ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could say that about any serial killer. My point was this seems more thought out and would suggest training and skill with the weapon and the same planning to not leave dna. Someone with low intelligence could do that much. I wasn't giving him any credit. Just staying facts. Seems like a lot of crimes go wrong and not the way people planned.
IMO He didn't leave a bloody trail to the nearest dumpster where he tossed the murder weapon. The locals are going to need to step up with some tips as LE may not have a lot of physical evidence. If it was that easy he would have been caught by now.
Why assume the killer left no DNA?

So working theory is he entered the house in street clothes (can’t be seen outdoors in a hazmat suit, and college kids are up at all hours of the night outside)? Entered in whatever way he did, and then suited up? Would he cast off DNA during that process? Afterward, would investigators be able to discern where he got out of the suit, by droplets or DNA or some means? Maybe I watch too much CSI.
What if instead of suiting up he suited down. Removed his clothes, committed this atrocious act, showered after and redressed in say a jumpsuit type garment and stuffed his bloody sock in his pocket.

unless he waited around until blood pooled and walked through it then there is a fair chance he would have no blood on his shoes. I lean to just no one saw him after the fact and theres no blood mystery at all.

and what is to stop him grabbing a damp towel from the house, giving himself a very basic clean- up including his soles, putting his overcoat back on and then leaving with that towel ( along with his weapon, in a bag from the scene)
Leaves at 3-4am in the dark before - possibly- walking to where a car is parked?

Has this story been covered by Dateline, 48 Hours or 20/20 (or these type of shows)? If so what date, I'd love find and watch tonight.

The University of Idaho-Moscow had a home football game the weekend of the murders. They played UC-Davis on 11/12. The murders were committed in the early morning hours of 11/13. The game's theme was 'Hero's Weekend/Senior Day'.

Their stadium has capacity for 16,000 people. Just mentioning because I'm assuming there were a number of out-of-town people there to attend the game that weekend.

Might it be connected? I don't know.

JMO

Last edited:
Agreed. I keep wondering what this person actually wore. I'm going with the mask/ski mask theory, but I wonder if he also had some kind of visor or helmet?

And my big curiosity is what light source he had? Were the lights still on in the kitchen so that light would have spilled into X's room? Or was it dark? Surely it was dark up on the 3rd floor? My visor theory doesn't work if he didn't have a light source.

I believe he wore gloves, obviously, and keep pondering whether there would be trace DNA on the bottom of his shoes (probably very little but could be some). I worry that the coroner (who said she'd never had knifing victims before, I believe) didn't dissect the wounds in a manner consistent with trying to find small amounts of stranger DNA (and the process isn't always successful nor is it necessarily well known).

I now believe (after reading media thread) that E and X were living together at the house, so it could have been known to the perp that a man was inside frequently, at night. But to enter a dark room with two people, a man and a woman, without being able to see well enough to figure out their orientation and place in the room, is really audacious.

At any rate, this killer took his clothes and his weapon with him, when he left. IMO.
just re bit in bold

because of the co-mingling issues I was surprised that cremations happened so quickly.
Apparently the actual pathologist at Spokane is highly thought of but it's not as if any FBI/ISP forensic scientist can go back and do a double check on wounds of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th victims.

and what is to stop him grabbing a damp towel from the house, giving himself a very basic clean- up including his soles, putting his overcoat back on and then leaving with that towel ( along with his weapon, in a bag from the scene)
Leaves at 3-4am in the dark before - possibly- walking to where a car is parked?
he could have but people have also driven cross country in the US covered in blood with severed heads beside them and no one noticed. So far i have no reason at all to think there was no DNA evidence, i have no reason to think there was any elaborate means of concealment. Since i have no real reason to think that at all i'm thinking it was the middle of the night and no one saw him.

(Snipped by me) One additional thought: if you lived in a “communal” house like this where several people live, and assuming you were awake - would you think anything was out of the ordinary if you heard footsteps (or even a thud) on the floor above you at any given time of the day? Even at 4am? I sure wouldn’t. I’d think of a million other reasons before “someone is murdering my housemate” even entered my mind.

moo.
I lived in a very 'social' shared house in university. The year I had my finals, I usually went to bed earlier than my other housemates who didn't have exams, and honestly no kind of noise would have alarmed me. I slept through it all. I sometimes used to even wake up when visitors looking for the bathroom stumbled into my room by accident. I groggily gave them directions to find it and went straight back to sleep. Thought nothing of it.

College is a different universe and mindset. I would not be ok with that set-up now but back then it seemed normal and, weird as it sounds, non-threatening and fun in a chaotic kind of way. I would not be remotely surprised if the surviving roommates had zero idea what was going on in the rest of the house, as they were conditioned to comings and goings at all hours, between roommates arriving home and various boyfriends and friends on any given night. Assuming they could hear anything from upstairs, considering what a previous tenant said about how noise travelled poorly in that house. And factor in earbuds, which I did not have, and none of it surprises me that the downstairs roommates seemed to notice nothing or very little during the time of the attacks.

I don't think they know if it was a personal targeted attack, meaning that it is someone that people knew that lived there, or just a random attack with ample opportunity.
I just notice the document's date is Dec 8 but it is indeed Dec 9th report.

The University of Idaho-Moscow had a home football game the weekend of the murders. They played UC-Davis on 11/12. The murders were committed in the early morning hours of 11/13. The game's theme was 'Hero's Weekend/Senior Day'.

Their stadium has capacity for 16,000 people. Just mentioning because I'm assuming there were a number of out-of-town people there to attend the game that weekend.

Might it be connected? I don't know.

JMO
I think it is relevant in that locals would not have been as aware of strangers since they very likely knew about the game and the influx of out-of-towners. That being said, the possibility exists that the crime was committed when it was PRECISELY for this reason. It was easier to stay under the radar that weekend. MOO

If I’m half drunk, fully asleep and on my stomach, all it would take is someone grabbing my hair to lift my head up and severing my carotid artery. I’d be dead in less than a minute. I wouldn’t stand a chance and would never know what hit me. I’d basically bleed out into the mattress.

Fwiw, I think this crime was swift and efficient.

moo.
Keep in mind, the killer managed to kill in PAIRS, which would require killing TWO almost simultaneously. Initially attacking the first victim would almost certainly awaken the one lying next to them (even if drunk). ALL THIS, without alerting the subsequent PAIR on a different floor! I find this scenario almost impossible to accomplish without an extended attack, yet it was apparently done very swiftly and efficiently...covering TWO separate rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine