ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Various news articles state that "In stabbing cases, perpetrators often injure themselves, said Joseph Giacolone, an adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a retired NYPD sergeant.

"If you're stabbing and hit the bone, the knife kicks back, and your hand gets sliced," he said."

To me, that would exclude anyone that police have already talked with - the LE would certainly have asked to see their hands, and arms.

JMO
This depends on the type of knife used. If a kitchen knife or a utility/folding knife for sure.

Another though that occurred to me -- it was likely dark in those bedrooms. The perp would need one hand to hold the knife and the other hand to restrain the victims. Especially in the case of the couple, assuming they were sleeping in the same room and that the boy didn't get up to check on noises. And I agree with Sundaaay, the girls could have fallen asleep in the same room too, as they were both trying to call Jack.

At any rate, how did the killer see what he was doing? Wouldn't he have needed a flashlight? But how could he hold a flashlight and a knife and restrain the victims. Did have one of those flashlight thingies that strap around the head, so you can work on something with two hands?

So, maybe someone already brought this up -- haven't read through all the threads. But, just wondering, how did the murderer get back home?

He would have been covered with blood spatter. Even though it was really early in the morning, it would be risky to just walk down the street covered with gore. If he had a car, he would have gotten blood in the car.
I'm thinking it was someone who lived nearby, who could get back home maybe through the woods behind the house.

And someone who lived alone (or maybe was a hunter; which is a good possibility given the knife) -- otherwise, how would he explain his bloodsoaked jacket, pants, and shoes? And what did he do with those items?

IMO, it was in the dark of night, about 4 a.m. that the murderer returned home, assuming they had a home. Not many people out and about at 4 a.m. to see bloody clothes. Plus it was dark, hindering the ability of people to see bloody clothing. Plus dark clothing wouldn't show much blood. Just my opinion.

My idea copied from last night. I'm rarely correct, though.

I'm starting to think it was someone who lived in an apartment behind them. I have no rational wxplanation for my feeling. JMO

I'm starting to think it was a socially awkward guy. Can you imagine wanting to break out of your shell and living behind a party house full of wonderful, happy, beautiful people?

We don't know exactly where everyone was sleeping unfortunately but we can relatively safely assume the couple were sleeping together but other have speculated whether the two girls were also sharing a bed due to one about to move out (possible her furniture was packed away) and also due to the unanswered phone calls made on each other's phone, to the same person. Two killers going into each rooms at the same time, each targeting one person could explain how it was pulled off without a chance of one being stabbed first without the other screaming.
It's tricky because 2 killers would amplify the other factors like the psychology of it (are they equally rageful? Or one leader and one follower?) Also the social circle piece. Two people are more vulnerable to mistakes or slip ups than one. A lot would be explained if they determined two knives were used

Someone posted this story on a different site, but these murders are eerily similar to the the women that were murdered in Napa in 2007. The killer ended up being someone very close to the women.

Nightmare in Napa
Correct. That was another case where the perp hid in plain sight

Last edited:
This afternoon's Press Conference details:

City of Moscow Police Department Facebook:

There will be a News Conference to update the public on the investigation.
Wednesday, November 23, 2022
1:00 p.m.
University of Idaho
Alumni Lounge of the ICCU Arena
900 Stadium Drive, Moscow, Idaho
*Live streaming link pending*

I am having such a hard time believing one person did all of this lately! You stab someone multiple times while sleeping - if another is in the room they will wake up! Then you have someone fighting for their life that you have to control with the others in the house ( including other two victims) and risking another victim shouting “Siri call 911” and or causing the perp to end up cutting themselves and other people not waking up and investigating what was happening?! This is the reason I feel they knew them! There is too much unknown information for someone unfamiliar with their habits to have pulled this off. But then I remember Bundy and Speck!
I have seen it reported that they had mainly wounds on the upper chest. If they were sleeping this could easily be down by one person. I think even if sharing beds it would not be difficult.

I am low-key annoyed at everyone thinking that E must have walked into the prep and X was collateral damage, while it has been told by X-s dad that she had defensive wounds and such a thing has never been said about E afaik. It is just as likely that X walked into the prep, or even, sadly, that they were attacked in the bed with the prep going after E first and waking X.
So what's the reasoning (other than gender stereotypes)?
I wonder if that assumption/theory is circulating because of E's parents initially saying he'd been found in the hallway, and I suppose naturally then assuming that whatever alerted E also alerted X, so she was awake to fight back when the killet went into her room. It's chilling to even contemplate.

It has been said by the investigators that "some had defensive wounds"; Xana's dad stated she was a very tough girl and she fought back. I think the person who committed this atrocity would likely have signs of it on their body. I'm sure the police checked the people they've cleared, and basically anyone they interview, for signs of an altercation.
Defensive wounds means protecting one's self. It could have merely been someone raised their arms up to deflect the knife. Imo.

The perp who did this is going to have a hard time moving forward. He is going to have to self monitor everything he says and does-basically lie-until he slips up and hopefully someone gets it

It's tricky because 2 killers would amplify the other factors like the psychology of it (are they equally rageful? Or one leader and one follower?) Also the social circle piece. Two people are more vulnerable to mistakes or slip ups than one. A lot would be explained if they determined two knives were used
True about determining the potential use of different knives. It's also hard to come across someone who shares such interests but two killers does make it easier to stab four people without the ones on the other floor becoming aware. We also need to take into account we don't actually know how drunk everyone was that night. Sleeping when you're drunk and waking up to something like this, would likely have caused a moment of confusion and a somewhat delayed reaction.

Idaho Police Ask for Public’s Help After Tips That 1 of the 4 Students Murdered Had a Stalker​

In an update on Nov. 22, police said investigators have "looked extensively into information they received about Kaylee Goncalves having a stalker" and pursued hundreds of tips, but they "have not been able to verify or identify a stalker."

Police are asking the public for tips regarding the potential stalker, as well as in the general case.

Idaho Police Ask for Public’s Help After Tips That 1 of the 4 Students Murdered Had a Stalker
Maybe there is a stalker. More likely this is due to Mark Furhman and his unverified rumor. Imo.

The perp may have taken or slid his shoes off before entering the premises

What is everyone’s best current theory as of now?
Bottom line. No suspect. No weapon. LE says targeted but community threat. Planned - not a crime of passion.
Dr. Casey Jordan is a criminal high profiler. Says Rambo type killing may be sexual. High risk killer may strike again. Unable to say if stranger or acquaintance. Multicide has been done before - Richard Speck/nurses.

I have to give credit to my sister (also a WS member) for this one. Her idea makes sense, though.

Could all of this be a "murder for hire" scheme? The messy crime scene clearly points to an amateur...perhaps a young outdoorsman in need of some quick cash. I say outdoorsman because in that part of the country, lots of people hunt and commune with nature. The killer could be a survivalist, accustomed to living "off the grid" for extended periods, which could explain why there has so far been no sighting of a potential suspect. You have Washington to the west, Canada to the north and rural Montana to the east.

All of this just my opinion.

I am amazed, though, how little verified information has been released about this case so far, especially considering the expanded law enforcement corps now involved in the investigation.
Imo, stabbings of of 4 people would leave a mess. I don't think that is indicative of experience.

I feel like it was someone semi random . Some creepy guy who watched them for a little . Someone who was going to kill somebody just to kill and started to watch and target them . Planned it out almost like a game to them . Could be totally wrong obviously, but with the lack of sexual assault and over 100 interviews done with still no arrests makes me think this . Now if I had more information , like if one victim was brutalized much more then the others etc then maybe I would change my mind .
This is what I think too. The killer wanted to kill, period. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t casually know them or at least ”stalked” them while planning. Semi-random is the perfect way to describe what I’m thinking.

That’s why LE is asking for the public’s help. They are going to need people to be on high alert in order to pick up on something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1