ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide - Moscow #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still catching up but wanted to park my thoughts :
JUST MY OPINION.
I am not sure I completely buy the Targeted theory, I think it is possible perp just didn't finish what he/she was doing.
I think statements were made too early in this case and I understand the feelings of families that things are not moving as quickly as they hope.
I agree with those that people should perceive a risk to safety is out there.
I think entry was gained through an unlocked door or even a window I can tell you even in cold I sleep with a window cracked I just like the crisp fresh air and I hate heaters.
Questions I have that make little sense lol, was there a fire pit outside, I could see them enjoying that area off the kitchen by a fire pit and maybe being in and out and not realizing the door was ajar or unlocked.
I think as details emerge, much more will fall into place.
Regarding the victims being targeted, I think “targeted” can mean a number of things, some of which introduce more risk to the community than others.

For example, someone might target an individual person like an ex or a supervisor or a celebrity or public figure. Someone might target a couple people or a small group such as an ex and their new partner or their spouse and their kids or their classmates. Someone might target all those they’ve ever felt slighted by or hold grudges against (can be few or many). Someone might target what they perceive to be certain types or classes of people like “Staceys and Chads” or “sorority girls” (Elliot Rodgers type). Of course violent crimes against people of specific races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations and gender identities are sometimes targeted. The broader these categories get, the less comfortable I’d feel with the assertion that the community at large is not as risk.

Unless police believe it was targeted in a very narrow way, such as a disgruntled ex targeting an individual or a couple, I would feel very fearful in that community. And even if narrowly targeted, it’s scary enough to know someone capable of that degree of violence may be within the community.

Good morning all! I've been thinking of this case nonstop since the press conference yesterday and have some thoughts.

The two other people who were unharmed in the house were more than likely the two other female roommates who you see pictured with the victims clearly in many social media pictures. I have a really hard time believing that one of both of these 20ish year old girls committed these murders and then remained in the house. I read in an article yesterday (can't recall which one but will look for it) that the majority of the blood was in the "upper levels" of the 3 story house. I've looked at the Zillow listing for the home (1122 King Rd, Moscow, ID 83843 | Zillow) which notes that it is a 6 bed/3 bath home with 2 beds and 1 bath on each level. Based on the listing photos and some of Kaylee's Tiktoks, it seems like you enter the home and immediately walk upstairs to reach the main living area and kitchen, but there are still two bedrooms on the lower level. I have to think that the roommates were asleep in these rooms and the killer bypassed those rooms to head straight upstairs. This may have been why they were spared.

It's been reported that Ethan was found "on the floor on the second level". My theory is that one of the living roommates woke up, headed upstairs to the main living room, saw Ethan on the floor and panicked without knowing whether or not he was alive, called 911 which is where the "unconscious person" report came from. It's likely that the two other roommates didn't even know the fates of Kaylee, Maddie, and Xana until the police arrived and found them.

What do you all think of this theory?
It’s been reported by Ethan‘s mom that a friend who DOES NOT live in the house discovered the victims.

Sleeping till noon on a Sunday is not uncommon after a late night. Many college kids sleep with their AirPods in too. Not a stretch at all for 2 on a different floor to sleep through it all and not come upstairs until noon, especially since they had their own bathroom on main level.
From Zillow
“Ideal set up for roommates with 2 beds / 1 bath on each level”

LE has stated they think it was a targeted attack and they are focusing on everybody that may be coming and going from that residence.

I'm very curious about the linked account mentioned in the press conference. Snipped below from the transcription @Allabouttrial posted for us.

Reporter - Chief, have you looked into the social media accounts of all the different victims? And we understand that one may have had an account linked to her instagram account. Have you looked into those accounts? Have you seen any sort of threats made to any of the individuals?

Chief - So, we are looking at all resources. We've got the likes of the Federal Bureau of Investigation helping us. We got our detectives, our forensic detectives, looking into that. We're trying to pull this whole picture... we're looking at everything that we can look at, social media etc. So, to answer your question, yes, we are.

my concern is , even if this was a direct attack on these 4 or 1 of them etc, how desperate does a person get after committing such a heinous crime , how paranoid, how much more dangerous could they become after , no matter what I think this person could absolutely be a risk to others at this point.

sorry for another post, but wondering could the first floor originally have been some sort of garage/ basement area that had thicker walls, more sound proofing etc? and if the two at home were down there, maybe less likely to hear the noise? especially if the attacks occurred on the 3rd floor?

MOO I wonder if the murderer was homophobic? Not saying the victims were LGBTQ but could the murderer perceived them that way due to the pics that were posted? MOO
The pictures are normal college girl pictures. I have a very straight daughter in her last year at college and all her pics and her friends look like this. All sorority pics are similar. Close friends, no space at all. Big hugs and even kisses are normal. A young perp would not think LGBTQ because he would be familiar with social media. An older one without Instagram, possibly.

Last edited:
was someone new going to move in to replace kaylee’s part of the rent when she moved and graduated in december?
Don't know the answer to that, but having gone to college there myself, rentals were in short supply. You took what you could get and hoped you had the roommates to fill the spots. Leases typically ran from June to May and most students went elsewhere for the summer, i.e., you rented a place that you weren't even occupying for 2-3 months of the year to ensure you had a place. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining roommates would absorb that cost. Or if Kaylee had planned on continuing to pay despite not being there.

It’s been reported by Ethan‘s mom that a friend who DOES NOT live in the house discovered the victims.

Interesting, had not heard this! I still feel like it's very unlikely that the housemates were involved. They would be sadly covered in blood with likely many cuts on their hands.

I truly feel for these young adults and can't imagine the trauma they'll carry with them from this event. A close friend of mine died suddenly in college from an unknown heart condition and it still pains me greatly 15 years later. I cannot imagine losing multiple friends in this way, especially in the home you shared while you were potentially present yet unaware.

I was trying to stay on top of this thread, and then resorted to trying to catch up with this thread...to no avail. Personal life intervened and I have no hope of catching up. So please cut me some slack if this has already been covered.

My observations after watching the presser included:
- the other people in the house. It's not clear to me that this was 2 single women in the other 2 bedrooms. It might have been one other roommate who had a romantic partner staying over.
- where was the dog? There has been absolutely no mention of Murphy and whether he was found at the house. Is he alive?
- LE will not divulge where the victims were found. We've heard through media that they were found on the 2nd and 3rd level. I'm presuming that the 2 (or 2+) surviving residents were on the ground floor. [did the murderer enter through the sliding door on the next level up? Did they enter via the keypad on the ground floor and work their way upstairs?]
- was there one attacker or more than one? The City police chief implied there was just one perpetrator. They are still waiting on the autopsy reports. But they cannot confirm if there was just one knife used in the attack.
- 'no forced entry'. - this doesn't mean much as the perp may have already been in the house or may have had the key code, or may have been let in by a resident of the house.

So many things to ponder.
I’ve also been wondering about Murphy. He would have barked if he was alive during the attacks. I really hope he is okay.

Huddled close together not only for warmth but for support on Wednesday evening, twentysomethings with tears in their eyes took a microphone to remember the four close friends killed near the University of Idaho over the weekend.
….
“Everyone who was friends with one of them was friends with all the others,” Bartkowiak said.
…..

Goncalves’ father, Steve Goncalves, said in a statement Wednesday that the perpetrator “needs to be punished and held responsible.”
A memorial for Ethan Chapin will be 4 p.m. Monday at McIntyre Hall in Mount Vernon, according to an obituary. The family asked attendees to “Please wear blue, it was Ethan’s triplet color.”

Hi! I just wanted to add that my son is in a frat at UT Knoxville, and I could definitely see him sleeping through something...especially after a gameday party or a formal.

I have seen on other websites people questioning how that is possible, but most kids, after living in dorms for one year and frat or sorority houses for a year, will move in a big house with a bunch of people. My son's house is big like this and he often has his door shut along with the other guys.

Given the tight WS rules on verbiage, why does the title of this thread read “Died in Apparent Homicide”? The word apparent seems to potentially conflict with TOS (in that if not homicide, the only option would be that it was M/S, which it absolutely was not).

Should the thread title be amended to murdered?

LE has stated they think it was a targeted attack and they are focusing on everybody that may be coming and going from that residence.

I'm very curious about the linked account mentioned in the press conference. Snipped below from the transcription @Allabouttrial posted for us.

Reporter - Chief, have you looked into the social media accounts of all the different victims? And we understand that one may have had an account linked to her instagram account. Have you looked into those accounts? Have you seen any sort of threats made to any of the individuals?

Chief - So, we are looking at all resources. We've got the likes of the Federal Bureau of Investigation helping us. We got our detectives, our forensic detectives, looking into that. We're trying to pull this whole picture... we're looking at everything that we can look at, social media etc. So, to answer your question, yes, we are.
I’m pretty interested in this as well. I’ve been directed by mods not to discuss details. But I think I know what the reporter was discussing. I fully expect that all powers of the FBI will be finding all digital forensic evidence from the victims, and roommates. I imagine that is some of the search warrants that would have gone out. They‘ll find this info if it exists. Phones, laptops, routers, apps, etc. will all hold loads of info. IMHO.

Huddled close together not only for warmth but for support on Wednesday evening, twentysomethings with tears in their eyes took a microphone to remember the four close friends killed near the University of Idaho over the weekend.
….
“Everyone who was friends with one of them was friends with all the others,” Bartkowiak said.
…..

Goncalves’ father, Steve Goncalves, said in a statement Wednesday that the perpetrator “needs to be punished and held responsible.”
A memorial for Ethan Chapin will be 4 p.m. Monday at McIntyre Hall in Mount Vernon, according to an obituary. The family asked attendees to “Please wear blue, it was Ethan’s triplet color.”
So sad, these young people had their whole lives ahead of them. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member