ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kind of curious about what peoples thoughts are regarding the murder, or murders in this case.

1. Do you believe they are local and are still in the area? (Considering college students as locals)
2. Local but no longer in the area?
3. Transient (Passing thru)?
4. From out of town and came to Moscow for this specific purpose?
I’m going to go with semi-transient, as in someone brought to the area for work or a hobby as another posted suggested further back. I like the idea of someone in town for maybe a month maximum with the purpose of blue collar work/interest who saw one/all of the occupants and cases the place out in the lead up to the murder. I think this could fit with LE wording around the Hyundai being in the area in the days prior and day of the murder so.

My opinion.

The observation of 1122 match the date the murders were committed is interesting.

I would like to know what circumstances led to the house not hosting a party that evening.

If it is common to not host a party the weekend before Thanksgiving then that can be known for many years.

If a particular communication went out to announce no partying that weekend, then those directly and indirectly would become aware of the opportunity.

I believe it is important to know why the party routine may have been interrupted ?

Who sets the status quote in the home for engaging a party ?

Who had access to the sentiment that a party occur.

How much time did the suspect have to become aware, prepare, and act ? Was it weeks, days, or hrs ?

All occupants of the home had not been there in the evening and returned early morning.

So, why are there no reports of friends just popping in and out all night ? Something modified the group behavior.

Who knew this ?

How would someone know that 3:30 to 4 AM would be a good time to act ?

Reports of persons scouting (perhaps that is where the white car comes in) they may wait for lights to turn off.

If they were in the house, how would they know when to act when everyone was asleep.

A lot of questions
I'm wondering whether there was no party at the house because there was a party at Sigma Chi. (Hadn't there also just been a formal dance at one of the sororities?) Maybe the students at 1122 wouldn't have a party that would conflict with the fraternity's party...

Whether by knowing some of the roommates or by just watching the house, the killer(s) might have known there was no party that night. Either way, the roommates returned quite late, so if the killer was waiting outside & watching the house, they would have had a long cold wait. Or maybe they followed some of the roommates home.

JMO

I’m an oldie that remembers Son of Sam. In some ways we were the same as young kids now. We wanted to go out and have a great time and keep on living our lives, even though we knew he was out there, literally close by, killing people just like us.

Now the madmen can watch what we do and where we are all the time, cause we put it out there for them to see. People post their wonderful vacations online while they are happening, letting the world know their homes are unoccupied. People tag bars in their posts, go live from easily recognizable locations. It’s a heck of a lot easier for bad people to find us.

I thought of him too and the Zodiac Killer, where couples are targeted.

These threads have been moving to fast for me to know if this has been mentioned, but maybe it was easier for Ethan to be the target at the girls house than at the fraternity.
I personally don’t think Ethan was the target but that house would’ve absolutely been the ideal place to get to him if he was, you’re right.

Last edited:
Mass Stabbing Study: Summary
“America experiences an average of 2.5 mass stabbings per year. 90% of offenders are male, and 83% are adults. Neither substance abuse history nor criminal history was widely reported as being present. Few were recorded as having known affiliations with terrorist organizations; there were more lone actors than terror group affiliates, but relatively few of either."

APA PsycNet
Only 2.5 ?

At such high risk of being thwarted / outnumbered / overpowered / disarmed / attacked by dog and yet here we are. I was raised by a military trained parent who taught me you never use a weapon unless you’re absolutely certain it won’t be taken off you and used against you. Maybe that’s a big clue ~ this person is a hunter and a butcher, not military, LE, or martial arts trained, no way.
The fact that an edged weapon was used in the murders does not rule out the possibility that another weapon was also used/ or available in case the victims were able to try to overpower the attacker.

The levels of audacity, calculation, depravity, psychopathology, and utter strength it takes to systematically reap four people in their beds on a Saturday night at 3AM with nary a peep and without enough evidence to be caught virtually immediately afterwards, are a bit greater in both scope and magnitude than some impulsive revenge kill, aggrieved incel, 90lb Instagram 'hunter' posing with Daddy's kills, or ex-lover's quibble. Every reputable profiler I have seen regarding this case agrees the MO fits a likely serial killer.

My opinion.
Yesss!!! I have come to this very same conclusion as well about this: "The levels of audacity, calculation, depravity, psychopathology, and utter strength it takes to systematically reap four people in their beds on a Saturday night at 3AM with nary a peep and without enough evidence to be caught virtually immediately afterwards"

However, my conclusion is not that this is a serial killer, but that this was the work of more than 1 assailant (i.e., a targeted hit) OR the victims were somehow capacitated before hand, i.e., drugged, roofied, gassed.

I really hope this isnt going to be an abby and libby situation where it takes nearly 6 years for them to find a suspect who was hiding in plain sight
I hope it’s not an Elizabeth and Lyric situation, no further along than they were the first day, 10.5 years later. That case brought me to Websleuths and I live in Iowa, so it is one of those cases for me. I think having that still being unsolved, for me, makes me nervous that I’ll still be hanging onto another case 10 years from now, just waiting for answers.

Genealogical DNA research would be the top answer. If they do have DNA, they can run it through GEDMatch and find a few relatives (maybe 4-5 generations ago). Then using genealogical techniques, they can create a list of possible living suspects.
They probably would find relatives in the perps current generation, first cousins as well as aunts, uncles - anyone that is related genetically to the perp that has take a DNA test with the testing companies. I was able to find my husband's biological parents through matches at ancestry.com. I've also connected other people with unknown parents or siblings.

The fact that an edged weapon was used in the murders does not rule out the possibility that another weapon was also used/ or available in case the victims were able to try to overpower the attacker.

good point about multiple weaponry use! Tazer? Chloroform? Some kind of gas or drug?

edit ~ above response noted, only one weapon

Obviously, I agree. I think the LE has a white Elantra with plates that don't match the vehicle, and now they are at the end of options to determine who might be driving one. If the killer drove for any number of miles in that car, they had to get gas (that would be stupid, but criminals are not always brain trusts). Maybe someone saw them on the road? maybe someone saw them in Moscow? but pretty sure that if LE didn't have to ask, they wouldn't IMO. too much risk, not enough reward, and the sheer number of crazy leads.

Yes, I think you are onto something (there are other criminal events going on behind the main crime here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02