ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's news to me! Who made the request?

Something I noticed watching that bodycam footage... At the very beginning, the first officer on the scene is seemingly narrating the video.

Stop and watch.
Gotta wait for them to get up here anyway.
This is where we can stop, observe what's going on, see if there's any other activity we need to be aware of.
Now let's go make contact.

That just struck me as odd. I wonder if officers are beginning to treat bodycams as home videos, or some sort of performance art.
IMO documenting their actions on camera

Ex-boyfriend of Idaho student murder victim heartbroken as 'half of America' thinks he killed the 'love of his life' and her three friends, his aunt reveals​

Just for the sake of clarity...

This is from the latest press release on 12/19:
There have been numerous media inquiries about a 1999 double stabbing in Pullman, Washington, and the 2021 double stabbing (with one death) in Salem, Oregon. While these cases share similarities with the King Street homicides, there does not appear to be any evidence to support the cases are related.

There is no reference at all made to the June 13, 2020 Sandra Ladd murder in Washougal, Washington, which also occured on the 13th, between 3:00 and 4:00am.

Saying there does not appear to be any evidence to support the cases are related is not the same as saying that the cases have been specifically declared unrelated.

I still see a pattern here:

Sandra Ladd - June 13, 2020
Travis & Jamilyn Juetten - August 13, 2021
XEM&K - November 13, 2022

Likely attacked in bed, while asleep, with a knife. All the incidents happened between 3 and 4 a.m. on the 13th of the month, 14 & 15 months apart.
If it does turn out to be related, that's a dangerous escalation. Doubling victims every time. JMO

My observation has always been that they will remember minute details about things that matter to them personally.

For example, a student who cannot sequence a story will remember every arcane rule of football, if that is a passion.

I would presume that those near the heart of this tragedy will be more adept at remembering details because this MATTERS to them and took place in their sanctuary of college life.

However, as you know, since they were not primed prior to the murders to pay attention to details, they may not recollect pertinent aspects of what occurred earlier.

We here at WS are attuned to true crime since we have an interest.
I can only hope that the wider world is also attuned in case someone does indeed spot the Elantra in question.

Jmo

Yes. In my field we call that "emotionally tagged" memory or a similar term. I start with measuring students' memory various forms of "neutral" information (random number sequences of no interest and with no meaning). The students who do best on that (and that's a bell shaped curved, often with 1 major outlier who remembers random numbers better than anyone else - always interesting to interview them). Then I use nearly neutral information and the promise of a better grade to incentivize them using their memories.

If there's emotionally laden material in what they are trying to observe/remember everyone does better overall - but they only remember the emotionally laden material, not whatever else is happening. Stick a puppy in the scene and they will remember what the puppy was doing but lose track of their main assignment (to describe the whole scene, with emphasis on human doings).

Even the estimated size of objects (including objects we have handled in class and measured) is affected in memory by the emotional valence of the scene.

People who score high on all these memory measures also score higher on MMPI style tests on "vigilance." Extra vigilance is, in turn, associated with nursing and other allied health professions, military training, police training, and the experience of trauma. I take kinship information from them too, so I know that children of policemen or nurses tend to be more "vigilant."

Kaylee pledged her sorority in fall 2019, just months after her high school graduation, I believe. She was able within her first few months of university to understand and perceive the general "look/style" for her new sorority and to learn the typical postures and facial expressions in use in that organization. To me, the various sororities have their own "looks," although TBH, I cannot completely tell them from each other by just a couple of pictures. IOW, all of the sororities have some typical postures and styles that they share.

I actually did have a full time job when I was a HS senior, and it absolutely tanked my grades. Getting home finally at 11pm to start math homework. I suspect the Mom was meaning something like "She always had a job" Given the pressure, stress, agony the Mom is undergoing, it's natural to present her daughter in the most superlative terms. I worked all the way thru the U, while studying science, but not more than 4 hours a day, then I maxxed it out in the summer. We have to give KG Mom some slack.
agreed! That’s kind what I figured was meant, she had a job in HS and throughout college. Which is much more feasible, not necessarily full time

That would mean march 2024.

The time between attacks didn't double (if one takes those attacks as a series).

IIRC, it's 14 months between 1 and 2, and then 15 months between 2 and this quadruple murder. It's the number of victims that's doubling.

Refractory periods can go up or down, depending on all kinds of variables. I always wonder what made Joe De Angelo quit being a serial killer (if he did, we may never know).

Interesting. That article says K and J broke up just 3 weeks before the murders.
Hmmm. Very interesting, indeed. It's the first time I've heard this information about the break-up.

We know that Kaylee was living w/her parents at the time of the murders and had returned to Moscow that weekend on a whim to show her new car to Maddie, so the trip was spur of the moment and not planned.

It's starting to sound like everything was coming to a head for Kaylee at that time: graduating college, she had secured a job in Texas and was moving away, she bought a new-to-her car, AND she broke up w/her longtime boyfriend of 5 years. That is A LOT going on for such a young girl.

So, IF the dog was in an unoccupied room, say, behind closed doors.... maybe that is why KG was calling ex bf to find out if he came and got the dog. Just wondering / thinking out loud as we've been speculating about the purpose of the calls.
At the very beginning of the case, it was reported that K's sister saw a neighbor's Ring (or similar) camera which showed K and M arriving home that night. The sister also reported (making me think it was visible on the video), that after arriving home, K/M let the dog out to go potty and then brought him back in.

IF that is true, then the dog was with the girls at that time. Whether they put him in an unoccupied room or whether the perp did, we do not know.

My theory is that K initially planned to sleep in her own bed, and she put the dog in her room as usual. She then for whatever reason ended up in M's room but the dog stayed in K's room. Theory only.

without links so MOO

With all of the DNA in that house, how can they sort it all out? I hope and hope LE I will make an arrest with a very solid conviction. I was wondering what I would do if I ever was a witness to something because I always thought I would come forward because it’s the right thing to do and I live my life by the law. But after thinking about it if I thought the killer would come after me and make me into chopped hamburger maybe I would keep my mouth shut. But maybe he would come after me anyway if he knew I saw something.

The time between attacks didn't double (if one takes those attacks as a series).

IIRC, it's 14 months between 1 and 2, and then 15 months between 2 and this quadruple murder. It's the number of victims that's doubling.

Refractory periods can go up or down, depending on all kinds of variables. I always wonder what made Joe De Angelo quit being a serial killer (if he did, we may never know).
Right. 16 months until the next one. Maybe my math was off.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
IMO, I think it would be really cool if Moscow PD/LE supplanted anonymous volunteer informants thru out Moscow at really busy times at strategic locations. Ie., Grandma and Grandpa could spend 90 minutes at the Mad Greek restaurant on a Saturday night having dinner and listening to all of the local chat, or young Johnny could be at the local bowling alley chatting up the college students. I grew up in a small city of 80,000-100,000 people and I know that people in small cities and towns love to gossip. I think it would be interesting to know what those informants would “overhear”. Unfortunately, I know rumors and gossip are frowned upon as not being legitimate information, but I can’t help think “ where there is smoke…there is fire” and that within every rumor therein lies “ a kernel of truth”. Just a thought about how local townsfolk could get involved surreptitiously to aid in the investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member