ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide - Moscow #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! Somebody said it. I keep reading these comments and thinking “did none of these people go to college?!”

College students regularly stay up late partying on the weekends and then sleep in. Not only were all the roommates sleeping, but many were probably intoxicated as well. It’s not unfathomable that the killer was able to kill each one in their sleep without anyone waking up. It sounds like he was very efficient which makes me wonder if this was premeditated and he researched how to do it.

Definitely agree. I know more than a few people who chose their class schedules so they could sleep in longer/stay up later at night/juggle a late-night job too. (Many of the posts seem to be by both morning people & extroverts. Imo.) I think many students work hard, play hard, & sleep hard. (Plus, noise-cancelling headphones are a common thing.)

MOO.

I’ve also been considering alternate scenarios, including whether Ethan may have survived an initial attack, which has happened with other blade and/or bludgeon attacks.

I’m very curious about the phone situation.

MOO. This case has really affected me. What a loss.

My doctor actually survived having her throat slit by her husband thanks to the freezing cold temperatures (you can Google Dr John Baksh for reference), granted none of the victims here were left outside but maybe if a door was open and it was cold enough it definitely could of had an impact on whether one of them may have been able to survive or move through the property? So many things we just don’t know yet know and such an awful end to such young lives

Definitely agree. I know more than a few people who chose their class schedules so they could sleep in longer/stay up later at night/juggle a late-night job too. (Many of the posts seem to be by both morning people & extroverts. Imo.) I think many students work hard, play hard, & sleep hard. (Plus, noise-cancelling headphones are a common thing.)

MOO.
Agreed. When I was in college and law school, I thought an 8:30am class was OBSCENE. During the week I stayed up late into the night (1am, 2am) studying and on the weekends partying. I thought it was normal since everyone did it! Now I am up at 5am everyday for work and family responsibilities and that kind of life seems so far in the past! But I would not think it weird at all if everyone was still sleeping at noon on a Sunday.

As a quick exercise, who would have combative training using edged weapons?

Current / former military, including reserves? All branches or just Marines and Army Infantry, MP's, any SOCOM community?

Law Enforcement, possibly security guards with some prior experience?

Anyone trained in martial arts? Which ones?
I don't think the perp necessarily had to have combat training. In 2015, two teenagers in Oklahoma (the Bever brothers) stabbed five family members to death, and they had no previous combat training.

Could it be possible that a friend other than the 2 roommates stopped by and with door open, walked in saw EC, panicked and ran out to call 911?

Maybe the roommates didn't know anything until cops arrived and cleared the house.

MOO
Obviously don’t know what happened in this particular case but I can absolutely imagine it happening as you’ve suggested. 911 caller might not have been able to provide detailed information due to lack of proximity and interaction with the victim, either due to entering and then retreating out of fear (understandable!) or perhaps observing a victim through a glass door or window. If the operator asked for vitals and the caller had no information other than the victim not moving and/or not responsive to knocking or voice commands from afar and/or bloody, operator would not have been able to identify whether unconscious, unresponsive or deceased.

Are you sure she didn’t post any pictures with the survivors? There were multiple photos with multiple people on her post.

Someone else asked why she was moving back home - it’s because she was supposed to graduate in December.
She did, the pics got cropped by the media. That's how stupid rumors are created...

One neighbor said there was a lot of noise coming from the house on Saturday evening prior to the attack.”

IMO … it might be a neighbor!
… The real estate pictures show a house very close on the right and what appears to be apartments on the left.
… I’m sure that most of us have laid in bed unable to sleep due to a party.
… Imagine a nut-job neighbor who FINALLY got to sleep when they went for food, only to be woken up again when they returned.

Last edited:
Good morning all! I've been thinking of this case nonstop since the press conference yesterday and have some thoughts.

The two other people who were unharmed in the house were more than likely the two other female roommates who you see pictured with the victims clearly in many social media pictures. I have a really hard time believing that one of both of these 20ish year old girls committed these murders and then remained in the house. I read in an article yesterday (can't recall which one but will look for it) that the majority of the blood was in the "upper levels" of the 3 story house. I've looked at the Zillow listing for the home (1122 King Rd, Moscow, ID 83843 | Zillow) which notes that it is a 6 bed/3 bath home with 2 beds and 1 bath on each level. Based on the listing photos and some of Kaylee's Tiktoks, it seems like you enter the home and immediately walk upstairs to reach the main living area and kitchen, but there are still two bedrooms on the lower level. I have to think that the roommates were asleep in these rooms and the killer bypassed those rooms to head straight upstairs. This may have been why they were spared.

It's been reported that Ethan was found "on the floor on the second level". My theory is that one of the living roommates woke up, headed upstairs to the main living room, saw Ethan on the floor and panicked without knowing whether or not he was alive, called 911 which is where the "unconscious person" report came from. It's likely that the two other roommates didn't even know the fates of Kaylee, Maddie, and Xana until the police arrived and found them.

What do you all think of this theory?

Still catching up but wanted to park my thoughts :
JUST MY OPINION.
I am not sure I completely buy the Targeted theory, I think it is possible perp just didn't finish what he/she was doing.
I think statements were made too early in this case and I understand the feelings of families that things are not moving as quickly as they hope.
I agree with those that people should perceive a risk to safety is out there.
I think entry was gained through an unlocked door or even a window I can tell you even in cold I sleep with a window cracked I just like the crisp fresh air and I hate heaters.
Questions I have that make little sense lol, was there a fire pit outside, I could see them enjoying that area off the kitchen by a fire pit and maybe being in and out and not realizing the door was ajar or unlocked.
I think as details emerge, much more will fall into place.

I’m leaning more toward not personal, just someone wanting a thrill kill. Especially with the news saying combat type knife was possibly used.

People have mentioned Ted Bundy and his Chi Omega sorority killings and the similarities are chilling; even the time of the attack. I wonder if it’s a copy cat?

Also reminds me of the Schmidt family shooting/stabbings, a family attacked early while sleeping.

Police should have plenty of footprints (in blood, sadly) to determine the number of offenders, Moo.

I don't know if it is worth revealing information so early in an investigation. If they have a specific shoe size, make and model, that would certainly narrow the focus (at the risk of compromising the killer's potentially incriminating evidence.) Tough balancing act for the police.

Moo.

Hope they snag every camera footage from Moscow to Pullman and beyond. Some video cameras overwrite memory storage pretty quickly, 7 days seems to be a practical limit to get everything. They are gonna need a lot of help. Same for every Ring camera within what, a mile of the scene?

We're I the college president, I might append his note with a request for every student and faculty to jot down anything that seemed odd in the days up to and after the crime. Not to flood the police with anything and everything, but just to make personal notes of anything that seemed out of the ordinary. Maybe a single page's worth. While memories are fresh. Heaven forbid the case goes cold, but if it does, all those bits and pieces might have a clue. JMO.
Well stated, this is why I thought the initial news presser from LE should have been the afternoon of crime, a very simple "check your ring cameras", check all cameras within the radius, if you saw something, say something, first presser yesterday seems late with certain cameras dependent on storage capacity. AMOO

I am not sure if many watched this interview. But the Latah County prosecutor was asked if the roommates were persons of interest. He replied with “Anyone that might have knowledge of this is a person of interest”.

I think it’s fair to say based on his statement that the roommates may be persons of interest, but not labeled suspects at this time.

He went on to discuss how investigators are trying to work hard to try and interview anyone who might have information.

When asked he acknowledged that two people could be responsible for the attack as well.

IMHO I don’t think we can say roommates have been cleared. In fact, I wonder if they have been interviewed.

Latah County prosecuting attorney Bill Thompson addresses the status of the police investigation into the University of Idaho murder case. He says the suspect is still at large, asserts that the crime was likely a targeted attack and explains that while police know who made the 911 call they are still trying to figure out why there was such a delay in contacting authorities.

MOO.
Very true. When I was a college aged kid my friends and I could easily sleep til noon, especially after a night out. I am also a heavy sleeper and wear ear plugs on top of that. It’s not far-fetched in my mind that the roommates didn’t hear anything. I’ve slept through a fire alarm before!

Good morning all! I've been thinking of this case nonstop since the press conference yesterday and have some thoughts.

The two other people who were unharmed in the house were more than likely the two other female roommates who you see pictured with the victims clearly in many social media pictures. I have a really hard time believing that one of both of these 20ish year old girls committed these murders and then remained in the house. I read in an article yesterday (can't recall which one but will look for it) that the majority of the blood was in the "upper levels" of the 3 story house. I've looked at the Zillow listing for the home (1122 King Rd, Moscow, ID 83843 | Zillow) which notes that it is a 6 bed/3 bath home with 2 beds and 1 bath on each level. Based on the listing photos and some of Kaylee's Tiktoks, it seems like you enter the home and immediately walk upstairs to reach the main living area and kitchen, but there are still two bedrooms on the lower level. I have to think that the roommates were asleep in these rooms and the killer bypassed those rooms to head straight upstairs. This may have been why they were spared.

It's been reported that Ethan was found "on the floor on the second level". My theory is that one of the living roommates woke up, headed upstairs to the main living room, saw Ethan on the floor and panicked without knowing whether or not he was alive, called 911 which is where the "unconscious person" report came from. It's likely that the two other roommates didn't even know the fates of Kaylee, Maddie, and Xana until the police arrived and found them.

What do you all think of this theory?
It is possible the two unharmed "housemates" may have had their doors locked and were not harmed. Or they were not the targets. I am sure the 911 caller probably said more than there was "an unconscious" person. The police most certainly censored what was released from this 911 call and the caller probably said there was a large amount of blood (which the police did not want released). The 911 caller probably found one victim and immediately called 911 and wasn't aware of the other victims. The dispatcher probably told the caller to get away from the scene so as not to contaminate the crime scene and they probably returned to their apartment.

It makes the most sense to me that the survivors were on the top floor. Noise underneath is a lot quieter than noise up above. Either that, or they got home after it happened and went straight to their rooms and fell asleep.

They absolutely are victims and I wish people would stop trying to blame them. It’s not likely that they would do this and then go to their rooms and go to sleep afterwards. If they had done it, it’s more plausible that they would have ran away afterwards or called the cops right away.

Another thing that is interesting or telling is that for now they are just asking for information to help the timeline from the night before. What does that imply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper