ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question I have not seen discussed yet - why did BK choose a knife vs a gun? And what does the answer tell us about him, potentially?
I imagine if he was always planning a night attack in a populated area, he figured gunshots would draw attention pretty fast.

I remember debating this with people for the Jamie Closs case. Neighbors heard some gunshots but didn't necessarily think anything of it. Posters who lived in towns tended to have a hard time understanding that and said they would have called 911 immediately, which is understandable if you're not used to hearing it. It would indicate something was very wrong or not normal. But as someone who's lived most of her life in a very rural area where people hunt and shoot varmints and target-practice for fun, it would never occur to me to call 911 because I heard shots where I lived, even in the middle of the night. (I would have totally called 911 if I'd heard gunshots when I lived in an apartment for college, though.)

Gunshots in the middle of the night in a college town on a street packed full of student housing and other residences would probably have quite a few 911 calls made pronto. MOO

What is this I've read about a security camera that recorded a thump and dog barking? Is this security footage from outside or within the victims' residence?
The PCA said it was on a house about 50 feet from Xana's bedroom wall (if I am remembering correctly from my read of it earlier today). So I am thinking it was a camera on the house that sits slightly in front of where the murders happened.

MOO.

BBM for context.
I agree with you they do not shed as much as other dogs. they are recommended dogs for people who have allergies, AFAIK.
But they are still living, moving, biological animals. Who drip their saliva, shed dead skin cells, eyelashes, and so on and so forth.
Any of those things from Murphy, if found within BK car, his apartment, or his parent's home would be the icing on the cake, in terms of prosecution. Of course, JMO.
Yes very true, however I would think it would be much more incriminating and certainly more likely that he would have all of those biological elements from the 4 victims on him to carry to those varies places MOO

That's stalking as it says. That's not carefully planning a murder.
Alrighty then. He was stalking these girls or girl that he drove a knife into, slashed then to an horrific death… then horrific slashed to death their roommates… then took his stalking, murdering *advertiser censored* self out the back door while leaving a young woman traumatized… all in less than at best maybe 10-12 minutes? All carefully unplanned. Alrighty then.

• Sad
Reactions: IDK
Eeeeeewwww. But how would he have had the time? The wording about him possibly leaving thru the sliding glass door was weird. 4 people in 15 minutes…idk
I really don't think 15 minutes is that long a time to stab four people lying in bed. A strong man with a sharp, sturdy knife can stab a person to death in ten to fifteen seconds if he's not resisting. And it doesn't take much time at all to enter a house, walk up a short flight of stairs, do the deed in one room, walk up another short flight of stairs and do the same deed in another room. I think the only thing that delayed him here was that Xana lived long enough to drag herself out of bed and across the floor. The sound reported by DM of someone saying "I'm going to help you," was probably him, attending to her as he returned from downstairs. Then he simply walks out the back door.

A question I have not seen discussed yet - why did BK choose a knife vs a gun? And what does the answer tell us about him, potentially?
I'm no psych but a knife could be a phallic symbol, in his head. Hopefully that doesn't offend anyone. Plus it's silent, no alerting neighbors so there's a quick getaway. Jmo

Here’s what really has my attention: how was he was already driving by their house in June when he didn’t move out there until August? Is it possible that he found their social media accounts while still living in PA (the girls’ IG’s are public), became obsessed, and chose a university for his Ph.D program that was specifically near them so he could stalk IRL instead of online? That sounds insane, but how else to explain that he was scoping out a random street in Idaho two months before his semester at WSU started?
RBBM
Where does the June info come from?
TIA

This made me think. JMO.
Motive-wise, could this be directed towards the LE? Maybe disgruntled for the rejection of the internship?
Thats all I've got, ATM. Any thoughts?
ETA: I'm so sorry @MsBetsy I did not mean to tangent from your post like that.
Nothing to be sorry about!
I was thinking along those lines, too.
He had been interested in joining LE since he was a teenager. He had taken a high school LE class and at age 28 still had an interest.
Was all this because he really planned on being a criminologist, cop or professor or was he just gathering information for himself?

Or did he think he could be like Joseph D'Angelo and work as a police officer while committing his crimes?

Was he carefully planning the murders for months or did something trigger him?

Like I said before, it's like a general planning for a beach invasion and forgetting about planning for how many boats and ships he's going to need.

This was anything but careful planning. The aimless driving, 3 point turns, driving into a dead end area and driving back and forth in front of the murder house....in a neighborhood that doesn't get that much vehicle traffic at that point during the day. Not to mention using your car in the first place with all the cameras. That is not moving with a purpose. That's sloppy. It was the LE mentioning that it was a sloppy crime scene that made me feel it was not a prior soldier as many on here claimed.

Forget everything else. Just the actions of the vehicle movement alone shows me this was POOR planning.
Agreed. But, I think HE may have thought he had everything figured out.

Staking-out/stalking the house 12 times prior to the murders is a start.
I'm not saying that BK didn't plan it and/or have a fantasy to kill. I just think that you're giving him too much credit if you consider any of that careful planning. He planned poorly.

Yeah, I think Snoopster's post seems like an underestimation of XK - she's not going to be drawn in by someone who just stabbed her boyfriend. I agree that it may have been BK sadistically saying it.
I think so too. After all, what other male person was there who could have said it?

He probably got the knife around this time. Aspiring army ranger. Could have even been a gift.

Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger wanted to be Army Ranger, yearbook reveals​

Attachments

• 81E5A169-14D2-4FE7-A274-121F5D06DDD0.jpeg
    81E5A169-14D2-4FE7-A274-121F5D06DDD0.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
What is this I've read about a security camera that recorded a thump and dog barking? Is this security footage from outside or within the victims' residence?

Hard to reconcile the facts: an educated student of criminology managed to brutally stab 4 people to death in a very small window of time yet this same person left not only a digital trail of evidence but also the sheath to the murder weapon and a living witness.
Page 4 of the Affidavit

Camera on neighboring house

91CA6EC5-D42A-4747-A72F-9B2D1ED624BD.jpeg

He probably was searching for news on the murders and just couldn't wait anymore. Imagine his surprise when he drove by and didn't see any police activity.
Right?! I thought about that and wondered, if that was indeed the case, if he was half tempted to call in the murders himself......just to get that ball rolling.

Maybe he threatened the girl so she would not call and he drove by to check that she had not alerted the cops yet. Probably told her not to call until a specific time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mechahendrix