IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DM actually is credible, for crime stories. They get info no one else does and it holds up. Have monitored their crime reporting for the past few years...they may use bombastic headlines and font but the info is good...at least as often as our MSM in US. Maybe they do pay for it, but that is what it takes sometimes. Jmo

I don’t think anyone is claiming it’s a diagnosis. More like a stereotype that has enough truth in it to be commonly recognized.

It’s been around for decades and as far as my recollect, it’s origin was based on the fact that small boys were more often bullied. Of course that was in the days when bullying was seen as something that just happened, along the lines of “boys will be boys”. So as a result shorter boys were forced to act more aggressively to counter their smaller stature.

Last edited:
As far as his "black out" he refers to during his confession, I take that to mean when he went into his rage. One of the girls that he followed and attempted to "score" with, her older sister says that Rivera was known to have a bad temper and become angry quickly not a verbatim quote, my summary of it.

This is common among men who abuse. Once they fly into a rage they sometimes can't say with any certainty what the chain of events were step by step because they are so hepped up at the time. It is as if they basically devolve into some fork of animalistic baseline behavior. It is almost like a survival mode as if their victim somehow is a threat to their very existence.

Something triggers them, they rage and impulsively leap out towards their victim. That is part of the issue with some of these guys they have ZERO control of their anger. I would guess he has a far clearer recollection of what happened but none of it is anything he is proud of and certainly nothing he wishes to admit. No one blacks out, finds an earbud and then just remembers he has a body in his trunk. He knows how it got there just can't or won't describe the 1 2 3 of the steps taken before putting her into the trunk. Simple as that imo.

I am horrified to hear that Mollie was stabbed to death. In my mind I had envisioned BFT and strangulation, I don't know why but stabbing never occurred to me in this case. There are no words and I can not imagine how her family feels. I am so sad for Mollie.

Obviously stabbing is very upclose and personal and indicative of super rage.

I don’t know how years later after being a member here I am still amazed by the capabilities of some people. I see him sitting there in the courtroom (and Chris Watts) and try to imagine him/them in their rages.

As for CR just snapping and this being his first time, I doubt it. The level of brazenness, aggression...

EA in CM’s case, and ARS in Jessica’s case, both nutjobs assaulted children as well as adults. I wouldn’t be surprised here if that’s the case as well, as I have stated previously in these threads.

“4 to 7 years in the area....”. Again, I’m interested in other unsolved cases (as we were even before Mollie was found). Who knows if CR’s DNA might match any other cold cases.

I remember our Late Great Foxfire mentioned that some SKs can start being actively violent as young as 14. My guess is CR may have started his crimes as young adult, maybe 17ish. So he’s got at least 7 plus years POTENTIALLY of active predatorial time under his belt, imo.

With the continual crime around us, I find myself now avoiding places, that are not as populated: my previous lovely river, beach, country walks with my dogs, trying not to venture out at night and making excuses for evening outings, keeping doors locked at all times even when just going into garden and back etc.
Where I live, the Capital City was awarded the most 'livable city in the world', for several years.
This year, it lost the top spot, due to an increase in crime.
It has certainly changed my outlook.
The more I hear about these creeps, the more frightening it appears everywhere.:(:(
Justice, Prison etc is not deterring them, it appears.

"Sharp force injuries" is the COD.

I can see it now:

"But I didn't PLAN this, 'yo honah. I blacked out and I reckon' I had my lil' pocket Old Timer with me that my grandpa gave me to whittle sticks."

Sheesh.
I wish we could be sure that he will have to speak for himself at trial, but alot of times it seems, the defendant doesn't end up testifying because no matter what they say in their defense, they'll end up screwing themselves / making matters worse in the eyes of their legal defense team (public defender / private lawyer).

It would be great to watch him squirm and have to answer to the charges, but awful to listen to / hear about no matter what he says anyway IMO.

Hoping for a very speedy trial and a slam dunk for the DA, and off to the Big House for him for the rest of his miserable life.

Sorry, too much going on in my life right now, so I haven't been caught up in days. Please forgive me mentioning things that have already been said or subject which have been covered and forgotten.

Right! We block out memories of things that occurred long ago, until it is basically gone from our memory. That takes years usually. Not a few minutes. I think he is claiming he " blacked out" because he was so upset and insulted that when he tried to make friends with Mollie she threatened to call police and the poor guy went into a uncontrollabe rage and now has no memory of what happened. In other words, it's Mollie's fault.
I don't doubt that he's lying about not remembering because of his rage, but it's not impossible. For many years, I tended to "black out" anytime someone near me showed signs of losing their temper, acted too aggressive and several other triggers. The difference is that I always did remember (thought I would have preferred to forget) when I responded violently instead. Unlike most people, I don't see what he says as blaming Mollie, I see it as him making an excuse for why he didn't stop himself. Either way, whether he remembers it or not, he's still at fault. When he "came to", why would he automatically assume that an earbud in his lap meant there was a body in the trunk? He also could have gone and turned himself in right away rather than hiding her body (which he says he remembers doing.) If he was going to confess as soon as he was questioned, he should have just gone immediately and confessed.

Is psychopathy considered a mental illness? What category does it fall into?
Psychopathy is not technically a mental illness, it's a personality disorder. Mental illnesses can (often) be cured/treated, but personality disorders can basically just be controlled. People with personality disorders can learn how to behave the same way "normal" people do, and how to fit in socially, but the underlying problem is always there. MOO

LOL relax and I say this very respectfully :) ... I was the first to state that there is no acknowledged syndrome because it has yet to be recognized...I pointed SharonNeedles in the direction of descriptions of people that suffer from self esteem issues. Oh, it exists as a phenemenom as it is medically referred to as low self esteem. There are a myriad of reasons some suffer from low self esteem and much of it is something they have no control over and can not change. As a result SOME men have a complex BECAUSE they are short and feel they do not measure up. It is something they can not change which also contributes to their anger and frustration which CAN result in them lashing out verbally or violently towards WOMEN who they perceive as judging or rejecting them.

Let's not get lost in the words here. If you need to hear it as someone who suffers from low self esteem, then let's call it that. I'm really ok with that.
I really don't believe that being short is a cause of low self-esteem, although being teased about it (even in a friendly way) may increase problems with self-esteem. I once worked with a guy who was 6'7" and he hated people always commenting on how tall he was, partially because his girlfriend was an inch taller than him, and his roommate was 7'0". I also worked with a guy at the same place who was 3'7" and had at least a 10' ego! I know many guys who are happy, well-adjust successful men and are only 5'5" to 5'9". I also know men who are 6'0"+ with very low self-esteem. I don't think height on its own causes problems, it's just one of many things that can help run a person's self worth into the ground. MOO

I want to see exactly where she was found to see if it corroborates with my minds eye view...

I don’t think anyone is claiming it’s a diagnosis. More like a stereotype that has enough truth in it to be commonly recognized.
Exactly. Believe it or not, there were a few posts stating it as a "real syndrome"and several responses agreeing. I had already clarified and kept seeing it come up, so I don't mean to sound redundant. There are actually experiments that have been conducted in that very thing. I just made the point that you can easily have called " skinny mans syndrome." At any rate we know that this killer very likely has many issues. It will be interesting to see what the testing reveals. I know some people don't care about that aspect, and some are really interested to find out how this guy's mind actually works.

Plain and simple...Le got lucky with the video and even more lucky when he showed them where Mollie could be found. Nothing against Le but these are facts. If no video, no CR. If CR did not feel like talking, no Mollie for her family, until who knows when.

With a suspect charged and in custody who confessed, and with solid evidence (he led them to her body and gave LE details on how it all transpired) similar cases have gone to trial within a few months to a year, in my experience, which isn't expertise or specific to Iowa, but these similar circumstances.

I think LE and the DA's office is going to push very hard to get the trial underway as quickly as possible since they have so much evidence, a confession, it was a horrific (high profile) crime, etc., and probably need a few months to wrap up the forensics and document everything, and get it scheduled into the courts. The sooner the better IMO.
I was not aware that he “confessed” but he stated he “blacked out”.

I'm just not onboard with him lacking emotion. If anyone else watched the court proceeding, you witnessed a man with shame (of some kind) & fear all over his face (and body). He barely looked anyone in the eye, and kept his head down the majority of the time (did someone possibly whisper threats in his ear on the way into the courtroom? Possibly. Heck, part of me hopes so. But, no matter the cause, he was clearly scared). I think it's easy to say only someone with no emotion and no conscience could do something so horrific, but that isn't what I saw when I watched him, so my mental jury is still out. After all, rage is an emotion.
Yes! This! I saw fear and a lot of shame. To me all the shame is about being a disgrace to his family for this crime, being what I believe was rape and murder. JMO

I was thinking this but would they have said they have reason to believe she's still alive for 3 weeks if they knew the first week she was dead? That's a little rough for her family. Although I guess they could have looked at the data optimistically and said they thought her fitbit fell off or battery died.

The affidavit listed a very narrow time for the crime, something like 7:45 pm to 8:28 pm which I took to be when she died. I haven’t read through everything in this thread, so did I miss something about her staying alive for 3 weeks? If I read the affidavit correctly, she died the 18th of July, the night she was kidnapped

Is psychopathy considered a mental illness? What category does it fall into?

It is considered to be a personality disorder, and is listed separately from mental illness on a psych eval.

With the continual crime around us, I find myself now avoiding places, that are not as populated: my previous lovely river, beach, country walks with my dogs, trying not to venture out at night and making excuses for evening outings, keeping doors locked at all times even when just going into garden and back etc.
Where I live, the Capital City was awarded the most 'livable city in the world', for several years.
This year, it lost the top spot, due to an increase in crime.
It has certainly changed my outlook.
The more I hear about these creeps, the more frightening it appears everywhere.:(:(
Justice, Prison etc is not deterring them, it appears.
Although the violent crime rate differs from place to place, nationally (US), it has dropped precipitously over the past 25 years. We are more aware of crime now, and the age of social media and instant news helps to stoke this fear that we are generally less safe than in the past.

I agree that those times on the affidavit might be camera captures and think that is the timeframe in which he abducted her. I don't think he could grab her, drive south, possibly assault her, and kill her in 43 minutes. Makes me sick to even type that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper