ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect they have not offered a reward YET because they are still sifting through so many other tips, etc. They don’t need thousands more at the moment. MOO

Added: Could also create more tension with locals who already suspect LE have no leads, a reward reinforces “we got nothin’” and the public is therefore not safe.
In the meantime, the unsub could be planning his next murder(s).

Sorry - I'm only finding the other dog incident in my searches at this point. I am more than likely crossing random rumors I've read with actual sources, so I went back and deleted my post.
Here is one story with neighbor interviews. One said he walked his dog in and out. They also describe the partying and that you could look in the windows and see people in there.

I believe Sillybilly meant that one of the victims may have shared something important with a surviver before retiring for the night. This was in the context that the survivors may have had important information even though they slept through the attack.
Obviously that would be different!

Replying to my own post. In fact, looking at LE's website, LE has not said when the surviving roommate's feel asleep. All they say is this: "Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had also been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. on November 13th. The two did not wake up until later that morning." King Street Homicide | Moscow, ID

So it seems we don't know when they feel asleep, when they woke up, or whether they were awake and heard anything during the attacks. JMO.
We don’t know if they were woken up by Kaylee looking for her dog. That’s certainly plausible. They could’ve easily gone right back to sleep.

Here is one story with neighbor interviews. One said he walked his dog in and out. They also describe the partying and that you could look in the windows and see people in there.
Have you happened to come across an older article quoting the two neighbor guys from next door? It was from just right after it happened? But I haven’t seen additional articles mentioning the next door neighbors again or the one I read. I’d like to read it again but can’t find it.

Your theory would explain the calls to the other owner of the dog AND possibly the police saying they found a door open...

Here's the Q & A from the Moscow, Idaho website:
  1. What happened to the dog?
On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and later released to a responsible party.

Note: "On the night of the incident...."

To me, it's weird that the dog was turned over to Animal Services if it was any other time except the night of the incident when none of the occupants of the home had discovered he was missing.
MOO. See here’s the kicker for me, I’ve read all 12 threads & I cannot find anywhere that anyone from the household reported Murphy missing! Can anyone show me a link to Murphy being missing? After 12 threads, maybe it’s me going a little crazy

MOO. See here’s the kicker for me, I’ve read all 12 threads & I cannot find anywhere that anyone from the household reported Murphy missing! Can anyone show me a link to Murphy being missing? After 12 threads, maybe it’s me going a little crazy
I have never seen that either. I was just positing my own theory that he could have been missing when M&K returned home, hence the calls to ex & possible door left open. But I have not seen that reported anywhere. Just wild speculation on my part, sorry for the confusion.

There is also a concept in American law called "en loco parentis" where college students, even if under 18, are considered adults (In loco parentis - Wikipedia). Professors are used to helicopter parents of 16 year olds demanding to know how their kid is doing because the kid is underage and they are paying.

Good points about the campus police! I didn't even think about that! Here's the campus LE policies and duties- 95.15 - Campus Law Enforcement and Crime Reporting

We have been so focused on Idaho state police, but what about any reports to the campus police? And was anything on their radar?

Also interesting to consider the university's duties if in loco parentis were in play, and what impact this case might have on that role, and what, if any, duties the university will have been deemed to owe to the families. I'm using 'duty' in this sense: Tort

To clarify for those who may not know, in loco parentis is a legal doctrine, not a 'law' per se, and it literally translates to 'in place of the parents'. "Though in loco parentis continues to apply to primary and secondary education in the U.S., application of the concept has largely disappeared in higher education". It is true that the parents can't demand the grades because the college students are deemed adults. 'In loco parentis' was the opposite of that; the school stood in place of the parent, and as such, could impose behavioral standards related to morals and values in university settings, literally, in place of the parents. Important to clarify, if the issue is raised later, it will be important to know. In loco parentis - Wikipedia

Have you happened to come across an older article quoting the two neighbor guys from next door? It was from just right after it happened? But I haven’t seen additional articles mentioning the next door neighbors again or the one I read. I’d like to read it again but can’t find it.
I’ll see if I can locate it.

Perhaps if a reward were offered people with information would be more likely to come forward. There must be someone who has seen or heard something, or who has noted recent strange behavior in a friend or acquaintance.
I’m a little perplexed by the lack of reward almost 2 weeks on and such high profile :oops:

I think the dog was out when everyone else was and his owner beat him home and started calling the other owner looking for the dog. Maybe she assumed he had picked up the dog, and was home fast asleep, so she went to bed. There may or may not have been a door left open just in case he might come home… but by the time the cops found an open door, no telling how many other people were over there. Scene is compromised to that extent…..

Waking up to find one unresponsive person and/or a missing dog would somewhat explain calls going out to friends that a search party needed to be organized….BEFORE the dog’s reactive owner and her best friend discover that he is missing. So, shh, don’t wake them up until we find the dog.
I thought the dog was found in the home after police were called? Where is the information coming from that the dog was missing and that the roommates planned to organize a search party or that they didn't want to wake their roommates?

I have never seen that either. I was just positing my own theory that he could have been missing when M&K returned home, hence the calls to ex & possible door left open. But I have not seen that reported anywhere. Just wild speculation on my part, sorry for the confusion.
Oh no! I’m sorry for causing you to apologise, I jumped on your post because of all the talk about said dog lol - Still cannot verify it was ever missing though! MOO

Of course there are other reasons explaining why they were not attacked (locked doors) but I get the sense there’s a general consensus about them not being “targeted” like the upstairs tenants. Thoughts?

Probably the general consensus, but I have another theory, based on my own analysis of the floor plan. I think that the first floor skip was an intentional choice because there's only one way out - the front door (not counting windows as easy exit), and if they were heard and trapped in there, it would be a tough way out, esp if someone had a gun. From the 2nd and 3rd floors, the killer has exit choices. They could bolt through the sliding glass door, the front door on the first level or run to the third floor. They could even lock themselves in the extra room and jump from a window. From the third floor, the killer could run to the second easily, bolt through one of two sliding doors on the 3rd, and jump from the deck. I think that a serial thrill killer (which is what I think this is at this time) who hunts and traps humans would be hyperaware of being trapped himself. ICBW.

This. I think it’s imperative the prosecutor be kept in the loop and on the “front line” as much as possible here IMO.
My husband is a police detective serving in a major crime unit in the city (we’re in east). He told me that there needs to be one of these two reasons for a prosecutor to get involved in his cases.

1. To determined if there’s enough evidence to charge
2. They have enough evidence to charge

I can’t speak for other states or other LE experiences as state law varies.

So -- whodunnit? (Bearing in mind TOS etc.) I'm back to sitting on the fence, though it's hard for me to fathom the sheer brutality here if its genesis -- the reason it occurred -- isn't itself an illegality.

I’ll see if I can locate it.
I found it! I guess they weren’t from the house next door, but an apartment building…At the time I read it It stood out to me that they were cleaning. I wonder how thorough LE has been able to search surrounding structures ie; houses, next door apartments, etc. given the obstacle of search warrants, etc. Just curious…Four UI students died in 'senseless acts of violence'

I’m a little perplexed by the lack of reward almost 2 weeks on and such high profile :oops:
May I ask if that’s common in the US, MOO, I think here in Australia, rewards are usually only offered after all investigative measures have been exhausted & a long time after the crime (I think!! I can’t think of a crime where a reward was offered during an investigation but I could be completely wrong - it happens a lot in my house ) Also, if you know something about a crime of this magnitude, wouldn’t you want to freely give this to the police? Again all MOO

I don't think this community needs to be motivated by a reward in order to call in tips. Police have already processed over 1000 and I have no doubt calls continue to come in. Everyone wants to find the person responsible for this horrible crime. If police believe a reward is needed I'm sure they will offer one. Imo

Also it’s a 2016 RR, KBB values that year at around $28,000. Only need to save a few thousand dollars to get a car loan from any dealership these days.

Europe sounds expensive but flights are extremely cheap. Unless you’re staying in 5 star hotels, it can be affordable.

Plus we don’t know if she actually had plane tickets or if this was her dream for after graduation?
i was thinking mostly the same. Posters imply suspiciously that she suddenly turned up with big bucks to buy a car, but most people get loans.

And Europe? Best time to go in 2 decades, dollar is so strong. I see nothing out of line, study hard, get a great job in your chosen field with just a BA or BS, travel a bit on a shoestring before digging in to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper