ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I started talking about this case on this forum, I started with belief that it was an ex that did this crime. Then after some time went by and the police saying they have no suspects, I suspected it was a frat member figuring they would have nailed the closest suspect by now. Then I gravitated towards a stranger/fringe friend that lives near the house.

Now, i'm thinking I might have to come full circle based off the father's latest interview.

Wait… what??

Ok…
I DVR’d yesterday’s late night news… so I’m sitting here this morning listening and catching up on things, and next thing I know, Fox News at Night reports that the MPD has revised the statement that they have stuck with since day one… About these attacks being targeted… according to Fox (&CNN), LE has apparently walked that back and the one consistent thing that we’ve been told since the very beginning, vehemently, over and over, about how this was targeted… But that they couldn’t expound upon that because it was “integral to the investigation”… now, this may not even be the case at all? I have to say, the first thing that went through my mind were the words of Capt. Lanier during MPD’s second press briefing… since MPD has been so adamant that this was targeted, a reporter asked that if so, why not tell the public who they believe the target or targets were? I recalled Captain Lanier’s response this morning clear as day… “You’re just going to have to trust us”… I even went back and re-watched the press conference this morning just to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind… Since I can’t send you guys a link to my DVR of CNN and Fox, here’s an article I found on it from CNN: It's unclear if the 4 University of Idaho students killed were targeted in the attack, officials now say | CNN

…but beyond what was reported last night, I can’t seem to find any additional details or elaboration about this… Has anyone seen or heard any additional details you could possibly forward?

You know, I have a lot of respect for police officers. A lot. And there are so many local, state, and federal agencies who are all hands on deck with this… and I realize that we certainly do not have all of the facts, and are not at all privy to everything that they are… and I am not accusing anyone of ineptitude or anything… But honestly, hearing this was extremely disappointing… I have really been giving the benefit of the doubt about this the entire time… They’ve repeated it over and over and over, and when they said they couldn’t speak in further detail about it, I accepted that, as well, assuming that they truly were trying to protect the investigation, catch the guy, and do so in a way that would be sure to deliver those victims and their families every bit of justice that they deserve, because they were keeping everything close to the chest… And believing it was for the sake of getting it right, leaking nothing, making sure that they could nail the perpetrator to the wall in the end, I accepted it. Overall, I’m not going to sit here and accuse LE of bungling this or anything else as that would be purely speculation on my part, but I have to admit, I do feel disappointed, and I feel a lot less confident in them. Like I said, the first words that came to my mind were Captain Lanier’s… “You’re just going to have to trust us”

Here is a link to the press conference I’m referencing from Nov. 23rd if anyone wants to review that again. I’m also attaching two screenshots… one that will show a timestamp you can fast forward to, and another one that will show the quoted statement. King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

If anyone can please respond if you have additional details, I would greatly appreciate it… I cannot find anything else anywhere that delves into any further explaination…

Thanks in advance!
IMO,I think that LE believes, intuits or thinks this attack is targeted. Whether or not they can prove it in a court of law is another separate issue. Trust the police- it was probably a targeted attack-they just can’t come out and say why

Now CNN as of an hour ago is reporting there is likely a sixth roommate on the lease- source being property management and police. Unbelievable why did they always say five roommates then. But I can see why it has taken three weeks to peel back the layers of this onion. Unlike a real onion I hope we find something at the center of this investigation. By Christmas we need a suspect named or a $100,000 reward offered for information and the 911 call released at least.
The 6th person could possibly be a parent, friend or relative co-signing for the tenant for financial reasons/backup for rent.

Last edited:
What if the persons (roommates and others) who called 911 were confused by what they were seeing because the body was covered with a blanket or sheet? This would make things look very much different.

Why would the community be even more terrified if a profile were released? I'm not sure they can get any more terrified, but if they can, what on earth could be in the profile?

What if the killer wore Ethan's clothing over his own to cover blood splatter while escaping? Would his siblings miss an item like a coat?

None of the above have any supporting evidence, but it's midnight here and my 71 year-old brain won't shift into neutral for the night.

News Nation- Targetted messaging confusion
Confusion about messaging regarding if and what was targetted

News Nation- JR gives DNA
Law student/ neighbor proactively gives DNA

News Nation- 6th Person on Lease
Sixth person is on lease for the home, was not present during murders

My thoughts-
Hoping professionals with more experience help with messaging, going from vague to specifics when they are known seems a better strategy than making up specifics out of the shoot then regularly and repeatedly backtracking to new info and public reaction

While JR isn’t sus IMO, Anyone who repeatedly publicly engages during a murder investigation will draw fire

I’m as curious as anyone who this 6th roommate was who was not present- not because they are suspect, just because that is new info

Prayers for victim’s families and friends, community, school and students
IMO MOO

Last edited:
So when I started talking about this case on this forum, I started with belief that it was an ex that did this crime. Then after some time went by and the police saying they have no suspects, I suspected it was a frat member figuring they would have nailed the closest suspect by now. Then I gravitated towards a stranger/fringe friend that lives near the house.

Now, i'm thinking I might have to come full circle based off the father's latest interview.
Me too. It's the timing that sways me more to that. Kaylee was in town for one day was it? And she randomly gets murdered? Perhaps a coincidence.

Right, but police wouldn't say that it was coveted unless there was physical evidence supporting it. They aren't going to speculate on something like that simply because they couldn't find the knife. Something must have been evident on scene to suggest that. Like, for example, the 'work' product or 'craftsmanship' of the killer could have indicated it. Or, did he write an ode to it on the wall? Etc.
Sorry, I missed it. Do you have a link where LE said the knife was coveted or whatever? Thanks!

EBM: hopewell, I know you’re not the one who made the LE knife claim, but I got lost trying to get back to where it originated.

FWIW, I agree with O’Toole about it — just don’t know where/when LE stated anything like that.

Because they are going to catch this killer soon IMO

Maybe not instantly but IMHO, they might have a well-circumscribed circle of suspects. Perhaps they don't believe that any additional information would be worth the money, (but it will definitely overheat the lines - my opinion). Or maybe, LE believe that if anyone is withholding critical information, he/she should release it out of conscience, not for money.

Me too. It's the timing that sways me more to that. Kaylee was in town for one day was it? And she randomly gets murdered? Perhaps a coincidence.
I have no suspect other than maybe a transient or someone seeming totally innocuous, for instance a dishwasher at the restaurant or food delivery person who works nights and is commonly seen at all hours... perhaps someone whom people pity and engage with in demeaningly rote ways. Someone who is smarter than people think they are. Reactions to pity or just being"part of the scenery" can be decidedly ugly and can get uglier if kindness is misinterpreted as something more intimate.

A person can behave normally and yet have expanded imaginary world. The loneliness imposed by Covid was hard on everyone, but for people who already tend to spend a lot of time inside their heads, some toxic patterns could have either formed, or became fixed. It could have been the last schoolyear spent at home for some students, or working remotely for some adults. What was formed in that time might be showing itself now.
If this guy is an outsider, he could be merely attracted by pretty girls coming from more traditional families, and visiting a university town hoping for a relationship, and then suddenly "snapping" one day. If a local student, I think the previous isolation due to high school closure in 2020-2021 could have played a role. JMO, but something to think about.

There is no way one can change anything about this time, 2020-2021, but one might wonder if the generation that felt the biggest social hit, the ones who were in 11th-12th grades, might be experiencing some lack of social maturity, through no fault of theirs. JMHO, personal, as I had a senior at home during that time.
Mine were HS junior and senior during the pandemic and both were off and on back and forth from in person to school at home repeatedly- began March 2019 still happening today
Of course the deaths, quarantines, masks, distancing, and all has had an impact on their social well being, relationship maturity, germ awareness, likely it has impacted all of us

The Pandemic, by definition is a world event and also a collective human experience, something we all share from our own perspective. It isn’t like they alone had it happen while others continued to live normally
Do I see Cons/ Weaknesses in my two- Not really, the middle school years were tougher for my two and they survived and thrived through that too

What is not often mentioned are the Pros/Strengths that likely developed through the pandemic experience- maturity regarding family relationships, gratitude, focus on close friends and priorities, awareness of mortality, finding joy in simple things, taking time to slow down and reflect rather than simply go go go,

JMO/ MOO

The lease would distinguish between resident and cosigner
As all tenants are over 18 they would have to answer questions and give emergency contacts using their own personal info
Oh did CNN say 6 residents or 6 names on the lease? If a college student has a lack of credit history they need a co-signer on the lease. Not sure what age has to do with it. Possible there was a 6th roommate and they weren’t in town that fateful night.

IMO,I think that LE believes, intuits or thinks this attack is targeted. Whether or not they can prove it in a court of law is another separate issue. Trust the police- it was probably a targeted attack-they just can’t come out and say why
I have wondered whether the first group of LE at the scene decided the murders were "overkill" and therefore the work of someone passionately angry with at least one of the victims. At that point, somebody may have decided "overkill = closeness to killer = targeted rather than random". Since they wanted to reassure the community, somebody rushed to tell the MSM there was "targeting".

All of the subsequent attempts to define and/or walk back "targeted" followed from that first assumption.

The above is all MOO, obviously; I have no inside knowledge of the events in Moscow, ID.

Oh did CNN say 6 residents or 6 names on the lease? If a college student has a lack of credit history they need a co-signer on the lease. Not sure what age has to do with it. Possible there was a 6th roommate and they weren’t in town that fateful night.
I dont’ know what CNN said about it, I saw it on News Nation
The info appears to have come from a lease agreement.
Yes they are clearly saying there is a sixth roommate’s name on the lease, and that person was not present.
What we don’t know is if that person was living there at the time, or was to move in later or had already moved out and was still paying rent
What we also don’t know for certain is which room this person was renting- speculations are it is the 2nd floor room toward the hill side- east side of the house

Does it matter in the investigation? IMO it could pin down some things
If the 6th renter was renting the east 2nd floor room, and the window on the hill side was unlocked- Then the perp may have entered through the window into an unoccupied room. That unoccupied room was below what is believed to be M’s room- and both M&K May have been in that room in the same bed.
It is possible No One was in the room under where M and K were murdered- to hear noise.

JMO/ MOO

Recent article on CNN included a statement from one of the victims parents ”In the end, they all died together in the same bed”. I have linked the article below and included a screenshot (however, if I have done so incorrectly, please advise as I am having difficulty with certain formatting options on my device). Original Article

They died together in the same bed.
Did the killer find them in separate locations in the home then force them into the bed, then took their lives ?
Or were the victims already together in the bed when the killer entered the room ?

43AB9630-9838-4273-AE95-8ED971C29E06.jpeg

I'm thinking it was a person who lived near by who was on a horrible drug rampage. What is that drug that totally makes you go nuts and turn into a savage...TCP? The house is surrounded by other student apartments where I'm sure there are parties, there was no sexual attack, nothing, as far as we know left behind to tie them to anyone they knew. This was far more than a jealous rage or a spurned boyfriend. And to think that alcohol and pot were the only substances some of the kids partook of, is just niave. I also think that calling a few friends to come over first wasn't because they were young and didn't know what to do. I'm sure they were shocked and scared, but my first instinct would be to call 911 as I was running out the door!! Kids don't hang around in a house with friends wounded bodies and blood everywhere. I think this is why LE has been so closed lip...the crime scene doesn't compute or make any sense. The perp will only be determined if someone comes forward. I pray it's soon. MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenLoren