ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have a small Police Department with the power of State LE and Federal LE behind it and they can't locate a car? Does anyone else find this odd? Could it be that this car isn't that important and it's just something put out there to show that they are doing something?
I'm assuming they don't have a license plate number, so no. JMO

One of the many puzzling aspects of this crime that bends my brain is how, if the perp(s) made as clean a getaway as the general public is aware of, how did they integrate this into life today? Somewhere there is a person or persons who have compartmentalized this heinous crime enough to continue living (as far as we know). So are they in the woods somewhere Uni-bomber style with no attachment to the rest of civilization? Did they zoom off to begin a new life somewhere? If so, how are they pulling in an income to survive on? What stories are they using to explain themselves to the people they encounter in their new life? Are they still local to the area of the crime? If so, are they without contact with anyone else? How is anyone who did this crime also pulling off the act of continuing on? They have to eat, they have to sleep somewhere. I'm not asking how they have the gall, I'm speaking of the logistics. I think we know they have plenty of gall.

On another note, I think we get a decent measure of the investigation by Moscow PD's release about the White Hyundai:
"Investigators believe the occupant(s) may have critical information to share regarding this case".
An investigation lacking critical information isn't doomed, but IMOO doesn't seem likely to be circling the drain on an arrest/conviction without the Hyundai or some other large piece of the puzzle unearthed. I am not without hope and I believe the investigation will lead to an arrest and conviction at some point in time. I heard a podcast describe it pretty well: The investigation is like trying to walk across to the other side of a frozen lake. It has to be done very carefully at each step to avoid the whole thing cracking apart.
Please read about the BTK KIller:

Dennis Rader - Wikipedia

I think it's frustrating too, as a lot of cases go unsolved because of sloppy police work. These mistakes by police are often highlighted in true crime series and podcasts, which I do not inherently believe is wrong to do. After all, police should be held accountable for the mistakes that they make, just like any other job. However, the media circus around this case is not helping investigators in any meaningful way. The "armchair detectives" on Tik Tok are pushing bogus theories, urging people to send in these "tips" to the tip line. I agree that it's not just Tik Tok either, it's all the "news" outlets posting insane theories every hour. The Moscow PD is doing their best, I feel bad that they're being derailed by the theories being submitted. God, I hope this makes sense, it does sound a lot like a rant.
Makes perfect sense.
One media outlet seems to be primarily focused on repeating social media theories. Jmo
The last I heard the chief give numbers it added up to over 15,000 tips. They have to pay a team to slog through every single one and separate the rumors from the valid tips.
Thank goodness cooler heads prevailed regarding offering reward money for tips so early in this case, that would probably have doubled the TikTok tips.

7,650 emailed tips, 4,313 phone tips and 4,583 digital media submissions

So you have a small Police Department with the power of State LE and Federal LE behind it and they can't locate a car? Does anyone else find this odd? Could it be that this car isn't that important and it's just something put out there to show that they are doing something?
I don't find it odd at all. Have you ever lost your car keys, and you knew they were in your house somewhere, but yet you had to turn the house upside down to find them?? Now imagine that there are 100 more sets of car keys in your house that look the same. Now imagine that instead of your house, they are somewhere in your yard, your neighborhood. Get the idea?? I'm sure LE do not feel the need to just put something out there to satisfy some small portion of the public's doubt that anything is being done. They have far more important things to do. JMO

Last edited:
No, I don't find it odd at all at this point in time. It's pretty much like everything else that isn't found until it is.....it's always in the last place you look.
MOO

As far as how someone has compartmentalized, I think the holiday break/end of semester timing might really help with that. Even if the person isn't a student, everything changes in a college town when the semester ends/break begins. If they are someone who physically changes location during break/end of semester, it probably helps even more, imo.

I believe the questions that have been expressed are 1. Is the suspect a fellow student ? Most would lean toward the likelihood of a person living off campus and not involved with the University. We saw many examples where the girls had acquaintances off campus (assuming they are not part of campus.

2. Most have asked about the character of the individual. He is assumed very familiar and attached to the use of his knife. He is extremely violent and forceful in accomplishing what he intended. He had expressed rage with multiple stab wounds observed for each victim. He went to the home for a narrow time range. He acted when they would most likely be asleep. He left without being easily detected. He would lack a certain level of remorse and posseses a certain level of entitlement.

Could this person be familiar with this level of violence ?. A person with a criminal record and nonreformable.? Could they have felt that they had to complete the action in all four because the suspect was familiar with the 4. If he acted on his target then the others would be able to identify him. I believe the suspect resolved to kill all four before he arrived. An all or none decision. Suspect was unfamiliar with the two survivors.
The police claim there's no connect between this crime and the similar incident that occurred near Salem, Oregon last year. How they can conclude this I have no idea, since whoever committed the crime in Idaho is a completely unknown entity. I would check student records for any student who has transferred from a school near Salem to UI in Moscow. The two crimes are too similar to be dismissed out-of-hand.

The police claim there's no connect between this crime and the similar incident that occurred near Salem, Oregon last year. How they can conclude this I have no idea, since whoever committed the crime in Idaho is a completely unknown entity. I would check student records for any student who has transferred from a school near Salem to UI in Moscow. The two crimes are too similar to be dismissed out-of-hand.
I tend to agree. They don't know who committed the crime in Oregon. They don't seem to know who committed crime in Idaho either. So how can they know there is no connection?

Yeah, but I still find it strange that a white/light coloured sedan was heading towards the house around 02:45-03:15. That's almost perfect timing considering the last calls were made around 02:45 I believe. If it was some random killer, wouldn't it be more likely he was waiting there longer (if the car has actually anything to do with the crime).
I recall there was a white sedan similar to an Elantra across the street from where the underage drinking incident occurred at that time. It's facing east, not west, but there's a possibility it might have done a 180 somewhere along the way. It's also possible that this was the car captured on the Linda Street video.

Makes perfect sense.
One media outlet seems to be primarily focused on repeating social media theories. Jmo
The last I heard the chief give numbers it added up to over 15,000 tips. They have to pay a team to slog through every single one and separate the rumors from the valid tips.
Thank goodness cooler heads prevailed regarding offering reward money for tips so early in this case, that would probably have doubled the TikTok tips.

7,650 emailed tips, 4,313 phone tips and 4,583 digital media submissions
Thankfully, if a lot of people send in one of the same Tik Tok "theories" they can rule those out fairly quickly.

I was thinking about something today that I thought I would share with all of you.

I imagined myself being the poor soul in charge of this investigation. I asked myself how I would approach this.

I think I would treat this as 5 separate investigations. I would assign 1 team of investigators to each individual person.

Each team would investigate each murder as if it was specific to the individual they were assigned.

The 5th team of investigators would be tasked with looking at the other 4 investigations and looking for which conclusion looks like the most likely motive and determine if any commonalities existed between those 4 that might of lead up to the murders.

Even though this looks to all be one event from an investigative perspective I think it would be more effective to compartmentalize it into at least 4 subcategories.

Jmo of course but for whatever its worth I think that is how I would approach untangling this crime and finding the killer(s).

When you move states, should you change the plate on the car to match your new state of residence?

I'm not from the USA, my apologies.
It's not required, and I'd guess it depends on if the car is registered to the parents of a student, a lot of parents might renew home state lic plates from there. I didn't change my plates after moving to a new state til my old ones expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar