IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something kind of interesting that I just noticed on the arrest warrent. The time range of the incident is listed as 07-18-2018 19:45 - 20:28.

19:45 could be a general time, but 20:28 is kind of specific. I wonder how they came up with that time. Something must have happened at 8:28 PM. Maybe that was the time her phone stopped pinging.
Or the last data point of heartbeat on her fitbit?

A question for those of you who have followed way more cases than I have. If this does go to trial, how long do you think it would be before the trial begins? I understand it probably can vary greatly, but if you have followed a lot of cases like this, what seems to be the norm?

*If* nothing unusual happens, at least a year, if he fires his attorney and gets new counsel, the clock pretty much starts over again to let the new attny get acquainted with the facts. Discovery alone could take months depending on how much there is for the prosecution to turn over to the defense. Witnesses to be called have to be interviewed by both sides, expert witnesses, his lawyer may want him to have a psych evaluation, all sorts of things can cause delays and make it drag on for years.

It appears to be, they called it an Impala but with the spoiler on the back I think it is actually a Malibu.

Fromt this same article

"A friend of the Monarrez family, Christina Evans, 53, told DailyMail.com she had met Rivera at parties and tried to flirt with him, only to learn he had a girlfriend.

However she says that did not stop Rivera trying to hit on Daniela Monarrez, who is believed to be a cousin of Iris Monarrez, his long-term partner and the mother of his toddler girl.

'He was a nice kid. I'm divorced, he's good looking and I used to flirt with him. But he was always very shy and scared, I think I'm a little too rambunctious for him,' said Evans."

No comment needed.

"Evans said she only saw Cristhian step out of line once when he made a move three years ago on Daniela, who attended the same high school as Mollie and Iris.

'He was sat next to her on the couch at a party. He wasn't confident with the girls but that night he acted like a horny young dude.

'He was saying things to her and then he touched her leg. She found it uncomfortable.

'She told one on the guys and they took him outside and told him not to mess with her family.

Prior behavior - previous example of his predatory nature.

"Something must have happened to make him flip. I just had him down as a quiet, shy kid.'

Many predators appear shy because they are socially awkward. Something making him "flip" yeah being rejected. He didn't pull this crap on the girl at the party because there were men there that took him outside and put him in his place. They probably kept an eye on him after that anytime he was ever near one of their loved ones. So he started venturing outside....

Wow. A 53yo woman admits to hitting on him?!

I thought they were born without empathy? Thus something brain-wise they were born without. Thanks for explaining.
Many people think that, but you can be born with the genetic tendency and never develop the disorder. Environmental factors during childhood , when our personality is being formed ( reason called a Personality Disorder), play a huge role in developing the disorder .

I don’t think anyone is claiming it’s a diagnosis. More like a stereotype that has enough truth in it to be commonly recognized.

Yeah, some short people - men particularly - create a narcissistic defense mechanism to deal with their perceived inadequacies. "Napoleon complex" is a layman's term for this.

JMO.

A question for those of you who have followed way more cases than I have. If this does go to trial, how long do you think it would be before the trial begins? I understand it probably can vary greatly, but if you have followed a lot of cases like this, what seems to be the norm?
With a suspect charged and in custody who confessed, and with solid evidence (he led them to her body and gave LE details on how it all transpired) similar cases have gone to trial within a few months to a year, in my experience, which isn't expertise or specific to Iowa, but these similar circumstances.

I think LE and the DA's office is going to push very hard to get the trial underway as quickly as possible since they have so much evidence, a confession, it was a horrific (high profile) crime, etc., and probably need a few months to wrap up the forensics and document everything, and get it scheduled into the courts. The sooner the better IMO.

I wonder if CR is part of a gang. There have been several murders by Latino gangs using machetes and the videos landed on the Internet. So much about this case we don't know.
We have no evidence that he was. You appear to be talking about MS13, a gang that frequently uses machetes to attack and murder rivals. This crime is in no way indicative of something like that.

I'm reminded of a young student, around this time last year, cornfields were also involved. She has yet to be found. That trial doesn't start until next year. Ying Ying Zhang

I’ve had to skip ahead, but does someone have a map of the property where CR was living? Please and thank you!

IMO I would assume the farm would not put her and a child on the street considering the circumstances but I’m sure she would not want to stay there probably for several reasons: most farm worker housing involves living with multiple people and perhaps media knowing where she would be.
Considering the multiple death threats the farm owners have received,along with threats to burn down all their buildings, when they had no part in this crime, I would be moving out of there to some undisclosed location if I was her.

It's extremely difficult to hear about these facts coming out now, I really don't want to know more from the autopsy about any assault or further injuries... I read something about Iowa keeps autopsy details confidential except for cause of death.. Is it a given that we are going to be subjected to further grisly details from some source?

I'm pretty green regarding legal procedures

I agree, I think we know enough already as well.

BBM below means to me further autopsy results would only be revealed if the accused pleads not guilty, the case goes to trial and the ME testifies to some specific aspect. Maybe someone might confirm?

DES MOINES, Iowa -- The Iowa State Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy yesterday, August 22, 2018, on the body confirmed to be Mollie Tibbetts, and drew some preliminary conclusions.

The State Medical Examiner determined that the manner of death was homicide resulting from multiple sharp force injuries. Further examination may result in additional findings. Autopsy reports are confidential under Iowa law, except for the cause and manner of death. (Iowa Code § 22.7(4)(c)).
Preliminary Autopsy Results Available in Poweshiek County Case

I doubt that she said anything about calling police. I think the suspect concocted that to justify his imaginary "block-out". The implication is that she said something that upset him, he lost control, and only later discovered that she was dead. This is the best he could come up with after a month of thinking about how he could minimize his responsibility for the murder.

He is blaming the victim for his decision to murder her.
I believe Mollie did threaten to call police or at least reached for her phone. There was a young man in Des Moines deported back to Mexico in June for having a couple of misdemeanors on his record. He was murdered by a gang not long after he arrived in Mexico. I think the fear of deportation is very real.

Sick to read about the cause of death. Just catching up with the thread now. Good luck spinning multiple stab wounds as an accident. The only open question for me is if he attacked her and stabbed her right on 385 or if the stabbing happened at the corn field.

Based on the affidavit I think they have the last sighting of Mollie and his car on camera at 7:45pm and another sighting of his car on camera at 8:28. I don't know if that's a camera at the car wash or another business, or back the same way past the same house that caught Mollie on camera.

Considering the multiple death threats the farm owners have received,along with threats to burn down all their buildings, when they had no part in this crime, I would be moving out of there to some undisclosed location if I was her.
What on earth is wrong with people?! We have one horrific tragedy already, let's not add to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salorenz