IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So do you think that Mollie was abducted from the side of the country road by knifepoint and she complied?

By the description of her personality by her family, I disagree. It’s also common knowledge that the odds of survival are greater if a victim fights to prevent an abduction, as opposed to the unknown fate in an unknown location as abductors rarely allow their victims to walk free.
Based on CBR's statement that MT had blood on her head; I think her head took a very hard hit on the ground due to being tackled or punched. Probably after he made a grab for her and she struck back.

Wouldn't be surprised if the full autopsy report a month from now will show a skull fracture and that MT probably had a concussion. Doubtful MT could resist after she went down.

YES!

Thank you, I knew I read it somewhere!!!!!!

I wonder if he could see her jogging from there?

Reports from his co-workers said she lived with with and went to her Mom’s the day he was arrested, that’s something that’s been overlooked too.

You’re welcome. I just happened to notice that while I was looking for something else I thought I remembered, but now I forgot what that was.

Anyway from that same DM link -
“Dane Lang, co-owner of Yarrabee Farms, confirmed that Rivera had lived in the trailer 'for the past couple of years'”

Can’t know for sure but CR moving to this trailer would appx coincide with the time of his reported breakup with IM.

Before the body was found there was a lot of info about her routes. People here at WS were putting together maps with potential routes. I studied those maps before I went there to film hoping to cover as much relevant routes as I could. Not one mention of “hey, sometimes she leaves town and runs down the blacktop.” But now it’s “oh yeah, she runs there all the time.” I don’t get it.
That is kind of odd. Maybe the route they took was to memorialize her very last run and somewhere along the line it was mistakenly referred to as one of her favorite routes? Where did the quote come from and who was supposed to have said it?

He could have possibly parked in the drive at the house that was being built.
That's what I was thinking at first but then the problem is, why would he chose a spot right in front of a house to abduct or attack someone? It must have been further up the road where it is more secluded.

Based on CBR's statement that MT had blood on her head; I think her head took a very hard hit on the ground due to being tackled or punched. Probably after he made a grab for her and she struck back.

Wouldn't be surprised if the full autopsy report a month from now will show a skull fracture and that MT probably had a concussion. Doubtful MT could resist after she went down.

Given the tragic outcome, I truly hope MT hit her hear and was unconscious very early on in the attack so she was aware of as little as possible.

It’s true, no facts have been released to indicate a SA occurred and it is known Mollie suffered a horrible fate without added imaginative speculation to make it even more horrendous. It would indeed be disturbing for family members and friends to read.

As CR chose to implicate himself with more than enough details to qualify for the first degree murder charges that were laid against him, I can’t think of one good reason why the State would be motivated to argue any other creative theory against such a confession. Should this case go to trial, imo his self-admissions will become the prosecution’s key evidence to gain a conviction against him.
It could very well have been a sexually motivated crime. I think it would make a difference to the prosecution because it could indicate that her death occurred as a result of the SA. But I'm sure there are others who can explain the significance of that.

That's what I was thinking at first but then the problem is, why would he chose a spot right in front of a house to abduct or attack someone? It must have been further up the road where it is more secluded.

The house being built or renovated in the video posted earlier would be a prime spot, no one there?

Last edited:

Possibly he was pulled over at one of the cornfield entrances pretending his car had broken down and asked MT if she had a phone he could use. I don't like to speculate but there is no way my brain can wrap around his story of what transpired. I just don't believe he would have been so brazen as to allow someone to see him abducting her in broad daylight.

It was this, about the timeline. During the Aug 22nd press conference Rahn mentioned that the arrest proved their timeline. So indeed far more information was known than was ever released to the general public.

From July 30th
“Rick Rahn, a special agent in charge at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said investigators have a “pretty tight timeline” of Tibbetts’s activities before she disappeared, but he said he can’t release any information at this time....”
‘It doesn’t matter what we’re going through’: Missing student’s father wants help, not sympathy

While in jail, is CR likely in solitary confinement or in the general population? Any reason to believe he has been, or may now be on suicide watch? What is the likelihood there are other Spanish-speaking cellmates, or Spanish-speaking guards or jailers? Even with his ability to speak English, I would assume that he is more comfortable conversing in Spanish. Were there any such someone physically close to him inside the jail walls, it seems there would be a better chance he may talk and give up more information. JMO
I looked up the county jail. It only has 40 beds so not a very large prison population. Not even an outer surrounding fence that I could see.

SN, I hear you loud and clear, but could he be referring to the Hispanic farm based sub rosa ghetto community that does not participate in any mainstream Brooklyn activities, other than Casey's (It's the pizza), school for their kids and Church (they're mainly Catholic you know...and, well, you know how us Catholics can be...)...just my thoughts.

As an aside, there is a Maid-Rite near the new attorney's office. Iowa cuisine at it's best! (No, I jest, as I have had better in Iowa). As a local, just WHAT is native Iowa cuisine? I mean aside from Brats, SWEET corn on the cob, and potato salad? While at school in Davenport, I once boiled 20lbs of shrimp at the Student Union bar with cajun seasoning, Iowa SWEET corn and veggies, and the locals and the Australians went nuts! Ah, life on the storied Iowa coast!

I have no idea what brats is, mentioned here several times and Mollie was to have some, that night.:(
I'm an Australian, and my Capital City won 'most liveable city in the world' several years running. It is known for its cuisine. This year, due to increase in crime, achieved only second possie.

Wonder if you guys have tasted our Vegemite: very popular here!

The house being built or renovated for the video posted earlier would be a prime spot, no one there?
I thought I saw a truck in the driveway in the video. Plus it would be hard to know when no-one was there, especially if it was under construction. There could have been various people working on it at different times.

Rural, farm, illegal immigrant.
"Why would Mollie, a university student, know an illegal immigrant who worked on a dairy farm?"
Brought this over from the last thread:
For the reasons I stated in the post you were replying to. I'm not sure where you are from, but I'm doubting it was a small town with a graduating class of less than 60. Everybody knows everybody. Especially people that are only a year older/younger than you. We already know the girlfriend and Mollie were friends on Facebook. CR's girlfriend was a cheerleader, they would have gone to dances and games etc. Mollie was a year behind her.
Notice the name of Mollies high school? 3 different small towns in the area went there, exactly like my high school, so the kids that went to grade school in Brooklyn (and junior high depending on how they do it there) she knew since 2nd grade - the same 20 kids, about 150 kids in K-6.
So, she knew his girlfriend pretty well and I have no doubt she knew who the father of her baby was. I don't think they were friends, I don't they ever had each other's number, but yeah, I think she knew who he was.

(I will add, why wouldn't she know someone that worked on a dairy farm? Granted, I can only speak from my own experience but are people from bigger cities really that snobby? Also, how would she know he's an illegal immigrant?)

Edited because I continued to read more posts:
Please note in my post I said I feel she knew him by sight. I'm not sure how that could be misconstrued into implying that they have a connection. I know the girl that bags my groceries and recognize her when I see her at my gym, that certainly doesn't mean we have a "connection". I'm pretty sure the police wouldn't delve into that realm of possibility either.

Last edited:
I have no idea what brats is, mentioned here several times and Mollie was to have some, that night.:(
I'm an Australian, and my Capital City won 'most liveable city in the world' several years running. It is known for its cuisine. This year, due to increase in crime, achieved only second possie.

Wonder if you guys have tasted our Vegemite: very popular here!
It's short for Brautworst, if I'm spelling it right. My phone changed it to bratworse at first. Neither looks right to me. Guess that doesn't help much.

Unfortunately, under Iowa law, the autopsy report will not be released to the public, only the primary cause of death, as we have already heard. But I agree with you with the possibility of significant head trauma.

It could very well have been a sexually motivated crime. I think it would make a difference to the prosecution because it could indicate that her death occurred as a result of the SA. But I'm sure there are others who can explain the significance of that.

In the State’s Criminal Code, there are various different definitions as to what constitutes first degree murder (707.2). CR was charged under section 1.a, not 1.b. Motive is not required to be proven. Premeditated murder (deliberate intent to kill) is equally serious as murder committed during a forcible felony and given his confession, far easier to prove. JMO
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/707.pdf

ETA - Given it was a matter of weeks before her body was found, even IF there was any indication of sexual trauma, it would be impossible to prove if that occurred before or after death. A forcible felony cannot be committed against a victim if that person is already deceased. That includes both abduction or sexual assault.

Last edited:
"Why would Mollie, a university student, know an illegal immigrant who worked on a dairy farm?"
Brought this over from the last thread:
For the reasons I stated in the post you were replying to. I'm not sure where you are from, but I'm doubting it was a small town with a graduating class of less than 60. Everybody knows everybody. Especially people that are only a year older/younger than you. We already know the girlfriend and Mollie were friends on Facebook. CR's girlfriend was a cheerleader, they would have gone to dances and games etc. Mollie was a year behind her.
Notice the name of Mollies high school? 3 different small towns in the area went there, exactly like my high school, so the kids that went to grade school in Brooklyn (and junior high depending on how they do it there) she knew since 2nd grade - the same 20 kids, about 150 kids in K-6.
So, she knew his girlfriend pretty well and I have no doubt she knew who the father of her baby was. I don't think they were friends, I don't they ever had each other's number, but yeah, I think she knew who he was.

(I will add, why wouldn't she know someone that worked on a dairy farm? Granted, I can only speak from my own experience but are people from bigger cities really that snobby? Also, how would she know he's an illegal immigrant?)
If you are talking to Otto I'm not sure he's here. But if he is, I'm sure you will get an earful. Or a see through. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop