ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think anyone would be surprised that when a giant knife is plunged repeatedly into living flesh it leaves big open gouges.

And I'm getting depressed just typing that out. :(

There are different ways of using said knife. I have a whole textbook on stab wounds. Yep, some are big gashes. And some are not (knife plunged in to the hilt, then removed without slashing).

The way in which the injuries occurred is part of LE solving the case - we out here in the public do not have context to know much about what happened. But the lung-stabbing is a way of making sure victims stay silent and not every angry person with a knife would know this. Liver injuries lead to faster bleed-out and possibly less arterial spray (especially if under some covering).

"More brutal" as assessed by a parent viewing two bodies is difficult to assess.
I am not sure where the idea Kaylee's dad saw Maddie's body stems from. He could have seen Kaylee's body, sure, she is his own daughter. But nobody would be displaying an undressed corpse to a person not related to the deceased and not being a LE member. Especially not in such a medial case, where the probability of it being revealed is so high. The person responsible would be risking their job.

"big open gouges" sheds light on X's comment on bruised and torn :(

Edit, X's dad's comment
From the link:

Although the coroner told Goncalves that the victims died quickly and did not suffer, he said he's not convinced.

Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said.

Me: How could anyone in the house sleep through the noise? How much would you have to drink to sleep through it?

I am not sure where the idea Kaylee's dad saw Maddie's body stems from. He could have seen Kaylee's body, sure, she is his own daughter. But nobody would be displaying an undressed corpse to a person not related to the deceased and not being a LE member. Especially not in such a medial case, where the probability of it being revealed is so high. The person responsible would be risking their job.
Agreed. It's highly likely he saw her face after the coroner unzipped a body bag because I believe family members have to make a positive ID. If that happened, it's almost guaranteed the coroner didn't unzip it all the way and start talking in graphic detail pointing out her injuries. That's not only unprofessional, it's probably against the law as well.

Given how SG has been publicly, I would imagine he asked the coroner a lot of questions trying to get all the information he could so it's not surprising that he would know some more things.

Good catch - in that article, it's all the victims who have gouge wounds (not so much stab wounds). It also explains why SG said they didn't suffer.

The article also has SG state that K's wounds were specific (and both are on that internet how-to guide, on how to kill someone with a knife - they are numbers 4 and 5 on the previously posted list).

Here's the news article so people don't have to scroll:

SG does emphasize, once again, that K and M had very different kinds of wounds - but I don't know if we can conclude much, forensically, unless we know how, exactly, they are different.
BBM. I hadn’t seen that article posted so I just went looking for it (I was kind of nervous typing that phrase into my browser). That’s disturbing how close Kaylee’s injuries as reported by her dad match those bullet points in the article. It’s making me rethink some things.

I suppose it's possible he's going just on the death certificates (although how he has standing to get M's would vary from locale to locale - can't be done in my state).

That's why I take everything SG says with a large grain of salt - he is comparing wounds, but he is not a professional in studying wounds and it's entirely possible that he has only seen one body and only knows the extent of one set of wounds completely.

OTOH, I do believe he said he had two urns (K's and M's) at his house during one of his statements to News Nation. So it's possible that M's family allowed her body to be released to him and his chosen mortuary for final arrangements. So, perhaps he went down to the mortuary for viewing before cremation (many people would).

Agree, especially about the word "stealth." I think this perp planned this for at least a while. The campus was about to empty out for finals week and holiday break. Things were winding down. Perp wanted a quiet middle-of-the-night scenario, with few people out and about. Therefore, weapon of choice would certain be something quiet - and yes, something quite familiar to the perp, something with which he practiced.

There is a place in Moscow to practice with axes, ninja stars and knives. That place is a 9 minute walk from the Corner Club (just for reference). IOW, it's on the edge of downtown. Most small towns do not have such a facility. Heck, my entire county doesn't have this kind of facility.

I'm just saying that the local area would have many people familiar with sharp-edged weaponry, including the ability to publicly display one's confidence and to build confidence in one's abilities.
I live in a Western town of about medium size. We have 4 axe throwing bars where you can drink beer and practice throws. Every town around in my neck of the woods, from very small to large, has at least one. It's "normal" around here.

For the record, though, I've never been. It's not my in my interests, but most people I know have at least once.

Excellent summary. I feel terrible for the families and what they're going through, but I don't like their words and opinions being used as primary sources for reporting when there's no secondary sources.
Absolutely! It makes me feel really uneasy and a bit suspicious when I read articles and watch videos of family members. A former homicide detective said that constantly being before a throng of cameras can become intoxicating for some people and be seen as downright peculiar.

:(

Tough to read this article. :(

"His daughter and Mogen were ambushed in their sleep and found in the same bed, according to the coroner.

Goncalves surmised that they died in Mogen's bedroom on the third floor because "there are photos of Kaylee's room with no blood on the bed."

Good guess on the father's part. Or maybe LE secured all the bedding including cutting the top layer of the mattress. Does anyone have the photo of K's bedroom? TIA

With great sensitivity, M and K's upper bodies are shaped differently. Perhaps that accounts for their injuries 'not matching'.

1670864320042.png
(photo from article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members