ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
we don’t know it went from white to styner. The girl at the mobile said it turned off 8 but white to styner doesn't do that. Also I think shed know if styner was the turn off cuz its so close.
True. The Mobil station woman said that at 3:45 AM the vehicle, westbound on White Ave., turned onto Troy or Hwy 8, and then turned onto a side street. Police haven't released additional details.

However, the same possible car that was westbound on White Avenue at 3:45 AM was also westbound towards the murders at Linda Lane at 2:45-3:15 AM. That is 5 minutes from the murders.

Perhaps the first time the car was seen on CCTV was to commit the murders, the second time was to avoid detection and taking backroads after the murders?

1671170210957.png

The car seen on White near the gas station at 3:45 was actually traveling west towards 1122, not away from it.
ICBW but I personally don’t think that this vehicle is the one Moscow PD is looking for. For all we know, they have 10 or 15 videos of small, older, white vehicles from that night that they have retrieved or people have turned in.
We know about this one because the manager told the press who are stationed all over Moscow waiting like hungry dogs for any little crumb that might be tossed at them.
The Moscow police statement supports what our own old cop says:

Investigators told Francetich they planned to run the video through "their special analysis tools."
It's unclear if the white car in Francetich's footage is the same Hyundai Elantra police are trying to track down.
"Investigators are looking at it along with other things we’ve received from the public," Moscow police spokeswoman Robbie Johnson told Fox News Digital.

Idaho murders: White car spotted in footage obtained by police one day after killings

It's been reported their ride was a safe sister program affiliated with the university and LE have long declared them not involved in the crime.
Thanks for the clarification. I just haven't been able to find a link but that's fairly clear that LE isn't saying they're looking for a driver that dropped the girls off. I found the Fox News report very confusing when first reporting a car coming and going at 1:45 and then a sedan at approx 3:45, etc. Thanks.

Good ideas, but I’m 100% on the White Elantra.

It goes in and doesn’t come out Taylor - and no one comes forward in this small town to explain they were innocently driving by, and I can explain all that.

I think we’re going to find out they see it on King or Queen and that’s when they launched the Car hunt.

They said immediate area of residence.

Thanks

MOO.
Can we assume it didn't come out by Taylor Ave? I know the guy on Linda Lane didn't mention it came out.

Its the most direct way in and out, so otherwise the killer went through a labyrinth to get out

Just from my experience as a woman, I cannot imagine these girls telling SUCH detail about a stalker to this store clerk.

Yes, the girls seemed vivacious and extroverted, from what we see, and I could MAYBE see them answering that they're in a group because one had a stalker.

However, this clerk went into great detail regarding said stalker, and it just feels off to me. At most I would think the girls would just say "we feel safer in a group" and leave it at that.

I agree about being friendly and chatty with clerks whom we see frequently, as @seemstome said, so I figured that perhaps they went there daily.
Once he said they've been there a total of 6 or 7 times, I felt like nope, that's not frequent enough to spill every minute detail about where and when there was a stalker.

Also I totally agree with @jcamh---they died mid-November, he claims he last saw them three weeks prior---he would've definitely said something about have a fun Halloween rather than leaping straight to Thanksgiving.

I agree with @las726 that the vibe is weird. I don't think he's a bad dude or a suspect and it could just be the 15 minutes of fame, wanting to feel that he has something important to add to the conversation or whatever, but it just, in my opinion, seems like an implausible scenario. Not impossible but unlikely.

Jmo
I would be nervous being recorded with the cameras and not being able to think clearly in a fluid way. I would say something like "Happy Thanksgiving" when I meant to say happy Halloween. It is more likely the setup of the interview, some assumptions made about what was heard. The girl may have been speaking to each other as well for him to gather an idea about a stocker. However, lets be open minded, I suspect someone would be reinterviewing him at some point to clarify,

The Uber rumor persists, it just won’t go away.
I believe K's sister was the first one who mentioned an Uber in the early days, but then that was later backtracked. But if you read early reports, that was what was being said, and it would have been easy to just assume that still remained as true. (Kind of like how I'd internalized the 3-4 am timeframe from early reports without ever realizing the mayor had said that until people brought that up here.)
Thanks for the clarification. I just haven't been able to find a link but that's fairly clear that LE isn't saying they're looking for a driver that dropped the girls off. I found the Fox News report very confusing when first reporting a car coming and going at 1:45 and then a sedan at approx 3:45, etc. Thanks.
You're welcome! K's dad is actually the one who finally mentioned that it was a sorority program, but I think it explains why the police in their updates always called it a private third party, ruling out an Uber or similar service but also just a friend casually giving them a ride.

He also disclosed publicly for the first time that his daughter and her best friend, Madison Mogen, used a sorority designated driver service to get them from the Grub Truck downtown to their home at about 1:56 a.m. the day of the massacre.
Police previously said the women had used a "private party" driver.

On Dec. 7, the MPD update distributed read in part:

"If you know of or own a vehicle matching this description, or know of anyone who may have been driving this vehicle on the days preceding or the day of the murders, please forward that information to the Tip Line."

That with respect to the white Hyundai Elantra....To date we have been made aware of (2) potential video records of the vehicle in motion in the early hours of Nov. 13. That information became available to us via MSM and in at least the Lane example, due to their own investigations. We also know from MSM that they have been elsewhere in pursuit of video or sightings of that vehicle....presumably for more than a week.

Interesting that no report to date of anyone recalling sighting or reviewing recordings or otherwise providing LE with tips on locations of that vehicle at any time prior to Nov. 13.

Does the possibility remain that this vehicle was only in town for a few hours prior to the murders?

Just my observation; MOO.

True. The Mobil station woman said that at 3:45 AM the vehicle, westbound on White Ave., turned onto Troy or Hwy 8, and then turned onto a side street. Police haven't released additional details.

However, the same possible car that was westbound on White Avenue at 3:45 AM was also westbound towards the murders at Linda Lane at 2:45-3:15 AM. That is 5 minutes from the murders.

Perhaps the first time the car was seen on CCTV was to commit the murders, the second time was to avoid detection and taking backroads after the murders?

View attachment 387932
I think it went north then made a sharp left west but thats just my opinion

The car seen on White near the gas station at 3:45 seemed to be traveling west towards 1122, not away from it.
ICBW but I personally don’t think that this vehicle is the one Moscow PD is looking for. For all we know, they have 10 or 15 videos of small, older, white vehicles from that night that they have retrieved or people have turned in.
We know about this one because the manager told the press who are stationed all over Moscow waiting like hungry dogs for any little crumb that might be tossed at them.
Note, the night manager was quoted stating the car was passing by on Hwy 8 turning off a side road. This would mean traveling east. The timeline of 3:45 AM would correspond to a time well after passing West by the neighborhood, and household on a hill, that initially spotted the car around 3:15 AM.

Last edited:
it looks like an Veloster but they share parts. Could be the speed distorted the car as it drove by
looked at more sedans today and the Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima and older Ford Focus and Chevrolet Malibu all have very similar side profiles- identifying names and symbols are never on the side....I assume (?) LE knows they are looking for an Elantra, but for the average observer looking at white cars- the side profiles are really similar, IMO The back of the Veloster is really rounded off and I always thought it was distinctive, but in a blurry picture with no spoiler... eh.

The Moscow police statement supports what our own old cop says:

Investigators told Francetich they planned to run the video through "their special analysis tools."
It's unclear if the white car in Francetich's footage is the same Hyundai Elantra police are trying to track down.
"Investigators are looking at it along with other things we’ve received from the public," Moscow police spokeswoman Robbie Johnson told Fox News Digital.

Idaho murders: White car spotted in footage obtained by police one day after killings
Does anyone have an idea of what these “special analysis tools” would do? All I could think of was sharpening a blurry video. Are there other tools?

Sorry, the context of your post isn't clear so my apologies if my response sounds off.
What's leading you to believe that nearby business weren't checked? We have received no information either way.
But it would be hard to believe that an officer wasn't sent to all nearby gas stations to speak to the person working at the time of the murders. That would be pretty standard protocol.
Thank you, you are right! :) My post is a bit all over the place and not clear.

I guess I got the impression from the article that the clerk and gas station wasn't approached by LE and she discovered the car footage and/or it wasn't turned into LE as she still had the digital copy and took pic with her cell phone. So I got the impression that gas station was missed or not canvassed.

I don't want to bog down the thread with my thought, as it was merrily a curious thought! I was more or less hoping to gain some clues/insight into the trail LE may have been following.

looked at more sedans today and the Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima and older Ford Focus and Chevrolet Malibu all have very similar side profiles- identifying names and symbols are never on the side....I assume (?) LE knows they are looking for an Elantra, but for the average observer looking at white cars- the side profiles are really similar, IMO The back of the Veloster is really rounded off and I always thought it was distinctive, but in a blurry picture with no spoiler... eh.
yeah tough to tell w so many unknown variables im 50/50

There is another gas station, a Chevron, further east along White Avenue, (at 1418 E White Ave) straight to the east of the Mobil station. I wonder if it had any security cameras, that might have caught the white car heading west on White Ave at about 3:45 am.
Me too, I'm hoping all the businesses with camera footage are being analyzed. I'm sure they are but it takes time. I was trying to gauge any trail or direction LE may have thought car was going (or not going).

I think the important thing to note on the car in the gas station video is the black A pillar, the main post leading to the roof along the windshield. That sure looks more like a Hyundai Veloster to me. An Elantra would have a white A pillar

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that LE has more video than necessary, even from major highways. LE not only has to find the perp but must have proof of the perp in the area and video footage, purchase receipts and phone pings are routinely used. I'm a big "The First 48 Hours" fan and after every crime, detectives round up video, phone records and receipts from the crime scene fanning outwards to gather identifying info.
Yes, I was thinking "First 48" too, used to love that show. I thought by article maybe those areas weren't hit on foot yet but I think I misunderstood the article and order of events. Can't imagine all the digital forensics they have to sift through.

TRANSCRIPT
CAPTAIN DISCUSSES VIDEO SURVEILLANCE

15TH. DECEMBER.

Question - Take us back when Investigators first started asking for video. What sources were you asking to get video from?.

Captain - Well, we started looking for video the day of the crime. Officers on scene, before I even arrived, had identified certain residences in the area that had video cameras. We know, just from past experience, that security cameras, doorbell cameras and the like are very, very commonplace now. And, that's a part of our standard procedure is to start looking for a possible video source in and around the crime scene. So, we started the day of the crime and then that expanded as we got more investigators to the area for assistance and we started putting together teams and one of our teams sole job was to go through the King Rd. area, associated neighbourhoods and eventually the main thoroughfares in the City of Moscow, trying to identify videos, video cameras etc., and then contact those business owners, contact those residents and ask for copies of that video.

Question - Initially, there was a particular area outlined as where the priority was for asking for video. Why was that area selected?.

Captain - Well, that area was selected because, essentially, it surrounds the King Rd. area and we know that people typically have to travel to and from. We weren't trying to pigeon hole our investigation into - the suspect lives in the area. We wanted to make sure that we covered all the bases and so, as we began to gather more information, we began to expand our search area. You may recall from the second press conference that we specifically put out a plea to the public for any video in the King Rd. area and then we gave a defined area, and we put that area on our website as well, asking residents, 'hey, if you have video or if your neighbour has video, let us know so we can get a copy of that'. We understand that video has a finite life and sometimes systems will start recording over themselves. So, we started that process very, very early in the investigation.

Question - Why ask the public for additional help with this white car?.

Captain - Well, through our tips, through our leads, some of the evidence that came in, we started to identify patterns and, like we said earlier, we are confident that the occupant or occupants of that vehicle have information that's critical to this investigation. We also understand that even though there is sometimes a fascination with a particular case, some people simply don't see the news and may not know that we're looking for it. So, if we get the word out there, 'hey, maybe your neighbour has one in the garage they don't drive very often. Maybe there's one that's just not on the registration database'. Let us know. So far, we have a list of approximately 22,000 registered White Hyundai Elantra's that fit into our criteria that we're sorting through. That's an awful lot of information, but it may not be all of them. So, the public can help us with that.

"At 1:56 a.m., a neighbor’s surveillance camera showed Ms. Mogen and Ms. Goncalves returning to the house, Ms. Goncalves’s older sister said.

So is this a discrepancy or were there 2 x cars there? The 1.45am appears to match the LE time of K & M returning home & the 1.56am appears to match K’s sister’s time of K & M returning home. It can’t be both? MOO

Can we assume it didn't come out by Taylor Ave? I know the guy on Linda Lane didn't mention it came out.

Its the most direct way in and out, so otherwise the killer went through a labyrinth to get out
Yes, he chose the labyrinth.

Cam owner notes the suspected private driver (1:45 am) is seen coming and going.

I think it’s clear - it was seen zooming Westward on Taylor and not seen again.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member