ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they have access to records of times, dates and ingoing and outgoing but not the content unless they have Kaylee's phone to read texts.

I'm on a self manage plan where I can view my phone records in real time, it's a log only - not what's contained in photos or texts. I can see file type (text or media/photo), date, time and the phone number outgoing and receiving.
Kaylee was on their phone plan so I think they would have been able to access or ask for a copy of her texts and voicemails. Her family has never specified whether it was calls, texts, or both to JD but IMO it sounded like both and it sounded like they had seen/read them.

Today LE announced they have over 10,000 phone tips. Pre white Hyundai Elantra it was under 3,000 phone tips. So tips increased by over 250 percent since they said Hyundai Elantra. I assume they are getting flooded with white car tips right now.
I would hope that there is in today's technology a way to intelligently identify patterns in the tips from a large sample size as 10K. Voice to text and online submissions may be combined. They may be able to identify language patterns and voice patterns to distinguish similar patterns. Perhaps, filter for specific criteria that they are interested in. Of course, there is machine learning where a sample of criteria are compared to those 10K tips. I would be very surprised if this not used in some parts of the investigation. We have the capability to apply all types of information processing to help narrow the leads.

Given that Kaylee's family already has access to her phone records, think this would have already come out by now. Think whatever Maddie told him was unrelated and probably pretty insignificant.
I think they have access to records of times, dates and ingoing and outgoing but not the content unless they have Kaylee's phone to read texts.

I'm on a self manage plan where I can view my phone records in real time, it's a log only - not what's contained in photos or texts. I can see file type (text or media/photo), date, time and the phone number outgoing and receiving.

Boston did an amazing job shutting down the city when they were chasing the marathon bombers. Worked very well. But totally different situation, they were actually chasing the brothers and ferreting them out.
Yes it was a totally different situation. Firstly there were DoD teams in Boston, pre-placed specifically there on the ground at the marathon route as they were with several large public sporting events.

And it was a multi-scene multi-city crime.
Bear in mind that the bombers successfully left Boston, committed a murder of a man in Cambridge Mass, and then had a shootout in Watertown Mass., and were located in a separate neighboring city of Watertown by Watertown Police and federal assets. So locking down Boston itself after they had fled turned out to not do anything.

Not sure this is allowed, but I never thought about the killer already being INSIDE waiting.

Death row inmate speculates that Idaho killer "was inside the house" | NewsNation Prime

Yeah, I had actually mentioned this earlier because I’ve seen this in a LOT of rape cases, where the perp is already in the house waiting for the victim. Of course SA was not the motive here it seems.

In one case the perp listened to the victims’ answering machine, and referenced messages from it during the rape. And as I mentioned previously, another case involved a guy hiding under a pile of blankets on the floor.

My friend who was raped said the guy had been in her house waiting, and when she came in the house she noticed the blinds were closed when she had left them open, iirc (I think that was her case, if not it was one I heard about).

Here’s one instance, a rapist linked to the murders of Cheryl Henry and Andy Atkinson via DNA:

“"Then she walked upstairs heading towards the bedroom and a man popped out of her bedroom door," Miller said.”

[...]

“The woman later discovered he'd disconnected the phone and put the receiver under the mattress.”

source

So, my point in bringing up these other cases, and jumping off your post, is it seems sometimes the perp not only can be waiting, but may want to prep the scene, fish around the house, take an item(s). Maybe he takes a thrill in this, being in her environment, going through the drawers, or whatever, but again perhaps this is more where sexual assault is involved, but maybe as mentioned, the killing itself was the sexual gratification.

Kaylee was on their phone plan so I think they would have been able to access or ask for a copy of her texts and voicemails. Her family has never specified whether it was calls, texts, or both to JD but IMO it sounded like both and it sounded like they had seen/read them.
Kaylee's parents said she was on their phone plan. But, she could also have a separate phone plan using a different phone. I wouldn't want to limit her phone options to just that phone.

And then the minute the killer has a craving to murder someone that he can’t stifle and he kills a brunette instead of a blonde, what good did informing the public of that do? Actually, it did the opposite and made brunette females unsafe because they thought they were in the clear and didn’t pay attention to their surroundings.
Person already did…plus a brunette male

Forgive me for repeating this question, I had asked in the last thread if the victims’ funerals were open or closed casket, or varied, but didn’t see the answer. Sorry if I missed it. The reason why I’m wondering is based on the idea on if one victim may have possibly sustained defacement/disfigurement/facial injuries. Sorry, this is a terrible question I know, :( , but thinking about this as related to the psychology of the offender, and possibly motive/targeting, etc.
IIRC, K and M were cremated. E was mentioned as "Laid to rest" which sounds like burial, but I don't actually know. I don't know about Xana.

I’m sorry, but this criticism is absolutely silly. Just because local LE has the ball, doesn’t mean they’re doing most of the work. They’re not. The feds and staties are running this show.

I don't know if this got posted since I am getting error messages:
On the Elantra:
I was in DC during the hunt for "the white van" of the Beltway Sniper(s). It caused a massive law enforcement distraction and a public panic. Helicopters were following "suspicious" white vans. The actual killers never had, and never used a white van.
The white Elantra may be a crucial and key lead, it also may be a gigantic and irrelevant distraction. Not to mention there is no more common vehicle in America than white four door sedan.----

On Boston "shut down" for bombers:
It was a totally different situation.
A) Firstly there were DoD teams in Boston, pre-placed specifically there on the ground at the marathon route as they were with several large public sporting events.
B) Boston bombing event was a multi-scene, multi-city crime. the bombers successfully left Boston, committed a murder of a man in Cambridge Mass, and then had a shootout in Watertown Mass., and were located in a separate neighboring city of Watertown by Watertown Police and federal assets. So so called locking down Boston itself after they had fled turned out to not do anything. And in fact virtually all the non-local spectators left Boston before the final shootout with bombers
C) The Moscow town, the county and the state and federal authorities have no power to prevent anyone from leaving or restrict their movements whatsoever unless they actually have probable cause to arrest that individual.
This is a college town a few days before beginning of thanksgiving break. there were probable thousands planning on leaving town for the thanksgiving holiday, and thousands who were not planning on leaving , who also did over concern of the murders . There is nothing in US law that allowed cops to stop everyone from leaving absent probable cause for arrest.
The whole "don't leave town" is something said on fictional TV shows. A cop saying that to you can do nothing if you say, "OK, sure, I am heading to airport to leave the town/state/country, buzz off."

Kaylee's parents said she was on their phone plan. But, she could also a separate phone plan using a different phone. I wouldn't want to limit her phone options to just that phone.
Or, another sim in the same handset? I think most phones now are a minimum of dual sim

New info on the car will probably lead to a breakthrough. They've been looking for it since the start of the investigation.

Dec 19th article from The Independent: Idaho murders – update: Victim’s father says ‘Adam’ mentioned in new video isn’t a suspect in Moscow stabbings

"A local landlord has now indicated that police may have been focusing on the mystery vehicle long before releasing the details to the public and that the lead may have come from footage he handed over one day after the killings.

Kane Francetich told Fox News that investigators had reached out asking for surveillance footage from a camera on his six-unit rental building on Linda Lane in Moscow. The property is 0.3 miles from the King Road address where the killings took place.

Mr Francetich said he handed over footage from 2am to noon on 13 November.

The video captured a “white” or “light coloured” car driving past at around the time of the murders, he said.

The vehicle was travelling west on Taylor Road sometime between 2.45am and 3.15am, he said. Taylor Road is the main street which connects the home on King Road to Highway 95."
Perhaps someone could clarify for me as I seem to be missing something. How is it that we are given a half hour time frame of this car travelling west on Taylor Road when if they have this camera footage, they must know exactly what time it was travelling west on Taylor Road? Sorry, I’m not being obtuse, I really don’t understand the widened timeframe request?

To me , at a minimum, this slows down the investigation. I’m sure they have their reasons for not releasing anything more specific on the car…but I just can’t help but feel all of these tips are bogging down the tip line. Moo
I would expect that in today's technology that the tip line would be open to all input at a high bandwidth. It would seem that solutions to this would already be developed in our time. I see your point in bogging down the investigation. One pattern I have observed in postings in forums or public comments is that once an inconvenient truth about a person or entity is posted in which a consensus has brought the attention to person or entity of interest. A tactic to muddy up the negative attention is to publish or post, many times more than the original posters, content that highlights contradictions and junk comments such that any viewer would not want to read through all the disingenuous comments. The integrity of the original post and supporters is washed out. This is also observed by our media siding with a certain point of view. Likewise, I would expect that the many of thousand of tips can distort how a legitimate tip is viewed and perhaps desensitize the investigators. If you are looking for a specific pattern and there are a thousand variations on that pattern, what are the criteria for filtering. For example, what if 1000 of those tips reinforce each other to suggest the tip is a probable valid observation. Then, 2000 additional tips are a slight variation on those 1000. If the tip supported by 1000 observers does not result in an advancement in a lead, than to what extent will an investigation look through the 2000 variations. At what point do you include them in the investigation as a priority. I would hope that there are advanced analytics sorting through the tips and the professional contributors helping direct the investigation forward.

Perhaps someone could clarify for me as I seem to be missing something. How is it that we are given a half hour time frame of this car travelling west on Taylor Road when if they have this camera footage, they must know exactly what time it was travelling west on Taylor Road? Sorry, I’m not being obtuse, I really don’t understand the widened timeframe request?
Its not clear what you mean by "half hour time frame" I believe I read a specific time the car was observed. The murders have a time frame. The other time the "potential car" was identified had a specific time. Am I helpful ?

New info on the car will probably lead to a breakthrough. They've been looking for it since the start of the investigation.

Dec 19th article from The Independent: Idaho murders – update: Victim’s father says ‘Adam’ mentioned in new video isn’t a suspect in Moscow stabbings

"A local landlord has now indicated that police may have been focusing on the mystery vehicle long before releasing the details to the public and that the lead may have come from footage he handed over one day after the killings.

Kane Francetich told Fox News that investigators had reached out asking for surveillance footage from a camera on his six-unit rental building on Linda Lane in Moscow. The property is 0.3 miles from the King Road address where the killings took place.

Mr Francetich said he handed over footage from 2am to noon on 13 November.

The video captured a “white” or “light coloured” car driving past at around the time of the murders, he said.

The vehicle was travelling west on Taylor Road sometime between 2.45am and 3.15am, he said. Taylor Road is the main street which connects the home on King Road to Highway 95."
I’m a bit confused about the half an hour time frame of the car, if it’s on camera, don’t they have an exact time that it was travelling west on Taylor Road? I’m not understanding the ‘sometime between 2.45am & 3.15am’, why not release the exact time?

I agree that this is something to be positive about. They would not dedicate more resources to the case if they were out of leads to chase down.
Moo-
I agree , it’s definitely a good thing to have as many FBI agents on the case as possible.. but an additional 20 is a lot.

MOO- is it possible they added this many more FBI to the case because they received information or discovered evidence that may link whoever is responsible of this crime to another crime? I just find it very odd they went from 42 agents to 62 agents over night due to the number of tips they need to go through.

MOO- Especially for an agency that usually works very little on adult homicide cases. (FBI

I haven’t worked out other reasons they’d add more FBI yet… I need to read more on general FBI homicide assistance protocols… but something is telling me… they didn’t assign 20 more agents overnight due to an increase in the number of tips coming in that need to be sorted through.

This was the first thing I found on when FBI assists local PD on homicide investigations… I found it interesting.

Moo-

I agree , it’s definitely a good thing to have as many FBI agents on the case as possible.. but an additional 20 is a lot.

MOO- is it possible they added this many more FBI to the case because they received information or discovered evidence that may link whoever is responsible of this crime to another crime? I just find it very odd they went from 42 agents to 62 agents over night due to the number of tips they need to go through.

MOO- Especially for an agency that usually works very little on adult homicide cases. (FBI does a lot of different work, majority of which is not murder investigations).

I haven’t worked out other reasons they’d add that many more FBI yet… I need to read more in general about FBI homicide assistance protocols… but something is telling me… they didn’t assign 20 more agents overnight due to an increase in the number of tips coming in that need to be sorted through.

That large a number of added investigators just screams urgency to me. Why such urgency if the perpetrator is not a great risk to the general public.

Again… I could be way wrong, again, MOO.

This an article I found when I looked up when FBI assists local PD on homicide investigations… I found it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky