really not happy with the headline of this article. It is like they are trying to shame Mr. Tibbetts for leaving. Mollie’s family are doing the best the can under unimaginable and horrendous circumstances.

P.s I did not put the headline in bold the Websleuths site does that.
That's because it's from The Daily Mail. Don't let it distract you or get you down.

Thank you. That completely clears up the " ping rumor" I've been asking for an explanation since I saw the initial post, stating the areas were based on cell phone pings. I was asking for a definitive answer, or proof of that statement and you provided it.

I'm not sure which original post you're asking about.

I put together a map using the police dots and adding numbers based on the order in which I think they matter. Point 5 is of particular interest because it coincides with the same area that police identify as the ping associated with the search area.

I do think that the third option is worth consideration, and that is an abduction from someone outside her circle, a stranger abduction. It’s less likely than it being someone closer to her, but still plausible. This would be more a crime of opportunity in that case, although he may have seen her before and thought about abducting her at that point. This abduction would be sexually motivated, and she would almost certainly be dead.

I agree. I put stranger abduction as third too probably, although I still lean toward a familiar stranger (someone who saw her habitually or has mutual connections to her) over complete stranger. But it could be a crime of opportunity. When strangers choose to abduct though, it starts to raise the chances of a professional criminal being involved. And I think that’s less likely.

respectfully snipped for space
And I think it's natural to try to avoid that theory by thinking about everything but the spontaneous or unplanned occurrence by a disturbed individual. Because there is no real way to avoid those scenarios unless we all never leave our houses and live in a locked cell. They may be more rare scenarios, but they happen enough that it's always possible. And that makes for uncomfortable thoughts for most of us. Much better to have something that can be fixed/solved/defined. moo
That’s right. And what’s more, some of the less likely and more far-fetched scenarios are sometimes the positive ones! People have disappeared after getting amnesia and eventually have been discovered. People have been abducted and held for 10+ years and been freed. That’s why it is worth our time, in every case, to search for anything that might lead us to a possible positive exception.

To no one in particular, does I-80 play into your theory? Should Brooklyn be the focus where MT currently is?
My best theory is that she was taken by a local/former local/someone who knows the area. Where did he take her? It's anyone's guess, but given the dots, my guess it that this guy prefers the backroads. So no on I-80.

Does Mollie’s dad have stepsons? Since the articles say “sons” back to college? Or just more bad journalism? Or is the younger a freshman?

Wonder what they decided about Mollie’s new apt etc...

I still don’t want my DNA in a database. I was shocked that LE can set up a fake profile using crime scene DNA and get a form of contact info of “relatives” cause everybody agreed to it when they accepted TOS. I would love to know my ancestry and I do have some genotyping (long story). I don’t want insurance companies denying coverage to my future relatives because something in my DNA shows that we are predisposed to an expensive illness. You may not think that will happen someday, but I’m not positive that it won’t. If everybody was fingerprinted, we would all be in a big database and a lot more crimes would be solved. I’m fingerprinted and I’m okay with that. We all have to decide just how much we are willing to put of ourselves out there.
Exactly. Privacy is obviously a major concern. Sites like Ancestry and 23 and me, don’t generally allow their databases to be used by LE. Golden State and several other cases have been solved by using a public database, where users upload their own DNA that has been downloaded from other DNA testing sites (like Ancestry). What LE has done, is uploaded suspect DNA to this open site, and used geneology to solve cases.

This particular site, GedMatch, makes it clear that your DNA can be used by other parties. The issue is, particular individuals have no control over what members of their families contribute, hence the privacy concerns, as you have no say in your own privacy when your DNA is out there, courtesy of someone related to you.

When you’re taking a killer off the streets, I think this is a small price to pay. The danger however, is a slippery slope.

Last edited:
It's actually just a philosophical experiment, I am not even sure there was ever a cat or a box. It's a theory, that if the only information we have is that the cat is in the box, and no other information, there is no way to know if it's alive or not. That is what we have in this case. Until we know if she is alive or not, there is no way to know. Some peple think this long of a disappearance means she is likely dead. Some think the opposite, because it hasn't been years, there is no evidence one way or another. So I compared it to the cat in the box.
Yeah, I get it now that I have all the details! I thought at first it was a reliable experiment, based on a reasonable hypothesis, so that would explain why I have never come across it in all my research. I thought it had some relevance to the case.

I apologize that I couldn’t make the trip to Brooklyn today. My grandson went to er last nite. He has pneumonia. Planning on Tuesday if all goes well. I worry she won’t be found before winter hits. And l I’m going to do everything in my power to search until then, I promise. I’ll be Checking on 2 areas of interest. Electric Co cameras & distance between noted dots of interest. Anything else please let me know.
hope your grandson feels better, and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader