Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't think he ever went to school here. I could be wrong, but at that age, with a seventh grade level, why bother? I think you are right in thinking he went straight to work. There is a strong work ethic in that culture, and many are willing to work long hours for little pay. For the money they make here they can go back to Mexico and buy a home after 10 years. Why waste time with school?
In order for him to survive in the US, he had to work. I doubt that going to school was ever on his mind.

Absolutely. I was just theorizing a defense in order to illustrate how his attorney could go after the crucial “intent” element.
I asked a question based on an example I just kind of threw out there. That's where that came from. .. thanks

Absolutely. I was just theorizing a defense in order to illustrate how his attorney could go after the crucial “intent” element.

Honestly the only viable defense I can think of was shot by the COD. If it was truly a car accident and he panicked and hid her body, a good defense lawyer could probably get that down to manslaughter.

Given the facts of the warrant and autopsy report, the only plausible theory that would not have CR responsible was if he was just the driver and someone else committed the crime. But then he's a conspirator/accessory and can be charged with the crime anyway.

So I'm not the only one who thinks he's older than 24. He really doesn't look that young.

On this subject--how far back does his Facebook go? Someone said that picture of the rifles on a bed dated back a long ways. What I'm thinking is--does his home town, the way it's been described, really have Internet access, for him to set up a Facebook account? In other words--this is pure wild speculation, but could it indicate that he's been in the US, or at least been out of his home village, longer than seven years?

If someone can disprove this idea, go for it! I'm not invested in it.

Mollie was probably well aware of the need to make the call without alerting the abductor. I'm just guessing that Mollie was immediately aware of the danger she was in as soon as she saw the suspect stop the car.

This is very plausible IMO. Assuming she saw him coming. If he stopped in front of her wouldnt her natural instincts kick in & she goes for phone immediately (strange car, running alone, rural secluded road, dusk)?? Or she’s ambushed from behind (headphones & doesn’t hear him). Incredibly terrifying either way & feel devastated for her & her family.

In order for him to survive in the US, he had to work. I doubt that going to school was ever on his mind.

I'm curious why it wasn't on his aunt and uncles minds. I've read that he could be registered in school even as an illegal immigrant child. Why didn't they immediately register him in school? Was he older than 16?

I'm curious why it wasn't on his aunt and uncles minds. I've read that he could be registered in school even as an illegal immigrant child. Why didn't they immediately register him in school? Was he older than 16?
Good question. Perhaps they were here for the same reason, to make a living. I guess, what’s the point of an education if you are going to work a job in agriculture anyways?

On this subject--how far back does his Facebook go? Someone said that picture of the rifles on a bed dated back a long ways. What I'm thinking is--does his home town, the way it's been described, really have Internet access, for him to set up a Facebook account? In other words--this is pure wild speculation, but could it indicate that he's been in the US, or at least been out of his home village, longer than seven years?

I believe he posted the picture of guns in 2011, but the time stamp on the photo itself (like an old school digital camera) said 2004. That made people think he likely found the picture online and reposted it since he would have been young in 2004. I don't know if that's true or not though.

I honestly don't think he ever went to school here. I could be wrong, but at that age, with a seventh grade level, why bother? I think you are right in thinking he went straight to work. There is a strong work ethic in that culture, and many are willing to work long hours for little pay. For the money they make here they can go back to Mexico and buy a home after 10 years. Why waste time with school?

Thanks MsBetsy! I'm trying to find the article I read today that quoted his father about there not being jobs in their town and how CR would send money back to his family.

Hold please....

Mollie was probably well aware of the need to make the call without alerting the abductor. I'm just guessing that Mollie was immediately aware of the danger she was in as soon as she saw the suspect stop the car.

This is very plausible IMO. Assuming she saw him coming. If he stopped in front of her wouldnt her natural instincts kick in & she goes for phone immediately (strange car, running alone, rural secluded road, dusk)?? Or she’s ambushed from behind (headphones & doesn’t hear him). Incredibly terrifying either way & feel devastated for her & her family.
I can see the situation playing out like the suspect suggested. He creeped her out. She tried to get him to back off by threatening to call the police. Then he struck, before she could react.

Honestly the only viable defense I can think of was shot by the COD. If it was truly a car accident and he panicked and hid her body, a good defense lawyer could probably get that down to manslaughter.

Given the facts of the warrant and autopsy report, the only plausible theory that would not have CR responsible was if he was just the driver and someone else committed the crime. But then he's a conspirator/accessory and can be charged with the crime anyway.

There's no evidence of a car accident. He was circling the bloc near Mollies' mother's house and he admits to running at her when she was jogging.

I think her Fitbit will tell as story that is completely inconsistent with car accident and body dump.

Good question. Perhaps they were here for the same reason, to make a living. I guess, what’s the point of an education if you are going to work a job in agriculture anyways?

I know I'm usually the wet blanket but this is a little grim. Wouldn't anyone want a free public school education and the opportunity to do more than farm work? It's reported his father is a farmer in Mexico, I'd imagine his parents wanted him to have a better life than they had. Something got off track somewhere with this guy.

I can’t disprove your theory. In regard to his town in Mex having Internet, there are a lot of classmates from his former school (in Mex) on FB, which I assume means that they have access somewhere nearby. Many of his FB friends still live in Mex, although some are here.

Last edited:
There's no evidence of a car accident. He was circling the bloc near Mollies' mother's house and he admits to running at her when she was jogging.

I think her Fitbit will tell as story that is completely inconsistent with car accident and body dump.

That's why I said "was completely shot down by the cause of death."

I believe he posted the picture of guns in 2011, but the time stamp on the photo itself (like an old school digital camera) said 2004. That made people think he likely found the picture online and reposted it since he would have been young in 2004. I don't know if that's true or not though.
That was my read on the photo. I think it was posted to look “cool” or “tough” or something. With that date stamp he would have been something like 10 years old at the time. People used that to speculate that he had an arsenal of weapons, which is not the case.

if not found online then scan a old pic in that had a date stamp on it? pic could have come from anywhere

Hey Everyone,

Mollie's thread will close in about 5 minutes

I know I'm usually the wet blanket but this is a little grim. Wouldn't anyone want a free public school education and the opportunity to do more than farm work? It's reported his father is a farmer in Mexico, I'd imagine his parents wanted him to have a better life than they had. Something got off track somewhere with this guy.

For whatever reason he did not get in US legally. Maybe he couldn’t afford to immigrate legally. It’s expensive. He might have chosen school if he was legally in US, but b/c he would have to register for school, and they would discover his status, he prob avoided it. Not a fact, JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360