ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The jagged spine of a knife blade near the handle is a thumb grip, used during skinning.

Such a thumb grip would be irrelevant for use in a stab down action. It could be there or not, but it wouldn’t be used. So looking for such a knife with blade spine notches when it was used for stabbing doesn’t make sense.

I think the media grabbed Ka Bar and ran with it, instead of just saying long hunting knife.
Maybe the autopsy shows evidence such notches were present? I have not heard any reasons why they would be specifically looking a knife with notches.
IMO

It is all sick to imagine
I was also thinking about the murder weapon. Early on, one of the posters here said the knife is similar to combat knives used by marines during the 1940's. So its possible that the knife was handed down to the killer by his great grandparents or possibly bought at some sort of knife show, through a magazine or a knife dealer. What I'm getting at is this killer may have been very proud of his knife and was proud to show it off to family and friends. Someone other than the killer has seen this knife.

Since there was blood dripping through the floorboards and down the outside wall, I would say Xana's bedroom was the top left one by the kitchen.
I’m doing a little research on this. I know the coroner stated the possible presence of blood on the exterior of the house would have been consistent with her findings on-scene inside of the house but I am not taking her word for it as she isn’t that credible IMO and she also didn’t examine the supposed blood she was asked about.

I’m not saying it’s not blood, just that I personally need more concrete evidence for my own verification.

Someone upthread (I apologize that I forget who) mentioned a maintenance worker possibly, and that's an angle I hadn't considered but find possible. Because this was a rental, there would probably be a handyman/maintenance person who would come over to fix things in the house. They would be very familiar with the layout of the house and possibly even who was sleeping where if he's had to fix anything in bedrooms before.

Did a maintenance person come over to fix something previously and had a negative interaction with the housemates for some reason? I'd at least be curious to know the last time a maintenance worker was in the house. MOO
This says quarterly maintenance inspections.

Property manager references "frequent inspections" that she performed.

Someone upthread (I apologize that I forget who) mentioned a maintenance worker possibly, and that's an angle I hadn't considered but find possible. Because this was a rental, there would probably be a handyman/maintenance person who would come over to fix things in the house. They would be very familiar with the layout of the house and possibly even who was sleeping where if he's had to fix anything in bedrooms before.

Did a maintenance person come over to fix something previously and had a negative interaction with the housemates for some reason? I'd at least be curious to know the last time a maintenance worker was in the house. MOO
Or possibly a maintenance person who for whatever reason was a budding killer?

Over on the Maddie McCann case iirc there were maintenance persons who stole from holiday apartments and that was a conjecture that the current POI in that case might have scoped out the McCann's holiday apt before. So I mean if conjecture there, then possible here too.

I was also thinking about the murder weapon. Early on, one of the posters here said the knife is similar to combat knives used by marines during the 1940's. So its possible that the knife was handed down to the killer by his great grandparents or possibly bought at some sort of knife show, through a magazine or a knife dealer. What I'm getting at is this killer may have been very proud of his knife and was proud to show it off to family and friends. Someone other than the killer has seen this knife.

It is possible, then someone would have seen such a knife. IF they have social media they may have shown pictures of such a knife collection.
You can buy a KaBar knife from Amazon for about $100 that fits the description, so it may have been special and had meaning, or maybe bought for utility?
At least here in Texas tracking down the sale of such a knife would be a lost cause, every pawn shop, Target, WalMart, not to mention garage sale could have such a hunting knife.
The key would be if it is unique in some way to this crime- and how would they know that except from the autopsy?
I am not convinced the person who threatened people on the street Greek Row with a knife isn’t someone to look at- unless that was a pocket knife. It still seems unhinged
Does this city have a homeless population? I would guess not, it is politically conservative and also has a substantial winter, but I don’t know.

IMO MOO

I’m New To This site, But Just like The pike County Ohio murders, It’s Just Fascinating But Very Sad… It’s My gut feeling That If The killer Knew his victims It Will be traced back To The restaurant Where The 2 girls Worked, Maybe An Ex-coworker or current Or A customer Spurned by one of The 2 girls, I Hope L.E Is looking into This carefully, Also It could be a psychopath Who picked his victims randomly studied the House..ETC… one other thing The Dog being Skinned And fillet Is very disturbing, A person Who could do this Is one step away from Attacking humans! I Wonder With LE Keeping clues close to their vest if There might be Similarities.. It’s just So sad This person(s) Needs To be caught ASAP… One. question They say it Was done Sloppy? if DNA can be found does it mean they will catch the perp? or does His DNA have To be in L.E System

It certainly is blood.
You can see in the image how that one part of blood is dripping over the pipe...
so it isn't coming from the pipe but from the space above the pipe.
Not to mention, only 1.3% of homes in Idaho use heating oil. It's predominantly a north eastern US fuel source, and comparatively expensive for college housing, too...

<modsnip - not approved source>

Also, first post for me, an interloper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel it is a college student who knew all or some of the victims. I feel they may be in the ROTC program at the College. I feel this was done with jealousy and deep anger mixed with feelings of rejection.
I know Radar Online may not be the most credible source, but this article states they are looking into the weapon being associated with the university's ROTC program. Quadruple Murder Breakthrough: Police Zero In On University of Idaho Reserve Officers' Training Corps For Possible ‘Rambo’-Style Knife

That is a possibility. However thousands of these knives are made every year and it is a popular knife. I own one to use as a tool while camping in National Forrest. Its secondary use for me would be self defense.

Idaho State Police spokesperson Aaron Snell told the Statesman on Thursday that detectives visited several local hardware stores that may carry “fixed-blade type knives,” but that they weren’t solely asking about Ka-Bar knives.

….

Ethan Chapin, 20; Madison Mogen, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Kaylee Goncalves, 21, were stabbed to death early Sunday morning with an "edged weapon," according to police.

….

I haven’t seen anything that, for sure, places the dog at the house & have been wondering the same thing. If I was driving back to school for the weekend just to show off my new car & party a bit, I wouldn’t necessarily bring my dog for an hour & a half drive. Doggo could’ve also been with the boyfriend in the first place.
"On the night of the attack, officers located a dog at the residence that was unharmed. Police turned the dog over to Animal Services and it was later released to a responsible party."

Very possible. To me it lends to the theory that MM or KG were the target and the killer murdered XK/EC because that was the first bedroom he came across on the ground floor after entering through the sliding glass door. I lean more towards that he didn't know who slept where and was going to rampage through the home until he found his target and eliminated them.

If he wildly hacked at XK/EC just to get them out of the way, it's possible one didn't die immediately but could only make it to the doorway before blood loss made them collapse and this is who the surviving roommates saw coming up the stairs. The first floor stairs are in the far corner of the home so coming up them you'd be able to see someone sprawled out in the hallway, but may not notice anything else is amiss.
This is my theory too as of 11/22/2022 at 8:51am EST as I know as soon as I post this, some information will be released to contradict my theory.

I think one or two people may have been the target and X/E were killed because the killer encountered them. My only change from your theory was that instead of hacked wildly, I think the killer may have just stabbed them two or three times to incapacitate or kill them and moved on as soon as they fell unconscious.

I think the crime scene upstairs may have been more elaborate and brutal where LE would immediately think "targeted" since they have a comparison crime scene downstairs. Even further, if 3 people were stabbed a few times kill them (which is bad enough) but one person was stabbed dozens of times or worse, you may think immediately that person was the target and you might think it was "personal" where you will identify the killer immediately. That's what it sounded like from the initial comments from the mayor that were walked back.

What I don't think anyone anticipated though was with social media, people in an "outer" circle may feel very close to the victim in their own heads so the crime is committed more similarly to what you'd see in a personal incident then a stranger kill. Who knows but I think that would explain some of the contradictory releases we have seen.

Imo, moo Theory of the crime.

There is one killer and 1 target (K or M)
The killer watched the house until everyone settled. He entered through the sliding glass door. E is the biggest threat and if he wakes up he would be between the killer and exit. It would make sense to kill him while he's asleep and defenceless. He kills E, X wakes up and he kills her.

He goes upstairs. I believe K and M are in one room. The pictures of the "good vibes" room show a pristine white comforter and pillows. He kills them and leaves the way he came in.

The survivors were not in his way, he leaves them alive.

Basically he went in to kill 1 person, the others were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

View attachment 381843Found this Ka Bar with serrated top edge on Amazon.

This Ka Bar knife pictured is a serrated blade, not spine notches on the top edge.
Some people are thinking the knife weapon used has notches on the spine. Those could be for thumb grip or decoration or other reasons depending on where and how they are made.

I haven’t seen any evidence they know anything specific about the knife excrept for estimated blade length and width based on wounds.
In the beginning they were simply saying bladed instrument, as compared to blunt I guess.
Has anyone seen any evidence of knife details?
IMO

Not sure where I should post this but i keep seeing write ups say that ethan was a freshman. he was not. Before his instagram went private he had a photo dump of his freshman year which was Last school year. Xanas instagram has a post of her sophomore year and ethan is in the pictures! why would he be at college if he was still a senior in high school? Not that big of a deal but i feel like it's important to have correct information.

This is my theory too as of 11/22/2022 at 8:51am EST as I know as soon as I post this, some information will be released to contradict my theory.

I think one or two people may have been the target and X/E were killed because the killer encountered them. My only change from your theory was that instead of hacked wildly, I think the killer may have just stabbed them two or three times to incapacitate or kill them and moved on as soon as they fell unconscious.

I think the crime scene upstairs may have been more elaborate and brutal where LE would immediately think "targeted" since they have a comparison crime scene downstairs. Even further, if 3 people were stabbed a few times kill them (which is bad enough) but one person was stabbed dozens of times or worse, you may think immediately that person was the target and you might think it was "personal" where you will identify the killer immediately. That's what it sounded like from the initial comments from the mayor that were walked back.

What I don't think anyone anticipated though was with social media, people in an "outer" circle may feel very close to the victim in their own heads so the crime is committed more similarly to what you'd see in a personal incident then a stranger kill. Who knows but I think that would explain some of the contradictory releases we have seen.
Exactly! The 'crime of passion' theory can work even if it's not both ways. Meaning, it doesn't have to be an ex-lover for it to be a crime of passion. Could easily be someone who the target - again I think MM or KG - knew casually but based on social media interactions felt a deeper connection with the victim that never crossed the victim's mind. In the killer's mind, there is this deep love and affection but in the victim's mind it's just some guy they know or met at a party - no biggie.

Spitballing, but perhaps the target was KG because she posted pictures of herself frequently on social media and was a very attractive and outgoing girl. Someone who met her at one of the frequent parties the house hosted gets fixated on or attached to her. Then they see her posting pictures with other guys and/or J and the killer feels severely slighted. Like why is she doing that when WE have this connection, etc. This is the perceived wrong that makes him snap.

Not sure where I should post this but i keep seeing write ups say that ethan was a freshman. he was not. Before his instagram went private he had a photo dump of his freshman year which was Last school year. Xanas instagram has a post of her sophomore year and ethan is in the pictures! why would he be at college if he was still a senior in high school? Not that big of a deal but i feel like it's important to have correct information.
Maybe he didn't take enough credits to be a sophomore yet?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member