DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRANSCRIPT.

CAPTAIN GIVES BRIEF UPDATE

12TH DECEMBER.

Captain - Good morning, my name's Roger Lanier. I'm the Captain with the Moscow Police Department. I'm in charge of the Operations Division. And today is Dec. 12th, Monday. I want to give you an update on the King Rd. homicide investigations, at least the information that we have to this point. Over the weekend, investigators still continued to sort through numerous tips, calls and online tips in regard to this investigation.

There's been a lot of questions about the white car that we've been interested in. We're looking for that car because we believe, through our investigation, that that car was in the area during the time of the murders and we also believe that the occupant or occupants may have seen something. They may not know they've seen something. So, we specifically want to talk to them and we want to know who they are and what they might know or might be able to contribute to the investigation.

Over the weekend, investigators have sorted through and prioritised numerous tips. Some are tips that came in earlier and we've been working on. Other tips are new and are relevant. It's overwhelming sometimes with the amount of information that comes in on these tip lines. So, our analysts have spent hours sorting through and trying to come up with the most relevant tips first for the investigators to follow up on. They have re-interviewed some of the folks we've interviewed earlier in this investigation to clarify information. Sometimes when new information comes forward, the people that we've spoken to beforehand may have new insight on that. So, it does often seem like we're backtracking but we're really just trying to get the most important details and the best timeline that we can come up with.

We have literally an army of analysts who have been sorting through videos that have been submitted through the fbi.gov.moscow upload site. Those videos are from all over town, gas stations and specifically the area around King Rd. We've been trying to use those videos to garner new information. As you can imagine, there's hours and hours and hours of videos, so it does take a lot of time.

I want to talk a minute about safety. There's been a lot of speculation about what is the safety to the public right now or the risk to the public right now. I would just like to add that we should always be vigilant. Certainly we should be vigilant now, but we should make that a way of life for us. We should always be walking with our head up, sticking to lighted paths and walking in groups, if we can. In addition, letting people know when you've arrived home if you have not made prior arrangements. This is not an indication of a specific elevated risk, but something that we should be vigilant with just in our daily lives.

I want let everybody know that we are still 100% committed to solving this crime. There's a lot of information to sort through and the information keeps coming in and not all of the information is relevant. But you don't know if a tip is valid until you take the time to examine that tip and see how it relates to other information that you might have. We have teams in Moscow, Salt Lake City and in Virginia, as well as other locations across the country and we're prepared to do interviews and follow up on information at any point, anywhere. The ISP and FBI investigators along with the Moscow Police Department investigators, includes dozens of analysts, tip line operators and others. And they're working around the clock, seven days a week, to sort through the volumes of information. MPD has detectives, support personnel and a communications team to try to keep everything together, but it is still a daunting task. The FBI, their investigators, are ready at a moments notice at any place in the country to go conduct an interview should the tips and leads take us there. And, the Idaho State Police has, besides working on the investigation, had several uniformed troopers in the area to help with safety concerns around the city and on the University of Idaho campus.

Just a quick reminder. Please stick to official news releases for information. Tracking down rumours and quelling rumours about specific individuals or specific events that may or may not have happened is a huge distraction for investigators and oftentimes is the result of social media propagation and it is very, very frustrating to investigators and hard to stay on track.

Finally I just want to add that we do have a lot of information and we are specifically keeping that information safe. We're not releasing specific details because we do not want to compromise this investigation. It's what we must do. We owe that to the families and we owe that to the victims. We want more than just an arrest. We want a conviction. We owe that justice to Xana, Kaylee, Madison and Ethan.

And finally, I would just like remind anybody with information - you can call the tip line at 208-883-7180 and that is directly to the tip line office in the FBI. There's been some frustration about having to wade through the tip line, but remember this is not the only investigation in the country. So, please be patient. We want that information. Anything could break this open for us and then also the e-mail tip line is tipline@CI.moscow.ID.US. Thank you for your continued patience in this investigation.

Page 41 of the FBI manual on crime prevention disagrees:

View attachment 387013

I agree, at this stage LE have this on their site.
  • We have not changed our belief that the murders were a targeted attack. However, investigators have not concluded if the target was the residence or its occupants. King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

(Hypo) PreTrial Release of Victims' Wound Pix. Impede Fair Trial?
Pasting this post by @Janitor101 from previous thread.
@Janitor101 Yes, Hypothetically. In a pre-trial motion, Def atty could claim that, but I doubt it would fly.

Hypo: MSM or soc media publishes a pic or pix (plural) of vic's wounds pre-trial. Then an arrest.

One. Def. makes pre-trial motion --- MSM showed vic wound pic, blah blah blah, violates right to fair trial, so judge must dismiss charges.
Prosecutor argues that if same/similar pic would/will be admitted into evd. at trial, MSM/soc media's publication does not violate def's right to a fair trial, IOW jury will see it at trial, so no violation of def's right to fair trial. Judge: Def's motion denied.

Two. Def makes motion for a change of venue to move trial to a diff judicial district, where (presumably) the pix & other crime info had not been widely circulated to the public/jury pool.
Imo, by itself, the pic argument w no further bases to strike charges or to move trial, doubtful. Why?

In jury selection process (regardless of trial location is Moscow or elsewhere), both prosecution & defense have opportunity to question potential jury panel members (veniremen), to see what crime info they have seen/heard. And judge asks if the info would prevent them from using only evidence presented at trial to make decision. If they can't put previous info aside, then person may be struck for cause. So those who are impossibly biased by the pre-trial info are not part of the jury,which ends up being composed of unbiased ppl.
imo jmo moo
There’s nothing to say evidence can’t be made public, in fact, Courts and LE are public institutions and often required (varies by State) to divulge info at some point, and Judges are told to, wherever possible, weigh heavily the public’s right to know.

We just had Police in Delphi trying to seal evidence (it’s pre-trial) and the Judge released it to the Public, saying the Public’s right to know trumped the request to keep it sealed.

I think the Truth is still a defense. If the evidence is the evidence is the evidence, they’re not required to hold it for trial.

And you want leads and witnesses before memories grow cold - and releasing evidence is often a good way to get that.

Jmoo

Sorry if this has already been covered, but how could someone causes such horrific and violent injuries to 4 people and leave a property without leaving some kind of blood trail or prints that could be seen or picked up by police dogs?
The investigators were tagging items in the backyard so there very well could have been a blood trail. That being said, I don’t know how bloody the killer’s footprints would have been if you believe the coroner’s statement that most of the victims were killed in bed - I’d think the mattress would soak up a majority of the blood & anything else would be on the killer, not necessarily on his/her feet.

MOO

Right now, Pacific time, Dr. Phil Show today--
Forensic expert, Joseph Scott Morgan; former FBI Special Agent, Jonathan Gilliam; Criminologist, Dr. Casey Jordan; DailyMail Senior Reporter, Caitlyn Becker; and Cyber Sleuth, Lisa Marie, join Dr. Phil to discuss this mysterious case.
I caught it half way through and missed a lot. Back tracking now.
Just saw a clip a few seconds Long some girl said Ethan had words and it got heated then it cut off. I am going to see if I can watch the whole things. Things are getting interesting
A heated run-in? I caught just that bolded part, but didn't catch further talk of the incident. Did you?
Dr. Phil show today focused on this case. He had a couple of criminal profilers as guests. There were lots of interesting comments. If you have time, I'd recommend watching it.
I agree, worth watching. Can't find the whole program on youtube though.

This is why I think all of the victims were targeted. They may not have been targets until he actually entered their rooms and found them there, but I think he planned to kill anyone in that house he came across.

Indeed, and the profiler who keeps using the word 'satiation' in his postulations is spot on, IMO, because one only stabs 4 people to death in one sitting, and while they sleep, if and only if he has an unquenchable bloodlust and compulsion to kill.

This ain't the work of no frat boy, incel, or aggrieved ex-lover. This is serious business done by a seriously disturbed sadist.

My opinion.

Last edited:
The recent comments about trauma to the liver and lungs leaves me wondering if the stabbings went under the ribs versus through them. This would reduce the force required and the chance of the knife breaking. It's based on unverified information from a grieving father and speculation on my part, especially since it was only mentioned for one victim, but it's a theory I'd had for a while.

On another note, I've wondered if the killer started on the third floor, then moved to the second floor, and ultimately fled the house after encountering resistance and some noise from X or E. They may have had intentions of continuing to the first floor but felt the need to flee after encountering resistance. This came to mind for me when I heard rumors of the first floor door being open the next morning.

Lastly, in regards to the challenges with identifying the killer, I'm reluctant to give full credit to the killer's planning versus luck. The Jayme Closs kidnapping is one example that comes to mind for me where many speculated that it was a heavily planned event that really just came down to coincidental luck that kept the killer unknown until she escaped.

I guess the point of this post is that for every assumption we make right now, there are reasonably strong counter points. Maybe i should change my handle to Captain Obvious.

Hey there. Glad you brought that up. The same thoughts occurred to me (and to some other knife-knowledgeable people a few threads ago). It's possible the killer used the same basic MO on all the victims - it would not surprise me at all. A stab wound to the lung will reduce the volume of a person's speech but might not be immediately fatal - a lot of movement and resistance would still be possible. A stab wound to the liver, OTOH, is going to result in unconsciousness and death more rapidly than just a lung wound.

As to planning, I usually wouldn't go there, but I think waiting until a quiet night, choosing organs to stab that are useful for a quiet kill, and leaving no personally identifying evidence (at this time) is quite something. I assume the perp's DNA will have to be reconstructed from various items in evidence and it won't be easy.

Many here have pondered why the killer didn't go for the carotid or the jugular - and my opinion is that if he instead went for lungs and liver, the task is easier - plus less arterial blood spurt in all likelihood,

A heated run-in? I caught just that bolded part, but didn't catch further talk of the incident. Did you?

Oh, bummer. I thought it was the whole show. Sorry about that.

What do you guys think of this?
I think it's true that police never would have released that video cam if that incident had anything to do with the murders.

Concerning a reward, I'm not sure how much good it would do. LE are already being flooded with tips. Offering a reward could result in many more unneeded tips police have to follow through with.

The SM harassment is out of control. It happens in every single case I've followed. Innocent people are called out and accused of horrible crimes. Even the families of the victims are harassed. It happened in the Dylan Rounds case and the investigation into Kiely Rodni's accidental death. People actually criticized Kiely's grieving mother when she publicly pleaded for the SM harassment of Kiely's friends to stop and let the community grieve in peace.

They are relentless and I hope they do face charges if they've accused and harassed people close to the investigation on line.

Oh, bummer. I thought it was the whole show. Sorry about that.
You did fine linking that youtube of a segment of the Dr. Phil's Show. Thank You, @BeckyF. (Just wanted to know more about the lead-in clip saying Ethan had words and it got "heated". Need to watch the whole show to find out.)

The clips that have been uploaded to you tube show the woman mention Ethan having a heated run in with someone then it cuts off. There’s a bunch of short Dr phil episode based on the Idaho murders but none so far with the woman talking about Ethan heated exchange.

I hope someone uploads the dr Phil episode in its entirety.

I am trying to read all the posts, but it is difficult to see where one stops and another starts, so forgive me if this item has been discussed earlier: some earlier post referred to a door code. My question is does a door code requirement mean that no one needed an actual key to enter? I have not seen any mention of damage to the front door. Was there any?

Indeed, and the profiler who keeps using the word 'satiation' in his postulations is spot on, IMO, because one only stabs 4 people to death in one sitting, and while they sleep, if and only if he has an unquenchable bloodlust and compulsion to kill.

This ain't the work of no frat boy, incel, or aggrieved ex-lover. This is serious business done by a seriously disturbed sadist.

My opinion.

People who are seriously disturbed sadists can also be students, incels or ex-boyfriends, sadly.

Re the white car -

Why don’t LE say we *know* the car was in the area at the time instead of ‘we believe’ it was. It comes off as disingenuous.

I’m a semantics and linguistics pedant and so are the people who word such statements and their words have been carefully crafted.

You did fine linking that youtube of a segment of the Dr. Phil's Show. Thank You, @BeckyF. (Just wanted to know more about the lead-in clip saying Ethan had words and it got "heated". Need to watch the whole show to find out.)
If anyone saw the Dr Phil show or can find video of the part about E, please let us know - I am very curious about that. TIA!

ETA: Name of the show

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members