ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Statistically speaking, the fact that it would be a complete stranger is highly improbable. Especially since there was no sexual motive or robbery. IMHO, because they initially mentioned it was targeted and one-off, I’m assuming that came from the fact that it seemed like an overkill on at least one of the victims. (Coroner stated multiple stab wounds on all of the victims) Overkill in homicide usually means the perpetrator knew the victim.

Very fair point, however not through a pillow or with a silencer it's not. But even if killer thought this, then why bring a gun to begin with which was kind of what I was getting at. Until we know for certain, I can't rule out the killer brought a gun, but I don't see the point of bringing one if you are going to murder people violently and don't use it.
I just read a Fox News article, I haven’t gone back yet but I’m sure it’s been posted already. You guys are always on top of that. But every time I read any crime articles I think of everybody here because whatever is being said by the experts now has already been discussed at WS usually a week prior. This fox article was especially like that. You guys are great source of knowledge. I learn more here at WS than anywhere tbh.
I watched the food truck footage in its entirety in the beginning, and Hoodie Guy’s actions didn’t seem weird to me. Everyone there knows they are live-streamed. It just seemed like a microcosm of late night drunken college life. I was on a cruise once that streamed the evening deck party and I fell asleep watching it every night. I’d catch a glimpse of friends on it and text them some nights. It’s like people watching in a bar, and I didn’t feel he was untoward them in any way.

Everyone seems to have settled on K being the target. I have no opinion on that other than what it might say about us. I imagine that LE, who says it was targeted, may have evidence that points to a particular victim being the focus of the killer. My thoughts change all the time, and there is nothing released yet that provides enough detail for me to settle on a theory.
I didn’t see any creepiness, either. Most people don’t have sinister motives, and it’s unfortunate how often we tend to ascribe them almost immediately. I suppose it stems from what I’d call a bias of human nature in reaction to, in this case, the slaughter of 4 young college students. I’ve thought about the fellow in the hoodie and wondered if maybe he had sisters and if he felt concerned for the vulnerability of the these two girls. I hope he’s okay.

For those thinking about general home safety in the wake of this, the following may have specifically helped in this case:

1. Sliding glass doors at any level of the home should have wood or metal placed in the interior slats so that they cannot be opened from the outside without breaking glass

2. Internal windows that open laterally should also have wood or metal in the internal slats to prevent lock picking and opening

3. Windows and doors that open should have alarm sensors that trigger when the alarm is on and when the window or door is opened

4. Windows that do not open should have “glass breaking” or vibration alarms

5. Areas typically unused or vulnerable should have motion sensing alarms once the alarm system is set to away

6. All alarms should link to a centralized system that creates a siren when triggered, and that can be turned off both with a normal code or with an emergency code that still leaves the alarm active but silent. The alarm, when not turned off in normal mode, should correspond to a center that brings law enforcement out after a certain amount of time

7. Exterior of the house should have floodlights and cameras, or cameras with infrared detection, that record to an offsite server or service (Arlo, Nest, etc.) so that people casing the house can be detected and so that video evidence of a crime can be gathered, or cameras can be checked in real time linked to an app. The app can create push notifications on a phone with noise.

8. Anything suspicious should be communicated to a trusted friend or to law enforcement, asking specifically for a report, to create paper trails

9. Interior doors should be locked or barricaded if possible when sleeping. If there are multiple dependent people in a home such as a loved one in a different room, interior doors may be left open if there is diligence in the alarm system

10. Any threats should not be actively investigated in the house, but rather a person should adopt a defensive position if there is an issue that needs to be observed or help needs to be called

11. All of the above should work together to provide 5-10 seconds of time or alertness to activate a defensive plan, or to access a defensive item as may be needed

If a coded door is used, the code should be changed frequently and who has access should be documented.

Any and all firearms or defensive items should generally be locked and inaccessible unless under your direct control.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited:
FFS, I guess we don't know where the surviving roommates were.

"Police said Saturday that the two surviving roommates were out separately in Moscow in the late night hours of Nov. 12, and both had returned home by 1 a.m. on Nov. 13."

"The police said the two surviving housemates had each been out of town, separately, on Saturday and had returned to the house by about 1 a.m."

I have to read more into this. I think it's strange that people can be "out separately" and arrive home at the same time -- unless there was an agreement.

Exactly! I can't imagine why the police called it a "crime of passion" and the coroner said it was "personal." The perp went from room to room, methodically.
I'm with you. They conclude it was personal, I think, because it is likely especially grisly and a knife was used. Maybe one victim was especially disfigured. But the same features could be present if it was a killer driven by deviant psycho-sexual fixations. These crime scenes might look similar. But the police opted to conclude it was a targeted killing, revenge/passion, because a) it's more common, and b) it's a lot less scary for the community. But the manner of killings and the number of people targeted make this seem unlikely to be a personal vendetta, and more likely to be an obsessive psycho-sexual deviant. JMO.

Very fair point, however not through a pillow or with a silencer it's not. But even if killer thought this, then why bring a gun to begin with which was kind of what I was getting at. Until we know for certain, I can't rule out the killer brought a gun, but I don't see the point of bringing one if you are going to murder people violently and don't use it.
Bring a gun in case you find yourself against overwhelming odds. Perp wants to go home after his crime. my opinion.

Wasn’t Ethan found in the hallway?
yesterdays court tv stated they cant tell if a person is asleep by autopsy, only assume so based on No defensive wounds and being positioned in bed etc….some opinions running around not claiming facts. But sleeping in a hallway doesn’t sound right….
Is it possible he was attacked in bed and got up out of bed?

I think there is one killer. My amateur profile:

- man, late 20s/early 30s, white

- blue collar; uses hand tools at work

- lives alone or with parents

- physically capable and strong

- does not stand out in town appearance-wise but definitely has a history of creeping women out

- hunter

- longtime obsession with knives that is well known to people close to him

- not a current student

- not a coworker

- murder was the goal; possesses a longstanding homicidal ideation

- sexually & revenge motivated

- likely interacted with victims but not a friend or acquaintance

- KG and/or MM were the primary targets but I won’t be surprised if he didn’t even know their names

- lives/lived in the general area and is comfortable in this neighborhood specifically

- hates sorority/attractive/successful college girls and U of I students in general

- did not drive to scene; approached on foot
I agree with this….which worries me that he could strike again. Could become sort of addicting in a sick way. I definitely don’t think the girls are safe coming back to school, imho.or at least, not worth the risk Until he is caught.

Hell of a coincidence to arrive home at the same time unplanned. Unless LE is playing it loose with the "by about 1a.m.".
Yes, police SEEM to have been purposefully vague about what took place in the hours before the murders. Ethan and Xana from 9 to 1:45, and Kaylee and Madison at the bar. What, if anything took place then and there? The lack of info does make me wonder if it's important. imo.

It’s scary how guys think they know you or get the wrong idea and get upset . I had a guy on Snapchat that would write me compliments all the time . Most times I wouldn’t respond and sometimes I’d just respond a :) to be nice bc I didn’t want to be rude . I have never met this guy and barely talked to him at all . He randomly wrote me and asked me if I loved him like he does me , started to tell me that he wanted to marry me etc. I opened it and didn’t respond and he started writing to me that I’m a dumb biiitch and lots of scary angry things . I immediately deleted him but I’m just telling this as an example of how guys can get crazy and delusional and angry like that . It’s scary and it could have happened to one of them in some way . A customer for example or any delusional lonely guy .

yes, it is disturbing. I often feel like I need to be nice or they will fly int a rage. I hate it.

Yes, police SEEM to have been purposefully vague about what took place in the hours before the murders. Ethan and Xana from 9 to 1:45, and Kaylee and Madison at the bar. What, if anything took place then and there? The lack of info does make me wonder if it's important. imo.
Me too. And interesting that Kaylee and Maddie are said to have arrived home at 1:56. Pretty precise. IMO

For those thinking about general home safety in the wake of this, the following may have specifically helped in this case:

1. Sliding glass doors at any level of the home should have wood or metal placed in the interior slats so that they cannot be opened from the outside without breaking glass

2. Internal windows that open laterally should also have wood or metal in the internal slats to prevent lock picking and opening

3. Windows and doors that open should have alarm sensors that trigger when the alarm is on and when the window or door is opened

4. Windows that do not open should have “glass breaking” or vibration alarms

5. Areas typically unused or vulnerable should have motion sensing alarms once the alarm system is set to away

6. All alarms should link to a centralized system that creates a siren when triggered, and that can be turned off both with a normal code or with an emergency code that still leaves the alarm active but silent. The alarm, when not turned off in normal mode, should correspond to a center that brings law enforcement out after a certain amount of time

7. Exterior of the house should have floodlights and cameras, or cameras with infrared detection, that record to an offsite server or service (Arlo, Nest, etc.) so that people casing the house can be detected and so that video evidence of a crime can be gathered, or cameras can be checked in real time linked to an app. The app can create push notifications on a phone with noise.

8. Anything suspicious should be communicated to a trusted friend or to law enforcement, asking specifically for a report, to create paper trails

9. Interior doors should be locked or barricaded if possible when sleeping. If there are multiple dependent people in a home such as a loved one in a different room, interior doors may be left open if there is diligence in the alarm system

10. Any threats should not be actively investigated in the house, but rather a person should adopt a defensive position if there is an issue that needs to be observed or help needs to be called

11. All of the above should work together to provide 5-10 seconds of time or alertness to activate a defensive plan, or to access a defensive item as may be needed

If a coded door is used, the code should be changed frequently and who has access should be documented.

Any and all firearms or defensive items should generally be locked and inaccessible unless under your direct control.

Hope this helps someone out there.
And if possible a bigger more aggressive dog.

I'm with you. They conclude it was personal, I think, because it is likely especially grisly and a knife was used. Maybe one victim was especially disfigured. But the same features could be present if it was a killer driven by deviant psycho-sexual fixations. These crime scenes might look similar. But the police opted to conclude it was a targeted killing, revenge/passion, because a) it's more common, and b) it's a lot less scary for the community. But the manner of killings and the number of people targeted make this seem unlikely to be a personal vendetta, and more likely to be an obsessive psycho-sexual deviant. JMO.
It appears personal because 1) it was gruesome, 2) nothing was stolen, 3) there was no sexual assault.

I might also add 4) the dog was unharmed.

Mr small town police Chief Fry or was it the mayor, or both neither of whom has ever dealt with a crime as complicated and complex, vicious and tragic as the murders of these young people came out immediately to say it was targeted.
Why?
And why is that analysis or working theory still being relied upon?
And may I add in so far as I have watched the forensic investigation on site evolve, he did not do much IMO to secure the scene or perimeter.
Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member