ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Move to Pullman. I've toyed with the idea he wanted to move far away and start with a clean slate and it went horribly wrong. JMO

I moved 900 miles away when I was 18, for a brief time, just to figure out who I actually was.
Yes. Moving a long distance from home can be a life refresher. I've done that, too.

But the stalking begins before he's settled into a new environment unless he moved into his apartment prior to August.

A quote comes to mind: "wherever you go, there you are."

JMO

And it's not the pings alone, it's the pings plus the surveillance video that is so damning, especially with the video of him exiting the car at Albertsons. And with the DNA, It's too many coincidences.
IMO MOO The white car on video is also very week. They dont have a license plate, they dont have a real eyewitness, they dont have any clear pics of it and they broadcasted that they were looking for a 2011-2013 Elantra and only changed it to a 2015 when they found out BCK had a 2015.

IMO Any good defense attorney can easily create plenty of Reasonable Doubt with all three of these circumstantial pieces of evidence. (Pings, Video & that particular type DNA and what it was found on) again MOO

If BCK is indeed the sole perpetrator of these murders I hope the prosecution has some solid evidence to bring to the table.

I'm not basing my comments on feelings.

He was bullied & used heroin at a very young age. Factual? 99% chance of that answer being yes based on reports in the media.

I won't go on at length though I could. Plenty of facts will be found that shock the emotions but are still FACTS.

I'm not piling on the guy because I find his facial expressions creepy. Never have. Check the threads.

I am puzzled by the setup of a facts vs emotions dichotomy. The facts we have & will likely come to know will affect any rational person's emotions. That won't change them from facts to speculation based on feelings.

MOO

Yeah, I haven't seen any facial expression pile-ons here, at all, but especially not from you.

I agree with your take on the facts. He wasn't just bullied, he had a neurological deficit that made everything much harder for him.

The "emotions vs facts" dichotomy is as old as the hills and just about as valuable as stating that men are reasoning creatures and women are emotional. We are all both of those. I'm totally on your page and glad you said it. Maybe we should keep saying it.

That being said, the MRI results of people with VSS do show a downturn in some brain functioning in parts of the brain that regulate the limbic (emotional) system. The differences between VSS patients (with or without migraine) were at the micro level but very significant.

I'm not trying to excuse his behavior. It's more and more like the Attias case at UCSB, from my POV. Parents were hopeful that he had developed adequate coping skills and, by george, I think he did pretty well from that point of view. He was functioning.

However, I think he overshot his targets. There are many times in our lives when we have to admit that although we might be *capable* of a particular thing (graduate school or whatever) it might not be prudent or healthy for us to do it. Staying stable is very important in the care of brain disorders. IMO.

And it's not the pings alone, it's the pings plus the surveillance video that is so damning, especially with the video of him exiting the car at Albertsons. It's too many coincidences. And you can't brush off touch DNA like that either. There has to be a good alternative explanation for why it's there, not just that it's theoretically possible somebody else put it there. It's theoretically possible men from Mars came down and staged the crime to frame him, but that is not reasonable doubt.

Exactly.....you may try to brush one off solely but cumulatively they paint a much different picture.

You could always claim an unknown male stole your car, knife and phone and brought it all back afterwards to frame you but that doesn't mean the jury has to buy it.

Even the "child bearing hips" is in my view possibly a reference to The Office episode to see if she watched that very popular show. I have seen lots of people mimic Dwight Shruit making that statement.

He lived more of less in Scranton, PA anyway... which is the location where The Office emminated.

IMO MOO The white car on video is also very week. They dont have a license plate, they dont have a real eyewitness, they dont have any clear pics of it and they broadcasted that they were looking for a 2011-2013 Elantra and only changed it to a 2015 when they found out BCK had a 2015.

IMO Any good defense attorney can easily create plenty of Reasonable Doubt with all three of these circumstantial pieces of evidence. (Pings, Video & that particular type DNA and what it was found on) again MOO

If BCK is indeed the sole perpetrator of these murders I hope the prosecution has some solid evidence to bring to the table.

They have lots of clear pictures, IMO. They just didn't need to play that hand for the PCA.

They also had his rear plate, IMO (by end of Week 1/beginning of Week 2). They never changed it to 2015 because they never wanted BK to know that they were specifically surveilling him, which they were from a certain point not yet known to us.

Sure, any good defense attorney (and even some not good ones) could punch holes in the PCA (the minimum statement of facts necessary to get an arrest). Yet, a Judge decided it was enough to arrest him. So now, the evidence is going to pile up in a huge mountain, to be excavated in June (or later - I predict it will be rescheduled, there's just too much, this is a case with tons of evidence the public doesn't know about).

I get that bullying is a problem. But many mass shooters were actually the bullies, or their personalities are so off putting that other kids wanted nothing to do with them. Kids do not want to hang out with other kids who they sense could be a danger or unkind to them. I would want my kid to trust their gut. So if a kid is isolated and sitting by himself at lunch, we need to ask why and does this child contribute to his own situation. Take the Uvalde shooter for instance. His own teachers and fellow students were afraid of him. Among other things, he was killing cats and carrying them around in bags. And yet the media put out that he was bullied, when it was quite the opposite. Imo.
I agree. I've seen it a lot where kids who are bullied (at home, neighborhood, school) turn into bullies themselves. I guess I'm a little less fatalistic about it, and that might just be an occupational hazard for me. Where kids are concerned, I have hope that there could be a better outcome. As I said in my post, interventions need to happen at the level of the child first, but also with classmates. I've found it successful in my practice. MOO.

Can someone help me understand his PA lawyer using the word “exonerated” vs saying BK is innocent or not guilty?

Correct me if I am wrong (no background in legal or LE). I thought exoneration is the term used when someone has been wrongfully CONVICTED and is cleared (exonerated).

Keep explanations simple for my simple mind, thank you!
You can be exonerated without ever standing trial or receiving a verdict.

You can claim innocence but there is no such plea. You plead not guilty. And receiving a not guilty verdict is not the same as being “innocent.” It only means that the case wasn’t sufficiently proven.

Yes, but she very much is privy on much of the info the police are privy to. That's how she released a few other things the cops did not release yet that we know now to be true and likely got herself in some hot water imo

Wow. That's intensely dangerous.
Same laws that are in place where I live.

It's in the early part of his Tapatalk postings. He says he had a bad experience on it and it made him do "violent" things. He reports having attacked his father unjustly just a few posts later. He has gone off that by that time.

I assume that it was prescribed for his neurological issue which some people think is akin to a seizure disorder. But, when I was on a similar neuro-drug (I have Trigeminal Neuralgia) it did suppress appetite - it suppressed a lot of things. My brain was considerably slower, but I didn't care. I never really thought about the appetite issue, but yeah, I can see how it might help with weight loss. In my case, when I go into remission, the same meds suddenly give me the craziest side effects. I've been in remission now for 10 years, so no meds for me - but it looks like BK was very much still seeking medical treatment and was moving on to thyroid medications (also, of course, with potential for aiding in weight loss).
Wait, what?? We found Tapatalk postings by BK? How did I miss this?
Would love a link if someone has it

he already said he was shopping
We really don't know that KB has given any reason/excuse for his phone ping locations. This is not reliable information MOO.

From the quoted article:

"Before Kohberger was transferred to Idaho, NewsNation reports the suspected killer told a fellow inmate in Pennsylvania he had been in Idaho around the time of the killings because “the shopping is better.”"

Move to Pullman. I've toyed with the idea he wanted to move far away and start with a clean slate and it went horribly wrong. JMO

I moved 900 miles away when I was 18, for a brief time, just to figure out who I actually was.
With regard to moving to Pullman, looking at it from a strictly practical perspective (not assuming any underlying motives), if he was set on doing a PhD, the process of finding a university accepting new PhD students into a program can be extremely difficult. It's not a case of simply applying and being accepted based on academic merits and an essay, as with a Bachelor's or Master's degree. To enter a PhD program, an applicant must first find a supervisor/advisor who has the capacity to take on a new PhD student and who is willing to work with the applicant over the course of their PhD. Some universities limit the number of PhD students a supervisor can have at one time (in my first job in academia I was limited to supervising four PhD students at a time, for example. Once one graduated, I could add a new one.) The applicant also needs to find a supervisor whose specific research interests/expertise closely match those of the applicant. This can get very granular and it's not a case of both parties simply being interested in criminology - the specific topic within the discipline and the research methods to be used, etc. are very important. Once the applicant finds a supervisor with the capacity and willingness to take them on as a student, they then apply for the PhD program and are usually admitted unless there are some glaring issues with their Bachelor's/Master's transcripts or test scores (not all programs require a test, but many will require something like the GRE or GMAT). On top of that, not all PhD positions are funded and getting a funded spot can be extremely competitive. Since BK was a Teaching Assistant, it seems he did have funding from the university for his tuition and a monthly assistantship stipend, so that could play a large role in deciding to go to WSU as well.

This is all to say that it's a difficult process finding a PhD advisor and program to begin with, let alone finding a school that offers you funding. Therefore, I assume having an available supervisor with the right area of research expertise + funding meant that WSU was probably one of his only choices. US News & World Report lists a total of only 42 university criminology programs in the US in its annual rankings, so there are not a lot of programs to choose from (and I'm not sure that all of those have PhD programs; some might only offer undergrad/master's degrees). To put that number into perspective, the same ranking site lists 493 universities with programs in business, so the number of criminology programs is very limited by comparison.

Disclaimer - I am a university professor who supervises PhD students and also completed a PhD 15 years ago, so I'm writing about this from my own personal experience with the hopes it provides some context into why BK might have chosen to go to WSU instead of staying in PA or in the East. I am not in the field of criminology, though. MOO

I saw it reported that he’d allegedly said this to another inmate while in a PA jail. Can’t confirm. But if it helps in trying to locate that article, that’s where I first saw it mentioned.

Thanks.

When the 28-year-old Ph.D. student was asked why he had been in Moscow – an eight-mile drive from his apartment in Pullman, Washington – he allegedly retorted, "The shopping is better in Idaho."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaJ