ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reason that the other roommates, or victims did not hear anything is because the killer cut their throats immediately, then stabbed them.

I don't think we even have to complicate things. It is unlikely you'll manage to scream if a knife is struck to your lung in your sleep, IMO. Sure, they might have been attacked in all kinds of ways (I for one am pretty sure the final crime scene had to be worse than just stabbing), but I see no need to add the cutting of throat in order to keep them quiet. I feel like the quic attack while sleeping is the main aspect here - you just have no time to react, as the first stab is aimed at you while you sleep, it is also likely to hit the mark.

As someone who lives near several Universities I am surprised by the lack of cameras in and around these student rentals. The landlords around here have all corners of these residences (outside, not inside) covered for liability reasons. Very easy to win a case against a dumb drunk kid destroying something out back if it's on the surveillance video.

Maybe it's just not an issue in Moscow, ID, but it's still a bit surprising.

Landlord here. We used to have more student-level housing. We’d never give tenants a system like that. First, it’s unlikely to increase the rental value; students are looking for bedrooms/location and not much else. Second, it would create headaches for landlord with changing logins, roommate break-ups, etc. Third, students are *hard* on rentals; you don’t give students anything fragile or higher-end. (But you do get a parent to co-sign!).
We have started giving them to our other tenants but largely because we want to do the installation ourselves instead of the tenant ruining a doorframe.

(The only tech we put in student housing is a sensor that detects water).

Hiring someone to kill 4 people would cost a small fortune. Plus I doubt any assassin would even take the job unless they were desperate for money or an Amateur.

Murdering 4 college kids would bring too much attention and risk. Involving multiple state and federal assets that would not stop until they hunted and tracked you down.
How do we know how much it would cost?

The "sloppy" killing IMO shows exactly that - desperation and no knowledge of what they were actually undertaking. It was probably just one person targeted (which we seem to keep hearing) but this amateur went mental in a panicked state.

I have seen almost no discussion of the furnace room on the lowest level as a place for the perp to hide and wait. How much attention do people, anywhere, really pay to the area where their furnace is located? Change the filter once a month or every three months, depending on the type of filter used, whether the homeowner, maintenance guy, or tenants are the ones changing it. Turn the heat off in the spring and on again when the weather starts getting chilly in the fall. Maybe run the vacuum cleaner in the furnace room a couple of times a year to get the cobwebs and dust.
The following scenario is MOO:
Perp gets into the supposedly empty house-Perp doesn't realize that B. and D. are there because they are asleep and their lights are out. Hiding upstairs is too risky, plus location of the dog is unknown to Perp. Perp is familiar with the floor plan either from Zillow or because Perp has been in the house previously. Perp sits or crouches in furnace room or behind the furnace and hears the other 4 arrive home. Waits an hour or two until things upstairs are quiet, then proceeds upstairs to the victims' rooms.

On a side note: the house my siblings and I grew up in had a large furnace in the darkest corner of the basement- large enough that 3 people could easily have hidden between the furnace and the exterior wall. As a child, it terrified us to go into that area of the basement to get the laundry or canned goods that my mom needed in the kitchen.
Good thinking!

But I don’t think there’s a furnace room since the house reportedly has 100% electric heat, as posted in previous threads. Moo

Thank you so much for you WSers who are keeping the MEDIA/MAPS/TIMELINE THREAD up to date!
I am falling behind in keeping up with these threads...
so I go to the MMT Thread to get caught up on the recent updates before I jump into the conversation threads....
Again... Thank you! (-:

I believe the profile is a male student with a hunter's license. The male student population at The University of Idaho is 5,670. I've been unsuccessful in obtaining how many male students have hunting licenses in Moscow, but I'm assuming this is a very narrow pool.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why LE is looking for digital recordings, etc from the hours 3am to 6am only. If it's their estimated "leaving-the-scene" time frame does that mean they have the arrival time nailed down? Seems to me to view earlier time footage and look for a vehicle/person appearing in both time frames would be more productive.

Good thinking!

But I don’t think there’s a furnace room since the house reportedly has 100% electric heat, as posted in previous threads. Moo
I think he may have been referring to this sketch.

Attachments

• 7BA4892E-E888-40C7-8B29-9DF4242010A4.jpeg
    7BA4892E-E888-40C7-8B29-9DF4242010A4.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 42
Landlord here. We used to have more student-level housing. We’d never give tenants a system like that. First, it’s unlikely to increase the rental value; students are looking for bedrooms/location and not much else. Second, it would create headaches for landlord with changing logins, roommate break-ups, etc. Third, students are *hard* on rentals; you don’t give students anything fragile or higher-end. (But you do get a parent to co-sign!).
We have started giving them to our other tenants but largely because we want to do the installation ourselves instead of the tenant ruining a doorframe.

(The only tech we put in student housing is a sensor that detects water).
Many insurance carriers prohibit student housing. Talk about headaches.

Landlord question-do you find it odd that there was an empty bedroom? In your opinion (your opinion only), would a house like this be rented out in totality with all names on lease, or individual bedrooms? Would there be door locks? Would a landlord continue to feature the one bedroom for rent even after the semester had started, or wait-of course, if it was a per room rental.

I'm curious as to why LE is looking for digital recordings, etc from the hours 3am to 6am only. If it's their estimated "leaving-the-scene" time frame does that mean they have the arrival time nailed down? Seems to me to view earlier time footage and look for a vehicle/person appearing in both time frames would be more productive.
im sure they have an accurate time of death cuz the girls ate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member