DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Immature teens whose brains have not fully formed who think it's funny
2. People who will scam for money
3. Mentally ill

Amateur speculation and opinion only

Agree
For #1 we have to remember on any SM that there can be really young immature people and nobody really knows. Talking 10 11 12 year old immature kids thinking certain things are funny when they are totally not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ch...ret-informants-in-u-of-i-murder-case/2953416/

Not sure if any of you followed the disappearance of YingYing Zhang- she was a Chinese scholar who was starting at the University of Illinois and was kidnapped. She is yet to be found but FBI came in very fast and they brought the suspect in multiple times for questioning and eventually trained two people close to the suspect to get info on the kidnapping. They two people wore wires and were able to actually get him to talk a bit. He has been charged with kid napping and I believe murder... I really hope this is something rhe FBI is doing in mollie’s case and that is maybe why they aren’t saying much about their timeline, who they believe was suppose to be picking her up for work, etc!!!

• Rob Hess/ABC News
(BROOKLYN, Iowa) -- It's been 10 days since 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts mysteriously vanished in a rural Iowa town, but investigators say they haven't given up hope that they will find her alive.

"At this point, we don't know her exact whereabouts but we continue to look. We are hopeful that she is still alive and so we will continue to think that way until told otherwise," Richard Rahn, special agent in charge of the Iowa Department of Public Safety's Division of Criminal Investigation, told ABC News on Friday night.

Data from Tibbetts' FitBit, a GPS-enabled activity tracker, has been "helpful" and could be "key" in locating her, according to Rahn.

"It certainly helps in that we are able to help establish a timeline and that's certainly critical for any investigation like this," he added.

Rahn declined to say whether investigators have found her FitBit or if they know its location.

Rahn told ABC News it's "not uncommon" to go back to a site and conduct additional searches as tips come in. He declined to reveal what clues if any investigators may have found at the pig farm. But he said one thing is for certain -- Tibbetts isn't there.

"I can tell you she's not there. Aside from that, I'm not sure what I'm able to release, but she's certainly not there," Rahn said.

Authorities 'hopeful' missing University of Iowa student is 'still alive' as search enters 10th day

I apologize if this was previously shared, but I didn’t see it:
Jodi Long on Twitter
This is a tweet by a reporter from an hour ago, and I found the reply interesting. She says Pella PD are looking for a guy who was watching girls running.

“Pella PD are looking for a man who parked his car in the lot of this auto shop to take pictures of high school girls running. They say his behavior is very suspicious. The town is on edge. So are police following the disappearance of #MollieTibbetts story at 6 @WHOhd

Last edited:
Aside from the vacant field across from the high school, at least a dozen houses are within a line of sight from that location, to both the north and to the south.

I am talking about hearing her. Of course there are homes in the area, but in order to get someone's attention to look out their window they'd need to hear some commotion. At that time of evening, I believe most people would be eating or watching TV, relaxing. If you Google that school and do a street view, you'll see that none of the homes really face the road. Especially not in front of the school. Hopefully she didn't go and run the track which would really have her secluded. (In the town I used to live in, my friend's dad actually got mugged on a HS track at 7:30am a few years ago)

I was reared in a small town and I have lived in many smaller towns until my employment took me to progressively larger urban centers. Folks in a smaller community keep an eye on things. Why? Well they are both concerned and nosy. They will look if Billy got a new truck or Sue got a large delivery or if someone else put in landscaping or whatever. They notice an unusual vehicle; strangers; they would notice someone acting unusually. Out of place. Driving slow. Driving fast. Maybe even parked up somewhere. It's not an entirely different concept than a neighborhood watch, in which observant residents keep an eye out for strange vehicles or people or both. Had there been a visible deviation from the usual run of the mill patterns of life that day in Brooklyn, someone would have seen or heard something. I counted at least 70 street facing houses on one of the suggested running routes to her mother's home. This would have been after most people got home from work. It was a pleasant evening, a slight breeze and maybe 75 degrees. People would have been out mowing or mingling, talking over the fence, maybe washing the truck or hosing off the riding mower. If it was a Wednesday, perhaps some attended local church services. The fact she could be snatched undetected in that setting I believe will result in robust sales of locks, security cameras and guns in the community.
In my rural Iowa hometown of 1400, there were 3 churches and social “norm” to be a member of one of them. You are right that some people would have been at Wed night Bible Study or kids Awana activities etc. VBS would have likely NOT been scheduled the same time as the county fair.

Sometimes homeless people do get aggressive. I was in Nashville, TN a couple weeks ago, and an aggressive panhandler shoved his hand in my face. I just ignored him and walked away. I do buy homeless people food, but I never give them money. I try not to be mean to people who are struggling. At the end of the day, we all are people.

I'm not mean to anyone who is struggling. But I am very tough with any man who approaches me when I'm alone, in a secluded area, wanting something. Now that's about my safety and life. And we should all be teaching our girls the same thing.

I've never seen a corn field in person in my life - I don't think I have a true grasp of the actual size of these fields or the magnitude even of a scaled-back volunteer operation that would be needed to search them at that depth. I wonder if they could handle the logistics of it, even with the additional FBI support.
According to data on the USDA's Iowa web site for Poweshiek County it was estimated that 149,500 acres would be planted with corn this year. That translates to 233 square miles of corn planted - this is approximately 40 percent of the entire geographical area of Poweshiek County (585 square miles).

Each acre of corn will have between 24,000 and 32,000 corn plants depending on spacing between rows (determined by a number of factors) so a 40 acres property would have between 960,000 and 1,200,000 corn plants. The corn plants are spaced 6 inches apart along the row and each row is spaced 24-36 inches from the next row and are likely 10+ feet tall. The net effect is you can only see (for effective searching) as you walk through parallel to the rows and consequently every row would have to be walked.

The other big crop planted is Soybean. There is an estimate of 117,000 acres of Soybean planted in Poweshiek county. That translates to 180 square miles of Soybean plants. Soybean plants would be about 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall I would think by now. Soybean plants, while not tall, are "bushier" so in order to search through the rows of Soybean you would have to move the parts of the plant to get a look at what is below. Probably would take longer to search than the corn fields.

USDA - National Agricultural Statistics Service - Iowa - County Estimates

The thematic map links for Corn and Soybean give the information about how many acres are estimated.

By the way, not sure if this was mentioned, but her Fitbit (assuming it's the Charge 2, or the Alta) is not waterproof. It's "splash resistant" meaning it is fine for being in the rain, but it's not OK to wear in the shower. Mollie would have presumably taken it off when she showered, then at one point put it back on again. If she used the sleep tracking feature, then this is usually when you'd recharge the Fitbit since most people wear it all day like a watch.
I have sat in the bath tub with mine a few times already Thank God it still works I have the Fitbit Charge 2

Yes how long did it take for a random person to find Morgan Harrington's shirt?
New evidence links found t-shirt to Harrington [Police say a black Pantera t-shirt found on 15th and Grady Avenue in downtown Charlottesville was the shirt Harrington was wearing the night of her disappearance.]
And that's how Jesse Matthews was finally caught, after murdering Hannah Graham too. Morgan Harrington's T-shirt the key connection to Jesse Matthew Jr. [A former University of Virginia student was returning from class five years ago when he discovered a T-shirt that could be a key clue in solving two serious assaults against women stretching back to 2005.The shirt was last believed worn by slain Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, 20, who disappeared in 2009. It was also linked by police in an unspecified way to a 2005 rape in Fairfax, according to the man who found it.]
DNA from cigar butt, T-shirt links Jesse Matthew to Morgan Harrington [Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr. has been linked by DNA to slain Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.
DNA obtained from a cigar butt and a T-shirt links Jesse Matthew Jr. to the disappearance and death of Morgan Harrington, according to a search warrant.The “wooden tip” from the butt found in Matthew’s wallet provided the DNA match to DNA on Harrington’s shirt, according to the search warrant filed Oct. 16 ...]
I need a break to actually look at the beach right now since I am on vacation but Mollie has stolen my heart....sigh.
he drove a taxi and picked her up the night and caught him on camera doing a u turn when the hannah ended up missing. Interesting thing is they said he waz not a suspect at first.

@amlando1 - Thank you for sharing your Iowan perspective with us as it's always welcome by the Global Membership of Websleuths.

From what I recall about 2 witness accounts, I believe one was actually a facebook comment which is not considered verified information for this platform. I suggest you use the most current witness recollection for when/where Mollie was possibly sighted. The witness identified as Roger Thompson of Brooklyn spoke to local abc5 network on July 27, 2018, and network last reported update was at 10:13pm CDT so we know it's current. You can actually watch Mr. Thompson and also get a "visual" of the area where he believes he saw Mollie on July 18 on West Des Moines Street. Here's the link for your convenience. Thanks again.

Neighbor offers new testimony about the night Mollie Tibbetts disappeared

Sorry...I couldn’t recall where I saw it but thought it was in an article . I will remove my post.

Google The gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. We've talked about this for years here at WS ...

Gavin's book True Lies

Yes. That's a great book. It's slightly different though from what I was talking about. The Gift of Fear is about trusting one's gut and intuition and knowing to listen to reasonable fear. The Gift of Fear

But the Three T's is a formula or method that doesn't depend on gut instinct or intuition, which some people may not be in tune with. It's a set of rules that many people can follow. no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo