ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way he described the Hyundai appeal, sounds to me that they think occupant/s of Hyundai might just be potential witnesses (not occupant/s they suspect of being directly involved)

anybody else interpret it that way?
Yes, that's how I hear it, as well. Well, dang it. I am all out of theories. Every time there is an update from MPD, my latest/current theory falls by the wayside!

Yeah they keep mentioning hoodie guy but the other guy seems to be the 1 arguing and gesturing with Maddie. I wonder if he's been cleared yet. Poor KG just trying to use her coupon and get some macaroni :(

The guy with the beard has given an interview. He relayed what he observed and the exchange was good natured.
When you look at the video, you can tell MM is pretty drunk.

In addition, we don't know which members of the families he has/has not spoken to. Like any other mass murder, there have been divorces, separations, yet the members of the far flung families have a right to hear what will be released by another of the victims' relatives who has the responsibility, imo, to make sure that ALL members of these families have been alerted to what he will say. And, if they are onboard to his describing the death scene of their child as being the result of a huge battle.

Imo
And we don’t know if this is the first time Ethan and Xana’s families are hearing this information about a fight downstairs. If it is the first time, I cannot imagine the pain they are going through right now hearing this in the media rather than from someone trained in how to deliver this sensitive information.

Last edited:
How does it keep pressure on everyone to find the killer?

He just told the whole word very graphically about the type of extreme sadistic killer to look out for. It’s not, “Oh well, there’s a murderer out there somewhere. So kinda please be careful.” It is, “Hey! This is a powerful and sadistic murderer. This is what he did. This is exactly the type of killer that’s on the loose in the community!” I‘d say that’s pretty motivating.

Agreed. It's highly likely he saw her face after the coroner unzipped a body bag because I believe family members have to make a positive ID. If that happened, it's almost guaranteed the coroner didn't unzip it all the way and start talking in graphic detail pointing out her injuries. That's not only unprofessional, it's probably against the law as well.

Given how SG has been publicly, I would imagine he asked the coroner a lot of questions trying to get all the information he could so it's not surprising that he would know some more things.
Kaylee's parents and Maddie's parents are very close friends. If SG got a copy of the autopsy, it's possible Maddie's family did too. They shared info with each other. MOO

I agree, Mr. G has every right to release some info to set the facts straight. And, keep the LE on their toes as well as the public interested by SM reports.
IMO, the killer(s) were male, why not release that fact by LE?
You go Mr. G!
Because the suspect being a male is not a know fact yet, a good assumption but not fact. It is like assuming the suspect is African American, conducting the investigating on that assumption the then finding out factually that the suspect is Asian or Caucasian. You don't narrow down the scope of the investigation as to who it may be until you have some facts to corroborate that.

One thing that really stood out to me in this article:

"Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said."

To me, that says that K&M were attacked first. E&X went to check and a fight ensued OR the killer knocked on the locked bedroom door, forcing E&X to wake up and open the door.
Or maybe two attackers, one on each floor. Sounds ludicrous I know but who knows.

One thing that really stood out to me in this article:

"Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said."

To me, that says that K&M were attacked first. E&X went to check and a fight ensued OR the killer knocked on the locked bedroom door, forcing E&X to wake up and open the door.

And again, we don’t know what it means. A hell of a battle would be heard in the basement, but I imagine E was killed in his sleep, and X had defensive wounds. XK’s father also used the term “torn” (by the knife). Comparing this, I can imagine that it was unusual instrument, something that can cut/stab/tear? It could be possible that one person went to 2nd floor and one up to 3d, if there were two people.
Question: everyone says, K-Bar. Could a battle ax inflict the same wounds?

Speculating on the video they keep showing of Kaylee with Murphy. I would imagine tipsy Kaylee and Maddie would have had Murphy with them. She would probably have needed to let him out when she came home. I agree with you - unless the killer was friendly with Murphy. I would imagine that Murphy would have barked at the intruder unless the intruder was known to him. This bothers me a lot.
One possibility I can see would be, IF there is still furniture in K's room (haven't yet seen anything definitive about this), that K initially planned to sleep in her own room, and after letting the dog out to go potty, put the dog in her own room, crated or otherwise. Maybe she even got into her own bed.

But then whatever triggered the calls to J happened, and K went into M's room as they tried together to reach J.

Then, intentionally or not, K fell asleep in M's bed without returning to her own room, where the dog remained until LE arrived.

All speculation/MOO

Kaylee's parents and Maddie's parents are very close friends. If SG got a copy of the autopsy, it's possible Maddie's family did too. They shared info with each other. MOO
I don't know why the autopsy would be released to anyone. But he says he paid for a copy of the death certificate. In the Kiely R case, people unrelated to the family were able to purchase a copy of her death certificate, and that's how it was disclosed online, iirc. That document could be public information albeit now from a different state.

Does anyone out there with LE experience believe it would be helpful or harmful to the investigation for LE to release whether they believe the perp was left or right handed?

I’ve been thinking a lot about the information they can and cannot share as far as the investigation is concerned.

MOO- Obviously we’d all like to think the lack of information being given could mean they are close to closing in on a suspect. Which for everyone especially the victims, their families and local Moscow residents would be incredible.

However…. Again…

MOO- I do believe, if they do not have a solid suspect… given the fact the FBI and State police are assisting in the investigation and the information / evidence the blood splatter and stab wounds alone of all 4 victims could have revealed / provided … I believe the investigators are more than competent and intelligent enough to know by now if the perp was left or right handed.

MOO- if the perp happened to be left handed, which is much less common than being right handed… it could help the public in identifying someone near by acting strange, someone who uses or has a fixed blade knife… if certain victims could have been stabbed by someone with left hand and someone with right hand… could be helpful in determining if more than one perp was involved. All of this , IMO would ultimately be helpful in narrowing in on suspects or persons of interest in a scientific, fact based manner. Not witch hunt.

I’m hopeful the press release tomorrow will reveal that they do have a general dna profile of the killer… based on evidence collected over the last month that has been processed. That is, if they were actually able to extract the perps DNA from anywhere in the house. I do not believe LE has confirmed they have or have not.

Again, I’d understand why they might not make this public knowledge.

However, if MOO- if they were able to confirm the perpetrators dna from the crime scene , They should be able to at the very least confirm to the public the assailant was male or female.
This may seem small. But it’s still significant and could be helpful.

Any bit of narrowing down who this perp is at this point could be helpful IMO.

I’ve read articles (scientific / forensic based, attached to this post) how the forensic analysis of crime scene blood splatter and knife wounds can determine whether the assailant was left or right handed.

With so little to go on right now (from a public standpoint and so many people out there wanting to help the investigation) and assist the LE in determining a POI or possible suspect, IMO - I believe this could be useful public information… if indeed LE does not have a suspect.

Side note- IMO - if they indeed do have a POI, I don’t believe giving this information to the public would be helpful. It would be something they would want to hold onto.

Let me know your thoughts on whether or not you believe this could help the investigation.

Attached is an article on how the knowledge of left handed, right handed and or ambidextrous can be helpful in investigations. ( I know the officers of this website are particular on attachments, hopefully this one is factual based and meets requirements to attach)

I live in a Western town of about medium size. We have 4 axe throwing bars where you can drink beer and practice throws. Every town around in my neck of the woods, from very small to large, has at least one. It's "normal" around here.

For the record, though, I've never been. It's not my in my interests, but most people I know have at least once.
Have there been any instances of fighting in these places or misbehaving? I mean would you consider going to one dangerous? Thanks.

I don't understand why LE is so proud about taking 4000 photographs of the crime scene and having a 3d layout of the place. Anyone could take 4000 nice pictures and get a 3d layout of a place in today's day and age. It does no good if you are still not talking to the right people.
With respect, we don't know who they're talking to. In today's update the chief reminded the public that they have lots of info they're not releasing.

I don't have anything to add to the waiting inside or outside discussion at this point. However, I do have a theory on why the two roomates were left untouched.

I like to think that K was his last victim, and she managed to get a really strong kick to the chestnuts groin region in her last breath. After that, he was done.

I have zero evidence to support that; as I said, I just like to think it... :)
I believe she was fiesty enough to do just that. I think she was a lot like her Dad :)

Speculating on the video they keep showing of Kaylee with Murphy. I would imagine tipsy Kaylee and Maddie would have had Murphy with them. She would probably have needed to let him out when she came home. I agree with you - unless the killer was friendly with Murphy. I would imagine that Murphy would have barked at the intruder unless the intruder was known to him. This bothers me a lot.

Dogs are different. If she got used to changing people in the party house and had two owners to co-parent, maybe, not.

I can understand the significance of figuring out who or if anyone was the target here, but to assume it was any one of them based off NOTHING seems redundent. It seems like too many people are assuming that KG or MM were the targets simply because they were pretty and blonde?

No - most people are assuming it's KG because her father has implied it. He say her wounds were worse/more brutal. Distinct and less than M's. But some of us question his expertise in making this his narrative. If that's not what he's intending, it's unfortunate, because all around the internet (and I would presume, among the people of Moscow, ID), many assume and are thinking about the crime as if KG was the target.

That could be the wrong assumption, is what I am trying to say. I understand why SG has this theory, I just cannot accept his theory/narrative as fact at this point.

There are tons of theories flying about who was targeted and I assume LE is having to investigate every tip.

I don't understand why LE is so proud about taking 4000 photographs of the crime scene and having a 3d layout of the place. Anyone could take 4000 nice pictures and get a 3d layout of a place in today's day and age. It does no good if you are still not talking to the right people.

They are not saying they are proud. They are stating the facts of the case.

In this case, the context of each and every evidence pull must be documented carefully or the DNA analysts will never be able to piece together a DNA profile of the killer.

Why do you want to make it sound like the information given by police is emotionally laden and they're bragging?

"Anyone" does not take good crime scene pictures (incidentally, that was my first LE related job - it was not fun and it took training). That person works carefully with others in the crime scene (usually on a team - usually several photographers for a scene like this one.

The crime scene photographer is not, generally, a person who also interviews people. The detectives and investigators who interview often start out as CS photogs, but then get degrees in criminology or a related field, and, always, continuing education. Those people are out in the field investigating - they are not the ones who took the crime scene photos. It's not as if they are pulling investigators out of the field and making them take crime scene photos.

These days, 4000 photos are possible due to digital processes and digital tagging, which is very helpful in an investigation.

I believe they are talking to the right people - and some of those people are now talking on their own SM pages as well.

So this is what SG meant when he said "I PAID for that".
He paid for a copy of Kaylee's autopsy. Maybe he paid for a copy of Maddie's too, or as AQUARIAN has pointed out, maybe Maddie's parent's shared a copy of Maddie's autopsy with SG.
He paid for the copy of the death certificate that has limited info. A DOD, COD, and MOD. Law enforcement has not released anything else to protect the investigation. Imo.

Because those 4000+ photos & 3D layouts are what will be used to ensure the killer gets put in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader