ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... back to mountain lions then?

Hah, just kidding, no disrespect meant. Just trying to inject a little lightness about the threads here into a frustrating case.

So... back to mountain lions then?

Hah, just kidding, no disrespect meant. Just trying to inject a little lightness about the threads here into a frustrating case.
BBM

:hills:
Thanks for the light humor. Much needed. Love it. :loveyou:

There are so many cases here on WS with no resolution and it is very frustrating. Especially when it's a little kid. :(

Occasionally there is good news. Ava Zechiel, 16, was found alive and well today after almost a week in the woods! Cause for celebration. :great:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...rokee-National-Forest-11-November-2015/page27

Great news about Ava :) it was interesting to see the different theories that people came up with on that thread too - from her school murdered her then pretended she got lost in the woods (but really she was never actually in the woods! Because the dogs found no scent!), to her evil school lost her in the woods, to she ran away and hid in the woods for 6 days because she's a naughty teenager/ to get away from her evil school, to she stayed with a friend for 6 days then went back into the woods and pretended to have been there the whole time, to she committed suicide in the woods, to it was a stunt she planned and wrote about in advance, to she ran away and hitchhiked and got a ride with a murderer... (at least a couple of those theories were mine, BTW :blush:

funny thing is, all these theories were plausible and you could make a good case for each of them with the evidence we had. We hadn't got to bears and mountain lions yet, but if she'd remained missing any longer... ;)

The conversation about DeOrr being taken by an animal reminds me of the case of Lindy Chamberlain in Australia whose baby was taken by a dingo while camping. It took thirty years for her to be fully vindicated, after being tried and convicted in the court of public opinion, the press and an actual courtroom. She was sentenced to life in prison, but it was eventually overturned. This is a fascinating article on the subject.

A point that hits home is the impact of the media, social or otherwise. Lindy felt judged whether she smiled or cried.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/u...an-scorned-by-australias-news-media.html?_r=0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Azaria_Chamberlain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_Chamberlain-Creighton

That was made into a movie with Meryl Streep wasn't it? I'd like to see that one again, it's been years.
Finally borrowed this movie, "A Cry In The Dark", from my library and watched twice just to catch so many details. A true Salem witch hunt in the 1980's before our "social media". Everything from editing by the news stations for sensationalism to the neighborhood and coffee shop gossip fests were ridiculous. A movie worth watching for so many who are depending on SM/FB to find new scoop and diss little DeOrr's family. MOO

Dissing the sheriffs office makes no sense either. The news releases we rely on come from law-enforcement. I wish we would get something new.

Dissing the sheriffs office makes no sense either. The news releases we rely on come from law-enforcement. I wish we would get something new.

No one was "dissing" the Sheriff's office, that's for sure. A discussion about SB took place but it should be clear that the purpose of the discussion was not to "diss" him.

Great news about Ava :) it was interesting to see the different theories that people came up with on that thread too - from her school murdered her then pretended she got lost in the woods (but really she was never actually in the woods! Because the dogs found no scent!), to her evil school lost her in the woods, to she ran away and hid in the woods for 6 days because she's a naughty teenager/ to get away from her evil school, to she stayed with a friend for 6 days then went back into the woods and pretended to have been there the whole time, to she committed suicide in the woods, to it was a stunt she planned and wrote about in advance, to she ran away and hitchhiked and got a ride with a murderer... (at least a couple of those theories were mine, BTW :blush:

funny thing is, all these theories were plausible and you could make a good case for each of them with the evidence we had. We hadn't got to bears and mountain lions yet, but if she'd remained missing any longer... ;)

That's so true though, and yes, with some cases you never know, there are indeed all kinds of possibilities.

I mean, looking at these babies, it's hard to imagine the predator that they become, at least for me. But I suppose more things are possible than we choose, or even want, to imagine. I am really praying this isn't the case for little Deorr. There's still a possibility someone has him.

Mountain%20Lion%20Cubs2.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...z1q_Vs9FUWkgs1Gvsc1dl_6A&ust=1447902585640284

Finally borrowed this movie, "A Cry In The Dark", from my library and watched twice just to catch so many details. A true Salem witch hunt in the 1980's before our "social media". Everything from editing by the news stations for sensationalism to the neighborhood and coffee shop gossip fests were ridiculous. A movie worth watching for so many who are depending on SM/FB to find new scoop and diss little DeOrr's family. MOO

Isn't that the truth. Not on SM myself, but maybe a long vacation from it wouldn't hurt to gather one's perspective .... JMO

So true! But in reality, they become dangerous long before they LOSE those spots!
I know it...its amazing. I never new so much about them till this case and wow!!! As deadly as they are they are truly an amazing animal.

original1.jpg

2037418.jpg

I think signs like this are a great idea. Just to remind campers to be extra vigilant about supervising their children closely at all times.

View attachment 84552

View attachment 84553

I think signs like this are a great idea. Just to remind campers to be extra vigilant about supervising their children closely at all times.

Absolutely! Every forest, hiking trail and camping area that is known to inhabit Mountain Lions should have these signs posted. I know I would have never even thought about a possibility of mountain lions in places we have gone, yet come to find out they surely ARE there.

Absolutely! Every forest, hiking trail and camping area that is known to inhabit Mountain Lions should have these signs posted. I know I would have never even thought about a possibility of mountain lions in places we have gone, yet come to find out they surely ARE there.

I don't know how much sense that makes. In the first place most people don't even look at the signs, then mountain lions have been found in larger towns. Any time that you're outdoors you really need to be vigilant, just this summer a neighbors dog went after one of my Granddaughters. I was only 8 steps away and got there before the dog got a chance to do anything. It's lucky for the dog that I wasn't fast enough to catch him, both of us would of been hurt. I think it's kind of like printing a line on a coffee cup, "caution contents may be hot". Isn't that something everyone should know? Or is that something everyone assumes, that they're safe everyplace they go.

I don't know how much sense that makes. In the first place most people don't even look at the signs, then mountain lions have been found in larger towns. Any time that you're outdoors you really need to be vigilant, just this summer a neighbors dog went after one of my Granddaughters. I was only 8 steps away and got there before the dog got a chance to do anything. It's lucky for the dog that I wasn't fast enough to catch him, both of us would of been hurt. I think it's kind of like printing a line on a coffee cup, "caution contents may be hot". Isn't that something everyone should know? Or is that something everyone assumes, that they're safe everyplace they go.

Personally, I'm as vigilant as they come, especially with children. But no matter how vigilant I may be, I would not EVER have thought about the presence of mountain lions. I also am curious where you got your statistics that no one reads those signs anyway. I read ALL the signs and pay attention to what they say. Would the average person know how to behave should a mountain lion come around? I don't think so, yet those signs DO tell us what to do and what NOT to do (such as run). Comparing a warning/informational sign about the dangers of mountain lions shouldn't (obviously) be compared to the woman who (allegedly) didn't expect her coffee to be as hot as it was. Were you just trying to be funny with that analogy?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Absolutely ! I can't imagine living that near or in cougar habitat. I think I would be looking over my shoulder constantly, I'm such a coward :/

Well, Idk, I actually do read signs, especially if I'm visiting a new area. But then I read everything, LOL.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree that the signs are a great idea in certain areas. That's why they are posted...Many people wouldn't know how to react to a mountain lion. But it's true that mountain lions live in unexpected areas, so we need to inform ourselves even without signs.

Of course, there will always be people who don't read or heed the signs. Yosemite is full of signs warning not to leave food in your car. People get their cars broken into by bears because they don't heed the signs. People also cross clearly marked barriers at the top of waterfalls, slip, fall and die. I've also watched parents let their children climb around on the barriers at the Grand Canyon.
:gaah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member