IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something kind of interesting that I just noticed on the arrest warrent. The time range of the incident is listed as 07-18-2018 19:45 - 20:28.

19:45 could be a general time, but 20:28 is kind of specific. I wonder how they came up with that time. Something must have happened at 8:28 PM. Maybe that was the time her phone stopped pinging.
Yes, and/or that was the timeframe within which his car was seen passing by the video camera on someone's property (that lead LE to him, i.e., if it had a time stamp) as he drove back and forth along the road she was running on before he attacked her. Then her phone/fitbit was turned off or destroyed shortly thereafter. Or maybe his car appeared in video footage around that time when he went to the car wash afterwards (if that happened).

LE talked about the car wash as one of the 5 key areas they were focused on, so maybe they first saw the black car there but couldn't ID it or the driver, then they poured over the video footage from the property later, and saw the same black car driving back and forth where her cell phone pinged on her running route.

So incredibly grateful to the property owner who turned in the videotape, and LE's diligence in reviewing all the hours of video and catching this. Otherwise, he could have gotten away with her murder.

Last edited:
Something kind of interesting that I just noticed on the arrest warrent. The time range of the incident is listed as 07-18-2018 19:45 - 20:28.

19:45 could be a general time, but 20:28 is kind of specific. I wonder how they came up with that time. Something must have happened at 8:28 PM. Maybe that was the time her phone stopped pinging.
It is very specific! IMO you are correct that the phone stopped at that time, which if the only ping we “know of” at the pig farm was at that time, that would put them at the place her body was found around that time. I can’t imagine the 43 minutes in between for poor Mollie.
I think its considered a personality disorder isnt it?
i should go back and correct my prior post. It is a mental disorder, not a mental illness. As Ms Betsy said they believe it is environment vs. genetic. However, living with a sociopath almost my entire life and believing she was such at the age of 5 I personally don’t put a lot of stock in nurture vs. nature. But that is JMO.

I am horrified to hear that Mollie was stabbed to death. In my mind I had envisioned BFT and strangulation, I don't know why but stabbing never occurred to me in this case. There are no words and I can not imagine how her family feels. I am so sad for Mollie.

Obviously stabbing is very upclose and personal and indicative of super rage.

I don’t know how years later after being a member here I am still amazed by the capabilities of some people. I see him sitting there in the courtroom (and Chris Watts) and try to imagine him/them in their rages.

As for CR just snapping and this being his first time, I doubt it. The level of brazenness, aggression...

EA in CM’s case, and ARS in Jessica’s case, both nutjobs assaulted children as well as adults. I wouldn’t be surprised here if that’s the case as well, as I have stated previously in these threads.

“4 to 7 years in the area....”. Again, I’m interested in other unsolved cases (as we were even before Mollie was found). Who knows if CR’s DNA might match any other cold cases.

I remember our Late Great Foxfire mentioned that some SKs can start being actively violent as young as 14. My guess is CR may have started his crimes as young adult, maybe 17ish. So he’s got at least 7 plus years POTENTIALLY of active predatorial time under his belt, imo.

Last edited:
Please. LE, honor our nation's justice that is based on the rule of law not revenge. Please, everyone, let's not wish for more violence on top of violence.

This perp will be sent to jail for the rest of his life. That is just (and also likely violent for those who take pleasure in knowing that).

jmo

A lifetime of administrative segregation can be a hard life to live. I don't think he'll have many friends on the inside.

Sorry everyone if I seem to be asking the same question. I asked it the other night and couldn’t find an answer. And now my iPad keeps crashing here. Who knows how many double questions I’ve posted.

I do not care if he blacked out.
I do not care if he ate 1,000 Twinkies.
I do not care if he has an alternate personality named Sybil.

There are no mitigating factors that make him less culpable for his evil deed against MT.
MOO.

I haven't seen anyone say or imply that, but it's been a fast-moving thread.

I don't think his capture OR his confession is a 'miracle' at all, and I believe that will be revealed as time goes on.

I do find it curious that there are conflicting reports about whether or not CR and his gf were still together. If it's true that they were still together, then that increases the odds that a) he's assaulted her, and b) she would have noticed something 'off'. If it's true that they'd broken up, it's curious to me that a) he'd allow her to leave (if he's a raging psychopath), and b) he didn't attack and rage kill her (that would be a better crime of passion 'fit').

Maybe her fear of his anger is what kept her from leaving. I used to volunteer in a nonprofit home for abused women. Recalling my training there, I learned that a woman’s life is most in danger when she tries to leave the relationship—that is the time period abused women are most likely to be killed. So, she may have stayed out of fear of leaving. She would definitely not be the first female to do this.
She’s possibly financially dependent upon him.
She has a baby with him, so maybe she stayed there so her child would have a father. Or it could be any combination of these things among others.

It is very specific! IMO you are correct that the phone stopped at that time, which if the only ping we “know of” at the pig farm was at that time, that would put them at the place her body was found around that time. I can’t imagine the 43 minutes in between for poor Mollie.
I still wonder why they asked LC if MT was in a house at 9:45pm.

Thank you for clarifying! I have relatives with mental illness, but I wish psychopathy had its own term. I loathe it’s pegged as a mental illness.
Years ago people with this condition were called psychopaths but the correct term is Anti- Social Personality Disorder. It involves narcissistic tendencies as well as psychopathological characteristics. Very often criminals of this kind are found to have this disorder. These people cannot feel empathy and therefore those with severe forms of this illness do not value human life.

Last edited:
I'm thinking he carried a pocket knife and that's what he used. I wonder if Mollie had any protection like mace? I think the threat of her calling the sheriff set him off.
RE alcohol. In that last Daily Mail article with the 55 year old woman that flirted with him...yep all kinds...it was said he didn't drink. Just pop. So there's that.

That bugs the crap out of me too! And based on what we know now there is likely IMO no way she was. I can only assume it was based on that snap chat and I think this was before feds were involved so maybe local LE trying to find a location where she may have been just thinking she was out of touch with family as opposed to abducted.

It's extremely difficult to hear about these facts coming out now, I really don't want to know more from the autopsy about any assault or further injuries... I read something about Iowa keeps autopsy details confidential except for cause of death.. Is it a given that we are going to be subjected to further grisly details from some source?

I'm pretty green regarding legal procedures

I am totally guessing, but since it was asked very early in the investigation and DJ had said he opened it around 10, maybe they assumed Mollie had sent the snap that he viewed right around/before the time he saw it. We know now that she sent it a lot earlier and he just saw it at 10, but I could see them grabbing onto the snap as one of the only clues they had and thinking, "Well maybe she was somewhere just before ten that was indoors." JMO

That bugs the crap out of me too! And based on what we know now there is likely IMO no way she was. I can only assume it was based on that snap chat and I think this was before feds were involved so maybe local LE trying to find a location where she may have been just thinking she was out of touch with family as opposed to abducted.
That's the same conclusion I came to.

I'm thinking he carried a pocket knife and that's what he used. I wonder if Mollie had any protection like mace? I think the threat of her calling the sheriff set him off.
RE alcohol. In that last Daily Mail article with the 55 year old woman that flirted with him...yep all kinds...it was said he didn't drink. Just pop. So there's that.

I doubt that she said anything about calling police. I think the suspect concocted that to justify his imaginary "block-out". The implication is that she said something that upset him, he lost control, and only later discovered that she was dead. This is the best he could come up with after a month of thinking about how he could minimize his responsibility for the murder.

He is blaming the victim for his decision to murder her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper