Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While it may be true that some psych majors pursue the field due to their own mental health history or trauma, I think it is a stretch to assume that of everyone or even most. At least in terms of their experiences putting them any more at risk of victimization or future mental health issues. Trauma and mental illness is broad and far reaching so just statistically speaking, there will be many psych majors with those experiences. There will also be many doctors, attorneys, engineers, you name it with similar histories. JMO, as a mental health professional.

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to welcome our new members to Websleuths.

Please know that Websleuths is not like other forums. We have strict rules.

For example, someone posted a random youtube video of some creepy guy talking about Mollie. I have literally spent most of the night chasing that damn post because people kept quoting it and then telling some random story about another creepy case.

Please forgive me but I am very frustrated.

WE DO NOT ALLOW RANDOM YOUTUBE VIDEOS, RANDOM BLOGS, RANDOM FACEBOOK PAGES, OR RANDOM ANYTHING.

If you post information please make sure it is from a mainstream media source or a law enforcement source.

The biggest problem is people quoting the post that is in violation of our rules.

If you see a rude post or a post you think might violate our terms of service I am begging you, do not quote the post and then berate the poster. The mods have to waste their time removing all these types of posts when in reality they should only have to remove one post. That is the post that violated the rules in the first place.

It has been made very clear by the police who has been cleared. If someone has been cleared you cannot start discussing this person's alibi or why you think this person is weird or anything to hint at or dance around the fact that you still want to discuss their possible guilt.

Harmony 2 is the lead moderator on this thread. I have decided to nominate her for sainthood. If I hadn't lost the Pope's cell phone number I would but alas it won't happen.

What you can do though to help the wonderful Harmony 2 is please do not go off topic and if you are new please learn the rules.

Here is a very quick version of our rules:

1- Don't be a jerk when posting

2-Stick to mainstream media and other approved sources ONLY

3-Do not discuss random people or people who have been cleared.

4-Do not quote a post you know violates the rules. Even if you are not sure if it violates the rules do not quote the post. Instead, report the post. The Report tab is in the bottom left-hand corner of each post.

5-Don't be a jerk when posting. I know I said that already but it is worth saying it again.

You are all, for the most part, doing a fantastic job of taking everything we know about this case and dissecting it all. In fact, this thread on Mollie's disappearance is hands down the most popular discussion on Websleuths. You have thousands of visitors coming to read what you are posting. I would venture to guess probably even mainstream media outlets and law enforcement are reading this thread. Just a guess.

Thank you for your participation, everyone.

Take Care,
Tricia
BUMP :)

Agreed, but my point is that in other missing person's cases I don't recall LE explicitly stating they are hopeful the person is alive. That's the part that seems to be different in this case. Usually it goes without saying that everyone hopes the person is still alive, so why make the point to mention it for Mollie? I do concede I could be reading too much into it, but it stood out to me as being different than other missing person's cases.
LE said something like this after Lizzie and Lyric disappeared. IIRC, they said something about having evidence that led them to believe the girls were alive - and we all know how that turned out.

I would agree with this that law enforcement searched the pig farm purely based on a tip. Do they really have nothing to go on as far as a POI? I also find it hard to believe that Mollie lives in such a small town, where everyone knows everyone, and yet there's only been one eye witness that saw her the day she supposedly went missing. I know how rumor mills spread like wild fires in small towns (I come from one in Iowa) so I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single person in the community that knows something or knows someone that behaves suspiciously. Any thoughts on this? Reminds me how tight lipped the community was in the Tara Grinstead case.

New to WS, so apologies if I'm repeating a point someone has already made.
As a former small town IA farm resident, I agree 100%. Somebody knows something.

If it was a group project she may have felt like she needed to finish her part.

I don't think she's responsible for her missing status, however.
After reading this, this made me think back to when i was taking classes to earn my BSN. I frequently had group projects assigned for almost every single class. I will be honest to admit that I hated these assignments the most because there are peers who tend to slack & not do their part, which causes more work for others in the group. At first you do let it slide, but as the semester continues you grow tired of having to pick up the slack for the same poor performers just to get a good grade...who knows, but maybe this was becoming an issue & someone threatened another by going to the professor to inform of not doing their part.

There were several I read referenced in this thread. I'm also thinking about Danielle Stislicki and there was a very early search warrant after her disappearance for a home of a man that was originally not listed as a POI. He has since been arrested and charged in a different case in which he assaulted a jogger. He has not yet been charged in Dani's case but is the only suspect LE has made known.

It is common that LE make contact with the perp within 24-48 hrs of an investigation. Rarely do you hear about arrests being made that quickly, though, especially without knowing where the victim is. JMO.

Best as I can tell there is not enough evidence to charge anyone in Danielle Stislicki's disappearance. I was looking for an example where there was a prime suspect, and police didn't arrest them immediately. I can't think of any cases like that. Usually suspects are arrested pretty quickly. The only possible reason I can think of not to arrest a suspect immediately, is maybe if they are hoping the suspect will lead them to a body, or something. But that is kind of unlikely.

And all the people saying “there’s nothing wrong with the pictures”. She’s in her bra and panties in her room...maybe it’s the younger generation...personally provocative though IMO. I never even heard of this site.
If you check out that link, the default app pics show geolocation as well. Very dangerous.

Best as I can tell there is not enough evidence to charge anyone in Danielle Stislicki's disappearance. I was looking for an example where there was a prime suspect, and police didn't arrest them immediately. I can't think of any cases like that. Usually suspects are arrested pretty quickly. The only possible reason I can think of not to arrest a suspect immediately, is maybe if they are hoping the suspect will lead them to a body, or something. But that is kind of unlikely.
it means at best they got circumstantial

In the last thread the same queries were posited over and over about who was cleared. This person was cleared but not that one and how about this one and that one. These type of sentiments and statements can be construed as suggesting involvement by individuals in Mollie's close circle of family and friends. Our terms of service very clearly discourages that type of speculation.

TOS and WS rules will be strictly enforced from this point forward. You have been duly warned. Expect a TO or worse if you choose not to follow the rules of this forum and of this case.

Thank or like this post to indicate you have read it before posting in the thread.
Bump....

If you are posting on this thread - please read and follow the rules of this forum.

There are many new members who have joined in the past few days, it would be helpful to keep this thread from being shut down if everyone takes just 5 minutes to read PAGE 1 of this thread.

That's just not true. Several cases have been referenced by previous posters in which a suspect was known almost immediately and often even publicly identified as NOT a suspect only for a later arrest. What may be obvious to LE or us is not necessarily "obvious" in court. Evidence takes time, especially if the general public is not thought to be at risk.

Absolutely correct.

I was just suggesting that often there is a lot of information and evidence available immediately but not enough to charge without a reasonable doubt OR at least not enough presumably to justify the desired charges (murder without a body for example).

Someone gave an example above about a stepmother being cleared initially with a publicly checked out alibi who is now undergoing trial for murder. Kathleen Peterson is another case that comes to mind.

ETA: Despite the increase in technology and DNA, fewer cases are being solved. This article describes some reasons as standards for charging are higher now
& distrust of LE and the system. It also highlights the significant variance amongst local jurisdictions vs national/FBI. I'm not suggesting the stricter standards are all negative but it makes sense that fewer immediate arrests would be made. JMO.

Open Cases: Why One-Third Of Murders In America Go Unresolved

Last edited:
Wednesday, July 25, 2018
BROOKLYN, Iowa — Federal and state investigators are poring through “massive amounts of data” related to a missing University of Iowa student’s digital footprint in an effort to track her whereabouts in the hours before she disappeared.
Mollie Tibbetts’ Fitbit data used in search for missing University of Iowa student

Okay, LE has had Mollie's digital footprint since last Wednesday. Five days. I know there's a mountain of data to dismantle. Hopefully they've found some clue by now. I guess if her phone was disable when she disappeared it might not give the information LE hopes it could. Wishing we could hear something slightly relevant today.

If you check out that link, the default app pics show geolocation as well. Very dangerous.
Oh geeze that’s awful...that’s a perfect place for a “hunter” then. I honestly never heard of it. My older one who’s 22 says she heard of it but never used it. I doubt this app was used in this case to have anything to do with Mollie but that is seriously alarming if the wrong person does utilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmeyer