ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide - Moscow #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the NY Post, generally not my fave source but within TOS and also this quote feels difficult to factually err on,
Link: Roommates were home when 4 University of Idaho students slaughtered — but called 911 hours later

Key quote:
Following the press conference, an Idaho state police spokesperson told The Post the two roommates were female and are not believed to be suspects. The spokesperson additionally said the pair were uninjured and cooperating with investigators.

The Idaho State Police spokesperson per yesterday’s press conference documentation is Aaron Snell, who is the contact for most of their releases. You can subscribe to those from ISP here, idahostatepoliceidahostatepolice-blogspot-com | Open Legal Blog Archive

I am inclined to believe that quote.
I wish they would have said that at the press conference, because it threw a lot of suspicion on the roommates the way it was worded at the presser.

Ok, I see what you are saying. So the spot on the wall is below what would possibly be a 2nd floor front bedroom, right hand side as you face the house (D-side)

Good gosh that's creepy.

btw, does anyone know if there is a back door to the house (C-side), or is it the 1st floor door in front (A-side), next to where the cars are parked, and the sliding glass door on the side to the right of that (D-side) only?

I've used fireman's parlance for clarity:

7132mn.jpg

Haven't read all the replies yet, but yes.

In your drawing (so glad you made it!), the top rectangle (directly under the "C") needs to be shorter along the right ("D") side. That will then give you the L-shape where the wall with the supposed blood is. (The line that runs between the letters "B" and "D" & runs parallel to the "C" line is the one where the leak is.)

MOO.

I agree, but 4 were slaughtered in that same house while they were "sleeping" and the police say no threat to community.

Ted Bundy, mentioned earlier in this thread multiple times, while in Florida entered a sorority Chi Omega house and attacked four sleeping students. The attack, that left two women dead and two severely beaten (broken jaws, head injuries, misplaced teeth) happened within an earshot of THIRTY people and lasted around fifteen minutes. Nobody heard a peep. So yes, it is entirely possible the two roommates of the victims slept through the attack.

The 911 call that someone was unconscious, when you can imagine that scene, just makes me speculate. The fact they felt there was no threat, at least they said that initially, makes me think they were suspicious of the others.
Well, the police also stated the two surviving roomies are not suspects.

I wonder if some male stalker wanted to come into the house and rape and kill a female and entered the wrong bedroom in the dark then despatched it’s unfortunate occupants. If drinking earlier the deaths could be very quiet, by the time the other person in the room woke up, too late to defend one’s self. Moved on to the next bedroom, found his target, killed the occupants and left quietly. If there was loud music still playing, even better for the killer...the other roommates were out late and didn’t wake up till noon. Immediately call 911. In the confusion thst comes with such events the operator puts down person found is unconscious rsther than not moving. They flee the building. Door is left open either by departing killer or frightened roommates.

Since we have not heard the 911 call, we don’t know where the “unconcious” description came from. i can envision a 911 caller trying to elict information from a terrified student who has just awakened to find this horrific situation in their home. (My daughter was briefly a 911 caller during her college days.)

The caller might ask,”Is she/he alive, unconscious, etc?’ And a person in shock will say…”I don’t know.” We think of all the blood etc..but shock is part of this too. Since it sounds like a reference to only one person, it coukd have been a quick look into one of the girl’s room, not the couple’s.

Shock may account for that description to police.

For now, my guess is that the murders preceded the return of the two who lived in the lowest level. Sleeping to noon after partying all night ona weekend…seems very believable to me.

If LE know the brand/make of knife, the perp more than likely brushed it against something leaving a bloody, identifying impression IMO. IMO a distinct impression might help determine if it was recently purchased or showed evidence of past use.

Graphic post :

Some people have survived getting a cut to the throat, so they'd know how it felt and if they could make a noise or not.
I suppose it depends on where the person was cut and how deep ?

<respectfully snipped by me for focus>
I’ve also been considering alternate scenarios, including whether Ethan may have survived an initial attack, which has happened with other blade and/or bludgeon attacks.

I’m very curious about the phone situation.

MOO. This case has really affected me. What a loss.

Before this grows legs, somebody posted something about an OnlyFans being linked in one of the roommates IG profiles.

NONE OF THE 5 ROOMMATES HAVE AN OF LINKED. The only thing linked on one is a sorority page. And one of the roommates has now deactivated her account. And rightfully so, I cannot imagine the terror and guilt they feel. :( Just FYI.

This sounds like Kaylee was just visiting…no longer goimg to be a full time resident. Interesting, though maybe meaningless…that she comes back this last time, with her dream car…and her Social media post about how lucky she is, posing with the other three victims. Not the survivors…just those three.

Was there someone with a long standing grudge or seething jealousy…that was set off by that post? The night of the murder might have been the last opportunity to indulge those feelings if Kaylee was the target.. The killer might have been drinking/drugging all night and spurred on to murderous action.
There’s a lot of inaccurate information on this post. Not coming at you personally, just trying to keep things as factual as possible.

Kaylee was still a resident at the home and a student at the University of Idaho. She went home for a little bit, from what I understand, to make arrangements for her upcoming move, starting a new job and graduating. Apparently she also bought a car on that occasion and drove back to Moscow. She was graduating in December, so I assume she most likely still has finals, papers, and classes.

The last pictures Kaylee posted on her Instagram account not only included the victims: Kaylee, Madison, Xana and Ethan, but also the surviving roommates.

Anyways, where is Madison’s family? Because nobody else other than Kaylee’s sister has spoken on her behalf and it sounds like the Gonçalves family is making funeral arrangements for both Kaylee and Madison.

At this time the roommates are not suspects and honestly should be treated as victims. As a former college student living with lots of people, it makes complete sense to me that if the perp entered on 2nd floor through the sliding glass he would have totally skipped the 1st floor of rooms.

The girls are very lucky they did not wake up, as my guess is that Ethan woke up and checked to see what was going on and was then harmed due to being a potential witness.

My theory is the perp entered through the sliding glass & went to the third floor to find the two girls. What he then did might not have made much noise if it was quick or they were sleeping. If it did make noise Ethan and Xana on the second floor might have heard but maybe not the 1st floor.

I think he the perp went downstairs and was seen by Ethan and he then hurt Ethan and Xana and left.

The girls likely slept until noonish, used their bathroom downstairs and scrolled social media. No reason to even go to second floor.

It’s already been stated by Ethan’s parents none of the roommates called 911. Someone else did. Likely a friend just randomly coming over and discovered the scene or it could have been someone sleeping over with the roommates going up to the kitchen.

I don’t put a lot of stock into the person calling 911 only saying they are unconscious. I’m sure they saw Ethan and called 911 panicked saying something like “omg I just found my friend on the floor. Omg help. I don’t know what happened there is blood”

And then the operator probably said “are they unconscious” and they probably said “yes” and the operator relayed “unconscious male” to the police.

All IMO but I hope websleuths as the wonderful community it is can stop putting the girl roommates in a negative light. They are victims until someone says otherwise. My heart is with them.

All in my own opinion of course.

Just a thought. Something else that needs to be considered, is perhaps the killer(s) went to the wrong house. Is there a drug dealer/user, living nearby, in a house that looks similar?

I remember a case, from 40 years ago, where three young people were killed, in Waco, Texas. A female had rejected a males advances. He hired a guy to kill her. The killer killed the wrong girl and two of her friends. Apparently the victim looked a whole lot like the girl that rejected the man that hired the killer. That case went unsolved for I think it was two or three years.

That particular case was referred to as the Lake Waco Murders. A book entitled Careless Whispers was written about it.

I would assume that the victims were asleep? For one person to stab and kill 4 college students wouldn't be an easy task without resistance or one being able to flee or scream for help.

There’s a lot of inaccurate information on this post. Not coming at you personally, just trying to keep things as factual as possible.

Kaylee was still a resident at the home and a student at the University of Idaho. She went home for a little bit, from what I understand, to make arrangements for her upcoming move, starting a new job and graduating. Apparently she also bought a car on that occasion and drove back to Moscow. She was graduating in December, so I assume she most likely still has finals, papers, and classes.

The last pictures Kaylee posted on her Instagram account not only included the victims: Kaylee, Madison, Xana and Ethan, but also the surviving roommates.

Anyways, where is Madison’s family? Because nobody else other than Kaylee’s sister has spoken on her behalf and it sounds like the Gonçalves family is making funeral arrangements for both Kaylee and Madison.
Thank you for the correction. You absolutely right on all points…especially last Insta post. But one interview with family did say she had been home prior to this and gave me this ‘last weekend’ impression. I will try to find it. But still appreciate the correction.

It is this comment from the sister of Kaylee:
‘Kaylee's family says she was set to graduate in December. She had a job all lined up and was excited for the holidays with her family. She had spent the days before this at their home and was set to move back for a few weeks on Tuesday. Her weekend trip to Moscow was supposed to be brief to show her roommates the vehicle she had just purchased.’

I took that to mean her stay was brief and she was going home again after the weekend. Iftrue, that could be significant.

Last edited:
If LE know the brand/make of knife, the perp more than likely brushed it against something leaving a bloody, identifying impression IMO. IMO a distinct impression might help determine if it was recently purchased or showed evidence of past use.
Another poster suggested maybe the sheath of the knife was recovered.

This sounds like Kaylee was just visiting…no longer goimg to be a full time resident. Interesting, though maybe meaningless…that she comes back this last time, with her dream car…and her Social media post about how lucky she is, posing with the other three victims. Not the survivors…just those three.

Was there someone with a long standing grudge or seething jealousy…that was set off by that post? The night of the murder might have been the last opportunity to indulge those feelings if Kaylee was the target.. The killer might have been drinking/drugging all night and spurred on to murderous action.
You’re referring to a cropped version of Kaylee’s group photo. All five roommates plus Ethan were in one of the group photos she posted on IG on Saturday. Some news outlets cropped out the surviving roommates who flanked the four who were killed. Kaylee also posted a photo of herself the previous evening with one of the roommates who was not killed the following evening (meaning posted a photo with a roommate on Friday evening and posted a photo with all roommates on Saturday).

There are probably plenty of victims in the past who were awake, upright, sober and alert who were not able to fend off an attacker or scream for help. I don't think it's impossible to at least consider 4 sleeping victims also being unable to fend off an attacker or have a chance to scream or make any noise.
A very brazen crime though- 4 victims and a house full of people. Such a senseless act, but I am still very curious to learn the motive behind this. And the circumstances surrounding the 911 call(er)

As a quick exercise, who would have combative training using edged weapons?

Current / former military, including reserves? All branches or just Marines and Army Infantry, MP's, any SOCOM community?

Law Enforcement, possibly security guards with some prior experience?

Anyone trained in martial arts? Which ones?

Anyone familiar with dispatching larger animals?

Any athlete like a wrestler, or boxer used to physical conflict? Less so a football player like a lineman or defensive back, used to taking people down?

Where I'm sort of going with this is could this be the work of a relative or complete novice (to using knives in anger or work) or would it more likely be someone with prior training. If the latter, would it necessarily be offensive training or does defensive training against knives teach them what they would need to know?

Or could it be someone hopped up on (pick a drug?) that was purely driven by some kind of rage? (Jealousy? Rebuffed? Disrespected somehow? Roid rage?)

I can't see some random burglar trying open doors and then suddenly deciding to commit mass murder. The initial "crime of passion" description by authorities makes sense, even if they tempered it later. Four people seems to go beyond, unless two or three were just at the wrong place / wrong time.

Ethan seemed like a relatively larger guy (6 footish from pics? Just a guess since he was so much taller than his gf, and appeared to be in good physical shape. He was 20, wasn't he? Attacker may have had surprise, but still size is hard to overcome. Maybe attacker was at least medium height male? And experienced enough with knives to take down a healthy 20 y/o male without causing a major commotion? Ethan was the one seen through the sliding glass door, wasn't the? So he wasn't dispatched in his sleep?

All MOO, just going over some things I was thinking about overnight. This case is so sad, 4 nice kids with their lives ahead of them. Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble, need morning coffee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member