ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Chapin’s last day was spent accompanying his sister Maizie to her sorority formal. The freshman was usually with his girlfriend Kernodle, a junior studying marketing, and reveling in the pair’s growing relationship.

The three 20-year-old siblings attended a dance hosted by Ethan’s sister Maizie’s sorority earlier on the night Ethan was killed.
tyvm :)

I can't keep up. However, i believe SG has a suspect in mind. He's frustrated that LE won't release the details so someone can come forward and corroborate his beliefs.
Earlier everyone was trying to comprehend what he said. A simpleton like me took it as, he didn't have to go up the stairs....meaning the target was on the 3rd floor and not the 2nd. Otherwise, why would have they gone up and not down? But also said, they don't have to run it up the steps. In regards to that, meaning an investigator not willing to release info without going up the latter.
Again, I think he has a suspect in his head and is frustrated that LE isn't pursuing it based on his purview.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Informed minds may keep loose lips shut but there’s no guarantee. And as frequently as BG has spoken to the press IMO he’d be less inclined to silence than some. I appreciate he’s experiencing unprecidented pain for which there is no playbook but he could possibly impede the investigation and/or jeopardize a conviction without intending to.

In most cases I’m sure it’s very difficult for LE to hold info back from the family, and even harder here when faced with the accusations and insinuations made by BG. But I believe they are making progress and their unwillingness to share info is driven by their committment to identfy, catch and convict the perpetrator(s). And that is exactly the way it should be IMO.
I agree.
But I believe if they just met him where he is and any other parents who have concerns and slowly and gently explained the process and why they are where they are that the families would feel heard and reassured.
Everybody wants the same thing and because we are discussing grieving families their needs are different, greater in many ways.
LE understands this.
LE are doing an absolutely splendid job in keeping this tight, not a single leak.

People do not understand the dynamics at play in a murder investigation. How can they until they are thrust in the hot seat?
Just a little time..
Is all.

If LE would do just one thing, we could reduce posts by 1/3 or more.

Just tell us where Murphy was during commission of the crime & after if they know (and methinks they do).

Is there a more famous mini golden doodle? So happy he wasn't harmed.

Woof Woof
:p:Do_O
Thankfully we know now.

But honestly (not at all aimed at you btw) you know what else would IMO, if people at least skimmed threads. I know people are time poor and threads move fast but even reading the latest news articles would help answer majority of questions repetitiously posted.

Ethan Chapin’s last day was spent accompanying his sister Maizie to her sorority formal. The freshman was usually with his girlfriend Kernodle, a junior studying marketing, and reveling in the pair’s growing relationship.

The three 20-year-old siblings attended a dance hosted by Ethan’s sister Maizie’s sorority earlier on the night Ethan was killed.
This is confusing....
The football game ended at 7:09 pm....
I wonder what time the sorority held their dance??

Would they hold their dance during the football game?

The timeline from LE doesn't quite match up?
If the dance was scheduled after the game, what time did it start?

College football games usually involve huge amts of traffic and scheduled activities afterward are challenging.

Usually after-game events are informal events due to time constraints etc. (And often students attending after-game events have been drinking prior, so I find it odd that a sorority would hold a formal right after/during a football game) MOO

Detectives continue investigating what occurred from approximately 9 p.m. on November 12th to 1:45 a.m. on November 13th, when Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were believed to be at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. Any interactions, contacts, direction and method of travel, or anything abnormal could add context to what occurred. King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

fbclid=IwAR10NtiaBLROmvog4glZ7YyMyfWfW-Y-v1gYIPGG-TEVZLpO-Oqaq-grTG4
2022 Football Schedule - University of Idaho Athletics Duration 3:09 hours
UC Davis Logo

Nov 12 (Sat) 4 p.m.
Big Sky
vs
UC Davis
Hero's Weekend/Senior Day
Moscow, Idaho Kibbie-ASUI Activity Center
SWX/ESPN+ Radio: Idaho Vandal Radio Network
L, 26-44

Last edited:
I am surprised that LE still is asking for more on X&E’s night. I would think that they would know more if the two were out and about with others, as people would have come forward to fill in the timeline. Maybe they truly were at home most of the evening (shouldn’t their cell phones/house router confirm that?), and stepped out to get food etc. They could have been spotted on the same camera as M&K when they returned, but no footage leaving. I wonder if they came and went through the sliders earlier in the evening, and went in a direction that had no cameras.

Last edited:
Me too. Not only did he not kill the dog, he may have taken the time to seclude the dog and keep it away from the crime scene (by possibly putting Murphy in another room.) I think this could be a hint about the perp and an indication that he isn’t a random serial killer.

I find it hard to believe that the dog wasn’t physically with Kaylee and Maddie that night. We know that Murphy was taken out when the girls came home (as per the Ring video discovered by Kaylee’s sister.) I believe Murphy was hanging with the 3rd floor girls throughout the night.

I also think the dog’s breed could explain his potential behavior. I know several “doodles” and in my experience they are typically calm, friendly, non-barkers. This includes when non-residents enter a house when the residents/owners are not present. They are known for their temperaments and for being great with kids. They are not known for being guard dogs or even “alerters.”

JMO but I feel the details surrounding the dog - being unharmed and secluded - could be telling in regards to the killer.
Interestingly enough, not all serial murderers dislike dogs or other animals.

I understand that Murphy wasn’t the offender’s animal, but some criminals, including serial killers, operate within a specific code of conduct and could even find it offensive to their irrational sensibilities to harm an animal but then rationalize it’s “ok” in their mind to murder 4 people.

I’m not sure how much can be gleaned from Murphy’s survival unless we really know if he was crated/put away by one the girls before they went to sleep, or he was allowed to roam free, or if there is evidence he was sequestered by the killer… We just don’t know. Maybe the killer didn’t know he was in a kennel and/or he just didn’t care to pull him out to kill him too, for whatever reason. Maybe the dog hid in the room he was in and was scared to death.

There are way too many variables to account for this without knowing the actual facts.

By all accounts given by KG’s family, Murphy is young (7 months) and very friendly and he was in a different room than the killings. That’s all we know really.

And the killer also left 2 survivors downstairs as well.

I don’t personally think he knew they were there, or cared they were there, or they locked their doors before they went to sleep.

Maybe the killer just didn’t know Murphy existed and that’s why he lived: and not for any other reason. Or not. We don’t know.

I agree.
But I believe if they just met him where he is and any other parents who have concerns and slowly and gently explained the process and why they are where they are that the families would feel heard and reassured.
Everybody wants the same thing and because we are discussing grieving families their needs are different, greater in many ways.
LE understands this.
LE are doing an absolutely splendid job in keeping this tight, not a single leak.

People do not understand the dynamics at play in a murder investigation. How can they until they are thrust in the hot seat?
Just a little time..
Is all.
Is it known that LE hasn’t tried to talk to him, hasn’t explained the process to him?

yeah the way im taking the guys who were on film... they were just guys trying to pick up girls and unfortunately were not very good at it. Backed out/got scared something like that. to me this means nothing and happens constantly especially in a digital age where people dont really get asked on dates unless its through an app.
Huh? I thought kaylee did work at the Greek restaurant?

The coroner said the victims were likely sleeping when they died. But an autopsy wouldn’t be able to determine if you died while sleeping, or would it? I’m guessing in this case that was determined based on where the victims were found?

X’s father said she had defensive wounds so it’s questionable if X was still sort of asleep & those wounds were just reflexive - or was she awake. I guess the severity of the wounds could tell that story? A lot of wounds could mean most likely awake?

MOO
I think that was to comfort the families. "Likely sleeping when died?". "Likely sleeping when attacked?" No scientific validity, imo. I'll just leave it at that.

Formal was likely not on November 12th.

November 12th was the last home football game.
The game started at 4 pm

Doubt if a formal was held after the last home game.
And the formal was hosted by his sister’s sorority so I doubt it was at the Sigma Chi house. Ethan and Xana must have been there after he got done with the dance.

“He was our our daughter Maizie’s date, and his brother was Maizie’s roommates date,” Chapin’s mother, Stacy Chapin, said in an interview Wednesday. The group was attending a dance hosted by Maizie’s sorority. “They all spent their last day together, all dressed up, and had a great time. We’re all thankful that they spent that time together.”

Do we know when Murphy got there? Did he come with with K? Did he get dropped off since ex was in town? Just curious if it’s been mentioned.

If they know who did it, why no arrest?
Knowing it, and being able to prove it, are two different things. It is very common to know who is responsible for something. The difficult part is getting the evidence that connects the person to the act, so that a jury has no reasonable doubt that the person is responsible. Remember, LE wants to not just find the person, but to have the person found guilty by a jury, so that the victims are given justice. LE will not usually arrest until they have evidence connecting the person with the crime, and the District Attorney has signed off on prosecuting the person based on that evidence. MOO.

Thoughts on "Comfort Zones"?
e.g. BTK's "comfort zone": Serial killers and their comfort zones.

More on comfort zones:
Night Stalker Growing Up in L.A. During the Reign of the Night Stalker
Night Stalker Bundy Ted Bundy: Could his killing spree have been stopped cold in Colorado?

And the formal was hosted by his sister’s sorority so I doubt it was at the Sigma Chi house. Ethan and Xana must have been there after he got done with the dance.

“He was our our daughter Maizie’s date, and his brother was Maizie’s roommates date,” Chapin’s mother, Stacy Chapin, said in an interview Wednesday. The group was attending a dance hosted by Maizie’s sorority. “They all spent their last day together, all dressed up, and had a great time. We’re all thankful that they spent that time together.”

Didn't earlier reports say the dance with Maizie was on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member