ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a peer.
Somebody that knows them but maybe distantly, like was in one of their classes.

I'm just curious as someone from Ireland, is this dominating the news cycle and nightly news?
If so, it could be a good thing as someone close to the killer like a family member might discuss it with him and notice him acting strange.

No, not at all. This is the only place I'm hearing updates - but I don't live in Idaho. I would assume it's in the news there a lot. But not our national news (what there still is of it).

Well, there's always the NYPost and Daily Mail...however you want to think of them. There are so many other killings of late that no one set of murders is getting all the press.

^5 killed in that shooting incident not long after the Idaho Murders

And those mass murders compete with other kinds of murder for our nightly attention.

Here's a targeted student murder with just 1 victim:

At nearly the same time as these Idaho killings, 3 college students in Virginia were also murdered:

They have arrested someone in the Virginia shootings, though.

took a few days break from the case because it was starting to wear on me.

after trying to catch up, im hopping back on to say that this whole intense speculation of hoodie guy at the grub bus because SG alluded to someone being cleared too soon, makes me irritated. JMO. SG not being given a gag order yet is surprising to me, but he is giving out little tidbits of knowledge it seems.

JMO

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of these subpoenas. No one subpoenas to get the whole data base. But the company would still have to use legal means to quash the subpoena - so it's in the hands of a judge, not the company (nor LE).

The subpoena is almost always just to run one person's DNA through the system, looking for a small number of hits. Before releasing the info, 23andme sends an email or other communication to the person whose results are being released. IME, if it's not the actual perp, it requires more work on the part of LE (which is easy enough to do and where people like myself come i
I think you're misunderstanding the nature of these subpoenas. No one subpoenas to get the whole data base. But the company would still have to use legal means to quash the subpoena - so it's in the hands of a judge, not the company (nor LE).

The subpoena is almost always just to run one person's DNA through the system, looking for a small number of hits. Before releasing the info, 23andme sends an email or other communication to the person whose results are being released. IME, if it's not the actual perp, it requires more work on the part of LE (which is easy enough to do and where people like myself come in).
Right. You are asking to run a sample in comparison against their entire database at that point. That’s what I mean.

If 23and me readily does that, without significant pushback and legal challenge, I would be very surprised. That’s why GEDmatch is generally preferred.

ETA sorry for the lame double quote!

They are alway available to the next of kin by written request. Next of kin can also have their own autopsy done. They must pay for it, but if your family member was a crime victim, it makes sense to have another autopsy done just to make sure nothing was missed and to get a second opinion on any questions you may have.
I wonder if that was what KG’s dad was referencing when he said “I paid for it”?

I think you're still wrong so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I take their statement of "To date we have not released any customer information to law enforcement" as pretty clear cut.

Your referenced case of Helen Prusynski was solved via GEDmatch, not 23andMe.

Okay - then my source is wrong (or yours is and they used both), What 23andme has done, though, is release genealogical information to others (their clients), who are related to the perp. That's why LE is using that method to get to the DNA connections (and still does, at both the big databases).

It's clear that going in without a subpoena results in faster results for LE - but also clear that if LE were persistent, 23andme would comply. They do not say that they haven't released information to people who aren't LE (such as people persuaded to submit to 23andme who are relatives of the suspect) .

What is the basis for the claim that KG's injuries were more severe than the others'?

When asked if SG was comparing KG's wounds to all the victims, reporter Brian Entin confirmed SG was only comparing his daughter's wounds to her best friend MM. (Assuming the families shared info with each other when the bodies were released). From the beginning, SG stated that he speaks for both KG and MM.

yes this was addressed before. she did make a post with her and the roommates which would show she was back. she also had been out and about in town since Friday and people would have known she was there/the killer if he were stalking the house would have seen she was there.
Right, what I was getting at is that, to me, it points K being the target (because of this aspect and also the nature of the injuries as reported by her father). I think that could be helpful in determining the perp, knowing that K was the target.

MOO

Thanks! Wish he'd give his source. Was it LE or the medical examiner??
IMO neither - All of Brian’s info was stated by K’s dad the night before in an interview that aired on Fox. I think K’s dad is his source. And I just want to point out that K’s dad is saying K’s wounds were worse than M’s - not worse than E & X’s wounds because he doesn’t have that info.

MOO

What I recall is that this was described as a last minute decision by K to go visit M and show her her new car. So, IF K is the primary target, then it follows the unsub either:
1. Followed K from her parents house to Moscow
I believe her parents live in Couer D'Alene. So if the unsub was following K around there, would that indicate that he is from Couer D'Alene and less linked to Moscow?
Could this be someone who has known K for a long time?

OR

2. Just so happened to choose that night to surveil the house and found out K was there by seeing her through the windows.
a. They would not have recognized her car if they have been in Moscow as it was new and had not been in Moscow before.
b. They would have only known that she stayed at that house, although she may have been gone from there for a while prior to the murders.
People on here have confirmed that her visit was on social media as well. So that includes anyone that could see her (or her friends' social media). I believe at least her Instagram is public

I'd bet the rent it's not Hoodie Guy - nor the ex, nor the person(s) who gave K and M a ride, nor anyone they met at the bar that night. IMHO, this attack was planned days or weeks ahead by a psychopathic killer. Somebody had been watching that house and its residents. I've been wrong before, but I am sticking to my intuition on this one. JMHO.
I think its an unknown too, personally.

Right. You are asking to run a sample in comparison against their entire database at that point. That’s what I mean.

If 23and me readily does that, without significant pushback and legal challenge, I would be very surprised. That’s why GEDmatch is generally preferred.

ETA sorry for the lame double quote!

No - 23andme and Ancestry don't do that. Nor to my knowledge has any LE tried to get them to do that.

Easiest workaround is to get sibling's cousin or sibling to submit to both 23andme and GEDMatch. GEDMatch doesn't do actual DNA testing, most people get it done at 23 or Ancestry then upload the results to GEDMatch, whose sole purpose is to show matches. Of course, the other two services also show matches - to the person who provided the sample (who can then share it with anyone they want).

Oh, and I was wrong about 23 - it was Ancestry who has (one time) given up data to LE (with a subpoena). In 5 cases, 23 was able to successfully argue in court that they don't have data on a sufficient number of markers to make it useful or viable info for LE.

All of these relatively quick rule-outs by LE could be indicative that they know who did this. Because part of their job is to rule-out as much as to rule-in, and announcing rule-outs so publicly could just be to stave off any "squirrel!" defenses at trial.

I hope so anyway.
If they know who did it, why no arrest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members