ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have that feeling, doesn't make sense. Plus, their son was home for thanksgiving following the murders, as I understand. I wonder if they noticed he was out of character or had injuries and then when the "look out for a white Elantra" was put out they may have been like "Oh %$#*."
He went back for Thanksgiving, too? What’s the source? I hadn’t heard that.

I could be reading this wrong but -- I think under Pennsylvania law, a state (Idaho, for example) can only successfully extradite someone if that state (Idaho) either (1) alleges/proves that the person was in that state (Idaho) when the crime was committed; or (2) alleges that the person was in Pennsylvania or another third state and did something intentional to cause the crime in Idaho. Here, it seems Idaho is going with the first option, and maybe the public defender is conceding that BK was in Idaho at the time of the offense??? JMO.

2010 Pennsylvania Code Title 42 - JUDICIARY AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURE
Chapter 91 - Detainers and Extradition 9124 - Form of demand. 2010 Pennsylvania Code :: Title 42 - JUDICIARY AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURE :: Chapter 91 - Detainers and Extradition :: :: 9124 - Form of demand.

2010 Pennsylvania Code Title 42 - JUDICIARY AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURE
Chapter 91 - Detainers and Extradition9127 - Extradition of persons not present in demanding state at time of commission of crime 2010 Pennsylvania Code :: Title 42 - JUDICIARY AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURE :: Chapter 91 - Detainers and Extradition :: :: 9127 - Extradition of persons not present in demanding state at time of commission of crime.
1. That the person is who the state says they are
2. That he is charged with a crime of treason, felony or other crime
3. That he feld from the jurisdiction where the crime occurred to the other state
4. That the executive authority of the state certifies the facts and the request

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2 of the US Constitution

Can I ask why?
I’m not really sure. Just a general feeling I have based on everything I’ve seen, read, etc. I think the strong public social media presence is one reason. And the outgoing personality that could have been mistaken by eager young men as something more than friendliness. Add all that to some of SG’s comments and that’s all I have. Strong gut feeling more than anything else, but I could be totally wrong. Hopefully we will know more in the next week or two!

There's a rubric in literature on survival in difficult circumstances (say, being lost in the wilderness) that seems to apply here. And that's that two heads are always better than one.

Even highly experienced individuals, such as lifelong outdoorsmen, make errors that they never would have made if they'd had a conversation with another experienced individual, who would have pointed out the problem. "Never separate" in a survival situation, is therefore a motto. All of us who are trying to execute complex plans (say, a trip across Europe via public transport) can benefit from some other person's input (and there's almost always someone more expert than oneself in at least some of the particulars - can't think of any exceptions to that, really).

Our minds start going down familiar pathways, we're "happy" with our solutions, but that's because our minds skipped something along the way.

IMO, Kaylee had worked at a coffee bar in Moscow. Suspect likes his coffee. Probably can't actually eat out, because pots and pans.

But coffee machines never have had animal products inside them.

How SG would know that BK ever came to that particular coffee shop is beyond me, but SG's mind does tend to make leaps of certain kinds, as is common with many people (me too).
Kaylee worked at the Dutch Brothers Coffee in Coeur D'Alene near her hometown.

The girls, who stood with a couple hundred other young people at Independence Point in Coeur d’Alene on Tuesday evening, said it helped to get out and hug their friends, all of whom knew the group.

“Everyone who was friends with one of them was friends with all the others,” Bartkowiak said.

Kirsten Rowley worked at the Dutch Bros. coffee stand on Hanley Avenue and Northwest Boulevard with Goncalves. Rowley had been scrolling through her texts after she heard the news Sunday.

“At the time, when we were really close and working, she was on a gap year, and she knew she was going to go to U of I,” Rowley said.

You have a source for this CNN conversation?

I don't - but now I'm noticing that some articles say "tracked" and others say "followed," which to me imply two different things - but I can see how they would sound like synonyms to a reporter or AI program that's rewriting major news articles for various markets.

I am now assuming they had some kind of tracker on his car, as surely they could not rely on his cell phone. But who knows?

He'll be back in Idaho by the end of next week, is my prediction and his arraignment will be the week after (IMO). We will find out way more in two weeks. I think Idaho allows PCA to be released and in fact, seems to be fairly public about matters involving trials.

People who have followed the Vallow case would know more than I do.

I'm not an expert in serial killers, so my opinion is formed from news, plus maybe watching Dexter and Silence of the Lambs, etc. In thinking about this case, it struck me that many (most?) serial killers don't seek to be known. They are hunters and they want to continue to hunt, so they want to stay under the radar screen. Their compulsion doesn't necessarily include a desire to do something so brazen, something that is by its very nature will draw an immense amount of attention and create a level of risk of being caught that is so high. IMO, BK thought he was going to be the most clever serial killer ever, that his studies and his intellect (in his own mind) would allow him to pull off the most public and sensational and violent and brutal murder. Such hubris, such an unfathomably high opinion of his own abilities. IMO. (He studied under a famed serial killer expert which is what makes me think that he thought he knew enough to get away with it all.) I hope this makes sense...
I still think it's possible that he thought the murder would be faster and easier. I don't think he accounted for the fact that two girls were sleeping together in the same bed. People woke up and derailed his plan. The arrest paperwork should be public soon when he gets to Idaho.

The article says they “tracked” his trip as he drove east. I’m skeptical they lined up a group of ground and air resources to literally follow him 2500 (or however many) miles to PA. That would take massive resources.

I wonder if they “tracked” him using a gps tracker, his phone, etc.

But maybe they did literally physically tail him. But to my mind, if they did, that’s much more than 4 days of “surveillance.”

I also saw (cnn I believe) that he was at an auto service shop with his dad and the car in PA, and while there conversed with an acquaintance on CNN. So it sound like he was there at least by the 16th.
What service was he buying from the auto service shop?
Valet?
Hopefully not but doubt he neglected to clean it,
Hopefully he missed large chunks.
Do you happen to have link to that by any chance, please?
Not being pedantic but I missed it entirely.

The article says they “tracked” his trip as he drove east. I’m skeptical they lined up a group of ground and air resources to literally follow him 2500 (or however many) miles to PA. That would take massive resources.

I wonder if they “tracked” him using a gps tracker, his phone, etc.

But maybe they did literally physically tail him. But to my mind, if they did, that’s much more than 4 days of “surveillance.”

I also saw (cnn I believe) that he was at an auto service shop with his dad and the car in PA, and while there conversed with an acquaintance on CNN. So it sound like he was there at least by the 16th.
Maybe they put a tracker on his car?

He went back for Thanksgiving, too? What’s the source? I hadn’t heard that.
Gosh, that is going way back several weeks ago but it is my recollection that he went home for Thanksgiving and returned to finish the semester. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong. As far as the source, lol - I am not going to dig for it at this point, plus it may be that I just read something that led me to interpret he was home at Thanksgiving. I may be wrong and would love to be corrected if I am. It is my understanding that he was home at Thanksgiving and returned to finish the semester.

You have a source for this CNN conversation?

Last edited:
Good news - apparently you can’t use insanity plea in Idaho!
Eh. They don't officially have it but their case law says that the defense can use mental condition to undermine mes rea, so it, my friend, is functionally the same thing

Insanity in the State of Idaho - American Psychological Association

Maybe parents thought he should come home for a time with those murders happening right across the stateline.

LE was looking for a different year of vehicle, car in mother's name, she should know year. I don't think parents immediately think their child can do something like that, takes time and evidence and sometimes never.
Respectfully, this "child" is 28 years old. Why does he need to go home to mommy & daddy to cope? He encounters all kinds of criminal brutality thru his studies & research.

Playtime is over. Prison is an adult world. I wonder if his academic experiences ever included time inside one? Of course, he would have been free to walk out then.

JMHO

Maybe parents thought he should come home for a time with those murders happening right across the stateline.

LE was looking for a different year of vehicle, car in mother's name, she should know year. I don't think parents immediately think their child can do something like that, takes time and evidence and sometimes never.
You could definitely be correct. That’s a very likely scenario.

Dave Cullen in the epilogue to his book Columbine talks about “spectacle murder”—murder for no other reason than to be known (whether or not the killer is caught) to get his deeds or his face on TV.
IMO. I don’t think that applies to this guy.

That's why I'm annoyed SG said he found a connection. That would be the Idaho defense attorney's dream: an excuse that he was in the house for a friendly beer or two.
Yes, if they can put him in the house under benign conditions, you may have a defense on DNA. However, if his DNA is mixed in blood of victims...ON THEIR BEDDING OR BODIES.... under fingernails>>HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM<<

The more I think about it, it is an interesting question. Wanted to stretch his wings?

Niceness of grad student housing? (Financial aid would include the sticker price for his apartment - I'd have given a lot to have had such a nice apartment, they can be seen on youtube).

But I'im going to go with "He didn't get into a lot of programs, this one offered financial aid - and a particular style of living that he liked."
I agree. And add that perhaps he may have wanted to FINALLY get out FROM UNDER his folks and hometown? Put some distance between them. Leave home…and venture out (as most manage to do at 17/18). Unless, (and I hope against hope that there aren’t) there remains one or more unsolved homicides “of a similar nature” within the area of PA that BK formerly called his home.

He may have SIMPLY felt more “invisible” in WA (and falsely invincible) due to the simple nature of the distance and demographics. When you grow up in an area such as BK did, the cops pretty much know the families and kids. He stepped into “anonymity” when he arrived to begin his final phase and academic pursuit into criminology. Eerily fascinating to the point of spellbound. JMOO

1. That the person is who the state says they are
2. That he is charged with a crime of treason, felony or other crime
3. That he feld from the jurisdiction where the crime occurred to the other state
4. That the executive authority of the state certifies the facts and the request

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2 of the US Constitution

Not sure what you're saying here. There is a specific PA extradition statue that I cited that says to be extradited from PA the person must either allegedly have been in the state (Idaho) at the the time of the crime, or been in PA or another state and intentionally done something to cause the crime in the state/Idaho. I'm sure there are other requirements re a felony etc. but my point was about why BK's lawyer was talking about extradition and cell phone info having him at the Idaho/WA border.

Last edited:
I suspect the vehicle was registered to father's name. BK could not risk being stopped for any traffic violation.

My other explanation would be that earlier on, BK had periods when he'd not be permitted to drive (seizures come to mind; fear of DUI due to active drinking or using could be another reason), so maybe he got the license and the parents' car before the trip to WA. IRL he could ill afford being stopped in his Elantra on his way to PA. However, as an explanation, it would be easy to say, "I don't feel safe to drive" and dad would hop on the plane, predicta
Please provide a link or any credible theory that BK at any point suffered seizures that prevented him from driving.
BBM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members