ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide - Moscow #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw | Latah County Coroner says all four students killed near University of Idaho were victims -- KREM 2 News​

11/16/22​

Sad scene, lots of blood. All four ruled homicide, tox reports will probably not be important to COD. This Coroner doesn't do the autopsies. Wouldn't answer if the victims were in close proximity or in separate rooms.

As a quick exercise, who would have combative training using edged weapons?

Current / former military, including reserves? All branches or just Marines and Army Infantry, MP's, any SOCOM community?

Law Enforcement, possibly security guards with some prior experience?

Anyone trained in martial arts? Which ones?

Anyone familiar with dispatching larger animals?

Any athlete like a wrestler, or boxer used to physical conflict? Less so a football player like a lineman or defensive back, used to taking people down?

Where I'm sort of going with this is could this be the work of a relative or complete novice (to using knives in anger or work) or would it more likely be someone with prior training. If the latter, would it necessarily be offensive training or does defensive training against knives teach them what they would need to know?

Or could it be someone hopped up on (pick a drug?) that was purely driven by some kind of rage? (Jealousy? Rebuffed? Disrespected somehow? Roid rage?)

I can't see some random burglar trying open doors and then suddenly deciding to commit mass murder. The initial "crime of passion" description by authorities makes sense, even if they tempered it later. Four people seems to go beyond, unless two or three were just at the wrong place / wrong time.

Ethan seemed like a relatively larger guy (6 footish from pics? Just a guess since he was so much taller than his gf, and appeared to be in good physical shape. He was 20, wasn't he? Attacker may have had surprise, but still size is hard to overcome. Maybe attacker was at least medium height male? And experienced enough with knives to take down a healthy 20 y/o male without causing a major commotion? Ethan was the one seen through the sliding glass door, wasn't the? So he wasn't dispatched in his sleep?

All MOO, just going over some things I was thinking about overnight. This case is so sad, 4 nice kids with their lives ahead of them. Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble, need morning coffee.
One point to add.... May have threatened with a knife previously.

I’ve also been wondering about Murphy. He would have barked if he was alive during the attacks. I really hope he is okay.
My pure speculation is that the dog was at her parents house. Per all the articles posted - Kaylee was just back for the weekend to show off her new car - she was graduating and moving on

I
how long after an autopsy is done are the results released to the public usually? will the autopsy offer us any insight?
would imagine, it could provide time of death, what order they were murdered in and even the exact edge of the knife that killed, if there were defensive wounds if they were killed in their sleep or ? Not sure how much they would release, as they are keeping it private, hopefully to find the perp.

My pure speculation is that the dog was at her parents house. Per all the articles posted - Kaylee was just back for the weekend to show off her new car - she was graduating and moving on
I would think this too, but in an interview kaylees sister said they got home and let the dog out which leads me to believe murphy was there :(

They’re college kids. It’s possible the two roommates at home were in the basement, a garage, or even a laundry room away from where the murderer thought to look.

I live about an hour and a half from the campus. The local news is reporting police want to talk to anyone who was seen in a security video of the girls downtown. A local news reporter indicated a person of interest os seen near the girls in the video but hanging back, and appears to follow them when they leave.

There was also a campus security alert (called a “vandal alert”) about someone making threats with a knife. That person was subsequently identified.
Do you have a link?

7:57 PM PST November 16, 2022

When police arrived on scene for a wellness check, officers found four victims and other people who were not hurt. Officers say there were no signs of forced entry into the residence. When police arrived, the door was still open.

Police are still saying that this was an isolated, targeted attack. The suspect is still on the loose. They also can't say there's no threat to the community. There was no attempt at robbery. Officers did not reveal who the 911 caller was.

Moscow Police don't know an accurate timeline of where the victims were before their deaths. The location of the weapon at this time is unknown.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Moscow Police at 208-883-7054.

The University of Idaho said a vigil for the students, which was scheduled for Wednesday night, was rescheduled for Nov. 30.

Amanda Roley
@KREMAmandaRoley

BREAKING: I just confirmed the Spokane Co. Medical Examiner has completed the autopsies on the 4 UI students. She just sent the report and recommendations to the Latah Co. Coroner 30min ago. Latah Co. will be the one to make the official ruling.
@KREM2
#UniversityofIdaho

7:46 PM · Nov 16, 2022 from Pullman, WA
I hope and pray the the ME was able to obtain the DNA of the attacker from under the fingernail of one or more of the victims.

I do not think it's weird the two girls were home and didn't know - creepy and unfortunate, yes, but weird no. That was a college kid's house, they probably were passed out in their bedrooms from drinking Sat all night, and did not wake up until noon. My guess is that someone came up to the house and saw Ethan laying on the floor and called 911. The girls downstairs were probably just waking up at that time or maybe they were awakened by the commotion of the police entering the house. I can picture a college house like that from when I was in school. A big house, with multiple floors and many Sundays where I didn't wake up until kickoff for the NFL. All MOO, but I'm guessing the girls were lucky because the killer didn't even think to go downstairs. IMO those girls had zero to do with this. I'm more interested in the people in the food truck video - particularly one person.

Thanks for the information. Going off on a limb....

As noted, the knife was made famous in WWII as a fighting knife.

I don't think its a knife that most hunters would use. It is large, adds weight and the blade is bigger than needed. Hunters usually view knives as tools (some brands of tools can be costly), but they are not prone to carry over kill knives "because I can" style.

Rather, I think a Kabar would be owned by either:

A- A knife nut who is interested in knives in general and buys a variety of knives. Some maybe be modern, others maybe historical (Kabar, Bowie, Gurkha, etc). The vast majority of certified knife nuts are harmless.

B- A macho, Alpha male type who purchased it because it simply because looks mega cool and is associated with the Marines.

Though some As and Bs may overlap, a "Kabar Kabar" would probably have to of been purchased on line or from a knife catalog such as SMKW. Local stores would probably stock hunting knive and pocket knives. Likewise, the "Kabars" that I have seen in pawn shops were all knock offs and not really Kabars.

Last edited:
Yay -- a voice of reason!!

IMO, the isolated streaks down the excavated, above-grade masonry foundation wall are most likely from iron ore and/or copper and the visible, piping just below the siding.

The same interior masonry wall of a heated basement might very well look like the image below and I promise it's not blood oozing from the walls a la Daily Mail:
View attachment 380395

View attachment 380396

I think those pictures look totally different. Top photo looks like water drips with high iron content, bottom photo looks like thicker blood consistency IMO

IMO the rumors of the 2 unharmed roommates living on the 3rd floor are inaccurate. We can see in this link from Kaylee’s TikTok that her room was likely the biggest room on the 3rd floor. kayjade on TikTok

The flooring and location of the floor vent is confirmed by the listing photo attached. (ETA: keep in mind the room would be reflected opposite in a video recording. You can see that her vanity/desk (behind her in TikTok video) is set up in the recessed area shown to the right in the listing photo below) She also had the good vibes sign (seen on Kaylee’s IG account) that can be seen in the second attached photo from Fox News that shows the middle floor and top floor view from the backyard and confirming that Kaylee’s room had the balcony (which is also seen briefly in the TikTok video).

I then *assume* since Maddie and Kaylee were besties that it’s likely Maddie was also on 3rd floor since they knew each other best although that is pure speculation on my part, but goes along with what was reported that the upper floors were worst.

ETA extra comments in parentheses for better detail and clarification.

Attachments

• BF342ED7-6B1C-4B80-ABA6-BD182AF9D4F0.jpeg
    BF342ED7-6B1C-4B80-ABA6-BD182AF9D4F0.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 201122CB-D826-4E28-A645-F1DB9729A7E4.jpeg
    201122CB-D826-4E28-A645-F1DB9729A7E4.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I’ve also been wondering about Murphy. He would have barked if he was alive during the attacks. I really hope he is okay.
Whose dog was Murphy? Was he Kaylee’s?

Because if I am interpreting her sister’s comment correctly, and she had lived at home for ”days before”and was moving back to home on Tuesday…then this was indeed a ‘brief’ visit. The dog may be at home already with family.

If this was somehow targeted against Kaylee…this visit might have been a last opportunity for the killer.

‘Kaylee's family says she was set to graduate in December. She had a job all lined up and was excited for the holidays with her family. She had spent the days before this at their home and was set to move back for a few weeks on Tuesday. Her weekend trip to Moscow was supposed to be brief to show her roommates the vehicle she had just purchased.’

I took that to mean her stay was brief and she was going home again after the weekend. Iftrue, that could be significant.

'We will find you...I won't stop'. Family of Moscow homicide victim pleading for witnesses to come forward

MOSCOW, Idaho -- The search for a killer continues on the Palouse as four families anxiously await any updates . The bodies of U of I students Madison Mogen (21),
www.khq.com
www.khq.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members