ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WRT statements from the family, I hope they realize the importance of being factual and accurate with what they are saying. I'm thankful they are talking. Otherwise, we and the Moscow/UofI community would be very much in the dark. However, erroneous and misleading statements could derail the investigation.

There was one thing LE said during their press conference that had me puzzled. This was the response from LE when the reporter asked about Kaylee’s stalker. I’ve bolded the piece I’m talking about:

Captain - We obtained information through some of our interviews that Kaylee had made some comments about a stalker, so that's where that came from. We have followed up, looking at specific timeframes and specific areas of town. So far, we have not been able to corroborate it, but we're not done looking into that piece of information.

I wonder what those specific timeframes and specific areas of town are?

good point, I’ll likely keep digging.

I’m starting to lean towards the scenario that if this is a serial killer passing through towns, it’s likely they are a trucker or work as a contractor moving from job to job. I would bet it’s likely they came across the girls working at the restaurant, or even were present at the bar watching K and M. all IMO, but very creepy and unsettling even if they are not connected.
are you digging on websleuths or are these even here (4)?

I was just watching the news about this massacre. The problem is about "mixed DNA", meaning it is hard to get DNA when the victim and perpetrator blood is "mixed". And even if they get a match of DNA from both separate scenes, the bedrooms, if the perpetrator has never given DNA to LEO, it is useless. Just a random DNA.

It may be useful if they have a definite suspect. But, if that suspect has been in that house, and those areas, he may have legitimate reasons why his DNA was found. Depending on where and what it is...

Good points about the campus police! I didn't even think about that! Here's the campus LE policies and duties- 95.15 - Campus Law Enforcement and Crime Reporting

We have been so focused on Idaho state police, but what about any reports to the campus police? And was anything on their radar?

Also interesting to consider the university's duties if in loco parentis were in play, and what impact this case might have on that role, and what, if any, duties the university will have been deemed to owe to the families. I'm using 'duty' in this sense: Tort

To clarify for those who may not know, in loco parentis is a legal doctrine, not a 'law' per se, and it literally translates to 'in place of the parents'. "Though in loco parentis continues to apply to primary and secondary education in the U.S., application of the concept has largely disappeared in higher education". It is true that the parents can't demand the grades because the college students are deemed adults. 'In loco parentis' was the opposite of that; the school stood in place of the parent, and as such, could impose behavioral standards related to morals and values in university settings, literally, in place of the parents. Important to clarify, if the issue is raised later, it will be important to know. In loco parentis - Wikipedia

The UI president emphasizes that the murders took place off campus, just about every time he speaks. One reason is to try to assure parents, students and alumni that the campus itself is safe, i.e. it didn't happen in the residence halls. Another reason is likely on the advice of the University's general counsel, for legal reasons. JMO.

What does everyone make of the evidence markers? They appear to be above the door handle and in the center of the 2 doors. I would expect them to be on the door handle

fingerprints, scrapes from a tool, or small blood smears? You can slide a sliding door open without using a handle maybe killer left prints there? (I hope so.) All LE needs is one mistake, one print and one drop of his blood/DNA. So I hope he made several huge mistakes and catch him quickly.

All of this (other unsolved PNW murders) is reinforcing my belief that this is a serial killer. When I read of the other PNW murders, what stands out is that they are mostly unsolved with no particular POI. Most are seemingly innocent people who were “targeted”. I’m saying “targeted” in that they were vulnerable and there was opportunity… nothing more. Sure there are other gruesome murders committed in a similar manner (knife, early morning hour ambush), but each of these, including the UI students, appear to me to be random attacks on people living a pretty average lifestyle. And when I say random (not sure if that’s actually a good word here), I mean the victims were selected based on certain criteria only (vulnerable, opportunity) and not selected based on specific knowledge of the victims. Again this is MO only.

The UI president emphasizes that the murders took place off campus, just about every time he speaks. One reason is to try to assure parents, students and alumni that the campus itself is safe, i.e. it didn't happen in the residence halls. Another reason is likely on the advice of the University's general counsel, for legal reasons. JMO.

Agreed, they want to really reiterate that info. Universities do NOT want to scare off any students.

This is just too creepy and uncanny. I have a feeling they must be related.
Do the articles have the exact addresses? If so there might be other patterns, close to a wooded area/park or creek etc...corner apts. I keep thinking of EAR he used a creek to throw off dog scent and to travel by foot or by little boat.

People are putting too much significance on numbers. There is no confirmation that the murder even occurred exactly at 3 am. In fact, if the victims were awake and texting at 250, then likely the killer waited a bit to make sure they were fully asleep and therefore would not have killed or entered at 3.

This angle is very likely nothing. If the murders are related, I doubt numbers have anything to do with it.

All of this (other unsolved PNW murders) is reinforcing my belief that this is a serial killer. When I read of the other PNW murders, what stands out is that they are mostly unsolved with no particular POI. Most are seemingly innocent people who were “targeted”. I’m saying “targeted” in that they were vulnerable and there was opportunity… nothing more. Sure there are other gruesome murders committed in a similar manner (knife, early morning hour ambush), but each of these, including the UI students, appear to me to be random attacks on people living a pretty average lifestyle. And when I say random (not sure if that’s actually a good word here), I mean the victims were selected based on certain criteria only (vulnerable, opportunity) and not selected based on specific knowledge of the victims. Again this is MO only.

If they are related the killer chose them for a reason unknown to use, age, vulnerability, opportunity, looks, etc...reminds him of someone. Right now I am assuming the killer is male.

The lack of a reward is puzzling to me at this point.

I think the main point of a reward is publicity. I doubt that this case needs any more of that.

And if they’re getting a solid supply of tips to investigate, adding more to the mix that are of a lower quality, (financially motivated,) might not be indicated.

MOO

fingerprints, scrapes from a tool, or small blood smears? You can slide a sliding door open without using a handle maybe killer left prints there? (I hope so.) All LE needs is one mistake, one print and one drop of his blood/DNA. So I hope he made several huge mistakes and catch him quickly.
Since Covid, I’ve become pretty adept at not directly putting my hands on door handles. That’s not to say that there wouldn’t be DNA from my sleeves or elbows.

I think the main point of a reward is publicity. I doubt that this case needs any more of that.

And if they’re getting a solid supply of tips to investigate, adding more to the mix that are of a lower quality, (financially motivated,) might not be indicated.

MOO
I agree it's mostly to get the word out but at this point a reward may inspire someone who knows something to talk. JMO and probably wishful thinking.

People are putting too much significance on numbers. There is no confirmation that the murder even occurred exactly at 3 am. In fact, if the victims were awake and texting at 250, then likely the killer waited a bit to make sure they were fully asleep and therefore would not have killed or entered at 3.

This angle is very likely nothing. If the murders are related, I doubt numbers have anything to do with it.

I never said EXACTLY at 3 am, but approx around and AFTER 3 am. This is important. After 3 am people are exhausted and can be taken off guard easier vs broad daylight.
I respectfully disagree.
If this is not a one-off murder it could be related to other murders with similarities. Serial Killers tend to have patterns.
I hope we do not have another serial killer on our hands, and serial killings are more common than you think, which is disturbing.
I honestly hope this is not a serial killer or will happen again but I do want him/her to be caught ASAP!

Since Covid, I’ve become pretty adept at not directly putting my hands on door handles. That’s not to say that there wouldn’t be DNA from my sleeves or elbows.

Good catch! Subconscious body memory. I have to admit I try to avoid door handles too now due to viruses.

There was a lot of envy, disdain, stirred up by certain factions against college students when parts of their student loans were forgiven. Temporarily as it turned out. I saw so many interviews with people on the street, with interviewers pushing the idea that it was wrong to forgive any loan of these "privileged" kids.

That's an interesting thought...especially when one of them shows up with what appears to be an expensive new car.

I was just watching the news about this massacre. The problem is about "mixed DNA", meaning it is hard to get DNA when the victim and perpetrator blood is "mixed". And even if they get a match of DNA from both separate scenes, the bedrooms, if the perpetrator has never given DNA to LEO, it is useless. Just a random DNA.

It may be useful if they have a definite suspect. But, if that suspect has been in that house, and those areas, he may have legitimate reasons why his DNA was found. Depending on where and what it is...

I agree with almost everything you say, but ‘random DNA’ is far from useless, in that new era of genetic genealogy. However, it can take years to get results. (My belief is that finding a murderer through genetic genealogy is bound to be more difficult than identifying an unidentified deceased person.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53