ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has never been conclusively confirmed, but Dick Hickock and Perry Smith (the killers who slaughtered the Clutter family in In Cold Blood) have long been the prime suspects in another family mass murder (the Walkers in Florida a few weeks later). They strenuously denied involvement and recent DNA testing has been inconclusive, but the Florida police have said they still consider Hickock and Smith the most likely candidates for it.
And so they have friends in Idaho ? Hey guys, I have great idea to do tonight back from when I lived in Florida

Then what are they asking the public for? LE has way more resources for figuring out where these white Hyundais are registered.

We, the public, do not. It is a bit disturbing that LE thinks the general public will listen to the details. The impetus to people risking their lives by trying to stop or detain someone in an Elantra could be a concern.
Obviously, I agree. I think the LE has a white Elantra with plates that don't match the vehicle, and now they are at the end of options to determine who might be driving one. If the killer drove for any number of miles in that car, they had to get gas (that would be stupid, but criminals are not always brain trusts). Maybe someone saw them on the road? maybe someone saw them in Moscow? but pretty sure that if LE didn't have to ask, they wouldn't IMO. too much risk, not enough reward, and the sheer number of crazy leads.

I feel like if the police have good footage of the car they should release at least a still shot or two of it. There may be some identifying characteristics that are unique to it that others may recognize. Things that were either put there by the person who owns it and/or prior owners, or if it is a Canadian car there are oft-subtle differences between US-spec and Canadian-spec cars.

My opinion.
I've been wondering about that. It seems to me that what they have might be someone's personal tip and maybe image(s). Like a selfie with the car in the background, or a picture in a place where the car was for a while, but then wasn't after the murders. Of course, that person could have just gone home if they came from elsewhere. But that they aren't releasing it makes it seem like there is something in what they have that has something else they don't want to share.

That car. That's what I keep coming back to as the key. Maybe I just need sleep.

No its not, it's a calculated walk into a house with a big knife to attack four people.
A ferocious messy crime inside a house where dna is essentially captured and less likely to be corrupted by weather
The perpetrator is more likely to release their DNA and have blood and other dna on themself

That's some gall AIMOO

At such high risk of being thwarted / outnumbered / overpowered / disarmed / attacked by dog and yet here we are. I was raised by a military trained parent who taught me you never use a weapon unless you’re absolutely certain it won’t be taken off you and used against you. Maybe that’s a big clue ~ this person is a hunter and a butcher, not military, LE, or martial arts trained, no way.

Did they keep the empty bedroom (second floor) locked?

Did Kaylee keep her unused bedroom locked?

I know so many scenarios have been speculated over and over, (so sorry if this has been asked already)but I don't remember hearing anything about the 2 empty rooms... and could he have been waiting in there until he thought everyone fell asleep?
Don't know

Don't know

It's possible but unlikely (IMO)

We all want to feel safe. And for us oldies, who remember safer times, the world can seem shocking. And for parents, especially of college kids, this is so threatening.
But the police can't be concerned with that now. It just can't be a priority.
SG , in his grief, has demonstrated his inability not to interfere and make statements IMO detrimental to the case. He is suffering and it's completely understandable. But releasing info is not the answer. Nothing about the actual suspects until an arrest is imminent should be disclosed.
But the one thing college kids and society does not get: College campuses are not safer than real life. The very nature of colleges in and around urban living, transient population, or isolated, rural areas brings crimes. The drinking and partying..no moral judgement..leaves kids more vulnerable. Not to mention, forgetting to lock doors. And the false sense that we all had as kids .. nothing bad can happen.
Coupled with social media footprints laying out movements and schedules, kids don't realize they can be handing someone a blueprint of their life.
None of this makes it ever a victims fault, but it's a matter of reducing your chances of being a victim..
I’m an oldie that remembers Son of Sam. In some ways we were the same as young kids now. We wanted to go out and have a great time and keep on living our lives, even though we knew he was out there, literally close by, killing people just like us.

Now the madmen can watch what we do and where we are all the time, cause we put it out there for them to see. People post their wonderful vacations online while they are happening, letting the world know their homes are unoccupied. People tag bars in their posts, go live from easily recognizable locations. It’s a heck of a lot easier for bad people to find us.

It has never been conclusively confirmed, but Dick Hickock and Perry Smith (the killers who slaughtered the Clutter family in In Cold Blood) have long been the prime suspects in another family mass murder (the Walkers in Florida a few weeks later). They strenuously denied involvement and recent DNA testing has been inconclusive, but the Florida police have said they still consider Hickock and Smith the most likely candidates for it.

Thank you so much Zella. I really need to revisit In Cold Blood for the psychology of it. I did not know about the connection to the Walkers - amazing!

It is clearly exceedingly rare - and involves 2 killers. Hmmm. Makes me hopeful this is a one-off.

Fentanyl? And meth? Imo

Fentanyl the instant death/coma drug? Nope.

Meth. Maybe. But too carefully thought through, IMO.

Last edited:
Personally still going with someone who felt slighted in the hours or days leading up to it, went after one individual, and the rest unfolded as it did. I personally don’t think it’s nearly as much of a skilled feat as others seem to, nor necessarily requiring as much training and forethought as has been suggested. Obviously just my own wild guess.
I agree with you. And I'm not convinced that Kaylee was the target...FYI.
I think someone felt slighted by someone in this house. None of victims might have even known he/she existed.
Someone might have said something to him in passing that struck him wrong.
Neither Ethan or Kaylee were supposed to have been there so it turned into a bigger job than originally planned.
Then by the time LE was called he/she was right back to their normal life.JMO

I agree, from ear!y on I thought serial killer.

Yes, I do believe it was easy to kill the sleeping victims based on a funny personal experience that just keep popping into my head . Please no disrespect intended.
My GD was at a sleep over with 9 of her besties. She woke up, couldn't sleep, grabbed the water based marker and drew beautiful designs on her besties face. That gave her confidence to move on to the next one, and the next. After painting 9, she did her own, and went to sleep. It was afternoon before she fessed up, no one could believe, she did it, she's usually so perfect. Yea, she said she had more confidence with each one she wouldn't get caught. When she tells the story, I can see the excitement , the gleam in her eye...and she's always been the perfect one. (Just got her first college acceptance letter into forensic science and she loved WS)

I can see a killer having an easy kill, little or no resistance, gaining confidence and moving on to the next.

Its the thrill of success.
And a whacked sense of self entitlement

I suspect the Elantra data can be reduced significantly.

If they (only) search for 2011-13 White Hyundai Elantra’s registered in 5 contiguous states, let’s say, that eliminates roughly 90% of the White Elantras in the US.

Gender and age to test for winners

Test with the university car parking database

Sprinkle in some metadata and the dinner is done

I agree with you. And I'm not convinced that Kaylee was the target...FYI.
I think someone felt slighted by someone in this house. None of victims might have even known he/she existed.
Someone might have said something to him in passing that struck him wrong.
Neither Ethan or Kaylee were supposed to have been there so it turned into a bigger job than originally planned.
Then by the time LE was called he/she was right back to their normal life.JMO

So Maddie and Xana were lesee's along with the other two on the ground floor? Imo

"At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road."

If Xana and Ethan were the target, would they not have been murdered earlier prior Maddie and Kaylee's return home?

Im pondering Maddie the primary target?

Last edited by a moderator:
New. New PIO.
Where did she come from?
Looks like some history with the Idaho Dept of Lands and was quoted as California Inter Agency PIO in July.

Could you clarify for me, I saw an interview early on showing investigators on a slope near MM's room and a jacket on the ground. Tonight someone posted a picture by the fire hydrant. Which one are we talking about?
Try this link to see the video.

In the white Hyundai Police release / announcement, they request info from anyone seeing it in the early morning hours of November 13th AND the days preceding the murders.

Notably, they don’t mention after the Murders.

-

Then what are they asking the public for? LE has way more resources for figuring out where these white Hyundais are registered.

We, the public, do not. It is a bit disturbing that LE thinks the general public will listen to the details. The impetus to people risking their lives by trying to stop or detain someone in an Elantra could be a concern.
It is a weird situation for them to be so specific about the make model year and color but needing to enlist the publics help. I can however see a car being registered in a place like Massachusetts that belongs to a student on campus. That would make a records search difficult to pinpoint. Perhaps that's why they are asking for public assistance in locating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member