ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True but these were sleeping people. Now I just thought of something:
This guy may not have needed lights on if he was using military type night goggles. Been readily available for many years now.
Is this the first time that's been mentioned?
All along I've thought this could have been a military/intel agency/special ops/martial ops trained guy.
My opinion.
Looking at photos of the house in the girls’ social media, coupled with photos of the investigators inside the house at various times at night, it looks like they had fairy lights, light strips and neon signs plugged in throughout the house. Plenty of ambient light for the killer to see. I’m assuming investigators leave everything exactly as-is while collecting evidence (except for turning on the main lights in the rooms to be able to see). And I don’t think police would have plugged them in/turned them on for lighting during their investigation - they don’t give off very much light that would help.

Thank you for posting this. I have another general question. In a case with multiple victims (in any case, not necessarily just this one) does LE generally treat the entire crime scene as one scene, or is the location of each victim considered to be a separate crime scene with different investigators for each victim? Or does it vary from LE agency to LE agency (i.e. how a police department in PA treats it may be different than a police department in FL?)
In a case like this, you have the main crime scene, the house, the intermediate crime scene, the room(s) where the killing took place, and then the intimate crime scene(s), those areas directly adjacent to and on the bodies. You have to look at the totality of the circumstance and then zoom in for the minute detail to determine what makes each individual victim different or the same as another, i.e. type and number of wounds, weapon used, placement of the body, etc. Your investigators who are specially trained in crime scene analysis and forensics recovery will be charged with this part of the investigation.
Next, an investigator or team would be assigned to each victim to develop background information to determine if he or she had anyone in their life who may be responsible for the homicide, ex bf or gf, stalker, workplace issues, neighbor, competitor. Had they received threats? Were they outspoken on any controversial matters? Investigators compare notes. What do the victims have in common? What are their main differences?
This is generally how a case like this would be investigated. Obviously the size of the agency influences their training and expertise and budget, but state and federal agencies are more than willing to assist in these cases.

<modsnip - rumor>

"At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting."

Material facts:

Could not see the two persons on the ground floor? Or had to come back down which was too much risk? Risk that police already called? Time was passing.

AIMOO
That's what I' m saying or implying. The house was targeted for killing whoever was there and perp may have observed for some time or been in house?. All for maximum effect as it was a soft target house and all asleep and inebriated. With this theory there woulldn't be a personal grudge type thing. Just a possibility that I mull lover. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
If that was the case, wouldn't it be much simpler for LE to share the plate number that doesn't match?

I don't understand the desire to read between the lines of official news releases for some hidden meaning. The statements seem pretty straight forward to me, so why not take MPD at their word? They're "interested in speaking with the occupant(s) of a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, with an unknown license plate".
LE can't really share a random license plate unless it's sure it's tied to the crime. If the plates were stolen and don't matched the car, they can trace the plates.
So I don't think that's the issue. This just sounds like the plates were covered, missing or not visible.

It's starting to sound like a serial killer to me, especially after the most recent release from LE reminding public to stay vigilant and in groups (and my goofy self questioning that with 'you mean in groups of six or more, right? I mean if there's a pattern and a want to avoid a pattern').

All that man-power would've solved a domestic dispute or neighbor dispute, by now. Therefore, I'm really starting to think it's waaay bigger than that.

Strictly my own speculation and opinion.
I totally agree with you. It seems like the police were very quick to say that the Oregon murders were not related. And it reminded me that police are allowed to lie in doing their job. Even if it isn't Oregon but something else, clearly the FBI believes that there could be enough of a national threat to warrant this kind of response. Committing 50 or so agents makes me think the FBI believes this is a killer who could cross state lines and kill again. Their presence seems more about preventing future murders.
IMO

Seems like tremendous overkill if there was a gripe against just 1 person. Thinking the whole house--all its residents-- were the targets. Maybe the 2 survivors got lucky and with doors locked, perp decided 4 was enough and not worth risking being seen or apprehended.
I feel as you do, that it was a lot for just one person to be a target. I try to look at it as the killer would have been nervous to some degree, rushed, and possibly sweating at some point and when adrenalin takes over sometimes your mindset is super focused on an objective. I would assume not getting caught would be at the top of that list of objectives. We do not know who was first but I do know It takes a certain amount of fortitude and strength to kill in the manner in which the victims were injured. Let's say the last one put up a fairly good fight and it was just too much physically to finish the whole house. But additionally, you can think if there was a target K or M, they were not expected to be in the bed together so that may explain both being targeted. They have to go back downstairs, perhaps E and X woke up, one put up a fight the other a witness so both became the next targets, leaving no witnesses, and silencing them from alerting the police allowing them time to get away. I can not imagine killing all 4 unless the original plan of killing 1 went afoul and the rest were collateral damage or they wanted everyone and did not have the fortitude to complete the task. E was the most unexpecting individual staying the night. Anyone who knew of, or observed this home believed it to be a house of all girls.

“Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said the manner of death was a stabbing for all four individuals. ... and Kaylee Goncalves, 21, who police say were attacked with an "edged weapon," likely a knife. Mabbutt said the same knife was likely used to kill all four victims.”
If two knives of the very same kind were used, would they be able to tell, like they would with guns? I don't know.

<modsnip - rumor>

"At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting."

Material facts:

Could not see the two persons on the ground floor? Or had to come back down which was too much risk? Risk that police already called? Time was passing.

AIMOO
Could you clarify what you meant my friend??
I am referring to your last paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
If two knives of the very same kind were used, would they be able to tell, like they would with guns? Does anyone know?

Seems like tremendous overkill if there was a gripe against just 1 person. Thinking the whole house--all its residents-- were the targets. Maybe the 2 survivors got lucky and with doors locked, perp decided 4 was enough and not worth risking being seen or apprehended.

Or maybe he just kept on going until he found 'the one' he was looking for? Is that possible? If he didn't know which level or room each young woman slept in (and bearing in mind they were bunking in together so that would be impossible to know). If so, 'the one' might be the victim with most defence wounds as there was something he wanted to say to her. Maybe he located her last and once that happened then it's back out of the first floor sliding doors. Maybe perp hadn't even figured there was a downstairs level with sleeping persons, assumed it was the den or TV room.

Just a thought I had and wanted to see if anyone thought of it. If E was at the door when attacked, the perp would have to go in the room for X. Anyone think she recognized him and so she had to be killed too? If she was near the wall, he easily could have left after killing E. Just my opinion, any thoughts?

Curious. Did they say one weapon or one kind of weapon?

Yes apparently, someone quoted / linked up thread, but LE or the coroner rather said there was one bladed murder weapon cause of death for all. However, as previous idea floated - that doesn't mean perp didn't use additional methods or weapons we don't yet know about such as tazer, drugs, gas, spray, or threatened a gun they didn't use. It just means the cause of death was the same bladed weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6