ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. First-time poster here so I hope my post doesn't violate any terms of service here!

This case is so upsetting - I have college-aged children and this generation has missed out so much in the last few years for these young people to be so cruelly cut down just when they are enjoying these years in their lives.

It feels like there is a real conflict with this crime indicating the perp is an opportunistic predator but also someone familiar with the home and victims.

I've seen several posters here suggest maintenance people should be looked at and I totally agree. On a related note, online pictures indicate the home was recently renovated - new floors, etc. What about contractors? They would be very familiar with the home, relatively fit, good with tools, and possibly interacted with the victims. This is JMO.

It's also my opinion that the perp would have harmed the surviving roommates too but something stopped the perp - possibly the presence of E. JMO.

I pray this horrid evil is stopped soon and all the loved ones can grieve and heal in peace.

By personal and targeted I immediately jumped to messages scrawled on the wall or some such, specifically naming the victim (e.g. “XXXX I HATE YOU *advertiser censored*”. But that only happens in films, right?

I have to read more into this. I think it's strange that people can be "out separately" and arrive home at the same time -- unless there was an agreement.

It says that they both arrived home ‘by 1:00 am.’ This could be true if one arrived home at 11:00 pm, and the other arrived home at 12:55 am. It doesn’t imply that they arrived home at the same time. (They may have, of course.)

There is a fence in the backyard with what appears to be at least two gates, one on the front and one on the side. ( Shown with red arrows on attached picture.)
I believe that is a misleading angle. From street view you can see the fence you are talking about. Also google maps shows the fence you are talking about but not a fence on the crime scene property. Also zillow photos show no fence. That photo is taken down the street by the intersection. I guess it doesn't really matter. But even in the news reports I have never seen a fence on the property. Guess it doesn't matter. I just wanted the info to be accurate. If you can show me any picture besides that one I would appreciate it. Or feel free to look at zillow street view of google maps. I also am aware they may be outdated. But they all show the fence you are speaking of.

It appears personal because 1) it was gruesome, 2) nothing was stolen, 3) there was no sexual assault.

I might also add 4) the dog was unharmed.
And you would have the same exact features if this was a murder committed by a serial killer driven by psycho-sexual fixations. Not all killers of this type leave semen at the scene.

Hello. First-time poster here so I hope my post doesn't violate any terms of service here!

This case is so upsetting - I have college-aged children and this generation has missed out so much in the last few years for these young people to be so cruelly cut down just when they are enjoying these years in their lives.

It feels like there is a real conflict with this crime indicating the perp is an opportunistic predator but also someone familiar with the home and victims.

I've seen several posters here suggest maintenance people should be looked at and I totally agree. On a related note, online pictures indicate the home was recently renovated - new floors, etc. What about contractors? They would be very familiar with the home, relatively fit, good with tools, and possibly interacted with the victims. This is JMO.

It's also my opinion that the perp would have harmed the surviving roommates too but something stopped the perp - possibly the presence of E. JMO.

I pray this horrid evil is stopped soon and all the loved ones can grieve and heal in peace.
Welcome! And great first post!

Yes, police SEEM to have been purposefully vague about what took place in the hours before the murders. Ethan and Xana from 9 to 1:45, and Kaylee and Madison at the bar. What, if anything took place then and there? The lack of info does make me wonder if it's important. imo.
Possibly important or maybe a "small town mentality" of not wanting to air people's business unless it is necessary?

The police said the two surviving housemates had each been out of town, separately, on Saturday and had returned to the house by about 1 a.m.

I posted this article last night too, and I think it's more likely that 'out' should have been 'on', so just a misprint? I'm speculating, but out of town doesn't make a lot of sense. Could be though. imo.

Me too. And interesting that Kaylee and Maddie are said to have arrived home at 1:56. Pretty precise. IMO
I wonder if, in the absence of a Ring doorbell, the survivors only could give rough times “yes we were definitely both home before 1am” or, it’s an estimate based on what time they left a bar.

Conversely there would be a record on the Uber vehicle of EXACTLY what time K and M got home.

Then why did he kill other people in their sleep? Someone driven by passion, revenge or grudge will not kill strangers when he has one intended target. Furthermore, almost all grudge/revenge killers face their victims, argue with them, and mostly use a gun, they don't stab people unrelated to the grudge in their sleep. This doesn't add up to a revenge/passion killing in my opinion. JMO
the victims were all very close, 2 of them were childhood best friends. the killer might've had 1 person they had grudge against for whatever reason, but they could've also built up animosity towards their closest friends. i don't see how a gun or knife makes a difference in crimes of passion, murder is murder

I wonder if, in the absence of a Ring doorbell, the survivors only could give rough times “yes we were definitely both home before 1am” or, it’s an estimate based on what time they left a bar.

Conversely there would be a record on the Uber vehicle of EXACTLY what time K and M got home.
It's possible. Evidently, Kaylee and Maddie were seen on a neighbor's camera returning at 1.56 a.m. Which leads me to wonder whether the two surviving roommates were caught on camera arriving home as well. JMO. Link: University of Idaho killings stump police: What we know

I agree with most of this and would like to add, I think it's someone who fits this description but met them at a house party they had at their house at some point. I think the guy would have fit in but seemed off to some people. he probably wanted to fit in and hit on the girls. I think he lives nearby. It's a bit of a stretch but I looked up registered sex offenders within a 3 mile radius of the house. There is about 3-4 men fitting your description in regards to age and race. One of them had an address listed on king rd...the apartments RIGHT across the street from the house. Could be something, could be nothing.
That's a great point about the registry. I looked at Latah County and yikes! A lot of people. Watching profiling shows would say certain offenses may be more of a risk factor. I would be interested to cross reference those certain offenders on the registries to people who also have a big game hunting license since there is a predatory aspect to the crime. Of course these things can be a dead end but given no clear suspects am sure they are looking

Lots of speculation killer was on foot. If so, he'd have to change first to not leave a bloody trail. LE would've found a change spot close by now wouldn't they have? Unless that extended search area is that?

If killer was in a vehicle, people should be aware of anyone cleaning their cars around their cities, towns, roadsides, neighborhoods, etc. There was footage of the killer of Eliza Fletcher cleaning his car a day or two after her abduction/murder.

For those thinking about general home safety in the wake of this, the following may have specifically helped in this case:

1. Sliding glass doors at any level of the home should have wood or metal placed in the interior slats so that they cannot be opened from the outside without breaking glass

2. Internal windows that open laterally should also have wood or metal in the internal slats to prevent lock picking and opening

3. Windows and doors that open should have alarm sensors that trigger when the alarm is on and when the window or door is opened

4. Windows that do not open should have “glass breaking” or vibration alarms

5. Areas typically unused or vulnerable should have motion sensing alarms once the alarm system is set to away

6. All alarms should link to a centralized system that creates a siren when triggered, and that can be turned off both with a normal code or with an emergency code that still leaves the alarm active but silent. The alarm, when not turned off in normal mode, should correspond to a center that brings law enforcement out after a certain amount of time

7. Exterior of the house should have floodlights and cameras, or cameras with infrared detection, that record to an offsite server or service (Arlo, Nest, etc.) so that people casing the house can be detected and so that video evidence of a crime can be gathered, or cameras can be checked in real time linked to an app. The app can create push notifications on a phone with noise.

8. Anything suspicious should be communicated to a trusted friend or to law enforcement, asking specifically for a report, to create paper trails

9. Interior doors should be locked or barricaded if possible when sleeping. If there are multiple dependent people in a home such as a loved one in a different room, interior doors may be left open if there is diligence in the alarm system

10. Any threats should not be actively investigated in the house, but rather a person should adopt a defensive position if there is an issue that needs to be observed or help needs to be called

11. All of the above should work together to provide 5-10 seconds of time or alertness to activate a defensive plan, or to access a defensive item as may be needed

If a coded door is used, the code should be changed frequently and who has access should be documented.

Any and all firearms or defensive items should generally be locked and inaccessible unless under your direct control.

Hope this helps someone out there.

I’ll add that alarms can be inexpensive and don’t necessarily require an entire system. Places like Rite Aid sell single units you can easily attach to a window and there are single door alarms as well.

If you already have a system for doors/windows, consider adding an alarm to inner doors, such as the door between basement and main floor, in case someone enters the residence and remains hidden in basement/attic until night.

I posted this article last night too, and I think it's more likely that 'out' should have been 'on', so just a misprint? I'm speculating, but out of town doesn't make a lot of sense. Could be though. imo.

Well, as I see it, ‘out of town’ would make perfect sense if they had been out of town. But, we don’t have any idea if that’s true. (‘I was out of town last weekend.’)

‘Out on town’ is meaningless, as far as I know.

‘Out on the town’ would make sense, but has a strangely old-fashioned sound to it—do the computer and cell-phone generations really say that they’re going out on the town?

When in doubt, wait for another article—in my opinion, journalists are poor at expressing themselves clearly.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member