IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read, when first talking with LE, people often want to unburden themselves and/or get "credit" for their work. However, once the enormity of the situation begins to dawn on them, they want to start protecting themselves.

Answering your reservations, one by one:
* he refused an appointed attorney -- he already had an attorney, did not need one appointed by the court which he might not trust;

*didn't speak any English in the arraignment, not even yes and no -- following orders from his attorney now that he has realized he can go to prison for the rest of his life;

*So I don't see him jogging beside her having a conversation as there would have been a language barrier. -- He has been in the country for years. His GF and Mollie were on the track team together. I think it's likely he knew enough English to get buy, plus we have no idea how much Spanish Mollie might have been capable of.

* Maybe this guy found the body on a farm he worked on and reported it? -- Possible, I suppose. But then there would have to be corruption to the highest level of the justice system, not just in that single Iowa County, but across the State in into the FBI to believe that they would set up a farm worker for this. Sorry, I find that scenario much less believable.

*Does this guy even know what the police report says? -- He had an attorney and two translators in court with him. Yep, I'm pretty confident they're making sure he knows what's happening, and that's why he's suddenly not talking. Not that he doesn't understand, but that now he's come down from the high of unburdening himself, he understands only too well.

In one article, they showed his text messages when he was asked about Mollie

He clearly can write and understand English

But that’s not the point of having the translators, it’s to hopefully prevent a mistrial or appeal, he can’t say he didn’t understand, especially with two sitting there.

His attorney hiring a second one was all for show, as in he wanted to convey he doesn’t trust the court appointed one, IMO

Will be interesting to see if he continues to pay for one

With all due respect, the second interpreter is there to insure that the communication between defendant and his attorney remains confidential and privileged.

From what I've read, when first talking with LE, people often want to unburden themselves and/or get "credit" for their work. However, once the enormity of the situation begins to dawn on them, they want to start protecting themselves.

Answering your reservations, one by one:
* he refused an appointed attorney -- he already had an attorney, did not need one appointed by the court which he might not trust;

*didn't speak any English in the arraignment, not even yes and no -- following orders from his attorney now that he has realized he can go to prison for the rest of his life;

*So I don't see him jogging beside her having a conversation as there would have been a language barrier. -- He has been in the country for years. His GF and Mollie were on the track team together. I think it's likely he knew enough English to get by, plus we have no idea how much Spanish Mollie might have been capable of.

* Maybe this guy found the body on a farm he worked on and reported it? -- Possible, I suppose. But then there would have to be corruption to the highest level of the justice system, not just in that single Iowa County, but across the State in into the FBI to believe that they would set up a farm worker for this. Sorry, I find that scenario much less believable.

*Does this guy even know what the police report says? -- He had an attorney and two translators in court with him. Yep, I'm pretty confident they're making sure he knows what's happening, and that's why he's suddenly not talking. Not that he doesn't understand, but that now he's come down from the high of unburdening himself, he understands only too well.

Good points. TY

In one article, they showed his text messages when he was asked about Mollie

He clearly can write and understand English

But that’s not the point of having the translators, it’s to hopefully prevent a mistrial or appeal, he can’t say he didn’t understand, especially with two sitting there.
See how well this strategy works? People don't even think he knows english when he's been flirting with girls in english on text messaging apps since the murder.

OK, we're not supposed to criticize LE. So, what might be the reason that they waited a month before telling the general public what behaviors the perp might have? (Including unusual reactions when people are discussing the possible crime.)

Where do you get the idea from that story that LE was aware of his reaction? Even the girl quoted didn't think it was all that strange until after the fact.

Daily Mail said:
'Thinking back on it now, he did seem pretty uncomfortable talking about her, but other than that he seemed normal,' she said.

Before he could answer yes or no, he would need to understand the question, right?

Why the reluctance to allow a Spanish speaker a translator in court? I don't get this at all....especially since denying one could lead to any conviction being overturned. Is it hate or spite or unwillingness to pay for our judicial system? Seriously, what is the problem people are having with the translators?? I don't understand at all.

jmo

Yes, obviously the question from the Judge needs to be translated; but he could still respond 'yes or no' in English; Instead the answers went through the translator.

See how well this strategy works? People don't even think he knows english when he's been flirting with girls in english on text messaging apps since the murder.
Do you see a difference between chatting with friends in English and understanding court proceedings in English? Or do you think they require the same level of fluency?

Serious question.

While we are all waiting for the autopsy and other facts to be known, I just wanted to point out that in my opinion, most of us were pretty far off in our theories in this case. Part of what threw it off for me was the idea that everyone knows everyone in this town. This does not apply to ghosts and we all need to consider that in future theories.

Do you have a link that says he already had an attorney? Please keep reading posts about how he obtained and paid for the attorney, but I can't find any information to back up what people are saying. Please provide a link so I can understand what people are talking about in terms of his attorney.

Thank you!

Defendant declined a court appointed attorney during his initial appearance yesterday which was televised.

Yes, obviously the question from the Judge needs to be translated; but he could still respond 'yes or no' in English; Instead the answers went through the translator.
That seems a bit nitpicky to me, but I guess you're right. He could have said yes or no directly to the judge rather than speaking to the person who just spoke to him.

jmo

From what I've heard, he has Facebook conversations in English. He's lived here between 4 to 7 years. Chances are, he's competent in conversational English. But, since he's in a serious situation, I'd bet that his lawyers have told him to stay with the language he knows best, Spanish, and work through a translator.

I don't understand what you mean by: "refused an appointed attorney." He has an attorney--if it's a private attorney donating his time, that might be considered better than a public defender?

I agree that DNA tests of the car and trunk should tell us a lot, although we may not hear it till the trial.
Agreed, I know a lot of people who know enough English to hold a conversation but our langue is not the easiest and for something like this it is better for him to communication in his native language so he can fully understand everything.

With all due respect, the second interpreter is there to insure that the communication between defendant and his attorney remains confidential and privileged.

I appreciate your explanation but how does that insure communications remain private and confidential?

I’m not understanding you.

TIA

Do you see a difference between chatting with friends in English and understanding court proceedings in English? Or do you think they require the same level of fluency?

Serious question.
He definitely needs a translator to understand court speak. But the issue with the language barrier has nothing to do with the court but everything to do with the crime that took place. People are wondering if Mollie didn't understand his intentions due to the language difference. People are also wondering if the kid is being set up. But yes, he needs a translator otherwise we could call this a mistrial or for right now a lack of due process

Maybe it should say "everyone knew everyone" in their own "social circles". Anyone "outside" that "social" circle was "known of". ie: the owner of a large business; wouldn't necessarily hang out with or socialize with a "labor" worker. I don't mean this disrespectfully - I live in the middle of 100+ acres of prune orchards. I "know of" the workers who work in the orchard - recognize them by sight, we wave at each other in passing - but we don't know each other outside of them working in the orchard. JMO

Probably true. I guess I just keep hearing 'everyone knew everyone' in this small town so I don't understand how there never any red flags. Something. Anything.

That's understandable. Everyone probably did know about everyone. Most people who knew CR would have known him as someone who works at YF, not by either name necessarily. Mollie and friends of his GF would probably have known him by the name his GF called him without ever questioning whether it was his right name or not. The number of people who would even be aware of his work name would be the 1-2 people who hired him, his dozen co-workers (who may have called him by his "nickname"), the person who made out the check and who ever cashed the check. If someone called him by the wrong name, CR would have just laughed and shrugged, "Has always called me that. Don't know why." In a small town you sort of know everyone, by where they work, they always turn out for certain ball games, they're always working a certain club's fundraisers and everybody calls him "Ed", but you don't require photo ID and thumbprint. It's a casual knowing.

While we are all waiting for the autopsy and other facts to be known, I just wanted to point out that in my opinion, most of us were pretty far off in our theories in this case. Part of what threw it off for me was the idea that everyone knows everyone in this town. This does not apply to ghosts and we all need to consider that in future theories.

(O/T, I’m thinking more about BG now, and wondering if he lives in “Rural Delphi”.)

IMO even LE thought Mollie’s perp might have been in from out of town, after turning Brooklyn upside down.

Where do you get the idea from that story that LE was aware of his reaction? Even the girl quoted didn't think it was all that strange until after the fact.

No, I didn't mean to imply at all that LE was aware of his reaction. What I meant was--there's a standard list of behaviors that the general public is told to notice in a co-worker, a neighbor. I've heard them dozens of times, in dozens of cases. And for the last month, I've been wondering why, why, LE wasn't bothering to mention them, in this case. (They finally did, in the last press conference before the arrest--but that was rather late--people's memories would have faded.)

Yeah she also stated when she heard his response, she "panicked" and began asking everybody about it. Yet she didn't think anything of it. Strange. Unfortunately we can't rely on an article from the "Daily Mail."

He definitely needs a translator to understand court speak. But the issue with the language barrier has nothing to do with the court but everything to do with the crime that took place. People are wondering if Mollie didn't understand his intentions due to the language difference. People are also wondering if the kid is being set up. But yes, he needs a translator otherwise we could call this a mistrial or for right now a lack of due process
Hmm...that's not what I'm reading on this thread. I'm reading that people are upset he has a translator in court.

But I definitely agree he understood Mollie's intentions that she didn't want anything to do with him on that jog that day. He knew.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member