ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an example, if she was wealthy, that could provide a motive for robbery
Yet nothing from anyone was stolen— And usually robbers/thieves do not kill people the way these kids were killed.

The way in which they were murdered tells the behaviorists a lot about motive and there’s a reason why there are two behavioral units from the FBI are there: it isn’t a “usual” case.

Was the dog known to be a good watch dog, though? We don't know if he was a 'barker' or not. Some dogs are friendly with everyone and some are shy. He was probably used to a lot of people coming and going. For all we know the dog's bed was in the kitchen and he slept the whole time. If the roommates came home and saw him they may not have suspected anything was wrong.

But yes, it may have been risky to murder four people in a residence with a dog, but it's been done before so it's not impossible.

LE has not mentioned anything suspicious about the dogs whereabouts, have they?
I Agree, Some dogs when exposed to large amounts of people will welcome just about anyone into their home, And he was still a pup I think less than a year old? Prob not relevant, But the killer had to know About this, I wonder if K call to her boyfriend were about the dog missing, maybe killer came in let the dog outside , his waited for his target to arrive and maybe fall asleep then started his rampage.. hmm so many scenarios

Investigators are wisely establishing their case -- documenting/counting all the items and interviews and sharing these regularly with the public and online. They want to be sure the murderer does not get away once caught. they are publicly outlining their meticulousness - they're not hapless at all but actually systematic and methodical. Imo they know who they're looking for. Thank you @dotr for posting these. The interviews with the four experts are very clear...based on their experience this crime was not a committed by a stranger. It was not random.

This is why from the beginning police have said there wasn't a threat to the broader community. Legally they've had to walk that back (twice) because they simply overstepped in trying to restore the community's sense of security - no one can guarantee there are no threats at any given time. etc. But they knew the murderer knew the victim(s).
I thought I just read a report on here last night that police initially thought the crime was a murder-suicide which is why they initially said there was no threat to the community.

And since then, they’ve said in interviews for people to be vigilant even though the murders seem to be targeted.

Danny Rollings targeted his victims from random in runs around places he frequented and honed in on women that reminded him of his ex wife— so, he targeted his victims but they never had a clue… It could be the same situation here.

I was thinking it might be because they are a lot easier to track that night, on top of K's sister being very open to public speaking. The sister pulled phone records right away, tracked down the uber driver, and the twitch stream was already out there just waiting for someone to post about it. If X & E's family has done that, they maybe gave everything directly to LE who have not released it. There seems to be a huge gap in their timeline, that for some reason is not being spoken about. I would think E's siblings might know more about their timeline being that he was at his sister's sorority party. But maybe they are being told not to speak about it.

K's sister is pushing hard for answers, and I do not blame her at all. Unfortunately, she has joined the club of strong sisters demanding answers for their siblings Like Sarah Turney, Georgia Moses's sister Angel, Kelsie German & Jenny Carrieri.
I don't know if the correct term is "geofencing", but with today's technology, LE should be able to pull the cell phone numbers of every phone that pinged off of the closest cell phone tower between a specific time frame (2 AM - 6 AM) that night/morning. That would at least give them a starting point to eliminate suspects. You could probably rule out all of the female cell phone owners off the top. Then, start looking into the males - why were they in that area? were they with anyone? Do they have an alibi? I think it's also to determine how long someone's cell phone stayed in an area by how it continues to ping as if the person is at home and the cell phone hasn't moved.

Regarding The numerous calls to the ex boyfriend , I wonder if any voicemails were left I’m sure there were there had to be, you don’t call someone 6 or 8 times in a matter of 45 minutes and just hang up, Have the authorities Answered this question or declined … There could be clues left on voicemails that might assist in determining what happened, Also Did the boyfriend return Any calls the following morning, im sure he didn’t sleep until noon And had to know he had all these missed calls and or voicemails

I don't know if the correct term is "geofencing", but with today's technology, LE should be able to pull the cell phone numbers of every phone that pinged off of the closest cell phone tower between a specific time frame (2 AM - 6 AM) that night/morning. That would at least give them a starting point to eliminate suspects. You could probably rule out all of the female cell phone owners off the top. Then, start looking into the males - why were they in that area? were they with anyone? Do they have an alibi? I think it's also to determine how long someone's cell phone stayed in an area by how it continues to ping as if the person is at home and the cell phone hasn't moved.
Good point And with thanksgiving break I bet they have a ton of interviews lined up as soon as everyone returns from break, we should find out a lot next week, or at least LE should, At that time of the morning there shouldn’t be too many calls to go thru, And eliminating females, And elderly, And putting Males between a specific age or CR at top of list it shouldn’t take long, I’m sure they’re just waiting for school to resume, If That Is, this is A student

Is there any confirmation on what rooms the surviving roommates lived in, has it been ruled out that one of them couldve lived on the other room on the second floor, just throwing the possibility out there
The LE have clearly stated more than once that the survivors were asleep on the first floor.

My husband is a police detective serving in a major crime unit in the city (we’re in east). He told me that there needs to be one of these two reasons for a prosecutor to get involved in his cases.

1. To determined if there’s enough evidence to charge
2. They have enough evidence to charge

I can’t speak for other states or other LE experiences as state law varies.
What your husband is saying is usually the case.

I keep thinking this attack was well planned. IMO this perp likely had gloves and some outer covering of clothing. I also suspect he/she was not carrying a cell phone.

Really? It kinda reminds Me of The Pike County murders, No one rally knew the Why , There was so much speculation just like now, Come to find out It was all over a child custody dispute, I still believe this will get solved soon And It Will Have something to do with rejection or jealousy Possibly stemming from one of girls who worked At the restaurant, I just can’t see it being A serial killer, If So He was taken on a huge task entering a house with at least 6 occupants And armed with A just A knife
I don't see any similarities between that crime and the murders of four college students other than the victims were killed in their beds while they slept.

I think it's more likely that a serial killer would risk killing four people rather than a person who feels rejected by just one of the victims. Police have followed through on tips suggesting K had a stalker and so far have found no evidence. They have interviewed at least 90 people and I think that includes staff at the restaurant.

Also, we don't know that the killer was armed only with a knife. We've only heard that a knife is believed to be the murder weapon. But since the victims were said to have been sleeping, the perp may not have had much difficulty. He could have incapacitated them immediately with just a knife. There were multiple wounds, but it's possible only one was meant to kill them.

I don't think this crime will be solved soon. I think LE meant it when they said it will take a long time and to be patient while they investigate.

I don't see any similarities between that crime and the murders of four college students other than the victims were killed in their beds while they slept.

I think it's more likely that a serial killer would risk killing four people rather than a person who feels rejected by just one of the victims. Police have followed through on tips suggesting K had a stalker and so far have found no evidence. They have interviewed at least 90 people and I think that includes staff at the restaurant.

Also, we don't know that the killer was armed only with a knife. We've only heard that a knife is believed to be the murder weapon. But since the victims were said to have been sleeping, the perp may not have had much difficulty. He could have incapacitated them immediately with just a knife. There were multiple wounds, but it's possible only one was meant to kill them.

I don't think this crime will be solved soon. I think LE meant it when they said it will take a long time and to be patient while they investigate.
If It were A stalker And LE had An idea or possibly A POI I doubt they would let this out publicly, LE tends to keep important thing close to the best, I know they said they looked into the stalker thing, And said they weren’t able to corroborate This, that’s a little differant than denying It wasn’t a stalker, I respect everyone’s opinion but, I still believe the person that did this knew at least one of his victims and probably all of them And felt comfortable going into a house where he knew most or all of them were prob passed out from a nite of partying, And most serial killers have a sexual component to their crimes, nothing has been mentioned about anything in a sexual manner

Reverse search warrants are routinely ruled unconstitutional. I’ll look for Idaho cases in a bit; here’s Wiki for now. Geo-fence warrant - Wikipedia

I Have A question Maybe someone can Answer about The Numerous calls K made to her ex starting At 2:26 and ending Abt 2:50 Am, We’re any voicemails left, Her sister pulled the phone records and Can’t you tell by the length of the calls IE a 15 sec call could just be A hang up and a 45 sec call being a voicemail? Has there been anyone mention about this? I don’t think he’s a suspect based on her family’s high regard of him, but There might be clues left in A voicemails, Has LE asnswered this question Or refused to comment? Just wondering, does anyone know?

My theory about the general focus on K being ’targeted’ goes like this: once LE used the term, and very little else was known, it was understandable that many would look for which of the 4 had your typical ‘mystery story’ motive possibility. AHA! We have a recent breakup, calls to the Ex, and a victim only visiting before leaving for good! Kaylee at first seemed to provide the easiest ‘explanation’ for ‘targeting.’

But now the Ex has been essentially ruled out. So the spurned ex boyfriend motive isn’t working. Now there are many other variants of motives. So many!!!! I just pray that LE has much more substantial evidence to work with!

Personally, I’m intrigued by the killer’s movements: he went upstairs, but not downstairs. To me, that says at least one person upstairs was a target. If Ethan alone was the target, no need to go up there. But if the two girls who worked st the restaurant were targets, yes, he would have reason to go upstairs. Just one possibility.

But I still hold my orginal theory, that someone stopped by, all 4 had a brief nasty run-in with him. And drunk and furious, he came back.

So i have been caching up on all of the posts for this case. Is the LE belief that this was targeted and isolated attack based solely on the fact that two of the roommates were not attacked? There could be many reasons for this I would think. Maybe the killer didn't realize that there where bedrooms down on the bottom floor? Or maybe they got scared off for some reason?

My theory about the general focus on K being ’targeted’ goes like this: once LE used the term, and very little else was known, it was understandable that many would look for which of the 4 had your typical ‘mystery story’ motive possibility. AHA! We have a recent breakup, calls to the Ex, and a victim only visiting before leaving for good! Kaylee at first seemed to provide the easiest ‘explanation’ for ‘targeting.’

But now the Ex has been essentially ruled out. So the spurned ex boyfriend motive isn’t working. Now there are many other variants of motives. So many!!!! I just pray that LE has much more substantial evidence to work with!

Personally, I’m intrigued by the killer’s movements: he went upstairs, but not downstairs. To me, that says at least one person upstairs was a target. If Ethan alone was the target, no need to go up there. But if the two girls who worked st the restaurant were targets, yes, he would have reason to go upstairs. Just one possibility.

But I still hold my orginal theory, that someone stopped by, all 4 had a brief nasty run-in with him. And drunk and furious, he came back.
You bring up valid reason, maybe this is why K made all those calls to her ex, there was a blow up at the house and someone stormed of angry then came back, From what I’ve read she k was sort of dramatic and it would explain all those calls to her ex, letting him know what happened at the house

My husband is a police detective serving in a major crime unit in the city (we’re in east). He told me that there needs to be one of these two reasons for a prosecutor to get involved in his cases.

I think they tend to get involved in cases that are particularly high profile as well. Just to make sure everything is done by the book.

Absolutely agree, I think LE has a suspect in mind and are building the evidence. I hope we see an arrest soon for the sake of all the families and the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper