ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve not posted publicly about this but I have seen the photo of that Hyundai. Being able to pin it down that closely to that year and model is a very good clue. Alternatively, if it belonged to someone not connected it would be important to know when the room was last vacuumed. If it was months or years ago, it would be of little value. If recent, then I would think the car should be able to be tracked down.

Now you've peaked my curiosity. If was a paid hit what's the motive?

For that, we have to use our imaginations, as none of the smaller clues posted on SM are allowed here, for good reasons.

I think the motive was revenge. That's what I'm going with as of today. Perceived slight? Real slight? I can easily concoct a story with a real slight in it - there could be more of a conflict/controversy in the background than we know at this point.

As every LE mentor I've ever had has told me: "There's always a story."

Party peoples from around the globe would disagree with this statement!

For many serious socializers, the Saturday-Sunday 'after party' begins at someone's home when the clubs close any time from 2am to 5am. If you're in high spirits, everyone nice from the club gets given the address and invited along too. This usually involves continuing to party, dance, mingle until 'whenever' and often by the Sunday lunch time / afternoon has wound down to a chill out session. By late afternoon everyone's like OKAY gotta go home have a nice clean bathe, sleeeeep, and try get my head straight for tomo (Monday) morning. This is why living next to party peoples houses can send non party peoples into a deranged state of mind. I have been on both sides of this scenario.
when forced to choose between a two-party system, always choose the after party.

this reminds me of Son of Sam and Harvey, the talking Labrador. I've never subscribed to this theory, but is it possible that one of the neighbs is a little pychotic and having auditory and/or visual hallucinations and paranoid or bizarre delusions to drive them over to punish the offenders? sounds crazy, but just wondering.

Do understand that they're still processing the DNA? This is just how long it takes to investigate a case like this.

It won't be a strong case if all they have to arrest a perp is his DNA, particularly at a party house with a frequent flow of visitors. Let's hope there is far more than that. Especially a motive.

My opinion.

First, let me say, I don't have any knowledge about fiber forensics in particular.

That said, there's been much deserved controversy in recent years regarding forensic disciplines which, as it turns out, were junk science. So-called experts accept money to appear in court on behalf of the prosecution or defense and make claims that are wildly outside the realm of possibility.

My opinion is that it's impossible to identify fibers at a crime scene as having come from a particular source (car, rug, etc.). You could merely conclude that they were consistent. That's a potentially tiny piece of circumstantial evidence. Personally, I think it's very weak evidence that has little value at trial, but could certainly provide a lead for investigators to follow.
100% You beat me to it, but I would have been less eloquent.

Well, evidence leads to the perp.
And it's been a month now, with no arrests, or even a hint that LE are close.
So if there IS any evidence, it's not very strong.

Now they're asking about a white car.

It all just seems a bit scatter-gun. Like they're desperate trying to find something, somewhere.
There is lots of evidence that we know of and much more that we do not.

Last edited:
Not even sure they have the slightest idea.

It just doesn't feel they've reached that pre-arrest, "let's calibrate evidence and go over everything one more time," ducks in a row, place yet.

(Feels more like they're waiting for perp to spontaneously have "come to Jesus" moment.)

I think they have some idea based on the statement that the occupant(s) of the white car may have ‘critical Information’. Sounds like they have their main POI. I think they are closing in on him. MOO

I mean expedited because they've the FBI helping them. I'm assuming this also means forensics.

Most homicides are handled in state.

I think the case is cold. Take a break from this forum and anywhere else you're following the case as there's no new info and won't be.
One thing you fail to realize is that this is not the only case the FBI is investigating nor is it the only case the labs are testing for. As important as this seems to us and the families, regular LE business continues and we all know this is not the only high crime being investigated by the FBI.

Here's what I think.

They carefully collected tons of forensic evidence from all over the house, each designated as a different time phase in the crime. They found car carpet fibers on the stairs and on the bedroom floor (using many different vacuum bags and carefully labeling, taking over 4000 pictures of where they gathered this evidence).

They knew a Hyundai Elantra had passed by a Ring cam. So they went into the database of carpet fibers and lo and behold! The fibers on the feet of the alleged killer are from a Hyundai Elantra - but only from 2011-2013.

That Elantra is hidden someplace, IMO. Probably at a remote location, perhaps still with the killer. His family knows he has this car, but is silent (and LE knows who they are, too and are waiting to see if they are going to budge and give up where the car/person driving car might be).

I don't think that Hyundai is still in Idaho, myself. Nor is the killer. But if they find that Hyundai, they will find a person who is definitely worth interrogating.

so in this scenario, the killer would have to be foolish enough to wear their same clothes/shoes into the house (no separate clothing, no shoe covers, etc.) and the killer, the Elantra and the family are all waiting it out. IMO that means the killer might be younger and less sophisticated than some of the talking heads have indicated IMO.

Here's the question: if LE knows who they are, why don't they just roll up and knock on the door for a few questions? They don't need a warrant, they don't have to mirandize unless it moves past general questions, and wouldn't LE showing up on their doorstep convince the family to at least consider throwing the killer under the bus? It's hard for me to imagine LE being coy, waiting for the date to the prom. That's all JMO so I hope you can share your expertise on this because I know you'll have considered this.

Off topic but I feel LE might have a really good idea who is responsible due to the the fact there has been no reward offered yet…or am I missing something?
You are missing something. Rewards are useful for generating leads once a case grows cold and fades from public memory. This case is nowhere near that stage, and LE is receiving a flood of tips.

Sharing this here because even if this killer is not a serial killer, reading it prodded some other thoughts, and because it's the FBI, I believe it's allowed:

and an FBI BAU link:

What I don't understand is why local LE would call on the FBI BAU right away if there weren't some obvious concern. Bueller? Bueller?

I find it refreshing to see a local PD calling in the big dawgs as soon as they realize they've got a super-complex crime scene that would challenge the most well-equipped, experienced law enforcement agencies. Defense attorneys don't play, and juries can be gullible. The good guys needed all hands on deck. MOO

I’ve not posted publicly about this but I have seen the photo of that Hyundai. Being able to pin it down that closely to that year and model is a very good clue. Alternatively, if it belonged to someone not connected it would be important to know when the room was last vacuumed. If it was months or years ago, it would be of little value. If recent, then I would think the car should be able to be tracked down.
Unless this is breaking news, there is no [public] photo of the car in question.

I find it refreshing to see a local PD calling in the big dawgs as soon as they realize they've got a super-complex crime scene that would challenge the most well-equipped, experienced law enforcement agencies. Defense attorneys don't play, and juries can be gullible. The good guys needed all hands on deck. MOO
true. just doesn't usually happen right away. I don't mean it as a criticism. I am just curious because it is not always the norm IDT.

Just a little something that I think some people forget when it comes to DNA testing and something people are failing to realize is that this is not the only case the FBI is investigating nor is it the only case the labs are testing for. As important as this seems to us and the families, regular LE business continues and we all know this is not the only high crime being investigated by the FBI. As much as LE wants this expedited and solved there are other cases that are just important and those victims and families are just as important. There is a system for these things and they have to work within that.

Sorry if I missed this, but do we know that the attic didn't have a built-in ladder? Mine does.
We know from the rental photos. It is obviously a hatch style attic entrance not a pull down ladder type. For one thing, there is no cord or even a hook. So you get on a ladder, push the hatch up and put out of the way. The hatch is nothing more than a rectangular piece of wood sitting in a frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties