ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, she likely could have found a similar job closer to Idaho. Perhaps her BF was thinking of moving to Austin, as well.

I do not know what kind of break-up it was, because all we have are Mrs G's words on the topic, so far. She loves and accepts JD as if he were her son, so of course she wants to think they would get back together. Party house life can be a stressor for a young relationship, that's for sure.
the fact that she and MM are calling him 10x and asking him to come over makes me think that they are still close- not a real breaking up...and they did get the dog together, which, IMO, is many couples' "first child." (I have been totally wrong about people on WS before, and I know it, but IMO IMO) Some people do grow apart over time, and others wind up back together.

Snipped for brevity.

Bingo. This was a killer CONFIDENT in using a knife and it was paramount in the method of killing. They wanted the *intimacy* of the kill (up close and personal). This doesn't mean the killer had a personal vendetta with the victims, but that they had a need to envelope themselves in the process of the kill. Chilling stuff. Someone like this won't be satisfied with *one and done*.....the urge will reawaken...as it has done in the past. MOO.
Agree fully with this take. One thing I've been ruminating on related to the killer's confidence using a knife: Was he so supremely confident that he didn't believe he would leave behind DNA?

I know there's a lot of DNA for LE to untangle and make sense of in this house. Still, it would seem there was a non-negligible probability of the killer spilling DNA, either through knife slippage or defensive wounds. Would the killer have taken extra precautions (i.e., special gloves/attire) to protect against this possibility? What are the chances that he didn't leave DNA at the scene at all?

If LE can in fact isolate the killer's DNA, isn't there a very good chance they'll be able to identify him via GEDmatch?

It's probably a good idea for close associates and family members of victims to avoid social media (or at least develop a very thick skin in response to what is said there) until the unfettered craziness that tends to erupt there after a violent crime subsides.

Unfortunately, LE must look at those close to the victims as, statistically, the perpetrator is often in that circle. And since the 3 female victims and KG's ex all came from the CdA area, KG's ex would likely be considered part of the social circle of all 3 of the female victims. Add in a recent breakup and there could potentially be a related motive.

A recent breakup could also bring OTHERS under the umbrella of suspicion, such as guys who'd long harbored an interest in KG and with a breakup saw an opportunity and then had been rejected, overlooked, or otherwise dismissed. Same goes for young women who might have harbored an interest in KG's ex and still considered KG an impediment to gaining his undivided attention.

It would be malpractice NOT to consider close associates and recent breakups. In considering possibilities, LE would likely start close and work out from there as close associates could be lifted from suspicion based on solid alibi or mismatch with the evidence gathered at the scene and from other sources (interviews, surveillance, etc.).

Hoping this is resolved soon for all who are so negatively impacted.

IMO JMO MOO Not to be construed as any kind o' fact...

But the bolded bit was my first thought, and here's why:

Sometimes, there are those guys who totally crush, but who can deal with not being the one because of the b/f you have. Sometimes, because women might not want to hurt feelings, we just use the 'I have a boyfriend, but you'd totally be on the list otherwise' excuse. Sadly, I know I and my friends have used that one. Potentially, that could lead to some real disappointment. ***THIS IS NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS VICTIM BLAMING EITHER. As I said, I've done it, friends have done it, it's more of a pity thing used only for those guys who are more sensitive and don't need more rejection, or at least that is when/how I know it's been used - just my experience only***

Another thing I could see potentially happening is that the killer knew this was his last chance, and his obsession with her made him act before she left and before the weather made it much more difficult for him to carry about his plan (footprints in snow, blood drops on snow, etc.).

again

And of course, all of this is assuming the KG was the intended target, and we do not know that, so again JMO etc.

Editing to add another thought: JMO IMO but if there was someone obsessed with KG, her recent breakup may have meant she'd be sleeping alone, without the ex...

Last edited:
Car wraps? That’s an intriguing coincidence. (People have speculated that the Elantra may have been turned white by use of a car wrap.)

However, in real life coincidences happen. Happen a lot. This isn’t a well-designed novel or play.
I have heard a few posters mention the possibility that the Hyundai Elantra may have been wrapped, but an average wrap on a compact car starts at about $2000. I just don't think it is likely that someone would spend that kind of money to wrap a 10-12 year old car, in order to commit these murders, and then peel it off immediately after, in order to avoid detection. With the know-how, and ideally a helper, you could do it yourself, but the vinyl and tools would still cost probably $1000 minimum. JMO

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
Thing is, she likely could have found a similar job closer to Idaho. Perhaps her BF was thinking of moving to Austin, as well.
IMO IME :) Austin is a totally fun town, so maybe she just wanted adventure and a ton of opportunity? TX is booming 7 Reasons Why People Are Moving to Texas

And maybe he was going to join her? good point.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO
First I want to point out I have two normal non deviant kids
But as a mother of two teenagers the number of conversations I hear with them and friends around how crimes are committed or movies gruesome is frequent !
Their first words on reading if this case was oh like the criminal minds episode . I myself eve. Got drawn into the discussion how to evade cops whilst watching a tv show here in oz like the amazing race where couple escape capture. My son became very alert to the locations of neighbourhood cameras and shops etc! He’d joke w me that I would have been found cos of the number of times I used my bank card not cash meaning I was traceable .

This suspect is heavily into fantasying about crime and watching tv shows like criminal minds etc to gain “tips” . He / they read articles of unsolved events on the internet.
The suspect is smart enough to not talk at the moment and smart enough to have hidden their tracks
I believe ( imo) they will crack however when questioned hard by police .

Plus this state being a death penalty state means the parents aren’t likely to encourage them to turn themselves in
However , if they do it again then the parents will ring it in

So who is it? I absolutely do not know
Why…. It’s a crap thing to say - but for their entertainment
What do LE have? Not enough!! Or they would have this person as I’m sure every uni in the country wants it solved
My opinion, and it's based on what you shared on how kids can have access to crime knowledge, is that this could be a juvenile (powerful/big 17-year-old) and another factor as to why LE cannot announce their suspect.

<Idaho juvenile justice more secretive than adult system>

the fact that she and MM are calling him 10x and asking him to come over makes me think that they are still close- not a real breaking up...and they did get the dog together, which, IMO, is many couples' "first child." (I have been totally wrong about people on WS before, and I know it, but IMO IMO) Some people do grow apart over time, and others wind up back together.

I have entirely different views on what the calls mean. And I realize that my view is probably unusual or unpopular. Both of us are merely speculating - but my view is different.

Yes, they did get a dog together. And just like having a baby, sometimes that makes a relationship stronger and better - and a lot of times, it might not. Sometimes people get a dog to try and fix a relationship as well.

IME, most people who break up do not get back together, but some certainly do. I know someone named Mary Lee Lee Lee Lee (due to marrying and divorcing the same guy FOUR times). She's in her early 70's now and last divorce was maybe 20 years ago. I made the name up.

So it could be either way. They might still have been close, but she was still packing her stuff and leaving to live a long way away. I believe strongly she was going to take the dog, as well, IMO (her ads for a roommate/living situation in Austin).

MOO.

Agree fully with this take. One thing I've been ruminating on related to the killer's confidence using a knife: Was he so supremely confident that he didn't believe he would leave behind DNA?

I know there's a lot of DNA for LE to untangle and make sense of in this house. Still, it would seem there was a non-negligible probability of the killer spilling DNA, either through knife slippage or defensive wounds. Would the killer have taken extra precautions (i.e., special gloves/attire) to protect against this possibility? What are the chances that he didn't leave DNA at the scene at all?

If LE can in fact isolate the killer's DNA, isn't there a very good chance they'll be able to identify him via GEDmatch?
MOO>>> Chances are very good. I would assume they had gloves on as well has head cover and robust clothing. Attacking by surprise probably insured that any defensive actions by the victims were *minimal* at best and certainly not sufficient to inflict wounds on the killer.
So what type of DNA could be left behind other than their blood? Other sources (spit..sweat...hairs) aren't likely, albeit still possible.

Last edited:
My opinion, and it's based on what you shared on how kids can have access to crime knowledge, is that this could be a juvenile (powerful/big 17-year-old) and another factor as to why LE cannot announce their suspect.

<Idaho juvenile justice more secretive than adult system>
I'm not sure what you mean about LE not being able to announce their suspect. What makes you think that they have a suspect? I've seen no evidence that they have one.

I agree that this perpetrator is probably fairly young. I would guess anywhere from 15 to 25.

University of Idaho President uses FB page and letter to the community to explain the situation:

Madison was a marketing major,

Kaylee was a senior in General Studies.

Ethan was majoring in Sport, Recreation and Tourism.

Xana was a marketing major as well.

The named tech firm in Austin where Kaylee was doing a paid internship (and was supposed to get a full time job in January) is called Extreme. I can only find one company in Austin with that name. It specializes in selling advertising banners and car wraps.
maybe this company

was supposed to be a "tech company"

I meant that if LE did have internal knowledge of a suspect, they would not share their suspect with the public due to the suspect being a juvenile, IMO.

I have heard a few posters mention the possibility that the Hyundai Elantra may have been wrapped, but an average wrap on a compact car starts at about $2000. I just don't think it is likely that someone would spend that kind of money to wrap a 10-12 year old car, in order to commit these murders, and then peel it off immediately after, in order to avoid detection. With the know-how, and ideally a helper, you could do it yourself, but the vinyl and tools would still cost probably $1000 minimum. JMO
U can buy all the stuff for 200. It's not easy tho. U can Plastidip a car a different color in a bout 5 hours and thats crazy easy.

I wonder why X's dad changed the lock in her bedroom's door recently.

And, does it mean that her bedroom wasn't locked that particular night after all?

You know, I saw/read the original interview, and Xana's mom seemed very unsure of the lock situation. She was not sure a lock had been changed or just fixed; or even which lock it was. IMO

I understand your point of view and agree to a point. People want to feel safe, they want to be able to send their children to school, their young adults back to campus, go about their daily lives, and celebrate the holidays in safety rather than fear.

What I’m unsure about is how PD can make people feel safe.
How can LE warn the public in any effective way other than they already have. People should be careful, take care of each other, be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, be ready to protect yourself. What else could they say that would not cause more problems?

Releasing a criminal profile would seem like a good idea, then they would know what type of person to watch out for and stay away from? I think that is a bad idea.
Profiling isn’t that exact of a science, the public would have reactions
-Against certain types of people, that could get out of hand
-Away from certain types not mentioned that could be dangerous

Some would act upon their own fears, delusions, anger, sense of justice, zealot mindset.
There is a more terrible idea- to these two things at the same time;
1) a profile on the killer
2) a monetary reward for information
Idaho is a gun toting state, like Texas. Someone would interpret that as a bounty. Vigilantes would bring someone, or someone’s head in a box to the Moscow PD.
Disgusting, yes. Fiction? No.

JMO
I really appreciate your thoughtful response. I think there is a large number of people in the Moscow area who believe the killer is someone close to the victims and that the police have eyes on him. I hope this is true (I guess). If it's not, I don't think it is necessary to release a profile or offer a reward. Just let people know that there is an unidentified mass murderer in the Moscow area or beyond. I don't care if it scares people. Scared college kids lock their doors and practice other security measures.

For a one off improv (especially at night) you could just roughly mask the head/tail lights/ windows and simply spray the car with any cheap water soluble or latex paint. It could then be removed by e.g. pressure washer. Cheap and quick.

Wow!! Someone here had posted that there was not a lot of coverage in Idaho of these murders. It is true, if you choose the Idaho Capital Sun.

In the Idaho Capital Sun there is an article on the murders is on page 8 from Home. Go to the bottom click Read More and you can choose from pages 1-179 +

In addition, I put these words into the search bar for the Idaho Capital Sun
Moscow murders- Idaho University murders
The article on pg 8 is the ONLY article that came up In the Idaho Capital Sun search!

How prominent is the Idaho Capital Sun compared to other online newspapers?
The article is a repost from Nov 29, 2022.

University of Idaho considering scenarios for spring semester as murder investigations continues

BY: KEVIN RICHERT - NOVEMBER 29, 2022 3:46 PM​

Idaho Capital Sun primarily covers politics. That's why you don't see more about the murders.

What if you worked at a place that did wraps?

(I agree that the idea that someone would wrap the car before the murders is preposterous, though). What is more likely to happen (and what I've seen college students do) is wrap the car *after* a certain kind of incident has occurred (and to do it through one of those companies that pays people "up to $800 a month" just to have their car wear the wrap).

No one would pay anyone $800 a month for Moscow Idaho-based cars - that's what people who drive the freeways all day long in big market areas like Los Angeles get. But free wrap plus a small monthly amount could be possible.

You know, I saw/read the original interview, and Xana's mom seemed very unsure of the lock situation. She was not sure a lock had been changed or just fixed; or even which lock it was. IMO
Just a quick thought, it seems to me that the whole idea of elaborate coded door locks (as in case of Xana's room) being any kind of obstacle is a non-issue when one considers that smart enough perp could simply... knock. Again these are not the front door opened to strangers, these are internal locks on doors separating "common areas" from bedrooms. It stands to reason that hearing an unassuming knock on a bedroom door, first thing that comes to anyone's mind (in a typical real world scenario) is that it's one of the housemates that needs something or maybe wants to talk face to face. That's it, no need to know/break any codes, force the door open or use a lockpick. Just my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214