ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I think more than anyone here, Kaylee's family wants this solved. Unless you have had a close family member murdered (which I sincerely hope no one has), you can't put yourself in his shoes and what he thinks is right or wrong. We don't know what he has or hasn't been told, not really. We don't know additional information he's been given from other people in the community, the victims' friends, etc. If he thinks this is going to help the investigation move forward, that's what he's going to do. Unless someone has come forward to get their name cleared, sorry but I have trouble sympathizing with that person. And to those saying "maybe he has", it's clear by social media that he hasn't (other than the minimal info released by LE). I agree there shouldn't be speculation on sites like these for liability sake, but I don't really blame the dad, not really. JMO
But no one owes social media an alibi in a criminal investigation. That's between them and LE. This thing of trying and convicting complete strangers on social media is tiring. JMO

Does LE Know? Does "The Shadow" Know?

• Detectives continue investigating ... Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were believed to be at the Sigma Chi house ....
The fact that LE is still trying to figure out E&X's actions three weeks later is surprising to me... cell phone tracking and cameras everywhere....
I want to be a little mouse in the corner while LE has their morning conferences.
Snipped for focus. @gliving May I sit next to you at LE's a.m. conf?

Is it possible LE already has one or more leads/tips on their location?
Maybe LE hopes for vids of E & X at their location(wherever) or cell phone/other device activity tying them to same. IOW LE is looking for more corroborating evd, besides eyewitness stmts, re E & X's whereabouts.

Just a possibility. IDK.

From latest MPD release, December 5:

Detectives continue investigating what occurred from approximately 9 p.m. on November 12th to 1:45 a.m. on November 13th, when Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were believed to be at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. Any interactions, contacts, direction and method of travel, or anything abnormal could add context to what occurred.

Hmm, I was sure they seemed certain X & E were at the party for several hours until returning home around 1:45am? Perhaps I misread this at the beginning of the case.
I find this very interesting. Imo.

Nope. But I don’t think an attorney would provide any different counsel than I did ;)
I think there's a difference between what is "right" here in terms of how we all *think* people should be acting - the victims' families, surviving roommates, friends, people cleared, etc. but the reality is we are all human and people are going to say and do what they want to, especially when emotions are heightened. I think that is where the clues lie in this, not what someone "should" or shouldn't do legally. IMO opinion it's about what is normal behavior in this type of situation if you're accused and you knew the victims. Or were simply accused. How would you communicate with their families, or not? What would a reasonable person do? Food for thought/JMO

Also I am an attorney IRL ;)

Last edited:
The location and time of this incident makes it stand out to me.

MPD Press Log 11/13/2022
22-M09896 Alcohol Offense
Incident Address: TAYLOR AVE; Band Field
MOSCOW ID 83843
Disposition: ACT
Time Reported: 03:01
Cad Comments:
Officer requested a case. Report taken.

MPD Press Log 11/13/2022

That call is addressed in the news release from the MPD.
They have stated it is not related, and all information from that call can be requested from their office for any further details.

I came across this on the MPD Blotter:

22-M10172 Citizen Assist
Incident Address: W PULLMAN RD; WINCO
MOSCOW ID 83843
Time Reported: 17:00
Cad Comments:
RP was wondering if an officer can pass by the bus stop to see if their purse is
there. Officer responded. No report.

I live in a huge city. I just thought that was cool. :cool:

Yep, I'm one of those who wants to know where the survivors were during the night. If the survivors were out, when did they come home? I think it's just as important as the question of "if X&E were alone". Also, who put the dog in the empty room? I think the survivors could at the very least know what was the normal routine with where the dog slept.
Good news - MPD releases daily updates that directly answer at least one of your questions.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm one of those who wants to know where the survivors were during the night. If the survivors were out, when did they come home? I think it's just as important as the question of "if X&E were alone". Also, who put the dog in the empty room? I think the survivors could at the very least know what was the normal routine with where the dog slept.
I am beginning to think Murphy is more important than we think.

Knowing it, and being able to prove it, are two different things. It is very common to know who is responsible for something. The difficult part is getting the evidence that connects the person to the act, so that a jury has no reasonable doubt that the person is responsible. Remember, LE wants to not just find the person, but to have the person found guilty by a jury, so that the victims are given justice. LE will not usually arrest until they have evidence connecting the person with the crime, and the District Attorney has signed off on prosecuting the person based on that evidence. MOO.
I agree- and also, when this case goes to trial, it will very likely be a death penalty case, so it is even more important that they take as much time as necessary to have a successful prosecution. I live in a small town a couple hours from Moscow, and a few years ago a co-worker of mine was charged with first- degree capital murder in the death of her boyfriend's child, in that case, which was certainly far more straightforward, it took two months for an arrest to be made.

The location and time of this incident makes it stand out to me.

MPD Press Log 11/13/2022
22-M09896 Alcohol Offense
Incident Address: TAYLOR AVE; Band Field
MOSCOW ID 83843
Time Reported: 03:01
Cad Comments:
Officer requested a case. Report taken.

MPD Press Log 11/13/2022

Rumor control: • There has been extensive media interest regarding an incident at Taylor Avenue and Band Field on November 13, 2022, at 3:01 a.m. This incident was an alcohol offense which was addressed by the on-scene officer. This call is not related to the murder investigations. For further details regarding this incident, a Moscow Police Department

I am beginning to think Murphy is more important than we think.

That's your conclusion even after today's update?
12-05-22-Moscow-Homicide-Update
There have been numerous requests about the dog found at the residence on the morning of November 13th. Arriving officers entered the residence and found the deceased victims. During the search of the home, a dog was found in a room where the crimes had not been committed. Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene. The dog was taken to Animal Services and released to a responsible person.

While the dog was in the house when officers arrived, it has not been determined where the dog was physically located when the murders took place.

Didn’t Kaylee work at a restaurant? Disgruntled coworker? A cook or waiter who tried to date her and she turned him down? A regular patron of the establishment who became fixated? Scan every security camera in the months leading up to the killing. This guy would have frequently shown up to the restaurant, perhaps even circling the parking lot without entering to be close to his subject. This killer thought long and hard about this crime. This was not random. The personality will be very prone to violence or extremely socially awkward.

Don’t forget the big home game! There was also a big game at WSU (X’s sister attends there), so who knows?

Also, thought the formal was Friday? Can anyone please clarify?

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member