ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not really sure. Just a general feeling I have based on everything I’ve seen, read, etc. I think the strong public social media presence is one reason. And the outgoing personality that could have been mistaken by eager young men as something more than friendliness. Add all that to some of SG’s comments and that’s all I have. Strong gut feeling more than anything else, but I could be totally wrong. Hopefully we will know more in the next week or two!
Not sure why I’m getting an angry vote. I don’t think anything any of the victims did or didn’t do justifies the crime. BK is the one who is in the wrong here. I am 100% on the side of the victims and their families.

If they asked the parents to do that, and they agreed, why not ask for them to hand over dna evidence sooner? I’m not disagreeing that it’s a possibility. I just think that’s a significant amount of time to ask parents to hide (from their kid that will be driving & staying with them) that LE is closing in.
If parents were aware of LE's interest in BK they would not have been schocked when LE showed up at their home at 3am Friday morning

In the future, I guess this will be revealed, but no one in Pullman thought to report that Elantra? No one in PA thought it strange about the murders, his attendance nearby, and his car??? I am not faulting others, just amazed. I kept my eyes peeled for the car and I'm 1800 miles from Idaho.
How do you know that no one thought to report the Elantra?

For all we know, someone DID report the Elantra.

Right, but something had to let them know that it was BK’s DNA in the first place. Hence the genealogical DNA research. They would have then obtained family/ his trash in order to confirm. Or they found him via the Elantra or a tip. But the speculation on genealogical DNA is for how they were INITIALLY led to BK. IMO.
With the DNA all they had to do was go to "various" genealogical databases online and see if he matched any. Not everyone's DNA is available on these databases, but if someone has had their DNA analyzed for genealogical purposes they can choose to make their DNA available to police (on some sites, NOT ALL).
The match might of been a distant match, but with all the online resources available an experienced genealogist could start making relevant connections fairly quick.

Eeek! I know -- I was driving alone WA to AK at age 28!! (I also think if it was his frat brother that made the trip with him it would not be questioned). JMO
BK has no frat brother, to my knowledge but I get your point

RSBM:
I’m not sure about the legality of placing a tracker on his car.
But maybe that’s a moot point and the FBI places trackers on vehicles anyway. Idk. It would be a smart thing to do.
It's been decided by the U.S. Supreme Court. "The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday that police must obtain a warrant from a judge before placing a GPS tracking device on a vehicle. The court's decision was unanimous...." High Court: Warrant Needed For GPS Tracking Device

The article says they “tracked” his trip as he drove east. I’m skeptical they lined up a group of ground and air resources to literally follow him 2500 (or however many) miles to PA. That would take massive resources.

I wonder if they “tracked” him using a gps tracker, his phone, etc.

But maybe they did literally physically tail him. But to my mind, if they did, that’s much more than 4 days of “surveillance.”

I also saw (cnn I believe) that he was at an auto service shop with his dad and the car in PA, and while there conversed with an acquaintance on CNN. So it sound like he was there at least by the 16th.
They would have the physically follow him, probably not by air, to prevent him from throwing out evidence. If they did use air, they could have used the US Marshal Services drones or the DEA's electronic surveillance plane

All IMHO

I think they LITERALLY tracked his car from WA to PA as in physically had his car followed by agents.
They had their perp and needed to assure he didn’t dispose of the car or the knife along the way and assure that his dad wasn’t an accessory to the crime.

They were awarded a $1M budget to solve this crime so they were on his tail!
I think they probably collected discarded trash/ DNA after food/ bathroom stops along the way.

I’m not sure about the legality of placing a tracker on his car.
But maybe that’s a moot point and the FBI places trackers on vehicles anyway. Idk. It would be a smart thing to do.

I remember in the Jessie Matthew case ( Hannah Graham) that Jessie took off for TX from VA and the investigators legit lost track of him after he took his sister’s car until someone recognized him and called a tip in from the beach in TX.
I‘ve always wondered if they were smart enough to put a tracker on his sister’s car but I don’t think they did in that case.
Probably knew the father had a plane ticket, surveilled at the PA and WA airports. They would have been concerned about the father being in danger, too.

I feel LE has been onto BK for some time. But don’t forget, LE was looking for a 2011-2013 model and I believe BK’s was a 2015.
I'm not so sure. From what I've read, LE had him under surveillance only for a few days. I think he'd already been in PA for a while before LE went looking for him.

"Law enforcement sources told CBS News that forensic analysis allegedly linked Kohberger to the crime scene in Idaho. Those sources told CBS News that FBI agents had conducted surveillance operations on Kohberger in Pennsylvania, tracking his movements on the days before he was taken into custody. Fry said that it was a "fairly sleepless couple days" leading up to Kohberger's arrest."

Regarding a tracking device on the car, I can't remember where, but I remember a discussion about getting permission from the finance company - if the car is financed. It was not this case. Am I right about that? Maybe it would vary state-to-state? Also leasing or purchasing may be the difference?

I did when I got my PhD. Tuition was covered and I got paid as if I was staff. Not really a living wage, but doable. I think it depends on the field.

Yep.

I was on a full tuition / stipend for my Masters and PhD, though not my MD -- and I sometimes advise students not to proceed unless they're covered, partly because it's pricey and there are no guarantees in today's academic, and also because honestly a student who isn't getting a decent package tends to be a student who isn't on an admitting uni's top tier, and who may have plough a much harder row.

I don't - but now I'm noticing that some articles say "tracked" and others say "followed," which to me imply two different things - but I can see how they would sound like synonyms to a reporter or AI program that's rewriting major news articles for various markets.

I am now assuming they had some kind of tracker on his car, as surely they could not rely on his cell phone. But who knows?

He'll be back in Idaho by the end of next week, is my prediction and his arraignment will be the week after (IMO). We will find out way more in two weeks. I think Idaho allows PCA to be released and in fact, seems to be fairly public about matters involving trials.

People who have followed the Vallow case would know more than I do.
All following is tracking but not all tracking is following!

I'm sure they followed him. Could be wrong, but if so, they've got lots of fields, rivers, mountains and gas stations to look through for murder weopons ...

SBM. BBM.

Sarah Healey, who went to Pleasant Valley High School with Kohberger, said he was shy and kept to himself and a small group of friends, but some of their classmates – especially girls – mocked Kohberger and threw things at him.
"It was just weird," she said. "But Bryan was bullied a lot, and I never got a chance to say something to defend him, because he would always run away."
Healey said she heard other girls tell Kohberger in their high school to "go away, creep" or "I don't want to hang out with you."

"I honestly think that's what led up to this, because he didn't get the proper help, and it was mainly females that bullied him," Healey said.

Thank You @indicolite22. You answered my question and provided me with a link. I appreciate the link. Sounds like he was, in fact, bullied at one point in his life, hmmm... by females often. I know a couple of friends said he was the bully, but now I know he was also bullied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HopeBloom