ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why and how are some ruled out so quickly?
Why FBI profiling is especially critical in this investigation and why it is more likely to be lengthy.
Previously posted on earlier thread today and may answer some questions …. Great interview with Retired FBI Special Agent Steve Moore. No rehashing.
Alibi, bank statements, CCTV, verified job or school attendance, multiple witnesses seeing them elsewhere at time of murder, proven to be sleeping, etc.
Now we are 7 days into an investigation and 3 dumpsters have been seized and searched likely for clothing and a weapon. Hmmm, a lot can happen over 7 days. Why were they not searched on day 1 or two? If you wait 7 days at my house the trash has gone out twice.
Snipped respectfully
Would like to add that the LE announced in the latest PC that they found absolutely zero, nothing, nada going through the dumpsters.
i dont hear at any part that ethans brother was who the friends invited over to check on him? thats what was claimed in these posts, correct?

I listened to the interview with Ethan's parents and don't remember hearing that. Is that interview the source of this information, or is there another source/link?
I haven't transcribed that one yet, but I've listened to it all and I never heard them say that either. Not anything close. Link.

ETA: I think maybe there's some confusion because the parents said it was one of his siblings that called and told them that he was dead.

My first inclinations were that somebody knew one or more of the victims and had a grievance that prompted them to kill but I have to keep an open mind. It very well could be a stranger. Maybe he saw kaylee walking her dog, started stalking her. Maybe stole some mail to find out her name and googled it and found her social media sites. If you look on her instagram account, before her October post, her last post was back in May so this could have been around the October time frame when he first encountered Kaylee. OR, it could have been another one of the girls but after stealing mail to find out her name, he came across the other female names and searched them online. He's checking their instagram accounts everyday, he watches them at night through the back and finally decides to commit on Nov 13th and Ethen staying there was something he didn't take into account.

This would fall under a thrill kill. These people were full of life, alive and this killer, from his point of view, took pleasure in ending that. It's the proverbial party pooper, except a deadly version of it.

This guy is probably a loner. I noticed a lot of apartment buildings near the crime scene. This guy probably has a studio or 1 br apartment in one of those buildings. He's not sharing a house with other roommates. Just my opinion.

I

Early on in the investigation, the police told people not to worry, basically after four people were brutally murdered. The President of the University hinted same. His mission was not to cause panic.
When four people are savagely murdered, how can you say to people not to worry? This was irresponsible on LE's part. Presently, the police are advising caution.
If a rabid dog bit four people, would it be appropriate to tell the public not to worry? The dog probably won't bite again?

Interviews with Kaylee's sister. They were broken into soundbites posted on different days, so, these are the interviews (ones that I could find) combined.

Inside Edition. Posted 5 days ago.

Reporter - I spoke with OG (Kaylee's sister), who described the last night of the students lives.

Sister - My sister's did everything right. They went out in the buddy system, they went out together. They ubered out. They stopped and got food. They ubered home. They let their dog out to go potty and then they locked their house up. They did everything right and this still happened.

Reporter - The family of Kaylee Gonsalves pleaded with students in a statement:

"We urge you to refrain from spreading harmful rumors that aren't based in actuality. Misinformation is unfair to everyone involved."

Sister - We're mad, we're really mad. We know that there is someone who is responsible for this. We know that there's someone who saw something and no ones talking. We're not getting any answers and we're not gonna settle for that.

Inside Edition. Posted 3 days ago.

Reporter - OG isn't waiting for police. She's tracking down her own leads to find her sister, Kaylee's, killer.

Sister - We're not getting any answers, and we're not gonna settle for that.

Reporter - It was OG who found the potentially crucial video of her sister and Madison Mogen at a food truck, just hours before they were murdered. She also tracked down their Uber driver.

Sister - I found neighbour's ring and camera footage, so that I can verify that the Uber driver took her home.

Reporter - She's also raising questions about why her sister called a young man named J multiple times the night she was slain.

Sister - At 2:26 am., Kaylee starts to call J. Kaylee calls J six times, between 2:26-2:44 am.

Inside Edition. Posted 3 days ago.

(Discussing the food truck video).

Sister - Kaylee was aware of her surroundings, maybe a little over aware, which is also why all of this is so confusing to us because Kaylee's not stupid. She's a smart girl, she's a strong girl. She's a mean girl, she's a fighter.

4 News Now. Posted 4 days ago.

Reporter - Kaylee and Madison Mogen were more than friends. They were like family. Young lives cut way too short. Families are still searching for so many unanswered questions to this horrific tragedy.

Sister - Met, you know, in the 5th, 6th grade and that was it. Like, there was just no going back. They always had each other and K, Maddy's mom, has said, you know, she's always said 'you just need one good friend in life', and they were each others, one good friend, for better or for worse, because they had plenty of their fights. Honestly, most of the time, Kaylee's fault.

Reporter - The two were more like sisters, inseparable. Maddie was a bonus child to the Gonsalves family.

Sister - They did everything together and so it's unfortunate that they had to experience this tragedy together. But we are, we are taking a bit of consolation in knowing that they weren't alone, you know. We can't imagine what they went through, but it feels a little bit easier to swallow knowing that they had each other.

Reporter - Families coming to grips with so much loss as unanswered questions loom. Maddie and Kaylee went out to a bar downtown that night, not knowing it would be their last time.

Sister - And to the individual who did this - Your days are numbered. It's not a matter of if, it is a matter of when, and I would put everything in me on that. We have a lot of support from local authorities, from state authorities, from the FBI as well as four families. I'm just one piece of that.

Reporter - We know there are two surviving roommates. OG has tried to contact the two but has not heard from them. OG says she's frustrated with the limited information from police. She feels like there should have been more emphasis on the help from public in the first 48 hours of the investigation. She's asking you to call in anything you may have seen that night.

ABC article.

Kaylee's sister.

"I do truly believe that these girls probably feel so poorly. An absolute. Really traumatized," OG said. "I don't want them to feel that guilt, because I don't think that anything that they would have done could have changed this for the better."

ABC. Posted 10 hrs. ago.

Sister - So, I was able to get a pretty good timeline on Kaylee and Maddie that night of, from about 10:15 until shortly before 3:00 am.

Reporter - OG said she discovered at least 6 calls from her sister, Kaylee's, phone between 2:26-2:52 made to a boyfriend in the early morning of November 13th. Detectives now saying these phone calls are part of their investigation. Kaylee's family is firmly standing behind that boyfriend.

Sister - I know for an absolute fact that he is not a suspect, he's not suspicious. He is 100% innocent in this.

Kaylee's Mom.

NBC News. Posted 1 day ago.

Reporter - Police also looking into 7 phone calls made by victim, Kaylee Gonsalves, to her boyfriend around 2.26-2.52 am. But, Kaylee's sister says those calls were not out of the norm.

Mom - We do not believe she was calling him for help. We believe that she was just calling him to come over. If Kaylee was in eminent danger, her or Maddie, they would have called 911. They would not have been calling this person.
This part of your post might indicate Kaylee and Maddie were found in the same room:

Sister - They did everything together and so it's unfortunate that they had to experience this tragedy together. But we are, we are taking a bit of consolation in knowing that they weren't alone, you know. We can't imagine what they went through, but it feels a little bit easier to swallow knowing that they had each other.

In a different interview, Ethan’s mom commented that Ethan and Xana were “in the same room” and I suspect that suggests they were found in the same room, though neither statement (Kaylee’s sister’s nor Ethan’s mom’s) is 100% clear in that regard.

Yes, yes, yes! People keep speculating E got up and went to investigate, etc, etc. What we have been told is that all 4 were attacked in bed, likely while sleeping. No one went anywhere before they were attacked, and several didn't go anywhere at all. If anyone moved, it was likely as they were bleeding to death and trying to get away. I also believe the attacks happening in the beds would have kept the killer relatively clean as most of the blood would have a place to collect.
Perhaps Sleeping WHEN initially attacked but then I believe Xana and/or Ethan woke up and perhaps tried to leave and escape after the physical altercation. Can happen even with lethal knife wounds. There was that one guy who got hit in the head with an axe and still made his morning coffee and went to get the newspaper out front before collapsing on the stoop.

Police "clearing" of people and situations - Is this a "game" with strict rules? If the cops say someone is clear or a situation is unrelated, is that 100% inviolable truth? Seems to me that being forced to play by such stringent rules would be counterproductive to an investigation.
no one is really cleared cleared until they have a suspect, i bet you all the people who have been "cleared" in the media are still being looked into. investigators can even publicly clear person of interest to make them comfortable and possibly slip up

Another possible angle for discussion is, what if the objective of the crime was to shock, disrupt and terrorize society - literally terrorism? Someone with a societal or political axe to grind. Regardless, I hope they find the perp soon before striking in the same area or somewhere else.
MOO

This does NOT look like an ex-bf (domestic) situation to me. Too many victims.
I’ve seen multiple murders many, many times in domestic situations. Gosh one was at a hair salon close by in Seal Beach. Ex went in there and started killing.

But that’s usually via guns and I’ve never seen one where they have tried to hide their identity, except some family annihilators.

So when people who aren’t part of their nuclear family or household are also killed, and they were killed via a gun, mass murders by a disgruntled ex aren’t that rare.

But I’ve thought serial killer was a good possibility, from the beginning. I’m very open though. Especially given LE’s statements, the one girl’s parents’ statements about how LE is focusing on someone they feel they shouldn’t be and the weird phone calls.

no one is really cleared cleared until they have a suspect, i bet you all the people who have been "cleared" in the media are still being looked into. investigators can even publicly clear person of interest to make them comfortable and possibly slip up
Thanks. Thought so. Many people are insisting that when the cops say someone is "clear" or a situation is "unrelated", that's gospel truth.

But then why did the FBI recently open the tipline if they're so suspicious of one of the "cleared" people. Seems like they're a little more desperate than that.

I haven't transcribed that one yet, but I've listened to it all and I never heard them say that either. Not anything close. Link.

ETA: I think maybe there's some confusion because the parents said it was one of his siblings that called and told them that he was dead.
The first 20 seconds is this:
"...like the call we took from the kids um who were there..."

Ethan's own brother, his friends and his frat brothers were right across the street.

To me, it would stand to reason to go and get them for help if they thought Ethan was unconscious.

Would they go and get his frat brothers and friends yet leave his brother behind? That doesn't make sense.

The parents state "...like the call we took from the kids um who were there..."
I'm going to take their word on that.

Okay this is where lm confused. The other roommates found someone unconscious and called other friends to come over. How could they not see the blood? If they found this person outside the bedrooms why not go and check on the others or even to tell them the roommate is unconscious? Did they hear noise and that’s what led them to go check? They and these other friends are on the phone to 911 for an unconscious person and these friends also don’t check on the other roommates or wonder why they aren’t waking up with all the commotion? No-one checks until police arrive and find them?

Thank you! Are you thinking this because they say “they were there? I just listened to this interview this morning and didn’t hear they called Ethan’s brother to the scene. I will have to listen again.
They didn't say that E's brother or sister were at the house when the "unconscious person" call was made. They said that they found out about E's passing when the brother and sister called their parents. Also that Hunter and Maize "were there," that is, they also attended U of Idaho. That's how I heard what they were saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member